PDA

View Full Version : My Sound Of Philadelphia Blog

test

JimBagley
08-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Hi! I have started a blog on the music of my birthplace: Philadelphia, PA. So far I have written four entries [[The Volcanos' "Storm Warning", The Soul Survivors' "Expressway To Your Heart", The Formations' "At The Top Of The Stairs", and "The Horse" which was credited to Cliff Nobles). The entries so far are in date order, and will continue in that manner until I get to Back Stabbers in 1972 and the Philadelphia International label really takes off.
The recordings that I am discussing are all favorites from my youth and each recording contributed greatly to the evolution of The Sound Of Philadelphia in a different way. If a recording that you love has been omitted, it is not intended as a slight.
I would greatly appreciate feedback, and would love to hear about the singles you would like to see discussed in the future. Thank you for your time and if enjoy the blog, I hope you will subscribe. Jim.

https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/

marv2
08-30-2017, 12:13 AM
Thanks Jim! Philly is one of my hometowns.

Motown Eddie
09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
I just checked out your Phillly Soul blog Jim and I think it's great. I learned new things about two of my all-time favorite songs [["The Horse/Love Is All Right" & "Expressway To Your Heart"). I'll be looking forward to future entries. Keep up the good work.

Boogiedown
09-05-2017, 10:57 PM
I plan to follow your blog all the way Jim! :) Already impressive . AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS is an unknown song to me that I've since already played several times . Displays the Motown influence on early Leon Huff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBntvNs7ug
delightful !

I look forward to one day, hopefully , reading your take on The O'Jays ONE NIGHT AFFAIR , the first record, imo, to sound disco.

mr_june
09-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks for alerting us to your blog. Being a big Philly fan, I too will follow it and look forward to hearing things I've never heard before.

JimBagley
09-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Thank you to those of you who have checked out My Philly Music blog and special thanks to Marv, Eddie, Boogie, and Mr. June for your kind words and encouragement. My latest entry on The Delfonics' double-sided hit "Ready Or Not Here I Come/Somebody Loves You" is now online. Jim.

splanky
09-11-2017, 05:56 AM
Jim, I too, have been enjoying your blog and the Delfonics entry
is stellar. That group made an impact on so many from Funkadelic
to the Fugees to crazy man filmmaker Quentin Tarantino...I will be
waiting for more. Thank you...

jsmith
09-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Could I suggest you do a piece on the Showstoppers & "Ain't Nothing But a HouseParty".
This track didn't do too much [[chartwise) in the US though it was a massive UK pop chart hit in both 1968 and 1971 ... it was also re-released again here in 1972, 1976 & 1979 due to continued demand from soul fans.

JimBagley
09-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Thank you Splanky and JSmith for your feedback. I will be doing a blog entry on Ain't Nothing But A House Party someday. It is one of my favorite Philadelphia recordings.
Jim.

Motown Eddie
09-14-2017, 11:43 AM
I just read the piece on The Delfonics 'Ready Or Not/Somebody Loves You' single and it's another winner. Would you consider doing a piece on Jerry Butler's Philly Soul work with Gamble & Huff?

Motown Eddie
09-14-2017, 11:50 AM
I forgot to mention that another great feature of Jim's Philly Soul Blog is that he includes the chart positions of the songs that he reviews [[as well as a list of their various single/album/reissue releases).

JimBagley
09-14-2017, 02:06 PM
I just read the piece on The Delfonics 'Ready Or Not/Somebody Loves You' single and it's another winner. Would you consider doing a piece on Jerry Butler's Philly Soul work with Gamble & Huff?

Eddie,
My next blog entry is on Jerry Butler's Only The Strong Survive, which will deal with His collaborations with Gamble & Huff on Mercury Records.
Jim.

Motown Eddie
09-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Eddie,
My next blog entry is on Jerry Butler's Only The Strong Survive, which will deal with His collaborations with Gamble & Huff on Mercury Records.
Jim.

That's great Jim. I look forward to reading it. Thanks and keep up the good work.

JimBagley
09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
My blog entry on Jerry Butler's "Only The Strong Survive" is online at: https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/

Feedback is appreciated. Jim.

jsmith
09-21-2017, 03:02 AM
Jim, some great info in your piece on Jerry Butler ... one very small omission IMHO ... being a massive Curtis Mayfield fan, I'd have included the info that Curtis toured as Jerry's guitar player from around 1959 to 1961/2 ... no Philly connection to that fact [[other than Jerry / Curtis would have played the Uptown a number of times during that period).
But your article does include lots of detail that I was unaware of AND I'm a soul facts geek.

JimBagley
09-21-2017, 12:05 PM
JSmith,
Thank you for your feedback. The Jerry Butler entry was by far my longest piece to date. I decided to leave out a few things [[like Mayfield being Butler's guitarist during Butler's early years as a soloist, as well as Jerry Ross being Butler's producer at Mercury before Gamble & Huff, and Ross being Gamble's main songwriting collaborator before Huff) in an attempt to keep the story flowing. I hope I made the right choices. Jim.

Motown Eddie
09-23-2017, 06:03 AM
My blog entry on Jerry Butler's "Only The Strong Survive" is online at: https://jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com/

Feedback is appreciated. Jim.

Just read your piece on Jerry Butler's "Only The Strong Survive" and it's great. Something I'd like to add - according to the notes to The Philadelphia Sessions CD, neither Jerry nor Producers Gamble & Huff saw hit potential in the song. Then as you mentioned, a DJ in Dallas started playing the song as his sign-off song and the rest is music history. Keep up the good work.

Boogiedown
09-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Thank you Jim for the details concerning ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE !

