PDA

View Full Version : Brenda Holloway: SPELLBOUND

test

longtimefan
07-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have advice on the best place to order this CD that has been announced for an August release? It is listed on the Amazon UK site, but at this point it is not listed on the American Amazon site. Does anyone have any recommendations of other sites that are dependable and fast? Thank you.

paul_nixon
07-22-2017, 03:42 AM
Not too sure if ACE deliver outside the UK but this is who I use and usually get the release about a week before the official date of issue.

This is not an Ace release Cherry Red who handle the SoulMusic Records label which is releasing Spellbound usually announce a US release date shortly after the UK one. But I'm sure you will be able to get it as an import from any reputable on line retailer as soon as they have stocks in the UK.

daviddesper
07-22-2017, 11:49 PM
wowhd.us has it a pre-order for $14.54. I have always gotten good service from them.

danman869
07-24-2017, 12:29 PM
The CD is listed in Amazon US, but it's "not currently available." I would think as we get into August, it may become available for pre-order. https://www.amazon.com/Spellbound-Rare-Unreleased-Motown-Gems/dp/B072ZF3TPF

longtimefan
07-24-2017, 04:12 PM
wowhd.us has it a pre-order for $14.54. I have always gotten good service from them.

Wow, thanks for this tip. An amazing price and no postage!!! 💲💲💲💲

danman869
07-27-2017, 09:06 AM
The set is up for pre-order on Amazon US. It's currently $22.99, but that can drop if more orders are placed before release day [[their pre-order price guarantee). People have posted of lower prices elsewhere, but for those who like Amazon, now you know and can place your orders! C'mon August 25th!

woodward
07-27-2017, 09:47 AM
I just got the pre-order notice from Amazon US. It is $22.99 plus an undesignated S/H. I took daviddesper's advice regarding WOWHD.US and place my order with them. I had never heard of this outfit. Their prices seem really great with free shipping. I am skeptical that the Amazon price will drop to the level of WOWHD.US. That's a big drop.

danman869
07-27-2017, 11:08 AM
I would agree with you, Woodward. Any price drop at Amazon likely won't be at the $8.00 level. Still, I have Amazon Prime, so I get free shipping and it will be delivered on release day [[which is nice). What will always zap me now is the sales tax--10.25%. [[That's living in L.A. for ya!) I also get bonus points on my Amazon credit card [[5% back when I shop at Amazon) so it all pays off for me in the end.

No matter where anyone buys their copy--BUY IT! Let's make this another big seller [[like "Supremes A' Go-Go!). Brenda deserves the recognition!

theboyfromxtown
07-28-2017, 03:09 AM
I would agree with you, Woodward. Any price drop at Amazon likely won't be at the $8.00 level. Still, I have Amazon Prime, so I get free shipping and it will be delivered on release day [[which is nice). What will always zap me now is the sales tax--10.25%. [[That's living in L.A. for ya!) I also get bonus points on my Amazon credit card [[5% back when I shop at Amazon) so it all pays off for me in the end.

No matter where anyone buys their copy--BUY IT! Let's make this another big seller [[like "Supremes A' Go-Go!). Brenda deserves the recognition!

Dan. What did you do with all those extra A Go Go's that you bought

danman869
07-29-2017, 12:11 AM
Dan. What did you do with all those extra A Go Go's that you bought

John, I built a CD shelving unit. What did you do with yours?

paul_nixon
08-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Not long now

theboyfromxtown
08-05-2017, 10:07 AM
I have only just bought my first copy. I cant afford multiple copies these days

paul_nixon
08-05-2017, 10:38 AM
I have only just bought my first copy. I cant afford multiple copies these days

So good I posted it twice

thommg
08-05-2017, 11:59 AM
The Amazon US price is now $20.74 for the Spellbound set. Just pre-ordered mine from there. I'll have it on release day, shipped free, since I am a Prime member.

paul_nixon
08-05-2017, 12:10 PM
The Amazon US price is now $20.74 for the Spellbound set. Just pre-ordered mine from there. I'll have it on release day, shipped free, since I am a Prime member.

