PDA

View Full Version : Since I Lost My Baby [[alternate lead vocal)

test

soulwally
01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Here's a youtube link to a different Ruffin lead vocal on the ever-amazing Since I Lost My Baby. Some of you may have, but I had never heard this version before, and it blows me away. It now means I love BOTH versions of the song. Apparently it's from a Love Songs CD of theirs.

Listening to the words again, I was struck [[but not surprised) by Smokey's insight into the troubled mind, through lost love or whatever. Having had a couple of brushes with depression in the family in the last few years, I found the following sets of lines from the songs very astute:

The sun is cold, and the new day seems old...

then:
But fun is a bore and with money I'm poor...

and most accurately of all:
Can't see how my hope's gonna last
Good things are bad and what's happy is sad

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ray3icvejQM&feature=fvsr

arrr&bee
01-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow fantastic,i've never heard this version...man oh man can ruffin bring it or what? It sounds like a rehersal for a live performance..and i'll tell you something in all the years i've seen the classic temps they never did[since i lost my baby]live..how bout that...fantastic version!!!

marv2
01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
The very first thing I noticed about this alternate version, is that David is not singing it nearly as "soulful" as the released version.

luke
01-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Another version by Miss Carolyn Crawford-Ian put some money in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cydUkwwdsRY&feature=related

arrr&bee
01-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Miss crawford's version ain't bad,nice job!

paladin
01-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I've had this song for about three/4 years and its really nice, you can tell it was an early alternate take because they really had'nt got into the flavor of the song and although the released version was superior, its nice to get a peek at them doing the do.......nice thread.....

uptight
01-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Soulwally, until now I never paid that much attention to the verses beyond the first several lines. They are rather depressing. The "blues" part of Rhythm & Blues can make a listener feel down if there is no resolution at the end of the tune. The record is worth listening to if only for the background arrangements and the vocal harmonies.

It seemed the Tempts could do no wrong at this point in their career.

paladin
01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
The "blues" part of Rhythm & Blues can make a listener feel down if there is no resolution at the end of the tune.

Although I was going to write this on another thread this one will do. Uptight this is another facet of the impact and inherent genius of a Smokey Robinson/Pete Moore tune, and David Ruffins interpretation was flawless. It simply conveys the devastation this guy feels because he screwed up his relationship with a woman he loved dearly and now has to pay the ultimate price for his veiled transgressions. This song has a resolution albeit not a happy one and the essence of this song can be found in many of Smoke's compositions. During this time period he was cranking them out better than anyone in the business. Smoke was the true master of heartbreak and it would appear that The Temptations and Miracles often visited the same subject matter but with different vocal and harmony interpretations. And they were releasing them back to back ! All ones needs to do is check out Tracks of My Tears or My Girl is Gone or Just Another Lonely Night/ Don't Look Back......great songs from great groups....ok don't trip I know that Ivy Joe Hunter and Mickey Stevenson wrote Just Another
but you get my point ...lol......

Kdubya

luke
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM
I agree pal. One of the greatest break up songs; the tempo and melody a contrast to pain they sing about. Brilliant on all fronts.

tomato tom
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Isnt it BRILLIANT that these things turn up! What else can the Motown vaults or stolen acetates / tapes etc ,ha ha, turn up? Just when you think there is nothing else left. Its whats makes a Motown fan like me still searching for that Holy Grail....Paulo xxxx

arrr&bee
01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
The other great thing about this classic is the opening from the first riffs of the piano you get the feel of clouds covering the sun...only smokey...only smokey!!!

paladin
01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Additionally, Smokey wrote a song for the Temptations that appeared on one of their biggest selling albums "I Wish It Would Rain" which was produced by Norman Whitfield, the song "Cindy" a nearly forgotten gem that David Ruffin led with as much pathos and emotion as one could get from a song of heartbreak and remorse. The background vocals were tremendous, the printed lyrics don't mean very much if you've never heard this tune. The Temptations flat out nailed this tune and its a shame it wasn't released as a single. Of course you cant really argue about the singles I Wish It Would Rain, I Could Never Love Another or Please Return Your Love to me, which coincidentally follow a similar pattern. During this time period the Temptations could do no wrong. Norman Whitfield certainly knew what he was doing and he tweaked Smokey's pattern early on and didn't abandon their strong suit as many would have you believe, and how could we know what was to come. I've included the link to the song for those unaware, listen how this record starts off slow and builds to a crescendo with Melvin and the fella's kicking it .......Great stuff folks.

Cindy [[ Smokey Robinson)

All my hopes and dreams are forgotten now
All the apples in my barrel are rotten now
Standing on a mountain of misery
Loneliness is my only company
Oh, when are gonna come Cindy
When will you be homeward bound
I'm in need of you and the love of you, Cindy....