I had mentioned earlier here that I thought that ONE NIGHT AFFAIR was the first record to have the "disco" sound. I didn't want to complicate things, so I didn't mention I've always felt that distinction should be shared with this record , each with their own reasons , and also because I'm not really sure which record was actually recorded first [[ONLY STRONG charted first). My confusion comes from the O'Jays poor [[dated) sound quality as compared to OTSS , which implies that it was recorded in an older less sophisticated studio and as you point out, Jim, OTSS wasn't:

Recording “Only The Strong Survive” and most of The Iceman Cometh at Joe Tarsia’s recently opened state of the art Sigma Sound Studio brought Philly music to new sonic heights

What a difference! This gives OTSS a much clearer expansive sound , one that would advance it into a new era of recording quality , whereas ONE NIGHT AFFAIR is disadvantaged as sounding like music from earlier times , even though really it wasn't . [[just a product of a lesser studio)
I won't go into this comparison completely , just a bit more about ONLY THE STRONG:
The clarity in the sound recording , it makes each instrument so much more significant, Vince's xylophone , the busy strings , Roland Chambers guitar, even the female back up , the clear presence of elements that helped define disco music. The primary TSOP disco cast of the future is involved here including Thom Bell and Bobby Martin.
The only thing holding this back from being disco is that the song's structure is disjointed , the storytelling being slower and non dancable, but when it shifts into its upbeat mode, all the needed elements are there, including its uplifting optimistic vibe. The churning baseline in OTSS is the same that will be brought back and used in Trammps songs like DISCO INFERNO and THAT'S WHERE THE HAPPY PEOPLE GO .

They obviously didn't recognize that they had pioneered a special new sound here , one that was about to grab the imagination of the public in a huge way: incredible that this would be the FOURTH single off the album and even then they had to be coerced into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPkd9ZQOtbI

listen two minutes on : there's one word for it : disco!

Boogiedown!

sophisticated_soul
09-26-2017, 02:40 AM
Your blog is awesome, Jim. And, like your many contributions to Goldmine, it is very well written.

I remember a few [[or so) years ago a Listener’s Choice show you did for Midnight Johnny’s “Night Flight” program. That show was my very first introduction to “At The Top Of The Stairs” by the Formations. And it totally blew my mind that I had not heard of the song before. I was in high school in 1968 and already knew all the mom and pop record stores in and around my [[predominately Black and Latino) neighborhood as well as the record stores downtown. But I had never heard of the song or group [[not even on Wolfman Jack’s programs). I couldn’t believe I had missed out on such a great song, which was exactly the type of music I was listening to. Anyway it was a great discovery – better late than never – and I love it.

Continued success with your blog, I look forward to reading future articles.:)

JimBagley
09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Thank you Joseph and Boogie for your feedback.
Joseph, "At The Top Of The Stairs" remains one of my favorite Philly recordings. I am psyched every time someone gets introduced to it and I was very happy to get to speak to John Madara about its creation.
Boogie, thank you for your thoughts on One Night Affair and Only The Strong Survive. The sound clarity on the latter was so key to its success and in the future success of Philadelphia International.

jsmith
09-28-2017, 02:20 AM
Jim, the blog is great. Don't take our observations as criticism.
BTW, I've got his book but haven't got around to reading it yet. But the above info will certainly help add colour to what [[no doubt) is in the book.

JimBagley
09-28-2017, 10:12 PM

BTW, I've got his book but haven't got around to reading it yet. But the above info will certainly help add colour to what [[no doubt) is in the book.

I appreciate all of the feedback provided on this site. I am trying to balance writing for knowledgeable folks [[such as the people on Soulful Detroit) & family and friends from the Delaware Valley who know little or nothing about the history of these records and TSOP. The balancing act also extends to the selection of the recordings in the blog. It might be more personally satisfying to discuss only lesser known gems like The Formations' "At The Top Of The Stairs", but the readers who are casual music fans most enjoy the entries on the huge hits like "Expressway To Your Heart" and "The Horse" which were a part of their lives [[and they were/are certainly a big part of my life too).

Jim.

Boogiedown
10-01-2017, 12:19 AM

Absolutely right . It's anything but :cool:.

I find Philly Soul as engaging as Motown and I'm glad you've created a blog Jim focusing on it , one which can be used as a springboard for further dialogue here !
So , a bit more on Jerry Butler . About that same period that Gamble and Huff were working on Jerry's album , they were also putting together one for the O'Jays: THE OJAYS IN PHILADELPHIA, which would include ONE NIGHT AFFAIR . I have to wonder if perhaps they didn't try out ONE NIGHT AFFAIR with Jerry Butler as well but for some reason shelved the idea. My reasoning is that somehow Jerry became aware of the song , and he didn't record it with Gamble and Huff even on their follow-up album , but it must have made an impression on him somehow along the way because a couple of years later a version of ONA resurfaces on one of Jerry's albums not associated with Gamble and Huff at all [[and recorded in Memphis) .
Re-examining that song paid off for Jerry Butler:
on the Soul Chart , the O'jays version peaked at #15,
--- Jerry's : at #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq3LC_USfc

Its a liberated attitude born of the sexual revolution .... none of this falling in love , committed relationship stuff ... honey, let's not pretend: --- I'm interested in you,yes , .... for a one night hook up that is :p !

jsmith
10-02-2017, 04:24 AM
RE: I find Philly Soul as engaging as Motown and I'm glad you've created a blog Jim focusing on it ....
. . . . . ... FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT . . . see this ... G&H talking about Philly Int back in early 1971 [[just as they had landed the distribution deal with Columbia & were out actively trying to get a higher profile for their expanding roster of artists ...

jsmith
10-02-2017, 04:26 AM
The TV show from the above piece ...