Good man the more this gets supported the more likely we get more material released

longtimefan
08-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Good man the more this gets supported the more likely we get more material released

Yep, I ordered mine immediately from Amazon, too!! Thanks for the great job, Paul.

thommg
08-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Well, when I pre-ordered my copy of Spellbound, I realized that I never ordered The Artistry of Brenda Holloway. I remedied that at the same time and am now in possession of my new CD. I probably only need it for the unreleased tracks, but are any of the other tracks rare or different from previously released compilations?

lakeside
08-08-2017, 05:46 PM
https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/products/h/hollow_bren_spellboun_101b.jpg
About Product Images

Dusty Goove:

Brenda Holloway [[https://www.dustygroove.com/search.php?s=Brenda+Holloway)
Spellbound – Rare & Unreleased Motown Gems

CD [[Item 848062) Motown/Soulmusic.com [[UK), Mid 60s — Condition: New Copy
2CD
$14.99 ... CD

[[€12.60 || £11.44 || ¥1646) [[approx. [[https://www.dustygroove.com/item/848062#other_currencies))
Please note

The Euro [[€), Pound [[£), and Japanese Yen [[¥) prices listed here are all approximate prices, to be used for comparison purposes only. They are updated every day based on currency rates quoted to us by our bank — but understand that the final rate charged to you by your bank may differ.
https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/icons/watchlist.png
Add to
Watch Listhttps://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/icons/add_to_order_small.png
Add to Order Adding To Your Existing Order

Customers who are signed in and have open orders may add items to their order for combine shipping and faster checkout. This reserves the item sooner, securing your place in line — which is great when ordering hard-to-find items!
https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/icons/account_small.png Sign in to add this item to your open order.https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/icons/cart.png Add this item to your cart then checkout as usual.

https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/icons/my_cart_trans.png
Add to Cart Related searches

Brenda Holloway [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?kwfilter=Brenda+Holloway&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all)
Motown [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?kwfilter=Motown&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all)
Motown [[label) [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?label=128664&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all)
Soulmusic.com [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?kwfilter=Soulmusic.com&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all)
Soulmusic.com [[label) [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?label=134072&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&format=all)
Soul [[https://www.dustygroove.com/category/soul) [[CD [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?cat=soul&format=cd), LP [[https://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?cat=soul&format=lp))

A huge amount of rare material from one of the coolest, classiest singers to work for Motown Records in the 60s – the wonderful Brenda Holloway, who may well be represented here by as much unreleased material as the label ever issued by her back in the day! Holloway's got a style that's a bit different than some of her labelmates – sometimes a bit more adult, sometimes a bit more suited to tunes with jazzy currents – although still served up with all the soulful richness you'd expect from Motown! Some of the tracks here have surfaced as digital downloads, in this era when the Motown vaults have been opened up wider than before – and some are making their debut here, in a 2CD collection that's overflowing with wonderful material that really reshapes the role of the singer at the label. Titles include "The Star", "I'm Spellbound", "Can't Hold The Feeling Back", "Girl On the Run", "Deep Freeze", "Don't Compare Me With Her", "What Have I Don't To Myself", "The Land Of Make Believe", "I'm The Exception To The Rule", "Lucky My Boy", "I Don't Want Anybody Perfect", "Today I Sing The Blues", "Strange Things", "This Time Last Summer", "I'm Giving Up", "The Lonely Heart & Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me", "Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin", and "I Still Get Butterflies

kenneth
08-08-2017, 06:06 PM

I have never heard of WOWHD either but I quickly put my order in. Free shipping, too. Wow, what a great price. I think it's good to support these other-than-Amazon sellers, especially with such a break in the price. I get free shipping on Amazon too, but their benefits via Amazon prime and all can't equal an $8 savings!

Thanks for the tip!

daviddesper
08-08-2017, 11:33 PM
If you order frequently from them, they will occasionally send you a special offer or discount.

superlou
08-10-2017, 07:29 PM
My copy is on its way from Dusty Groove. Only $14.99 for TWO discs of material. What a bargain.

Has anyone received their copy yet?

