View Full Version : Mary Wilson on The Talk - Interview

test

marv2
08-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Mary's appearance on CBS' "The Talk":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICzLLfQJlqw

luke
08-02-2017, 11:21 PM
Thank you. Never saw it. Mary is just great and looks beautiful. The audience couldn't get enough! I bet Mary's appearance helped the cd to hit Billboards chart

Circa 1824
08-03-2017, 07:54 AM
She totally lives in the past. I guess there is nothing else of interest to talk about.

thanxal
08-03-2017, 08:41 AM
She totally lives in the past. I guess there is nothing else of interest to talk about.
I think that's quite unfair to Mary. Most media outlets only want to hear about the Supremes/60s for the nostalgia factor. There isn't anyone Mary's age tearing up the teen charts and clearly they weren't interested in her current work or they would have asked more about it.

RanRan79
08-03-2017, 10:31 AM
I swear some of the stuff I read in this forum has the potential to rot the brain. The woman was promoting the 50th anniversary of the song that catapulted the Supremes into a household name and into music history. What the hell else was she supposed to talk about? But I guess anything is fair game when you're taking a swipe at Mary...

RanRan79
08-03-2017, 10:33 AM
I think that's quite unfair to Mary. Most media outlets only want to hear about the Supremes/60s for the nostalgia factor. There isn't anyone Mary's age tearing up the teen charts and clearly they weren't interested in her current work or they would have asked more about it.

Exactly. That's how it always is when big stars from the past appear on these shows. They spend almost the entire interview being asked about the past and if there's time left over they're finally asked about current projects. It happens to all of them.

luke
08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
I think these brief negative statements are said just to get attention and see people jump up and down![[what do the Flos talk about?hmmm)

thanxal
08-03-2017, 11:40 AM
I think these brief negative statements are said just to get attention and see people jump up and down![[what do the Flos talk about?hmmm)
I agree again with you Luke.

It happens all the time on Diana threads as well. I can understand the passions and vapors, but a little less often would make this place even better.

There's a trash heap of a website if people really feel the need to be vulgar, crude, and plagiarize other's writing. [Edit: this last bit is sarcasm. I wouldn't encourage anyone to visit the trash heap. It is disgusting.]

Circa 1824
08-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Why doesn't Wilson just fess-up in one of these interviews and say her voice is not on most of the classic hit recordings ??

She could honestly say, "I was part of Diana Ross and the Supremes stage show, but not used very often in the recording studio."

blackguy69
08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Exactly. That's how it always is when big stars from the past appear on these shows. They spend almost the entire interview being asked about the past and if there's time left over they're finally asked about current projects. It happens to all of them.
I see that someone is trying to start something to see who will take the bait.

thanxal
08-03-2017, 06:47 PM
I see that someone is trying to start something to see who will take the bait.
Really? RanRan's post is "trying to start something" but not this one?

She totally lives in the past. I guess there is nothing else of interest to talk about..

RanRan was agreeing with my defense of Mary. Exactly what is being started and who is doing the starting again?

RanRan79
08-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Thanxal I'm pretty sure BG was referring to that other poster who decided to chime in with negativity. And BG is right, so is Luke, in that the posts are designed to get a reaction, as most negative Mary and negative Diana posts are. I'm going to encourage everyone to ignore these obvious antagonistic posts in the hope that the ones who write this kind of thing get bored and either contribute to a healthy discussion or disappear. I'm tempted to put this request in it's own thread.

thanxal
08-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Thanxal I'm pretty sure BG was referring to that other poster who decided to chime in with negativity. And BG is right, so is Luke, in that the posts are designed to get a reaction, as most negative Mary and negative Diana posts are. I'm going to encourage everyone to ignore these obvious antagonistic posts in the hope that the ones who write this kind of thing get bored and either contribute to a healthy discussion or disappear. I'm tempted to put this request in it's own thread.
Thanks. I was very confused by the quote of your post. Apologies to Blackguy69.

blackguy69
08-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Really? RanRan's post is "trying to start something" but not this one?

RanRan was agreeing with my defense of Mary. Exactly what is being started and who is doing the starting again?

