PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Special - Detroit the Movie - Soulful Shack 147 - online show

test

snakepit
08-30-2017, 01:23 PM
DETROIT SPECIAL

www.mixcloud.com/snakepit2648/

listen anytime on:
www.mixcloud.com/snakepit2648/

email : soulfulshack55@gmail.com

SOULFUL SHACK NO. 147

1 ALL BECAUSE OF YOU - DRAMATICS
2 WHERE ARE YOU - JOHNNY DIXON
3 LET'S GET BACK TOGETHER - HONEY BEES
4 DO YOU BELIEVE IT - JACK MONTGOMERY
5 MY MAN FLINT - BETTY BOO
6 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - LORRAINE CHANDLER
7 I SPY FOR THE FBI - LUTHER INGRAM
8 LOVE HIDES ALL FAULTS - JOHNNIE MAE MATTHEWS
9 I'LL KEEP ON TRYING - SILKY HARGRAVES
10 THAT'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME - DEON JACKSON
11 HEAD AND SHOULDERS - PATTI YOUNG
12 DOWN IN THE DUMPS - TONY HESTOR
13 THE REASON WHY - FOUR PROS
14 COULD IT BE - MIKKI FARROW
15 ALMOST - JIMMY DELPHS
16 MY DARLING BABY - EDWARD HAMILTON
17 NOW THAT I'VE GOT YOU BACK - J.J. BARNES
18 BINGO - DRAMATICS
19 AIN'T LOVE WONDERFUL - FANTASTIC FOUR
20 CAN'T SHAKE IT LOOSE - PAT LEWIS
21 THIS HEART IS LONELY - ROSE BATISTE
22 I'M SATISFIED - SAN REMO STRINGS

TomatoTom123
09-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Great show snakepit. I should probably go and see Detroit seeing as I am obsessed with Motown... lol

Again you have introduced me to many new names and songs... I literally have no idea who Ollie McLaughlin is but that's a great story about your friend and him. :)

TomatoTom123
09-04-2017, 07:33 PM
By the way I love those The Fantastic Four, Rose Batiste, Silky Hargraves and J.J. Barnes tracks especially... :)

snakepit
09-05-2017, 09:13 AM
Tom, Ollie was a BIG player in 60s Detroit...check this out....

http://www.hitsvillesoulclubs.com/olliemclaughlin.htm

Tom, glad you enjoyed the Detroit show, 100's of similar records from the Motor City that need to be heard.
I know that listening to new stuff is not easy, particularly in one session.
I have lots [[LOTS) of CDs that I have not played, many of the NS/rare variety or comps of labels .....you have to play a few times but you'll get there. the beauty of mixcloud is you can play repeatedly , re visit etc.

TomatoTom123
09-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Tom, Ollie was a BIG player in 60s Detroit...check this out....

http://www.hitsvillesoulclubs.com/olliemclaughlin.htm

Tom, glad you enjoyed the Detroit show, 100's of similar records from the Motor City that need to be heard.
I know that listening to new stuff is not easy, particularly in one session.
I have lots [[LOTS) of CDs that I have not played, many of the NS/rare variety or comps of labels .....you have to play a few times but you'll get there. the beauty of mixcloud is you can play repeatedly , re visit etc.

Thanks snakepit, that was a great read. Three labels of his own, all named after his daughters. Nice.

Yes, sometimes you have to let a song grow on you for you to truly appreciate it. I do recognise some of the artist names which always helps... lol

snakepit
09-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I find a CD player with a 'mix' /shuffle' facility helps....then you don't hear the same tracks ...you play tracks at random, they sink in....mostly!!
Don't be put off because artists names are unfamiliar.....many listen with their 'eyes'......and miss out on classic tracks.
100s of Silky Hargraves out there :)

TomatoTom123
09-06-2017, 07:03 PM
I find a CD player with a 'mix' /shuffle' facility helps....then you don't hear the same tracks ...you play tracks at random, they sink in....mostly!!
Don't be put off because artists names are unfamiliar.....many listen with their 'eyes'......and miss out on classic tracks.
100s of Silky Hargraves out there :)

Very true snakepit! I try and listen to new stuff by new artists but it's difficult to get into it sometimes... it just takes time to warm to them...!

And yep, shuffling is always good!!! :D

robb_k
09-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Thanks snakepit, that was a great read. Three labels of his own, all named after his daughters. Nice.

Yes, sometimes you have to let a song grow on you for you to truly appreciate it. I do recognise some of the artist names which always helps... lol
Ollie had many more labels, including Ruth, named after his wife, O-Mack, Poptone [[together with Popcorn Wylie, and others, and he also produced Barbara Lewis for Atlantic Records.