Quinn
08-11-2017, 05:08 PM
I received my copy of "Spellbound" and the Willie Hutch Two Fer and I'm very pleased.I was certainly taken aback by the improved sound quality of the "SB".The clarity is there and since no information is lost you get to hear them in all their glory.Once again,I am satisfied.Thanks to Paul Nixon,Dave Nathan,Mark Brennan,Keith Sweeney,Nick Robbins for mastering,and Christopher Alexander for the assistance with Audio Restoration. Keep doing this!

paul_nixon
08-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Wow you got to hold the finished CD before I have well done glad you are enjoying it...tell all your friends ..then we may get more

paul_nixon
08-12-2017, 03:39 AM
http://www.soulmusic.com/product/brenda-holloway-spellbound-rare-unreleased-motown-gems-smcr-5163d/

luckyluckyme
08-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Paul Nixon,

Thank you for the sound samples. They sound terrific; I'm smiling as I listen. Was surprised by several stereo selections.
Can't wait to receive my copy.

dba
08-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Amazon now posting 16.99 US. Pre-ordered mine

daviddesper
08-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Another shopping tip......I had been checking another one of my favorite websites, Deep Discount, and prior to today, they had not yet listed this CD. But now they have it for $14.63. They too offer free shipping if you order at least $25.00 worth.

paul_nixon
08-15-2017, 12:59 PM
http://classic.motown.com/story/spellbound-set-rare-holloway/

paul_nixon
08-16-2017, 10:26 AM

It's arrived at last.......after months it's actually here and sounds wonderful

snakepit
08-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Hoping to get mine by 22nd...so say Amazon uk

paul_nixon
08-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Hoping to get mine by 22nd...so say Amazon uk

Great - Snake well done - a word of warning to all those 'considering' have you seen how much the Brenda Anthology now fetches on the second hand market?

144man
08-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Mine's on the way - in Peterborough apparently, so maybe I'll get it earlier than the 22nd.

If the Brenda Anthology is in such demand as to push the prices up so high, why isn't it being reissued?

dickiemint
08-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Mine has been dispatched so it should be there when I get home from my holiday. That will be something to look forward to !!! Thanks Paul Nixon and the team hope that this is a success and paves the way for future releases Will Brenda be promoting this release when she comes to the UK next month ??

paul_nixon
08-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Mine's on the way - in Peterborough apparently, so maybe I'll get it earlier than the 22nd.

If the Brenda Anthology is in such demand as to push the prices up so high, why isn't it being reissued?

Not for want of me trying I can tell you

paul_nixon
08-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Mine has been dispatched so it should be there when I get home from my holiday. That will be something to look forward to !!! Thanks Paul Nixon and the team hope that this is a success and paves the way for future releases Will Brenda be promoting this release when she comes to the UK next month ??

Well she'll have a copy this week so my hope is she may perform a track or two at Skeggy fingers crossed

backflipboy
08-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Just got my copy delivered via Amazon in the UK, perhaps it's my OCD kicking in, but is there any reason [[apart from no one proof checking the artwork) that Track 9, Disk 1, is the ONLY one with a running time on the CD itself ?

wedgeville
08-19-2017, 12:21 AM
The Motown Unreleased 64, 65 and 66 downloads were all great to have, but the mixes on this new set are truly Superb. Plus the fact that we now have a physical copy.
What can I say - truly amazing.

And I have to say, Brenda Holloway was so ahead of her time on some of these tracks...

Well done Paul, David and Sharon, for such a wonderful job done here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

paul_nixon
08-19-2017, 02:34 AM
Just got my copy delivered via Amazon in the UK, perhaps it's my OCD kicking in, but is there any reason [[apart from no one proof checking the artwork) that Track 9, Disk 1, is the ONLY one with a running time on the CD itself ?

Thought I'd already answered this a couple of days back on another site - no there's no reason and yes it probably is your OCD kicking in, I'll ask the graphic artist why - perhaps he'll have a very deep and meaningful answer. In the meantime hope you are enjoying the music.

snakepit
08-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Paul

received today Saturday, and playing , and enjoying it.
Will play a number of tracks on my radio/mixcloud show over the coming weeks.
Let' hope Cheery Red sell a few copies...and release similar products on Motown.
regards
Larry
The Soulful Shack
www.mixcloud.com/snakepit2648/

snakepit
08-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Paul

Is there any evidence that Brenda recorded a Frank Wilson tune you may have heard of [[;):rolleyes:
" Do I love yo [[indeed I do).....Pretty sure we'd have heard about it, but with Motown, you never know.

paul_nixon
08-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Paul

Is there any evidence that Brenda recorded a Frank Wilson tune you may have heard of [[;):rolleyes:
" Do I love yo [[indeed I do).....Pretty sure we'd have heard about it, but with Motown, you never know.