Boogiedown
10-04-2017, 01:03 AM
that is a great historical document jsmith :cool: Getting a national distribution deal with CBS [[under Clive Davis' leadership) eliminated so much of the headaches of independent distribution [[as Motown did) especially billing and shipping. Good stuff!

... now if I may , back to the song of focus:

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE , [[which I contend is one of the first songs ever to incorporate a disco sound)

--- Philly International gives it a full disco work out almost ten years later in 1977 under the voice of Billy Paul :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHV8_kIjTQs

but by 1977 the TSOP gang had been relegated to second and third tier players , and missing is the detail of Vince Montana's xylophone and the crucial churning bass line of the original . This version failed to incite.

Boogiedown
10-04-2017, 01:18 AM
and

a bit more.
Someone asked elsewhere here if Elvis recorded any Motown songs? Look forward to reading the answer to that . :)

Well, he did do Philly , at least once, this song in fact!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKP8SF-mYs
The xylophone is gone, the stings pulled too far back , but the churning baseline is maintained!

Did he do others ? I can't think of any ..:confused:.

jsmith
10-04-2017, 11:32 AM
An industry photo that might just prompt another blog entry .... from 1971 ...

Motown Eddie
10-04-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: I find Philly Soul as engaging as Motown and I'm glad you've created a blog Jim focusing on it ....
. . . . . ... FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT . . . see this ... G&H talking about Philly Int back in early 1971 [[just as they had landed the distribution deal with Columbia & were out actively trying to get a higher profile for their expanding roster of artists ...

Thanks for sharing this JSmith. I remember watching Soul! on PBS back in 1971 and I saw the episode featuring Billy Paul & The Ebonys. The show also spotlighted Gamble & Huff's then new label, Philadelphia International. And what a great contribution they would make to Soul Music during the '70s!

jsmith
10-07-2017, 05:14 AM
You'll have to do an entry on Bunny Sigler [[RIP) ... such a talent, making good records from the 50's thru past the 80's ...
An early one that showed his promise ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXRzuNd5jbQ

Motown Eddie
10-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Absolutely right . It's anything but :cool:.

I find Philly Soul as engaging as Motown and I'm glad you've created a blog Jim focusing on it , one which can be used as a springboard for further dialogue here !
So , a bit more on Jerry Butler . About that same period that Gamble and Huff were working on Jerry's album , they were also putting together one for the O'Jays: THE OJAYS IN PHILADELPHIA, which would include ONE NIGHT AFFAIR . I have to wonder if perhaps they didn't try out ONE NIGHT AFFAIR with Jerry Butler as well but for some reason shelved the idea. My reasoning is that somehow Jerry became aware of the song , and he didn't record it with Gamble and Huff even on their follow-up album , but it must have made an impression on him somehow along the way because a couple of years later a version of ONA resurfaces on one of Jerry's albums not associated with Gamble and Huff at all [[and recorded in Memphis) .
Re-examining that song paid off for Jerry Butler:
on the Soul Chart , the O'jays version peaked at #15,
--- Jerry's : at #6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcq3LC_USfc

Its a liberated attitude born of the sexual revolution .... none of this falling in love , committed relationship stuff ... honey, let's not pretend: --- I'm interested in you,yes , .... for a one night hook up that is :p !

While I don't know [[yet) if Gamble & Huff tried out "One Night Affair" with Jerry Butler before recording it with The O'Jays but I feel that Jerry's is the better version of the song.

Boogiedown
10-11-2017, 10:32 PM
[[while we await the next blog post)

While I don't know [[yet) if Gamble & Huff tried out "One Night Affair" with Jerry Butler before recording it with The O'Jays but I feel that Jerry's is the better version of the song.

What do you think of this one , Esther Phillips from 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtBi2Mbn5g

Motown Eddie
10-12-2017, 07:12 AM
I didn't know Esther Phillips did a version of 'One Night Affair' before hearing this. It's very good [[and a great 'answer record' to Jerry Butler's version of the song). Thanks Boogiedown!

Boogiedown
10-14-2017, 10:11 PM
you are most welcome . Got room for one more? I think this is the last one in the series. And another attempt in a disco style , yet imo not nearly as successful in that respect as the original O'Jay pre-disco version. By Samona Cooke [[???)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSh4y8RMzU

who knew the ladies of that era were such whor.... I mean so open and carefree !!:p

hit and run!

JimBagley
10-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Hi! Just added my latest blog entry on the instrumental "Keem-O-Sabe" by The Electric Indian [[Philly studio group that included Bobby Eli, Vince Montana, and Daryl Hall). Thank you for keeping this thread alive with the great discussion on "One Night Affair" and its various versions.
My day job has kept me busy and it's been a few weeks since my last blog post. Hope to have an interview with the performer on my next blog post. Be well. Jim.

Boogiedown
10-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Interesting choice Jim ! thanks!:cool:

When I first stumbled on this LP a few years back, I thought I'd found something really obscure. Until now, I had no idea that KEEM- O -SABE had been a Top Twenty Pop hit [[ it certainly wasn't in my neck of the woods) and also reached #6 Easy Listening of all things [[ I guess it's instrumental aspect contributed to that).

I noticed the "B" side of the single , "BROAD STREET", is not on the album .
What is on the LP though is their version of a tune you've already discussed :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRZ3JtHlbHk

Boogiedown
11-04-2017, 11:45 PM
oh ya
there are also a couple of Motown song covers on the LP . Here's I HEARD IT THOUGH THE GRAPEVINE :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFR5voB2ATQ

has a marching band quality to it to my ears .

JimBagley
11-15-2017, 03:47 PM
My latest entry on Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl" is now online. Jim.

Boogiedown
12-01-2017, 01:12 AM
My latest entry on Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl" is now online. Jim.

