PDA

View Full Version : Motown junkies

test

grapevine
08-11-2010, 06:18 AM
...here's a site ...you may have seen before ...for ...err ...emm ...Motown Junkies...!!

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/labels/

...who else?

:)

radionixon
08-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the plug, Grapevine! :)
If you're new to the site, you're probably better off starting with the Master Index rather than the labels page:

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/index

That's an ongoing list of all the singles I've reviewed so far.

As with the old thread, any comments and feedback would be much appreciated, either here or on the site itself!

tmd
08-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Great site- but hard to read.
The black on white does not work very well.

robb_k
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
It's a great site, and I hope to read more comments by other SDFers either there or here.

radionixon
08-17-2010, 07:11 AM
Sorry about the lack of updates this past week - aside from being busy offline, I've been working on a post about "You Beat Me To The Punch" by Mary Wells which I've had to rewrite a few times because I haven't been happy with it. Normal service resumed shortly!

Meanwhile, I've added a new feature whereby people who don't want to leave a comment can "vote" my reviews up or down, depending on whether they agree or disagree, with a single anonymous click. Hopefully this will see a lot of use!

TMD: I don't know what you mean - there isn't any black on white anywhere on the site? The default colour scheme is grey on black, which is in itself not ideal [[it's an "off-the-peg" Wordpress theme that I can't change) but should be readable enough? What do others think?

Otherwise, glad people seem to be enjoying!

soulwally
08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the pointer, Grape, and brilliant stuff, radionixon. This is everything Terry Wilson's book, about Motown UK issues, should have been.

paladin
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Great site I added a lil more than my normal 2 cents worth. I shall make regular returns, I really like what I saw and read ! Excelsior !:cool::cool::cool::cool:

snakepit
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow! What a fantastic project. I saw mention of this on MT , but cannot access at work.[[Lunch hour you understand):)
Just got around to viewing......it's amazing what you have done. And , I believe, we can reply and comment on your reviews?. Can't wait to play TCMS as you suggest on the description.
Well done.........

radionixon
08-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, anyone can comment on any review - the moderation thing is to prevent spam, rather than to silence dissenting opinions. You can use the agree/disagree thumbs up/down buttons if you want to register approval/disapproval without leaving a comment.

Anyway, I'm back updating regularly now, with a few reviews stacked up to go over the next few days. I've just done one for "Camel Walk" by Saundra Mallett & the Vandellas, which was a good opportunity to try and write about how Martha & the Vandellas came to be - most of the online sources are very confusing, with names, dates etc. jumbled up, or featuring information that contradicts other known information [[e.g. recording dates). I've done my best to clear that up, but I'm sure some of it is still probably wrong...!

Glad people are enjoying.

144man
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm enjoying reading the reviews on this site, especially when I disagree with them.

I'm surprised that there aren't more posts from SDFers.

radionixon
09-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Well, I've just been through the whole site and added a load of marks out of ten, so now every review also has a score at the end - besides being good fun to do [[I've never tried assigning scores before in any of my music or film writing, but this was a laugh), perhaps that might generate some more debate [[or controversy!), or at least be a conversation starter?

It could backfire horribly if people take the scores too seriously, I suppose, but I'll publish any dissenting views that aren't gratuitously abusive.

radionixon
04-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Well, I've been plugging away at this for a long time now, and a lot's changed: we're almost up to the end of 1963, we now [[thanks to some kind contributors, including 144man above!) have label scans for almost every Motown side, better menus at the bottom of the screen to find what you're looking for, and [[finally!) lots of healthy disagreement. I've moved to an every-other-day publishing schedule now, to give everyone a bit longer to discuss a record before a new post goes up. Always room for more discussion, SDFers!

Anyway, please forgive the shameless plug - I just wanted to let people know it was still going! [[Especially those who hadn't seen the new illustrated version of the site.) As always, thoughts and comments welcome, either here or on the individual pages for each single.

Cheers!

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com

luke
04-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Never knew-I feel like I really can get my fix now!!

Motown_M_1056
04-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Interesting, but something I will delve into deeper later on.

Roberta75
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
...here's a site ...you may have seen before ...for ...err ...emm ...Motown Junkies...!!

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/labels/

...who else?

:)

Thank you grapevine for this terrific link.

Roberta

mr soul
04-14-2011, 05:35 AM
A very good site, which I've already added to my favourites, looking forward to lots of disagreements [well some at least], keep up the good work.

radionixon
04-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone!

If you're going to bookmark the site [[I'm flattered, by the way!), I'd recommend bookmarking the Master Index, which is the big list of all the records covered so far [[October 1963 and counting):

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/index/

That's probably the best page for just browsing and digging around. The actual home page [[with extracts from the two newest reviews at the top) is a bit rubbish, and the one Grapevine linked to at the top of this thread is the one splitting up all the sub-labels individually, Seabear-style.

