PDA

View Full Version : The Pearls

test

lakeside
08-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Does anyone out there know anything about this group?
I bought the CD years ago. Being a British group, there
wasn't that much information on them here. I particularly like their version of, "Third Finger, Left Hand".
Are they still performing? Any news on them?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51A15YMVGTL.jpg

TomatoTom123
08-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Hi lakeside, I had never heard of the group [[duo!) before, but I'm checking them out right now, and, well, I like them! Very nice British blue-eyed pop-soul sound in that '60s girl group vein. I looked them up and there's not a great deal of info out there, but they do have their own Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pearls

Looks like they actually had quite a major hit in Britain with a song by the name of "Guilty", which went to #10 on the UK Singles Chart.

Wikipedia seems to suggest that the group broke up and that's about it. Both members, Lyn Cornell and Ann Simmons, worked with other groups before and after their time as Pearls. Lyn now lives in London apparently but there is no mention of either still performing, sadly. This is just Wikipedia though, so you never know...

lakeside
08-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Thanks for that info., Tom. I've enjoyed the CD over the years. I see it's now listed at $45 on amazon. Glad I bought my copy long ago for a whole bunch less.

TomatoTom123
08-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Hey no problem, lakeside. Yea, that CD looks good and has quite detailed liner notes according to Wiki. The album is also available on iTunes but it appears to be missing the three tracks that the sticker on it claims are included: "Guilty", "You Came, You Saw, You Conquered" and "Third Finger, Left Hand", which is both weird and annoying! ;)

lakeside
08-12-2017, 09:47 PM
Hey no problem, lakeside. Yea, that CD looks good and has quite detailed liner notes according to Wiki. The album is also available on iTunes but it appears to be missing the three tracks that the sticker on it claims are included: "Guilty", "You Came, You Saw, You Conquered" and "Third Finger, Left Hand", which is both weird and annoying! ;)

"Third Finger, Left Hand" is my favorite song on the CD. Too bad it's not available on iTunes.

daviddesper
08-12-2017, 10:17 PM
Is this the group that did "Doctor Love?" If so, I had never heard of them, but that song came up on Pandora one night and I loved it. I did buy the CD but goodness only knows where it is buried in my rotation?

lakeside
08-13-2017, 08:15 AM
Is this the group that did "Doctor Love?" If so, I had never heard of them, but that song came up on Pandora one night and I loved it. I did buy the CD but goodness only knows where it is buried in my rotation?

Yes, David, they did "Doctor Love".

55Motown
08-16-2017, 12:12 PM
The Pearls sang the original version of 'Guilty' which was then covered by Philly group First Choice. One of the writers of it, Ron Roker, is a colleague. He wrote amongst other things, 'Stone cold love affair' for The Real Thing, and wait for it 'Rupert the bear'! Also 'Storm in a tea cup' by The Fortunes. He also is the male vocal of the Sweet Dreams version of the ABBA song 'Honey honey'.

Just like The Pearls, check out The Paper Dolls version of The Beach Boys number 'Darlin' which has a very danceable 60s beat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBKI2O3SqYc