I'm not sure how much universal appeal the high squeaky voice of Eddie Holman could have eventually garnered , but WE LOVED his high-pitched wooooos with the masculine Trammps-like voices backing him in the gay discos of San Francisco back in 1977:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFo7Ioix43k

sweeping orchestrated disco perfection. Once again Philadelphia International really missed out by not having the distribution rights to this .

Motown4Ever518
12-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Jim,
I just became aware of your labor of love today and only had time to look at it briefly. I will delve further into it, but appreciate the love and care I see exhibited.I am absolutely knocked out by it. With apologies to my former singing neighbor in West Oak Lane, Joe Frazier and and his group the Knockouts. Who was while a credible song stylist had much more success in his other profession.

As a lover of the Philadelphia music scene this blog is very welcome, and I hope that the focus will help unearth more of the videos of these songs from the Hy Lit Show, or the Jerry Blavett show. Because while The Formations song "At The Top of The Stairs", is a great song, to see the 5 guys looking very sharp in their Krass Brothers Menswear supplied double breasted suits matched with a turtleneck sweater, is really experiencing the song.

JimBagley
12-24-2017, 04:13 PM
Jim,
I just became aware of your labor of love today and only had time to look at it briefly. I will delve further into it, but appreciate the love and care I see exhibited.I am absolutely knocked out by it. With apologies to my former singing neighbor in West Oak Lane, Joe Frazier and and his group the Knockouts. Who was while a credible song stylist had much more success in his other profession.

As a lover of the Philadelphia music scene this blog is very welcome, and I hope that the focus will help unearth more of the videos of these songs from the Hy Lit Show, or the Jerry Blavett show. Because while The Formations song "At The Top of The Stairs", is a great song, to see the 5 guys looking very sharp in their Krass Brothers Menswear supplied double breasted suits matched with a turtleneck sweater, is really experiencing the song.

“If you didn’t buy your suit from Krass Brothers, you wuz robbed.”

I loved their cheap 10-15 second commercials when I was a kid. I only went to Krass Brothers once. I went to Boyds men’s store more often, but they were expensive, so I could only afford one or two things.

Motown4Ever518
12-24-2017, 05:01 PM
I shopped a lot at Boyds......the window variety.

JimBagley
12-25-2017, 12:36 AM
My latest blog entry on the Philadelphia Christmas favorite "Merry Christmas All" by Denise Montana & The Salsoul Orchestra is now online. Merry Christmas all. Jim.

JimBagley
04-22-2018, 11:20 PM
My latest blog entry on Brenda and The Tabulations and "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" is now online. I am sorry it has been so long since my last entry. Jim

Motown Eddie
04-23-2018, 07:31 AM
My latest blog entry on Brenda and The Tabulations and "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" is now online. I am sorry it has been so long since my last entry. Jim

Hey Jim, welcome back. I enjoyed reading your entry on "Right On The Tip Of My Tongue" [[a true classic of early '70s Philly Soul). And another one of Brenda & the Tabulations' songs, "The Touch Of You", received a remake by Kool & the Gang [[on their Live At The Sex Machine LP).

manny
05-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Hello, Jim and all!

Great stuff by you all and great work on your great blog, Jim.

Sadly I have been without time for nothing during months and... I have seen your post and visited your blog TODAY [[!!). What a great pleasure as I'm a spanish Philly Soul lover since my teens.

[[My first vynil adquisition at 14 years - old was "Ship Ahoy" album by The O'Jays, after I was immediately in love with the song "Put Your Hands Together" that everyday was played on the turntable in the restaurant were I started working at the summer when finished the course in High Scool. I comes to the music store, they don't have the compilation "El Sonido de Filadelfia, Vol. 1" that sounded in the restaurant but they have the LP were belongs my favorite song). Since the summer of 1975 on, I never stoped to hear Soul music [[and jazz and fusion and other styles) but along the years I have spend thousands of hours hearding my favorite sound and artists: the sublime symphonic soul of Philadelphia and Chicago [[from The Chi-lites and Curtis to Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, passing trough Soulful Strings, MFSB, Jerry Butler, Bunny Sigler and Dee Dee Sharp).

A question that intrigate me is how difficult could be to compiles info about the quantity and diversity of Philly Soul outside productions [[if we consider the artists and labels who worked with G & H, Thom Bell, B-H-Y, V. Montana, B. Eli... from Fania All-Stars to Stanley Turrentine, passing trough Eddie Kendricks... from Capitol and Spring Records to Motown... the volume of the "Philly soul outside prods. stuff perhaps is bigger than the stuff from the strictly "Philly labels"...).

Cheers to all!

mr_june
05-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Hello, Jim and all!

Great stuff by you all and great work on your great blog, Jim.

Sadly I have been without time for nothing during months and... I have seen your post and visited your blog TODAY [[!!). What a great pleasure as I'm a spanish Philly Soul lover since my teens.

[[My first vynil adquisition at 14 years - old was "Ship Ahoy" album by The O'Jays, after I was immediately in love with the song "Put Your Hands Together" that everyday was played on the turntable in the restaurant were I started working at the summer when finished the course in High Scool. I comes to the music store, they don't have the compilation "El Sonido de Filadelfia, Vol. 1" that sounded in the restaurant but they have the LP were belongs my favorite song). Since the summer of 1975 on, I never stoped to hear Soul music [[and jazz and fusion and other styles) but along the years I have spend thousands of hours hearding my favorite sound and artists: the sublime symphonic soul of Philadelphia and Chicago [[from The Chi-lites and Curtis to Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, passing trough Soulful Strings, MFSB, Jerry Butler, Bunny Sigler and Dee Dee Sharp).