You know my old saying Larry, never say never when it comes to Motown - I think however in this case we can seriously say no - no evidence whatsoever. Not to say she hasn't done it since she left though..

paul_nixon
08-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Paul

received today Saturday, and playing , and enjoying it.
Will play a number of tracks on my radio/mixcloud show over the coming weeks.
Let' hope Cheery Red sell a few copies...and release similar products on Motown.
regards
Larry
The Soulful Shack

Is this the link to listen to the show Snake - as I'll make sure I tune in?

snakepit
08-19-2017, 01:48 PM
yes Paul

just recorded the show 146 which will be available from Monday.

booty
08-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Seems like Cherry Red sold out before this was released. Even though I pre-ordered by copy of this together with the Willie Hutch set direct from them, only the Willie Hutch 2fer arrived on Friday with Spellbound showing as being "not sent" and also "not on back order"!

Ended up getting a copy from Amazon UK which arrived Saturday.

paul_nixon
08-20-2017, 08:33 AM
Seems like Cherry Red sold out before this was released. Even though I pre-ordered by copy of this together with the Willie Hutch set direct from them, only the Willie Hutch 2fer arrived on Friday with Spellbound showing as being "not sent" and also "not on back order"!

Ended up getting a copy from Amazon UK which arrived Saturday.

Blimey that's amazing I knew they had received a massive amount of pre-orders but running out already is something else. Just seen this amazing 5 star review from Mojo 13414

luckyluckyme
08-20-2017, 09:08 AM
I hope they saved some for those living outside the U.K.

paul_nixon
08-20-2017, 09:59 AM
I hope they saved some for those living outside the U.K.

I'm sure they'll do re-run

snakepit
08-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Paul

Soulful Shack 146 uploaded.
More Brenda next show
I hope you enjoy the show. If you do, please pass on the link to any people who might be interested in 60s Soul
thanks
Larry

paul_nixon
08-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Paul

Soulful Shack 146 uploaded.
More Brenda next show
I hope you enjoy the show. If you do, please pass on the link to any people who might be interested in 60s Soul
thanks
Larry

Great show Larry and not just because you played two of the fab tracks from the new Brenda H album - great choices for a first play - keep on with the West Coast tracks you'll get hooked eventually

jbpintus
08-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Fantastic set!
This a set nobody here should pass on.
Thanks Paul and everyone involved!

It's great to know it sells well too!

Keep 'em coming!

JB

paul_nixon
08-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Fantastic set!

Keep 'em coming!

JB

Thank you JB will pass your thoughts onto the team I'm sure they will be thrilled took a long time to get there with what is my first for SoulMusic Records but glad it's being received so well.

144man
08-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I was in HMV, Bond Street, today and to my surprise they had a copy in stock.

woodward
08-23-2017, 07:53 PM
I just got my shipping confirmation from www.wowhd.us to verify that my CD was shipped today from Shepherdsville, KY. It is being shipped 2 days before the release date. If I get mine by Monday 8/28 I will be very happy. I think I got the lowest possible price with free shipping.
This is the first I heard of wowhd and based upon this, I probably will be using them in the future.

paul_nixon
08-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I just got my shipping confirmation from www.wowhd.us to verify that my CD was shipped today from Shepherdsville, KY. It is being shipped 2 days before the release date. If I get mine by Monday 8/28 I will be very happy. I think I got the lowest possible price with free shipping.
This is the first I heard of wowhd and based upon this, I probably will be using them in the future.