Ran is right I wasn't referring to him I was referring to the other post

thanxal
08-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Ran is right I wasn't referring to him I was referring to the other post
Many apologies.

Ozmo
08-04-2017, 12:15 AM

You are so right. The funny thing is that the Mary and Diana haters feel compelled to read every post relating to them and then rush to inform us of how little interest Diana/Mary is to them!

imakicola
08-04-2017, 02:04 AM
Why doesn't Wilson just fess-up in one of these interviews and say her voice is not on most of the classic hit recordings ??

She could honestly say, "I was part of Diana Ross and the Supremes stage show, but not used very often in the recording studio."

That wasn't nearly as true at the beginning. It only happened occasionally before Florence left and it wasn't until Diana's name was highlighted that the Andantes and Waters sisters started showing up regularly on singles.

Circa 1824
08-04-2017, 07:45 AM
Actually, the men who put out the new remastered Supremes albums, and the one in charge of the Motown catalog, said in a radio interview they isolated the backup vocals for Stop! In The Name of Love. Mary and Flo were NOT on that song. M and F may have recorded it, but later their backup vocals were replaced by others.

Stop! is not after Diana's name was added to the group's name. So, little miss Mary needs to fess-up, and stop being so damn smug in these interviews like she is part of recorded musical history. She was part of the stage show, I will give her that.

antceleb12
08-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Stop! is not after Diana's name was added to the group's name. So, little miss Mary needs to fess-up, and stop being so damn smug in these interviews like she is part of recorded musical history. She was part of the stage show, I will give her that.

Is this a joke?

Hit singles Mary IS on:

Where Did Our Love Go
Baby Love
Come See About Me
Stop! In the Name of Love [[Andantes are on their, but so are Florence and Mary - listen to the "baby, baby's")
Back in My Arms Again
Nothing but Heartaches
I Hear a Symphony
Love is Like an Itching in My Heart
You Can't Hurry Love [[Florence's contribution is debatable on this one, but not Mary's)
You Keep Me Hanging On
Love is Here and Now You're Gone
The Happening [[there are COUNTLESS anecdotes about how Gordy wiped the Andantes off the final recording)
Reflections [[debatable)
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Stoned Love
Up the Ladder to the Roof
Floy Joy
Nathan Jones
River Deep, Mountain High

Hit singles Mary was NOT a part of:

Love Child
Someday We'll Be Together

If you can tell me straight up that Mary is not on ONE of these records [[much less ANY of these recordings) you are out of your mind. I do not believe Andy or George would have said Mary and Flo are not on Stop! at all since they are clearly present on at least part of it. I believe that the Andantes were mixed in, but in this case they did not outright replace Mary and Florence.

To deny any one of the Supremes' contributions to their hit material is not only outrageously insulting, but it is factually entirely incorrect. By just giving her "the stage act" and making the bizarre claim that Mary is being "smug" and lying you are outright denying the FACT that she [[and Florence) have made significant contributions to American recorded music.

blackguy69
08-04-2017, 08:20 AM
I knew he was going to mentioned stop in the name of live. If I'm correct it wasn't George or Andy or harry that said Mary or Flo didn't sing on it. Another memo mentioned it. I knew this was discussed not long ago and I thought it was said that the andantes were mixed in with Mary and Flo. So unless you can prove otherwise, this is where it stands

thanxal
08-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Is this a joke?

No, its called "trolling".

blackguy69
08-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Is this a joke?

Hit singles Mary IS on:

Where Did Our Love Go
Baby Love
Come See About Me
Stop! In the Name of Love [[Andantes are on their, but so are Florence and Mary - listen to the "baby, baby's")
Back in My Arms Again
Nothing but Heartaches
I Hear a Symphony
Love is Like an Itching in My Heart
You Can't Hurry Love [[Florence's contribution is debatable on this one, but not Mary's)
You Keep Me Hanging On
Love is Here and Now You're Gone
The Happening [[there are COUNTLESS anecdotes about how Gordy wiped the Andantes off the final recording)
Reflections [[debatable)
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
Stoned Love
Up the Ladder to the Roof
Floy Joy
Nathan Jones
River Deep, Mountain High

Hit singles Mary was NOT a part of:

Love Child
Someday We'll Be Together

If you can tell me straight up that Mary is not on ONE of these records [[much less ANY of these recordings) you are out of your mind. I do not believe Andy or George would have said Mary and Flo are not on Stop! at all since they are clearly present on at least part of it. I believe that the Andantes were mixed in, but in this case they did not outright replace Mary and Florence.