A question that intrigate me is how difficult could be to compiles info about the quantity and diversity of Philly Soul outside productions [[if we consider the artists and labels who worked with G & H, Thom Bell, B-H-Y, V. Montana, B. Eli... from Fania All-Stars to Stanley Turrentine, passing trough Eddie Kendricks... from Capitol and Spring Records to Motown... the volume of the "Philly soul outside prods. stuff perhaps is bigger than the stuff from the strictly "Philly labels"...).

Cheers to all!

Good observation Manny. Who, What, Where and When!

manny
05-15-2018, 06:52 PM
Good observation Manny. Who, What, Where and When!

Hey, mr_june!... this is a title song by The Tymes:D

A great salute!

https://youtu.be/n8HmAQuboLU

tjl
05-16-2018, 08:39 PM
would love to find The Showstoppers for an upcoming tv show, and The Formations...one of my biggest regrets in life was not having Jimmy and the guys do "A Lady's Man" when we probably could have made it happen.

JimBagley
05-31-2018, 07:18 AM
I hope you will check out my latest blog entry on The Stylistics' "You're A Big Girl Now". I was blessed to talk to Russell Thompkins, Jr. and clear up some contradicting information that exists about the group's early years and their first hit.

jsmith
05-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Showstoppers bits ...

jsmith
05-31-2018, 01:10 PM
More Showstoppers bits ...

marv2
05-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Jsmith.....Thank you!

Motown Eddie
06-01-2018, 05:47 AM
I hope you will check out my latest blog entry on The Stylistics' "You're A Big Girl Now". I was blessed to talk to Russell Thompkins, Jr. and clear up some contradicting information that exists about the group's early years and their first hit.

Hi Jim. Just read your informative piece on The Stylistics' first hit, "You're A Big Girl Now". Even though I feel that the group's best work was done with producer Thom Bell from 1971 thru 1974, I've always liked "You're A Big Girl Now" [[the song always reminds me of '50s 'doo-wop' groups). Keep up the fine work.

JimBagley
06-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Hi Jim. Just read your informative piece on The Stylistics' first hit, "You're A Big Girl Now". Even though I feel that the group's best work was done with producer Thom Bell from 1971 thru 1974, I've always liked "You're A Big Girl Now" [[the song always reminds me of '50s 'doo-wop' groups). Keep up the fine work.

Hi Eddie,

I strongly agree with you. The Thom Bell collaborations were the best [[I love the Hurry Up This Way Again production quite a lot too). You’re A Big Girl Now got them established and led them to Thom Bell, which is why I featured it.

We’re about to move into Philadelphia International with The Ebonys. JSmith, I was planning to eventually include The Showstoppers in a separate Philly Roots sub-blog. If I can work them in sooner, I will. Please message me.

Thanks,

Jim.

jsmith
06-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Jim, messaged you.

JimBagley
06-13-2018, 01:41 PM
My latest blog on the Ebonys' "You're The Reason Why" - the only hit on Philadelphia International during its first year in business - is now online. Feedback is welcome.

https://wordpress.com/stats/day/jimbagleyphillymusic.wordpress.com

Thanks,

Jim.

heikki
06-14-2018, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the blog, Jim.
Earlier I also talked with David Beasley about those early days, among others.

http://www.soulexpress.net/ebonys_interview.htm

Best regards
Heikki

JimBagley
06-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks for sharing this, Heikki. The Ebonys were all talented singers and had a unique sound. I wish one member’s personal issues hadn’t derailed the group.

soulster
06-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Very cool, Jim! You certainly caught my attention with the mention of "The Horse", one of my first exposures to The Sound Of Philadelphia! Man, I loved that record as a kid. I had my mom play it on repeat on the record player. Not that I think of it, that drummer sounds like Earl Young.

JimBagley
06-14-2018, 02:13 PM
Hi Soulster. The Horse was a huge part of my youth too.

Boogiedown
06-14-2018, 02:39 PM
My latest blog on the Ebonys' "You're The Reason Why" - the only hit on Philadelphia International during its first year in business - is now online. Feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Jim.
Good reading about the Ebonys!
Just so you know, this link didn't work for me, Jim. ?

Jasonaldean
06-14-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks for it.

JimBagley
06-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Good reading about the Ebonys!
Just so you know, this link didn't work for me, Jim. ?

Reposting the link. Hope this one works.

Motown Eddie
06-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Thanks,

Jim.

Just read your article about The Ebonys. Very detailed account of the group [[I had no idea what happened to them after "It's Forever" 'til reading this). I first heard of the group when they were featured on the PBS series Soul performing "You're The Reason Why".

Boogiedown
06-15-2018, 02:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYSlHkfL-s

SEXY WAYS

And the b-side sounds pretty good too, especially the orchestration.

JimBagley
06-21-2018, 01:25 AM
Is anyone else looking forward to the new Jean Carne two CD set Don't Let It Go To Your Head: The Anthology which is being released on Friday. Several of the 32 tracks on this SoulMusic Records release haven't been available on CD in years. It also makes a nice supplement to the single CD Closer Than Close: Best Of which covers highlights of her solo career across several labels. About half of Don't Let It Go To Your Head focuses on Jean's Philadelphia International albums and the other half highlights her guest appearance duets over the years. Most of the tracks on the out of print Collaborations CD are included on the Don't Let It Go To Your Head Anthology. One notable omission is Jean's wonderful duet with Billy Paul on "Good Thing Going On".
Are you planning to get this new Jean Carne double disc set, and why or why not? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Jim.

marv2
06-21-2018, 05:32 PM
I remember the Ebonys from "It's Forever". Weren't they from Camden?

JimBagley
06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
I remember the Ebonys from "It's Forever". Weren't they from Camden?

Yes. And the three surviving Ebonys still live in south Jersey.

marv2
06-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Yes. And the three surviving Ebonys still live in south Jersey.

