PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Version: Kim Weston/TAKE ME IN YOUR ARMS [[ROCK ME A LITTLE WHILE)

test

Methuselah2
08-07-2017, 10:20 PM
https://youtu.be/KOEwslR4o6Y

Many, many thanks to Tomovox for this great YouTube posting and beautiful video.

RanRan79
08-08-2017, 09:54 AM
I can definitely understand why the vocal was recut. This version is cool but the released version is excellent.

John G. Stumpf
08-08-2017, 10:34 AM
This alternate version is a masterpiece and the released version pales in comparison. Berry Gordy thought it was too black. Fortunately, we can hear it today and appreciate Kim Weston's intensity.

luke
08-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Oh John you are right. I love this and Kim's seeming ad libs! Is her vocal mixed back a bit?

TomatoTom123
08-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Oh, NICE! I didn't know there was an alternate version of this fantastic song. It's similar but Kim's vocal is feistier!!! Love it. I still have to go with the original though, just 'cause it's the one I'm familiar with. Thanks for posting, methuselah :D

Methuselah2
08-09-2017, 12:57 AM
My pleasure, TT123. Glad you enjoyed hearing it. Like you, I prefer the original, too. The alternate version has great touches that Kim worked with her voice, making it almost come off like a live recording. But the original version is diamond-hard and, as you say, its familiarity after so many years just makes it hard to dispute. It was one of those recordings that just couldn't be improved on. Like Kim herself.

marv2
08-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Kim had a beautiful voice and knew how to use it.

RanRan79
08-09-2017, 10:57 AM
This version starts off a little shakey IMO, before Kim tears into it. The released version kicks off with a typical Kim steadiness before she tears into it. The released version just can't be beat IMO. The producers had the right idea to recut it.

huntergettingcaptured
08-09-2017, 02:05 PM
https://youtu.be/KOEwslR4o6Y

Many, many thanks to Tomovox for this great YouTube posting and beautiful video.
Thanks for such a nice rave for the video, Methuselah! When I first heard that alternate version, it just about blew me out of the house, through the roof. I have to wonder if Kim just felt like, let me just go for it and put everyone away this time around, knowing it probably would never see the light of day. While I absolutely love it, like other commenters here, I think the right choice was made in releasing the one we all know and love.

Kim is amazing. She sang this song as full-out gospel, and then when she appeared on Hullabaloo to perform this [[on that famously HIGH pedestal) she sang it with such reserve that she gave it a whole new spin. Wow!

RanRan79
08-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for such a nice rave for the video, Methuselah! When I first heard that alternate version, it just about blew me out of the house, through the roof. I have to wonder if Kim just felt like, let me just go for it and put everyone away this time around, knowing it probably would never see the light of day. While I absolutely love it, like other commenters here, I think the right choice was made in releasing the one we all know and love.

Kim is amazing. She sang this song as full-out gospel, and then when she appeared on Hullabaloo to perform this [[on that famously HIGH pedestal) she sang it with such reserve that she gave it a whole new spin. Wow!

The song has a real gospel feel to it. I agree with you Hunter, I think she heard the track and figured to just let go. Kim really is amazing. I've said it before, say what you want about the way Motown treated it's female artists, but the company sure knew how to pick 'em.

John G. Stumpf
08-09-2017, 07:49 PM
Kim had a beautiful voice and knew how to use it.
I never cared for this record until i heard this mix. I asked a buddy to e-mail me some info about her. I cannot believe how little this record sold despite going to number 4 on the charts r and b. I think this is why her album was cancelled. For 1965 the original mix was the right one to release.

TomatoTom123
08-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I never cared for this record until i heard this mix. I asked a buddy to e-mail me some info about her. I cannot believe how little this record sold despite going to number 4 on the charts r and b. I think this is why her album was cancelled. For 1965 the original mix was the right one to release.

Hey John, you didn't like Kim's "Take Me In Your Arms" until hearing this version? Wow. I mean, this mix is very similar to the released version [[I couldn't even tell the difference until 30 seconds in) so I like them both. The released version sounds more 'polished' to me though so I have to go with that one. Also the sound quality is better [[always gotta have that sound quality, lol) :)

John G. Stumpf
08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
I noticed the difference in the vocal immediately. I listened to the original again, which doesn't interest me. This mix sparked an interest in Kim Weston and i am ordering all of those post Motown albums that didn't chart off of ebay.

huntergettingcaptured
08-10-2017, 02:39 AM
I noticed the difference in the vocal immediately. I listened to the original again, which doesn't interest me. This mix sparked an interest in Kim Weston and i am ordering all of those post Motown albums that didn't chart off of ebay.

John, I totally get where you're coming from. It's funny how sometimes the smallest thing will flip your feelings for a song. There is a Martha & The Vandellas song, "Can't Break The Habit." the version that appeared on one of those 2-album CDs didn't interest me much, but there is an alternate vocal version on an LP that came out some years ago that I'll play over and over. Same thing with Martha's "Sweet Darling." Never really was that big on it in its mono mix, but when I heard an alternate mix [[and vocal) on that same CD, suddenly it was one of the best things I'd ever heard. Sometimes the ears can pick up those little things that make all the difference.

John G. Stumpf
08-10-2017, 02:52 AM
Bear with me, i am still discovering the catalog of Motown. Once i heard this mix i had Kim Weston fever. My friend forwarded her record sales at Motown which were next to nothing. It takes two is the only record that sold. The greatest hits and rare classics has the album she recorded that was shelved. Many of her albums after Motown are out of print. I ordered them off ebay and plan to do a 24 bit remastering of them.

She also did some acting i was told.

huntergettingcaptured
08-10-2017, 03:09 AM
Bear with me, i am still discovering the catalog of Motown. Once i heard this mix i had Kim Weston fever. My friend forwarded her record sales at Motown which were next to nothing. It takes two is the only record that sold. The greatest hits and rare classics has the album she recorded that was shelved. Many of her albums after Motown are out of print. I ordered them off ebay and plan to do a 24 bit remastering of them.

She also did some acting i was told.

Yes, she did some acting in theaters I believe and also did a turn on the old Bill Cosby Show in the 70s, [[not the one from the 80's) She played Bill's girlfriend I believe and was good. I think the episode is on You Tube. That woman is a gem. She saw her singing career for what it was, never seemed bitter that Motown didn't turn her into a super star. She is involved in community affairs and has been since the 70's I believe. I actually got to talk to her on the phone a couple years ago...and still can't believe it. A friend of hers told her I was doing all these You Tube videos on her songs and he arranged for me to talk to her. She is as down to earth as can be but I felt as if I was talking the The Queen.

It's really a shame she didn't really take off as a Motown artist [[and I'd love to hear how you found out about her sales!) But I think Kim illustrates how sales don't always reflect an artists' success because it seems she has more fans of her music today than she did back then. She is still performing in the U.K. where this music is much more appreciated. If you have Kim Fever, you are in for many enjoyable moments.

John G. Stumpf
08-10-2017, 03:40 AM
I have a friend in the industry that is my go to person for that type of information.