Wow that's great service - I gather Brenda is getting a copy delivered herself this coming week - I'm hoping she's gonna approve - let us know what you think of the set

TomatoTom123
08-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Wow, Bill, I just checked out that website and the prices are crazy [[good)! And free delivery!!! I wish I had checked the website before I ordered The Undisputed Truth CD [[Nothing But The Truth) but oh well. Thanks for the post though!! Like you I will probably be using them in the future...! :)

paul_nixon
08-25-2017, 02:24 AM
I hear Brenda is going to be on the radio on the Bonnie Sher Show live on line on the 31st to talk about the new CD and her upcoming trip to the UK. For us fans here in the UK anyone know if it's available on catch up and what the station name is.

thommg
08-25-2017, 11:04 AM
I pre-ordered this from Amazon US. It should be arriving today, but I just checked the website since I hadn't heard anything. It says "Not yet shipped" and then "Arriving by 8PM today". I'm guessing it hasn't shipped and won't be arriving. That would truly bum me out.

thommg
08-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Well, Amazon US just changed the delivery date on my copy of Spellbound to September 13 - September 29. Not happy about this at all.

mistercarter2u
08-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Well, Amazon US just changed the delivery date on my copy of Spellbound to September 13 - September 29. Not happy about this at all.

I got the same message. Totally disappointed! Then went online and looked to get a copy from elsewhere. Several places say "out of stock." The average delivery date from those who do have the disc is mid-September. What is going on? Did they just not print enough???

mysterysinger
08-25-2017, 04:04 PM
OK so swayed by the great prices [[and free delivery) on WOW HD, I pre-ordered "Spellbound" along with the Willie Hutch 2'fer and the upcoming Undisputed Truth set [[in early July).

I have been informed that Brenda and Willie are on their way but have been growing just a little impatient - so much so that yesterday I ordered another copy of "Spellbound" from Amazon and it arrived today. Yippee. Incidentally I also saw a copy of it in HMV in Golden Square, Warrington today so HMV have stocks. First looks are everything I hoped for and I'm looking to forward to my first listen later. Gonna be a great weekend! Enjoy your weekend too folks.

longtimefan
08-25-2017, 05:02 PM
OK so swayed by the great prices [[and free delivery) on WOW HD, I pre-ordered "Spellbound" along with the Willie Hutch 2'fer and the upcoming Undisputed Truth set [[in early July).

I have been informed that Brenda and Willie are on their way but have been growing just a little impatient - so much so that yesterday I ordered another copy of "Spellbound" from Amazon and it arrived today. Yippee. Incidentally I also saw a copy of it in HMV in Golden Square, Warrington today so HMV have stocks. First looks are everything I hoped for and I'm looking to forward to my first listen later. Gonna be a great weekend! Enjoy your weekend too folks.

So what's with Amazon? I ordered my Brenda CD six weeks ago and up until yesterday it was stating that it would be delivered today. So today I suddenly get an email saying it will not arrive until mid September!!!!

And now I see that Mysterysinger ordered from Amazon just yesterday and received it today. Good for Mysterysinger but BOO to Amazon. I cancelled my Amazon order.

paul_nixon
08-26-2017, 02:59 AM
I'm really sorry to hear you are having difficulties getting hold of the new Brenda Holloway CD it must have sold very well and perhaps demand exceeded supply in this case, I am sure they will be on the case as soon as possible in order to fulfil outstanding orders in the meantime look at these chart positions

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/independent-albums-breakers-chart/

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/independent-albums-chart/

Thanks to Copsey over on Motown Treasures for supplying them

TomatoTom123
08-26-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm really sorry to hear you are having difficulties getting hold of the new Brenda Holloway CD it must have sold very well and perhaps demand exceeded supply in this case, I am sure they will be on the case as soon as possible in order to fulfil outstanding orders in the meantime look at these chart positions

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/independent-albums-breakers-chart/

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/independent-albums-chart/

Thanks to Copsey over on Motown Treasures for supplying them

Oh wow, that's so cool to see!!!! Brenda's album hitting the charts! Love it :D

danman869
08-26-2017, 10:46 AM
So what's with Amazon? I ordered my Brenda CD six weeks ago and up until yesterday it was stating that it would be delivered today. So today I suddenly get an email saying it will not arrive until mid September!!!!

And now I see that Mysterysinger ordered from Amazon just yesterday and received it today. Good for Mysterysinger but BOO to Amazon. I cancelled my Amazon order.

I, too, am one who ordered from Amazon US back in July and [[like ThomMG) got the messages that it was "shipping today" [[Friday) and then became delayed until mid-September. I chalk it up to there not having been enough stock made of the item that it made it to the US from the UK. BUT! It's WONDERFUL that it has already been exceeding sales expectations! Brenda deserves any and all recognition that could come from this CD doing so well!