Anyway. Thanks to everyone who's left comments and feedback [[both here and there) - keep 'em coming, and glad you're enjoying!

robb_k
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Thanks to everyone who's left comments and feedback [[both here and there) - keep 'em coming, and glad you're enjoying!

RadioNixon-I've just made a slew of new comments on various songs and releases, you may want to check and reply to. I can't wait for you to get into my favourite year: 1964!

Bingo
04-17-2011, 09:02 AM
it really is a fabulous site, thank you very much for the effort... it is appreciated

RossHolloway
04-17-2011, 05:02 PM
This site is incredible. I can't wait to spend more time reading thru this. Keep up the incredible work. I love the fact that there are such die-hard Motown fans out there who know more history than I do.

144man
07-08-2011, 05:34 PM
The site has been redesigned, and it looks great.

Incidentally, there's a review of Liz Lands' "May What He Lived for Live", which should be required reading. Also, as dissent is encouraged, why not take the opportunity to register disapproval at the comparatively low mark awarded to Eddie Holland's "Leaving Here"?

skooldem1
07-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I love that site. The owners are to be commended. May be the best Motown site out there. The focus on the "Music" is great.

thisoldheart
07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
wow, the redesigned site looks great. i prefer reading your reviews to the notes in "the complete motown singles volumes". yours are personal and idiosyncratic which makes them a hell of a lot more interesting. can't wait to see how you rate some of the more well known tracks now that you are heading into the beginning of the classic motown period. hope you go past 1972, cuz i want to see what you think of eddie kendrick's "darling, come back home", one of my all time favorites. of course, you could do a mini review now, if you're not going that far! we could all be dead by then!

stephanie
07-10-2011, 05:17 AM
This site makes me stop doing things that are important its wonderful wonderful!

westgrandboulevard
07-10-2011, 09:26 AM
stephanie

This SDF site here has the same effect on me, lol!

How is your Mom doing today?

stephanie
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
westgrand I was hoping nobody would ask that question but I wont lie. I realize this is not the thread to do this I just woke up and saw this. The hospital called [[nursing home) at 9:00am and they are sending her back to the hospital she is not doing well. I have not given up the faith or hope yet I refuse to. I love my mother and God does and still continues to do incredible things. She is being transferred back as we speak I called the hospital and she is not there yet so when I hear something I will let you know. I just jumped on SDF because I consider it my refuge I cant look at the walls. I drank some apple juice and looked out the window for 20 minutes and turned on the tv and I could just ramble but anyway. I will keep you posted I have been praying as I am typing. Keep praying West!

westgrandboulevard
07-10-2011, 11:04 AM
stephanie

Will do.

There is no precise script for times like this. You're doing the level best you can, best way you know how.

It is all you can do. Whatever the outcome, it is right for you to do it.

144man
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Congratulations to the Nixon Administration for Motown Junkies being shortlisted for the "Best Music & Entertainment Blog" category at the 2011 Wales Blog Awards.

uptight
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Very cool, something I will delve into deeper later on.

btw: I like the black background. It is easy on the eyes. And I wish SoulfulDetroit Forum could return to a black background. Apparently it is not an option in SDF's new web design.

radionixon
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know if I win :)

Uptight: Most browsers nowadays will let you override a page's default colour scheme - in Firefox, the relevant options are under Tools > Options > Content > Colors, just choose a black background, light text, and uncheck the box that says "Allow pages to override my choices" or something like that. Not sure how it works on Chrome or Internet Explorer but I think it can be done.

uptight
10-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Sweet..! Thanks for the tip RadioNixon. I love it.

radionixon
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Well, I didn't win :[[ There's always next year... Still, an honour to be shortlisted - there are obviously some Motown lovers on the panel out there! Also got some good Motown-related exposure in the local press, which was nice.

Work continues apace, and I'm getting right up to the cusp of the mid-Sixties Golden Age now, having reached June 1964. If anyone hasn't checked the site out yet [[SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT), it's at http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com - have fun, read, agree, disagree, leave comments!

KTF
Nixon

RossHolloway
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, I didn't win :[[ There's always next year... Still, an honour to be shortlisted - there are obviously some Motown lovers on the panel out there! Also got some good Motown-related exposure in the local press, which was nice.

Work continues apace, and I'm getting right up to the cusp of the mid-Sixties Golden Age now, having reached June 1964. If anyone hasn't checked the site out yet [[SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT), it's at http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com - have fun, read, agree, disagree, leave comments!

KTF
Nixon

Well your fans love your work!

John Sands
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I was reading the interesting review of 'Livewire' and want to say something that I have thought for the longest.

Aside from having titles that refer to natural phenomonom [[sic???) I find nothing the least bit the same about 'Heat Wave', 'Quicksand' and the frantic 'Livewire'.

radionixon
10-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Ross: thank you for that, I know it'll sound trite but it really is nice to get feedback like that - keeps me thinking the project is worthwhile!

