PDA

View Full Version : For Martha fans

test

lakeside
08-11-2017, 06:41 AM
http://www.importcds.com/live-in-concert/741157893427

May or may not be of interest. Not sure what it amounts to.

BigAl
08-11-2017, 06:55 AM
I wonder what the date of the recording is. Listening to the previews, it sounds fairly recent, since Martha is doing all that strange trilling up and down, and is using the funny vibrato. I wish she'd just sing the songs "straight" and not add all those flourishes. While it's impressive that she can hit those stratospheric notes, most fans would prefer to hear more faithful renditions of her hits.

PeaceNHarmony
08-11-2017, 07:10 AM
The vendor seems like a great place for cd purchases; thanks for the link.

reese
08-11-2017, 09:04 AM
This was released as a cd/dvd set back in 2012. It is pretty good and captures what a current Vandellas show is like.

copley
08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Words fail me!

144man
08-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I wonder what the date of the recording is. Listening to the previews, it sounds fairly recent, since Martha is doing all that strange trilling up and down, and is using the funny vibrato. I wish she'd just sing the songs "straight" and not add all those flourishes. While it's impressive that she can hit those stratospheric notes, most fans would prefer to hear more faithful renditions of her hits.

I'll never forgive producer, Richard Perry for giving Martha Reeves her "new voice". I liked her old one much better.

marv2
08-11-2017, 07:11 PM
This pretty much Martha today although it was released in August 2012. It's worth having for any Martha & the Vandellas fans in my opinion.

lakeside
08-11-2017, 07:48 PM
This pretty much Martha today although it was released in August 2012. It's worth having for any Martha & the Vandellas fans in my opinion.

Marv, do you know if the Vandella's are on this?

longtimefan
08-11-2017, 07:52 PM

It was issued with two different covers, a couple of years apart. I am quite certain that Lois and Delphine are on in because they are pictured. I haven't listened to it in ages; they "may" even be introduced.

longtimefan
08-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Back cover with track listing and picture.

lakeside
08-11-2017, 08:18 PM

It was issued with two different covers, a couple of years apart. I am quite certain that Lois and Delphine are on in because they are pictured. I haven't listened to it in ages; they "may" even be introduced.

Thank you longtimefan.

BigAl
08-11-2017, 09:24 PM
I'll never forgive producer, Richard Perry for giving Martha Reeves her "new voice". I liked her old one much better.

When I asked Martha once about the stylistic change, she did not attribute it to Perry, but instead contended that it was a manifestation of her being born again. She said that, once she had that epiphany, she discovered that she could go an octave higher than before, without straining as she had before. As she put it, she said that she found that the notes were being "pulled" out of her, rather effortlessly, rather than being "pushed," as she had been doing theretofore. I actually liked the change on that first solo Perry-produced album, but after a while she seemed to just take it to greater and greater extremes, to the point that it's difficult for me to listen to now. Sometimes it reminds me of a theremin [[or, worse, one of those slide whistles I used to have as a kid). Granted, the notes are high and clear, but she slides up and down to the point that it's almost unearthly in a way, and doesn't lend itself very well to the songs which made her famous. Very few vocalists besides Yma Sumac could get away with that sort of thing.

marv2
08-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Marv, do you know if the Vandella's are on this?

I am almost certain that they are. Let me give a listen to another sample.

marv2
08-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Yes, the Vandellas are on there. I am surprised that "Heatwave" isn't.

marv2
08-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Heatwave is on this set by the way.

longtimefan
08-11-2017, 11:36 PM
By the way, this was a two disc set --- One a DVD of the live performance and the other a CD of the same performance.

lakeside
08-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Just received my Martha CD/DVD set. I haven't seen the video, yet, but just listened to the CD. Overall, I really liked it. On a few of the
songs, Martha let loose with those stratospheric operatic runs and you held onto your chair. But, bless her heart, the lady was around 71 years old when this was recorded. What was nice was Lois and Delphine were miked right up there with Martha...they were loud and clear.
The band sounded tight. Look forward to seeing the DVD.

longtimefan
08-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Just received my Martha CD/DVD set. I haven't seen the video, yet, but just listened to the CD. Overall, I really liked it. On a few of the
songs, Martha let loose with those stratospheric operatic runs and you held onto your chair. But, bless her heart, the lady was around 71 years old when this was recorded. What was nice was Lois and Delphine were miked right up there with Martha...they were loud and clear.
The band sounded tight. Look forward to seeing the DVD.

Good for you, lakeside. That's what I always like to say that is best about SDF, i. e., sharing information about the music and helping fellow fans. Enjoy!

lakeside
08-17-2017, 10:26 PM
Good for you, lakeside. That's what I always like to say that is best about SDF, i. e., sharing information about the music and helping fellow fans. Enjoy!

Thank you, longtimefan.