Oh--and I think Mysterysinger received theirs so quickly after ordering because they're in the UK and ordering from Amazon UK. I have occasionally experienced this kind of delay with newly-released Ace/Kent product, too, that I order from Amazon US. While it's highly annoying, the only thing I can think to make myself feel better is that the item[[s) are selling well.

Another general observation: perhaps all Motown-related releases are finally starting to sell better than they had in the past? I hope it helps more Motown to be released in the future!

woodward
08-26-2017, 03:32 PM
I just received via the USPS [[U S Postal System) tracking system that my CD has arrived Saturday at 1:48 PM at the local post office. That means that without fail, it will be delivered to my box on Monday the 28th. Not bad considering it was only to be released yesterday. I anxiously look forward to receiving and listening to it.
I bought it from wowhd.

paul_nixon
08-27-2017, 03:28 AM
I just received via the USPS [[U S Postal System) tracking system that my CD has arrived Saturday at 1:48 PM at the local post office. That means that without fail, it will be delivered to my box on Monday the 28th. Not bad considering it was only to be released yesterday. I anxiously look forward to receiving and listening to it.
I bought it from wowhd.

Brilliant news will look forward to hearing what you think about it next week.....your purchase help put Brenda back in the British Charts again well done.

westgrandboulevard
08-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Am eagerly awaiting my copy from wowhd.co.uk.

'...back in the British charts again...'

I was just thinking. Did any of Brenda's solo releases [[excluding various artist compilations) ever reach the British charts?

I can't recall that they did..or maybe one or two perhaps had a brief showing, lower in the top 50?

If they didn't, then this is Brenda's very first British chart entry, fifty years down the line..which makes 'Spellbound' all the more remarkable.:)

paul_nixon
08-28-2017, 03:01 AM
Am eagerly awaiting my copy from wowhd.co.uk.

'...back in the British charts again...'

I was just thinking. Did any of Brenda's solo releases [[excluding various artist compilations) ever reach the British charts?

I can't recall that they did..or maybe one or two perhaps had a brief showing, lower in the top 50?

If they didn't, then this is Brenda's very first British chart entry, fifty years down the line..which makes 'Spellbound' all the more remarkable.:)

Anyone know the answers to this?

TomatoTom123
08-28-2017, 04:56 AM
Anyone know the answers to this?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Brenda never had any hit singles here in the UK [[yea, I know) so her albums, I don't know. Here's a list of Brenda's hits: http://www.musicvf.com/Brenda+Holloway.art

Maybe Brenda's Motown Anthology would have made the charts like Spellbound has... I remember reading a very positive review of it by the BBC... yes, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pqjw/

The UK Charts website, however, has 'no results' for Brenda, which I believe means she had no charting singles or albums on the main UK charts, but I'm not sure. Here it is: http://www.officialcharts.com/search/artists/brenda%20holloway/

paul_nixon
08-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Brenda never had any hit singles here in the UK [[yea, I know) so her albums, I don't know. Here's a list of Brenda's hits: http://www.musicvf.com/Brenda+Holloway.art

Maybe Brenda's Motown Anthology would have made the charts like Spellbound has... I remember reading a very positive review of it by the BBC... yes, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/pqjw/

The UK Charts website, however, has 'no results' for Brenda, which I believe means she had no charting singles or albums on the main UK charts, but I'm not sure. Here it is: http://www.officialcharts.com/search/artists/brenda%20holloway/

I had a good look at the chart history as well and \I couldn't find one entry in the 60's so this album is a record breaker for Brenda - I've just sent her a congratulatory message - i bet she's chuffed

jack020
08-29-2017, 02:02 PM
https://theseconddisc.com/2017/08/cant-hold-the-feeling-back-brenda-holloways-lost-motown-sessions-arrive-on-spellbound/

TomatoTom123
08-29-2017, 08:43 PM
I had a good look at the chart history as well and \I couldn't find one entry in the 60's so this album is a record breaker for Brenda - I've just sent her a congratulatory message - i bet she's chuffed

Oh, that's so great! Thanks Paul. So cool to see her album hitting the charts in the present day! I'm so happy for her!!!! :D