To deny any one of the Supremes' contributions to their hit material is not only outrageously insulting, but it is factually entirely incorrect. By just giving her "the stage act" and making the bizarre claim that Mary is being "smug" and lying you are outright denying the FACT that she [[and Florence) have made significant contributions to American recorded music.
I'll second that. But remember it wasn't Mary that was questionable on reflections, it was Flo that folks were wondering if she was on it.

RanRan79
08-04-2017, 08:23 AM
That wasn't nearly as true at the beginning. It only happened occasionally before Florence left and it wasn't until Diana's name was highlighted that the Andantes and Waters sisters started showing up regularly on singles.

You're so right Imakicola. And I think the bulk of the Andantes replacing Supremes before 1968 occurred on songs that actually ended up unreleased until many years later.

thanxal
08-04-2017, 08:25 AM
I knew he was going to mentioned stop in the name of live. If I'm correct it wasn't George or Andy or harry that said Mary or Flo didn't sing on it. Another memo mentioned it. I knew this was discussed not long ago and I thought it was said that the andantes were mixed in with Mary and Flo. So unless you can prove otherwise, this is where it stands
George, Andy and Harry very wisely didn't come down on either side.

I believe they said only that "the Andantes sang background". I do not think they clarified whether or not the backgrounds are a) no Mary and/or Flo or b) Mary and/or Flo and the Andantes.

In my opinion it is Mary + Flo + the Andantes when I compare the known version with no Andantes [[More Hits Expanded) with the single stereo version. I distinctly hear the same background voices plus more, and my hearing isn't all that great.

luke
08-04-2017, 08:55 AM
Lolol Ozmo!

RanRan79
08-04-2017, 09:02 AM
Well that idiotic comment has done exactly what it set out to do, so hopefully we can rise above it and get back to the topic at hand, the legendary Mary Wilson promoting the 50th anniversary of "Where Did Our Love Go".

The song is so simple when you think about it. Nothing is complicated about the tune. I think it was Gordy who said that he figured the song might go top 20 but that was about it. I think at the time I would've agreed. I wouldn't have ever thought this was a number one record. Yet somehow all of the ingredients- Diana's subdued vocal, Mary and Flo's cooing, the Funk Brothers simple pace, HDH's pleading lyric- came together in a monster hit that sent the previous "no hit" Supremes into the musical stratosphere. Whodathunkit? Of the hit singles, "Where Did Our Love Go" probably ties with "Love Is Here" for my all time favorite.

luke
08-04-2017, 09:13 AM
It's a record that I can listen to now and it still feels fresh and exciting to me. I dont think any of the ladies liked it. The Vandellas had Heat Wave and they wanted something like that! And who can blame them? Some say Heat Wave was the real beginning of the Motown Sound! And I couldn't pick between Heat Wave and Where did our Love go . They both are just so brilliant!

blackguy69
08-04-2017, 09:18 AM
HDH knew what they were doing. Sometimes something so simple can turn be so great. I still want hear the original background vocals that they came up with before they scrapped it and went with the baby baby hook.

thanxal
08-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Well that idiotic comment has done exactly what it set out to do, so hopefully we can rise above it and get back to the topic at hand, the legendary Mary Wilson promoting the 50th anniversary of "Where Did Our Love Go".

The song is so simple when you think about it. Nothing is complicated about the tune. I think it was Gordy who said that he figured the song might go top 20 but that was about it. I think at the time I would've agreed. I wouldn't have ever thought this was a number one record. Yet somehow all of the ingredients- Diana's subdued vocal, Mary and Flo's cooing, the Funk Brothers simple pace, HDH's pleading lyric- came together in a monster hit that sent the previous "no hit" Supremes into the musical stratosphere. Whodathunkit? Of the hit singles, "Where Did Our Love Go" probably ties with "Love Is Here" for my all time favorite.
Thanks. I have B-ADHD [[blog ADHD), so steering me back to the topic is always welcome.