Thank you Jim. They made their mark however brief. So much talent.

mark speck
07-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Just checked out your blog, Jim...very nice, but I have to disagree with your choice of "Storm Warning". I think "The 81" by Candy and the Kisses would've been a better choice, but hey, it's not my blog. Maybe an entry on Candy and the Kisses is in order?

Best,

Mark

Bluebrock
07-05-2018, 02:36 AM
Is anyone else looking forward to the new Jean Carne two CD set Don't Let It Go To Your Head: The Anthology which is being released on Friday. Several of the 32 tracks on this SoulMusic Records release haven't been available on CD in years. It also makes a nice supplement to the single CD Closer Than Close: Best Of which covers highlights of her solo career across several labels. About half of Don't Let It Go To Your Head focuses on Jean's Philadelphia International albums and the other half highlights her guest appearance duets over the years. Most of the tracks on the out of print Collaborations CD are included on the Don't Let It Go To Your Head Anthology. One notable omission is Jean's wonderful duet with Billy Paul on "Good Thing Going On".
Are you planning to get this new Jean Carne double disc set, and why or why not? Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Jim.
It is a great compilation Jim. Closer than close is a glaring omission but it is available as you say on the previous compilation as well as the original closer than close album. As regards the duet with Billy Paul, that track will possibly appear on the forthcoming Billy Paul anthology planned for early 2019. It is proving very difficult to licence but we must never give up!
Glad to see another Jean Carne fan out there!

manny
07-05-2018, 08:03 AM
Excuse me for the "off topic". Talking about the great jazz-soul vocalist Jean Carn, I have read in books and in the web about "the poor interest by Gamble & Huff in producing female solo artists" [[!!!!!, ?????). From the begining, in their own labels and as outside producers to the last years in front of PIR and sibsidiaries they have produced DIVAS as Dee Dee Sharp, Jean Carn, Phyllis Hyman, Patti LaBelle, Shirley Jones, Nancy wilson, Leslie Gore, Dee Dee Warwick, Laura Nyro, Dusty Springfield, Carolyn Crawford, Louise Williams & Isaac Douglas... I don't understand where is their lack of capacity to produce female vocalists [[or the music criticals talks without any knowledge!)

Cheers to all

jaybs
07-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Hi Soulster. The Horse was a huge part of my youth too.

Definitely used it so much on my radio programme!

JimBagley
07-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Just checked out your blog, Jim...very nice, but I have to disagree with your choice of "Storm Warning". I think "The 81" by Candy and the Kisses would've been a better choice, but hey, it's not my blog. Maybe an entry on Candy and the Kisses is in order?

Best,

Mark

Hi Mark,
My next two blog entries will cover key Philly roots recordings between 1957 and 1970 before I jump into the prime Philadelphia International years with the O’Jays Backstabbers album. Candy & the Kisses Do The 81 will be one of the recordings covered [[in the second entry).
Thanks for your input,
Jim

JimBagley
07-06-2018, 03:15 PM
A Billy Paul Anthology will be most welcome. Will it be two discs? I currently need to play three separate collections to cover all of his highlights! I hope you are planning to include Billy’s “The Whole Town’s Talking”. Even though it wasn’t released as a single in the US, It is probably Billy’s most played recording in Philadelphia after “Me And Mrs Jones”.
I wish you the very best in licensing Billy’s duet with Jean Carne. It deserves to be anthologized among Billy’s best recordings. Jim

Bluebrock
07-07-2018, 02:50 AM
A Billy Paul Anthology will be most welcome. Will it be two discs? I currently need to play three separate collections to cover all of his highlights! I hope you are planning to include Billy’s “The Whole Town’s Talking”. Even though it wasn’t released as a single in the US, It is probably Billy’s most played recording in Philadelphia after “Me And Mrs Jones”.
I wish you the very best in licensing Billy’s duet with Jean Carne. It deserves to be anthologized among Billy’s best recordings. Jim
Hi Jim. Yes, it will be a 2 disc anthology, and "the whole town's talking" will be on there. The Jean Carne duet is proving to be more of a challenge, but that's what makes life so interesting! I will keep you informed, but we are currently looking at an early 2019 release date. Sales of straight re-issues of classic albums are slowly declining. Some recent releases have sold less than 1000 copies so you can see why record companies are reluctant to licence these albums. Anthologies generally sell more copies, and that is the general focus for the immediate future. Look out for a fab Gladys Knight and the Pips columbia and mca anthology coming soon.

jsmith
07-07-2018, 06:49 AM
November 64 ...

manny
07-07-2018, 12:18 PM
A very good Billy paul anthology was the PIR 1980 duble LP "Best Of Billy Paul". What a great selection! Here I discovered two, IMHO, great songs: "Next To Nature" and "My Old Flame" that I don't have heard before [[in fact I think no one belongs to none album, ?). Is a little sad that for general public Paul's seems a "one-hit-wonder" [["Me & Mrs. Jones") despite the fact his albums collection and the quality of so many songs, from "When It's Your Time To Go", "Where I Belong", "How Good Is Your Game",... or the 80's albums on Total Experience and Ichiban, with "delicatessen" tracks as "Sexual Therapy".

jsmith
07-29-2018, 05:28 AM
Jumping back to the Showstoppers items talked about earlier in this thread ... came across this Spanish 7" record that has a track credited to the Showstoppers. Daft thing was, the tracks were licensed from a UK based 'cheap cover versions' label [[CANNON) who put out loads of stuff back in the UK. The Showstoppers track however didn't seem to ecape in the UK [[strange). . . . Most of the acts on Cannon were musicians / singers with some history who did these 'quick recording sessions' anonymously to make a bit of beer money on the side [[Elton John did such sessions from the mid to late 60's for instance). 14488

JimBagley
08-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Before I move on to the O’Jays’ Backstabbers album [[1972) and delve into the Philly Sound during its peak years, I decided to highlight over four blog entries some earlier singles that played a role in the city’s musical evolution. These first five tracks were recorded between 1957 and 1961. Please post in the comments section of the blog [[not here) your favorite Philly songs from this time period. Part 2 will be following shortly covering 1962-63 [[I have already done the write-ups on four of the five singles as I was originally going to do the first two parts as one entry). Thanks again for your support and thanks to the anonymous lurkers from Soulful Detroit who visit the blog. Jim

JimBagley
08-10-2018, 10:57 PM
I just posted the second entry in my Philly Roots blog series. This entry highlights five singles recorded in 1962 or 1963.