Eastleighsoulboy
08-30-2017, 02:05 AM
Hi All, as a 'Newbie' this is my first post. I've now heard both CDs, twice. I can't thank Paul Nixon enough for his hard work, you've surpassed your own high standards mate! To John Lester for supplying the beautiful picture on P5, to Sharon Davis for her, as always, comprehensive liner notes, again, Paul, for your lines of thought, Cherry Red for running with this vision and, so obviously, the wonderful Brenda herself. A true recognition at last! So great to hear the previously unreleased stuff but also tracks such as Can't Hold The Feeling Back which seems to have a new life. My favourite disc is Disc 2, altogether more up tempo, something I associate Ms Holloway with BUT my favourite tune? Just has to be I Still Get Butterflies, so redolent of the angst and unfulfilled love that we often get from our first ever true love. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!

paul_nixon
08-30-2017, 02:59 AM
Hi All, as a 'Newbie' this is my first post. I've now heard both CDs, twice. I can't thank Paul Nixon enough for his hard work, you've surpassed your own high standards mate! To John Lester for supplying the beautiful picture on P5, to Sharon Davis for her, as always, comprehensive liner notes, again, Paul, for your lines of thought, Cherry Red for running with this vision and, so obviously, the wonderful Brenda herself. A true recognition at last! So great to hear the previously unreleased stuff but also tracks such as Can't Hold The Feeling Back which seems to have a new life. My favourite disc is Disc 2, altogether more up tempo, something I associate Ms Holloway with BUT my favourite tune? Just has to be I Still Get Butterflies, so redolent of the angst and unfulfilled love that we often get from our first ever true love. Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!

Wow great review Eastleighsoulboy and welcome to Souldful Detroit and your first post, you'll find a great bunch of Motown fans over here who I'm sure will make you very welcome. If it's OK I'm going tp pass on your thoughts to Cherry Red and SoulMusic Records who've asked to see any 'reviews' or mentions of it on fan sites - I am sure they'll be delighted - I know I am and like you I Still Get Butterflies.

copley
08-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Brenda never had any UK chart entries, until now that is :)

snakepit
08-30-2017, 09:07 AM
I distinctly remember Tony Blackburn playing the reissue of " Just look what you've done" on his breakfast show...he had a habit of playing a Motown track in the last few minutes before 9.00 am...I know because I waited to hear the last few minutes before setting off for school....often getting there late as Assembly started.

paul_nixon
08-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Brenda has asked me to remind you all that she is on the radio today 2PM California time 10pm UK promoting the new CD 13430

paul_nixon
08-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Also she would like to share her official Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/theebrendaholloway/

zani57
08-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Thank you, Jack020, for posting the review from The Second Disc. I contacted Amazon and they said they are out of stock and would inform me when it becomes available again.

paul_nixon
08-31-2017, 05:04 AM
Thank you, Jack020, for posting the review from The Second Disc. I contacted Amazon and they said they are out of stock and would inform me when it becomes available again.

Amazon sold out as well - that's crazy is that on the US or UK site?

copley
08-31-2017, 07:36 AM
Amazon sold out as well - that's crazy is that on the US or UK site?

US Paul, still in stock in UK. I think that Amazon US only had a limited supply as the sales position is very low.

kenneth
09-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Got mine today by way of WOW.HD. Someone said they shipped from Germany. Not sure...mine seemed to come from somewhere in the US but it did seem to come a few days [[or even a week maybe?) after others said they got it.

Great set, though. Wow, she wails "Today I Sing the Blues" and almost sounds like Aretha. And I love her version of the Kim Weston song "Just Loving You" which is great as well. Sound is very good too. So glad this came out!

So glad Brenda's tracks are all being mined in the vaults. Finally after all this time, she's been well served. But wouldn't it be great to finally get some Blinky out of there? I hope this label keeps it up!

paul_nixon
09-01-2017, 03:05 AM

Our Brenda has her copy and looks as pleased as punch and doesnt she look wonderful? Photo courtesy Rudy Calvo

paul_nixon
09-01-2017, 03:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8IMUO-VI

For those who missed the show

kenneth
09-01-2017, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=paul_nixon;

Our Brenda has her copy and looks as pleased as punch and doesnt she look wonderful? Photo courtesy Rudy Calvo[/QUOTE]

Pleased...and gorgeous indeed!