I am a bit surprised that no alternates of it have ever been released, esp. on the WDOLG Expanded Edition. Can anyone recall Andy or George discussing alternate versions/vocals [[not alternate mixes)?

RanRan79
08-04-2017, 11:55 AM
It's a record that I can listen to now and it still feels fresh and exciting to me. I dont think any of the ladies liked it. The Vandellas had Heat Wave and they wanted something like that! And who can blame them? Some say Heat Wave was the real beginning of the Motown Sound! And I couldn't pick between Heat Wave and Where did our Love go . They both are just so brilliant!

Right you are Luke, in that the songs were brilliant. "Where" and "Heat" sound as different as night and day, yet both are perfect examples of the Motown Sound. I've always heard that it was "Come and Get These Memories" that Gordy credited with being the start of what we refer to as the Motown Sound, but I think I would give the distinction to "Heat Wave". Can anyone think of a more Motown sounding song before "Heat Wave"?

RanRan79
08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
HDH knew what they were doing. Sometimes something so simple can turn be so great. I still want hear the original background vocals that they came up with before they scrapped it and went with the baby baby hook.

I hadn't heard about any previous background vocals being worked for this song, but it doesn't surprise me. When you compare this to what the girls normally did in the background it seems so left field. I'm guessing that after Diana laid her vocal down that whatever complex backing vocals Flo and Mary came up with [[or HDH came up with) might have seemed like it didn't fit so they went with something simple. I'm guessing here, of course.

RanRan79
08-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks. I have B-ADHD [[blog ADHD), so steering me back to the topic is always welcome.

I am a bit surprised that no alternates of it have ever been released, esp. on the WDOLG Expanded Edition. Can anyone recall Andy or George discussing alternate versions/vocals [[not alternate mixes)?

I would love an alternate of the song [[other than, perhaps, the German version) and I'm ticked that after 1965 they don't seem to have performed it anymore, which I find really strange considering how big it was and how important the song was to their career. But based off of the way the recording session for "Where Did Our Love Go" is supposed to have gone [[with Diana attempting the song in a more jazzy/soulful way only to be interrupted and told that's not what they want from her on this song, and she getting pissed and doing the song in one take) that there wouldn't be an alternate of it. I'm guessing that if there had been- at least one that had been found at the time- it would have been on the expanded collection. But I would love to know what Andy or George have to say about it.

vgalindo
08-04-2017, 02:10 PM
George, Andy and Harry very wisely didn't come down on either side.

I believe they said only that "the Andantes sang background". I do not think they clarified whether or not the backgrounds are a) no Mary and/or Flo or b) Mary and/or Flo and the Andantes.

In my opinion it is Mary + Flo + the Andantes when I compare the known version with no Andantes [[More Hits Expanded) with the single stereo version. I distinctly hear the same background voices plus more, and my hearing isn't all that great.
I believe it was said that Mary and Florence were not on the released single.

reese
08-04-2017, 02:13 PM
I hadn't heard about any previous background vocals being worked for this song, but it doesn't surprise me. When you compare this to what the girls normally did in the background it seems so left field. I'm guessing that after Diana laid her vocal down that whatever complex backing vocals Flo and Mary came up with [[or HDH came up with) might have seemed like it didn't fit so they went with something simple. I'm guessing here, of course.

I believe Eddie Holland said that he had worked out some intricate background vocals. But the girls were so disgusted at having to record a song that they didn't like that he just ended up having them do something simple.

luke
08-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Yes. That is my understanding as well

marv2
08-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I believe it was said that Mary and Florence were not on the released single.

Yes they are on all released versions. Thank you.

marv2
08-04-2017, 03:40 PM
I believe Eddie Holland said that he had worked out some intricate background vocals. But the girls were so disgusted at having to record a song that they didn't like that he just ended up having them do something simple.