Boogiedown
08-16-2018, 02:00 AM
Nice work, Jim!
Speaking of Bobby Rydell, as a tangent, in 1976 he re-did his 1960 Top 15 hit "SWAY" in a disco hustle format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5dgCFTtQnU

Don't know if he recorded this later version in Philadelphia, sounds more like New York style to me, although there are some Vince Montana type vibes heard in the break.:cool:

verajay
08-21-2018, 05:19 PM
My favorite Philly artistrY Intruders,Patti and the Emblems,Barbara Mason,The Delfonics,First Choice, Soul Survivors,Three Degrees, any info on them! I was hurt what happened to lol Sonny!

verajay
08-21-2018, 05:26 PM
I forget candy and the kisses,they had a kind of Motown sound! Blue Magic! I left the major artists out because they're the best! But was loleatta a Philly or Salsoul artist!

JimBagley
08-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Verajay,
Thank you for posting. Three of the acts you mentioned will be profiled in the third part of Philly Roots. Another one will be in part 4.

JimBagley
07-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Jim's Music Of Philadelphia has a new posting on some of the highlights from 1964-65. I hope you will check it out and add comments on what some of your favorite Philly music tracks were from that two-year period. I have started work on the follow-up Philly roots blog entry. It will either cover five tracks from 1966-67 or seven-eight tracks from 1966-70. Jim

JimBagley
07-27-2019, 08:22 PM
The highlighted singles include:
-Mixed Up Shook Up Girl by Patty & the Emblems
-The 81 by Candy and the Kisses
-You Gave Me Somebody To Love by the Dreamlovers
-Yes I’m Ready by Barbara Mason
-1-2-3 by Len Barry
-I Really Love You by Dee Dee Sharp

Boogiedown
07-28-2019, 01:12 PM
good to see you back in the saddle again Jim!

Would it be fair to say Len Barry's 1-2-3 opened the door to the wave of "bubble gum" records that came out in the late sixties?

Also , never knew Kenny Gamble could be heard as part of the male response on YES I'M READY. would love to know how that came about . Will his voice be heard again in the future? [[ I did not know the record was so solidly TSOP )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNHGlowwHF8

Barbara seems a very pretty , well poised young girl...seventeen , at most eighteen ... in this video it looks like there are three guys [[ Kenny?)in suits "singing" the male parts , but get no airtime!!!

woodward
07-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Jim: One of my all time favorites on the Parkway label was The Conqueror b/w You Done Me Wrong released in 1963 by Tootie & the Bouquets, Parkway 887. I know nothing about the group, and was wondering if this is available on any CD floating around the universe today. Was wondering who the members were and was this the only release they had? How did it get in the top R&B charts [[if at all). Great song. Brings back a lot of great memories.

JimBagley
07-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Bill,
I have never seen either side of that Tootie & the Bouquets single on a CD [[although it may have appeared on a various artist UK collection. Both sides were available at one time as mp3s [[not my format). They really should have included "The Conquerer" on the Cameo-Parkway CD box set [[among many others).

Boogie,
Since Barbara is lipsyncing "Yes, I'm Ready", there doesn't seem to be any need to have the real backup singers present. Plus, Kenny was pretty busy by this point with songwriting and arranging and producing assignments [[and background sessions). Weldon was "wearing a lot of hats" too.

Jim.

jboy88
07-28-2019, 09:52 PM
I knew Kenny Gamble sang on “Yes I’m Ready”, but I didn’t know Weldon McDougal was involved. Keep up the good work, Jim! Looking forward to the hit making era.

marv2
07-28-2019, 10:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Heikki. The Ebonys were all talented singers and had a unique sound. I wish one member’s personal issues hadn’t derailed the group.

My brother and his friends had a little group and they use to sing the Ebony's song "Forever".

JimBagley
08-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Jim's Music Of Philadelphia has a new posting featuring six singles from 1966-67. I hope you will check it out and add comments on what some of your favorite Philly music tracks were from that two-year period. The highlighted singles are:
*The Intruders - “[[We’ll Be) United” and “Together”
*Lorraine Ellison - “Stay With Me”
*The Showstoppers - “Ain’t Nothin’ But A House Party”
*Jay & the Techniques - “Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie”
*Ronnie Walker - “Really, Really Love You”

Thank you for checking it out,
Jim

mr_june
08-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Hi Mark,
My next two blog entries will cover key Philly roots recordings between 1957 and 1970 before I jump into the prime Philadelphia International years with the O’Jays Backstabbers album. Candy & the Kisses Do The 81 will be one of the recordings covered [[in the second entry).
Thanks for your input,
Jim

Please don't leave out the Ojay's 1970, Neptune album "In Philadelphia." A great album that for some reason is left out of the conversation on mentions of the group. Along with "Backstabgers" they are my favorite Ojay's albums.

thatanyway
08-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Great blog! And great thread too! ^

Boogiedown
08-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Jim's Music Of Philadelphia has a new posting featuring six singles from 1966-67. I hope you will check it out and add comments on what some of your favorite Philly music tracks were from that two-year period. The highlighted singles are:
*The Intruders - “[[We’ll Be) United” and “Together”
*Lorraine Ellison - “Stay With Me”
*The Showstoppers - “Ain’t Nothin’ But A House Party”
*Jay & the Techniques - “Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie”
*Ronnie Walker - “Really, Really Love You”

Thank you for checking it out,
Jim

Really good stuff Jim! Thanks!!!!!