I thought we were birds of a feather now
And we would always be together now
And where ever I would go you would follow me
A life of love with you was my destiny
Oh, when you gonna come come home Cindy
When will you be homeward bound
there's an empty space
since you left this place

Cindy, my Cindy
Come back Cindy comeback
Cindy you have made a great mistake
But mistakes were sometimes made to save
Cindy love is made of give and take
Let a move be made for love's sake
Come on home Cant you see
I was made for you,
you were made for me!

People tell me I'm not the same now
I only half respond to my name now
But no one knows it better than me myself baby
Without your love I can never be myself
Ohhhhhh, when you gonna come home cindy............
Hold me close Cindy soon......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5ZlvAeg88

arrr&bee
01-28-2011, 04:27 PM
additionally, smokey wrote a song for the temptations that appeared on one of their biggest selling albums "i wish it would rain" which was produced by norman whitfield, the song "cindy" a nearly forgotten gem that david ruffin led with as much pathos and emotion as one could get from a song of heartbreak and remorse. The background vocals were tremendous, the printed lyrics don't mean very much if you've never heard this tune. The temptations flat out nailed this tune and its a shame it wasn't released as a single. Of course you cant really argue about the singles i wish it would rain, i could never love another or please return your love to me, which coincidentally follow a similar pattern. During this time period the temptations could do no wrong. Norman whitfield certainly knew what he was doing and he tweaked smokey's pattern early on and didn't abandon their strong suit as many would have you believe, and how could we know what was to come. I've included the link to the song for those unaware, listen how this record starts off slow and builds to a crescendo with melvin and the fella's kicking it .......great stuff folks.

Cindy [[ smokey robinson)

all my hopes and dreams are forgotten now
all the apples in my barrel are rotten now
standing on a mountain of misery
loneliness is my only company
oh, when are gonna come cindy
when will you be homeward bound
i'm in need of you and the love of you, cindy....

I thought we were birds of a feather now
and we would always be together now
and where ever i would go you would follow me
a life of love with you was my destiny
oh, when you gonna come come home cindy
when will you be homeward bound
there's an empty space
since you left this place

cindy, my cindy
come back cindy comeback
cindy you have made a great mistake
but mistakes were sometimes made to save
cindy love is made of give and take
let a move be made for love's sake
come on home cant you see
i was made for you,
you were made for me!

People tell me i'm not the same now
i only half respond to my name now
but no one knows it better than me myself baby
without your love i can never be myself
ohhhhhh, when you gonna come home cindy............
Hold me close cindy soon......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5zlvaeg88hey paladin,cindy is a classic and as you stated the temps in thier prime could do no wrong,i was listening to the always strong[now that you've won me]and started thinking as i'm sure you and all temps fans do that had they somehow had stayed together the hits would still be coming,yes i know it's a different day but the classic temptations would've somehow kept it coming that's my beleif maybe i'm just being nastalgic.

robb_k
01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Nice to hear about the Carolyn Crawford find. I'm hoping several more can be discovered, as only about13-14 recordings by her are known by me. I'm hoping they'll have enough to release an anthology CD on her.

paladin
01-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Jai I don' think nostalgia has anything to do with it...lol..... Surely David would have sounded different than Dennis as He was different than Ali Woodson and so on and so forth, however the "magic" of the Temptations became so instilled that as someone else noted here they became a brand. More importantly that brand signified excellence. In a strange sort of way our behavior as consumers is generally affected by the track record of a particular brand. Most of us would agree that certain products have maintained a standard of excellence for so long that we expect quality product when we plunk down our hard earned dollars, literally without the thought process of "if this product is good or not'. We make unconscious decisions about a number of brands every time we go into a store, we see the brand and buy it [[Pepsi, Coke, Tide, Cheer, Hennessey,Good Humor etc) because we know that the brand ...in and of itself represents quality. The Temptations achieved similar status long ago and it still serves them to this day. Let me put it this way The Classic Five were already great, but they got better......

robbert
01-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Nice to hear that alternate Ruffin vocal on Since again!
Now, of course, this curious fellow wants to know where [[on which cd) he can find this version?
Thanks!

marv2
01-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Nice to hear that alternate Ruffin vocal on Since again!
Now, of course, this curious fellow wants to know where [[on which cd) he can find this version?
Thanks!

If I can find out, I will let you know. I will post it here.

paladin
01-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Robbert its on their CD Love Songs:

Kdubya

marv2
01-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Kdub, you're the man! Thanks

paladin
02-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Marv you know I know a lill sumthin, sumthin, plus I had said previously that I had this record for about 4 years, I went back and checked the release date It was Jan/2004...not bad for an old dude........lol...

arrr&bee
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Five voices blended together at the right time in music history with the right forces behind them to create a sound that will last for eternity..the tall-tan talented-temptin-temptations!!!

marxthespot_
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
The reason for the alternate version on the "Love Songs" CD is that they wanted to do a new mix of the song for that release, but the hit versions' vocal was erased and this is the only vocal remaining on the studio multitrack.