John: really? I think they're definitely all similar, though [[as I said in the review) perhaps not quite as similar as is sometimes made out; nonetheless, if you regulated the tempo, I think you could probably splice bits of all three records together without anyone noticing anything too amiss...! I'm not sure there'll be a lot of good Vandellas discussion hidden away in this thread, but all the posts on Motown Junkies are permanently open for discussion - if you [[or anyone else!) put your comment on the MJ page for Live Wire [[http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/371/), then me, my regular visitors, and random people arriving from Google will probably debate with you :o

RossHolloway
10-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Ross: thank you for that, I know it'll sound trite but it really is nice to get feedback like that - keeps me thinking the project is worthwhile!

John: really? I think they're definitely all similar, though [[as I said in the review) perhaps not quite as similar as is sometimes made out; nonetheless, if you regulated the tempo, I think you could probably splice bits of all three records together without anyone noticing anything too amiss...! I'm not sure there'll be a lot of good Vandellas discussion hidden away in this thread, but all the posts on Motown Junkies are permanently open for discussion - if you [[or anyone else!) put your comment on the MJ page for Live Wire [[http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/371/), then me, my regular visitors, and random people arriving from Google will probably debate with you :o

Worthwhile? It's way more than that to this Motown fan. It's damn near historical, especially if you make it to the end. Love your work man. Keep up the excellent work.

John Sands
10-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I love your site. The fact that somebody is actually reviewing Motown singles is something that dreams are made of.

Since I feel that the 3 records are different but the titles are similar, which was purposely done by Motown, do you think that the record buying public actually found the 3 records similar due to the titles rather than the actual sound?

radionixon
09-24-2012, 08:02 AM

KTF

Nixon

Prophetic words - I was indeed nominated again this year, and this time we won! Motown Junkies, officially the best music and entertainment blog in Wales. Yeah, I know, high praise indeed.

"Blogs with a mission often catch the judges’ eye. Motown Junkies has set out to review every US and UK Motown single between 1959 and 1988. As they say in their About page – “Not ambitious, then”. But despite this huge undertaking, the writing on the blog feels effortless, and never laboured. As with all the shortlisted blogs in this category, there is a fantastic depth of knowledge that helps to contextualise each song within Motown and the wider music industry of the time. The endearing honesty in the reviews, obvious devotion to the subject, and occasionally tongue-in-cheek tone left the judges with no doubt people will come back again and again."
- The judges

http://motownjunkies.co.uk

I've just started 1965, which should be fun. Come along and join in in the comments sections, we're always looking for more contributions.

Also also, I now co-host a weekly radio show, if anyone wants to hear me talking a lot of Northern Soul and Motown chat and spinning some records:

http://soundcloud.com/soulfulsaturdaybreakfast

[[Please excuse the shameless plug/bump, I'm quite excited to have won. This advertisement was paid for by the Friends of English Magic. No it wasn't.)

masterblaster
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
TMD: I don't know what you mean - there isn't any black on white anywhere on the site? The default colour scheme is grey on black, which is in itself not ideal [[it's an "off-the-peg" Wordpress theme that I can't change) but should be readable enough? What do others think?

Otherwise, glad people seem to be enjoying! I love this site, just read your review of "Just Ask The Lonely". It made me realise what a great record it is and can't stop playing it. even the Kareoke instrumental. I always listen to the track after reading each review. Love it, keep up the good work.

Methuselah2
09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
No matter what the site has ever looked like, it has always been one thing: Remarkable. It's scholarly, insightful, critical, and wonderfully analytical. And have I mentioned beautifully written? It most definitely is. The music it addresses is often brilliant. But the mind behind the superlative site is always brilliant. It's truly artful. And if you're not familiar with it yet, a rare experience awaits you. I was hooked right from the get-go.

radionixon
09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Gosh, thanks! You're very kind. As much as I thrive on debate and disagreement, it's really nice to get positive feedback like that.

ExGuyParis
09-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I'll give two thumbs up for the site as well. It's an amazing labor of love!

ExGuyParis
09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
oops - sorry - labour!

;)

Motown4Ever518
10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
No matter what the site has ever looked like, it has always been one thing: Remarkable. It's scholarly, insightful, critical, and wonderfully analytical. And have I mentioned beautifully written? It most definitely is. The music it addresses is often brilliant. But the mind behind the superlative site is always brilliant. It's truly artful. And if you're not familiar with it yet, a rare experience awaits you. I was hooked right from the get-go.

The best thing about the site is the name, Motown Junkies, which is what I am to my wife and daughter. If you have not visited the site please do, the reviews are funny, insightful, funny, thoughtful, funny, informative, and funny. The review of My Girl, the first 10 doled out by Mr. Nixon, has a review that is worthy of a 10 in and of itself. I have it so that if there is a new review, I am alerted, I may not read every post, but, while I in fact have sunshine on a cloudy day, on a cloudy day, it would be time well spent curling up with Motown Junkies.

144man
10-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Many records have been awarded a perfect 10 prior to "My Girl". The site is addictive in the best possible way.