I wished he would explain why you cannot hear Florence at all on "Where Did Our Love Go?". I could never pick up her voice from the time it was first released up to today.

luke
08-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Here here. Me neither

antceleb12
08-04-2017, 07:16 PM
I wished he would explain why you cannot hear Florence at all on "Where Did Our Love Go?". I could never pick up her voice from the time it was first released up to today.

There's a story that says that they would sometimes have Florence stand farther back from the mic than Mary, upward of 17 feet back! i wish I knew what session that was...

Ozmo
08-04-2017, 09:18 PM

Marv, I think that HDH wanted a particular seductive, yearning mood to be portrayed on that song and I recall reading somewhere that at one point they had considered Mary doing the lead. As we know, they ultimately went with Diana singing in a lower key than normal, which worked well. Maybe HDH used Mary's voice so prominently in the background to enhance that seductive mood.

I saw Mary performing an expanded version of her 'Up Close' show in Sydney in 2015 and surprisingly she performed 'Where Did Our Love Go'.

marv2
08-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Marv, I think that HDH wanted a particular seductive, yearning mood to be portrayed on that song and I recall reading somewhere that at one point they had considered Mary doing the lead. As we know, they ultimately went with Diana singing in a lower key than normal, which worked well. Maybe HDH used Mary's voice so prominently in the background to enhance that seductive mood.

I saw Mary performing an expanded version of her 'Up Close' show in Sydney in 2015 and surprisingly she performed 'Where Did Our Love Go'.

Thanks Ozmo.

luke
08-04-2017, 10:01 PM
But the odd thing is some of us can't hear Flo at all!

bradsupremes
08-05-2017, 02:56 PM
But the odd thing is some of us can't hear Flo at all!

There's definitely a second voice just underneath Mary. The girls weren't too happy recording the song. The intricate background parts were scrapped. Not because they couldn't handle it but rather they just didn't like it. It's possible Flo wasn't giving her all and thus why Mary is so much more prominent. I think that is the reason why we don't hear Flo stand out. You can hear an element of tension in Diana's voice. She wasn't pleased about recording the song either. I think Brian or Lamont talked about how she had an attitude recording it and they felt it was just the right kick the song needed. It's far too early for trouble in paradise for Flo to be missing a session or else we would have heard it about it by now.

marv2
08-05-2017, 04:32 PM
There's definitely a second voice just underneath Mary. The girls weren't too happy recording the song. The intricate background parts were scrapped. Not because they couldn't handle it but rather they just didn't like it. It's possible Flo wasn't giving her all and thus why Mary is so much more prominent. I think that is the reason why we don't hear Flo stand out. You can hear an element of tension in Diana's voice. She wasn't pleased about recording the song either. I think Brian or Lamont talked about how she had an attitude recording it and they felt it was just the right kick the song needed. It's far too early for trouble in paradise for Flo to be missing a session or else we would have heard it about it by now.

I believe Flo was there at the session.....sitting on the sideline having a cigarette! LOL!!!

luke
08-05-2017, 04:46 PM
And perhaps Flo wasn't allowed to give it her all. Didnt they put her in the bathroom once to record her vocals?

John G. Stumpf
08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWdZipt9CU

John G. Stumpf
08-05-2017, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjiNwud_zjg

RanRan79
08-06-2017, 08:31 AM

I agree Brad. If you listen very closely it's clear that Mary isn't singing alone. There's definitely a second voice underneath hers, which of course would be Florence. I think Ozmo's theory that a prominent Mary gives the song a seductive feel might be right on the money. Also, remember there was a back and forth about who should do the lead, Diana or Mary. Since Diana "won", it's also possible that Mary is more prominent in the back as a sort of compromise. We're so used to Florence being prominent [[there are a number of Supremes songs I've had to "study" in order to tell if Flo is by herself or if Mary is with her) that I think this one seems so weird because we hardly ever have to ask if Flo is there or not. We usually can tell right away with the kind of instrument she had.

RanRan79
08-06-2017, 08:32 AM
And perhaps Flo wasn't allowed to give it her all. Didnt they put her in the bathroom once to record her vocals?

That was Diana. According to Mary, Flo had to stand a number of feet from the mic at times. Maybe "Where Did Our Love Go" was one of them.

smallworld
08-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Bathrooms can have great acoustics.