APPLES PEACHES PUMPKIN PIE, seem like such unlikely lyrics, I'm not sure why they are teamed up together? but I like the flow of the phrase and its a song I always seem to enjoy. 'Exceptionally catchy' as you put it Jim.
I had no idea it was a mixed race group [[or what race period for that matter) , or that Jay Proctor was the only 'true' member being heard on the release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njDmUMhfa0

sophisticated_soul
08-28-2019, 05:52 AM
Happy Birthday Jim!:)

JimBagley
08-28-2019, 01:11 PM
Happy Birthday Jim!:)

Thank you very much Joseph. I gave myself a deadline to get my latest blog entry published before my birthday.

sophisticated_soul
08-28-2019, 02:41 PM
You're welcome Jim. Have the best day ever!

PS: You're thread is awesome.

mr_june
08-29-2019, 02:52 PM
I don't know the date of your birthday but hope you enjoyed it.

JimBagley
04-26-2020, 02:41 PM
My Music of Philly blog on some of my favorite Philly-related recordings from 1968-70 is now online. It features songs by Archie Bell & the Drells, the Intrigues, Dusty Springfield, the Festivals and Odds & Ends. I hope you will check it out. What are some of your favorite Philly tracks from that time period?

On my blog, I had left off at the Ebony's in 1971 and then back-tracked to look at 26 of my favorites prior to that time period [[1957-1970). My next blog will be on the O'Jays' Back Stabbers album from 1972.

Be well. Stay safe. Jim

jboy88
04-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Glad to see you back at it. Good work as usual.

Motown Eddie
04-26-2020, 04:13 PM
It's good to see your Music of Philly Blog again Jim. Looking forward to your next one.

splanky
04-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Thank goodness, Jim! Love your blog...:) Stay safe as well...

mr_june
04-27-2020, 03:25 PM
Yes, please keep it going. I just went through it again and couldn't stop till I got to the bottom. I was wondering if you did a blog covering the Ojays first album on Neptune, "In Philadelphia."

JimBagley
04-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Yes, please keep it going. I just went through it again and couldn't stop till I got to the bottom. I was wondering if you did a blog covering the Ojays first album on Neptune, "In Philadelphia."

Hi Mr. June.
I did not touch on the O'Jays in Philadelphia yet because I knew I would be discussing the O'Jays in depth after I finished the five Philly Roots entries which took me a lot longer to get through than I had originally planned [[life happened).

Be well.

Jim.

mr_june
04-28-2020, 06:59 PM
Hi Mr. June.
I did not touch on the O'Jays in Philadelphia yet because I knew I would be discussing the O'Jays in depth after I finished the five Philly Roots entries which took me a lot longer to get through than I had originally planned [[life happened).

Be well.

Jim.

Ok and thanks Jim. I look forward to reading that blog. You and yours be safe also.

marv2
05-07-2020, 04:33 PM
My Music of Philly blog on some of my favorite Philly-related recordings from 1968-70 is now online. It features songs by Archie Bell & the Drells, the Intrigues, Dusty Springfield, the Festivals and Odds & Ends. I hope you will check it out. What are some of your favorite Philly tracks from that time period?

On my blog, I had left off at the Ebony's in 1971 and then back-tracked to look at 26 of my favorites prior to that time period [[1957-1970). My next blog will be on the O'Jays' Back Stabbers album from 1972.

Be well. Stay safe. Jim

One of my favorites from that period was "One Night Affair" by the O'Jays. Loved that record.

JimBagley
05-07-2020, 04:52 PM
One of my favorites from that period was "One Night Affair" by the O'Jays. Loved that record.

As I work on the O'Jays' blog, I have been playing the In Philadelphia album that contains "One Night Affair" A LOT.

Be well.

Jim.

mr_june
05-07-2020, 11:10 PM
That album is sometimes left out of the picture when discussing the group. They skip by it and go to the Back Stabbers album. I like all of the songs on the album with the exception of Something and Little Green Apples. They are not bad but seem out of place on this album.

jsmith
05-09-2020, 04:49 AM
The Showstoppers live on UK TV [[back in 71) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv8wPwt93o

jsmith
05-09-2020, 04:52 AM
A UK group who did minor gigs in their own right BUT who also backed up visiting US soul acts on their late 1960's UK tours. ... here they do a gig in their own right at a top UK soul club back in summer 68. As the ad says; they had just been contracted to be the backing band on the Showstoppers [[then) upcoming UK tour ...
for some reason [[were they in the studio in Philly or doing US promo gigs) the tour slipped back from having a mid October start date to an early November start date ... they stayed in the UK for around a month ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv8wPwt93o

jsmith
05-09-2020, 04:54 AM
More Showstoppers footage ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzN5e04WmiM

jsmith
05-09-2020, 05:07 AM
Showstoppers montage ... includes ad for UK gig in mid May 1970 ... still touring here on the strength of "Houseparty" ...

jsmith
05-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Two gigs on the Showstoppers Nov / Dec 68 UK tour ... the Twisted Wheel in Manchester [[the most iconic UK soul club) & the Palais De Dance, Mansfield + 2 of the group's later 45 releases ...

jsmith
05-09-2020, 07:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU-mxCHBdJU