I put up a review on Amazon. Guys, please be sure to do that. Here, we're preaching to the choir. Let's make sure Brenda sells a lot of these!

mysterysinger
09-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Having ordered "Spellbound" in early July from Wow HD along with the Willie Hutch and Undisputed Truth CDs, I can tell you that shipping on the first 2 was 22nd August and receipt was not until today - 1st September. That's quite a wait [[and in between I bought another "Spellbound" from Amazon but Disc 1 was scratched and the whole CD returned for a refund).

Have to say that my Wow copy of "Spellbound" is also damaged as the case is cracked [[!) as is the case on the Wow Willie Hutch CD, but I think I'll keep them - shall have to obtain some suitable [[more robust?) jewel cases. Still waiting for the Undisputed Truth but that was released later than the other 2 - wonder what condition that will arrive in.

kenneth
09-01-2017, 04:33 PM
@mysterysinger, I'm almost surprised when CDs in the double slim line packs arrive undamaged. Mine was okay but the hubs on the liner made the CD really hard to get out - I was sure I was going to break the CDs.

Let us know what you thought of the music after you have a listen. I'm loving it.

luckyluckyme
09-01-2017, 08:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8IMUO-VI

For those who missed the show

Thank you for posting the link.
I don't wish to be critical but the interviewer's style & questions left a lot to be desired [[imho). Brenda however was lovely, charming, and honest.

paul_nixon
09-02-2017, 03:33 AM
Wasn't she amazing - considering the poor girl had only had her copy of the CD a few hours it was amazing she was able to talk a little about it - we have to remember these tracks were laid down over 50 years ago - and she was churning out classics day and night. Remembering what I did last week is bad enough LOL.....

mysterysinger
09-02-2017, 07:03 AM
@mysterysinger, I'm almost surprised when CDs in the double slim line packs arrive undamaged. Mine was okay but the hubs on the liner made the CD really hard to get out - I was sure I was going to break the CDs.

Let us know what you thought of the music after you have a listen. I'm loving it.

I've had the same trouble getting the CD out of the case - hope Brenda managed to prize hers off lol. Wonder if she has copies of all her CDs [[and albums for that matter). I think it is going to take a couple more playings before any favourites emerge for me on "Spellbound". However, congratulations to all involved on the CD set and for the chart placing. I expect there'll be more to come?

paul_nixon
09-02-2017, 01:47 PM
I've had the same trouble getting the CD out of the case - hope Brenda managed to prize hers off lol. Wonder if she has copies of all her CDs [[and albums for that matter). I think it is going to take a couple more playings before any favourites emerge for me on "Spellbound". However, congratulations to all involved on the CD set and for the chart placing. I expect there'll be more to come?

Then you must play it lots and quickly for there are at least a dozen tracks on there that hooked me from the first spin

kenneth
09-02-2017, 02:41 PM

I love her versions of "Just Loving You," "What Good Am I Without You," and especially her version of "Today I Sing the Blues." I've always thought of Holloway as a very gifted singer, but one who often relied on her usual sultry style to put over a song. "Blues" is nothing like anything you've ever heard her done before and proves she could belt with the best of 'em!

woodward
09-02-2017, 02:48 PM

I agree about the music. The first disc I would rate at a 3 star and the second disc I would rate at a 5 star [[highest).

I do agree about the difficulty of getting the CDs out of the case. It's a problem they have not mastered yet.

lester
09-03-2017, 04:19 AM
Fantastic set!

Keep 'em coming!

JB

Congrats to ALL involved with this new album. How old is she? what a new album? VERY WELL DONE MA'MA

paul_nixon
09-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Congrats to ALL involved with this new album. How old is she? what a new album? VERY WELL DONE MA'MA

You never ask a lady her age LOL - I'll pass on your remarks to the label who are so far over the moon with the reception this release has had - here's hoping there maybe some more in the pipeline you never know

jbpintus
09-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Probably a useless post from me. But I can't help but saying once again how fantastic this set is.

A few points come to mind anyway :

- Brenda Holloway can still surprise us with 33 classic tracks. There is not a single bad or even so-so track in there. She's fabulous. So much soul and 'presence' in her singing. She's one of the greatest voices ever imho. I don't think she knows she's that much admired by people all over the world, that maybe somewhere a 13 year old kid may be spinning this last cd to death - at that age I was playing the newly released "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" which I had bought as an import from the US and whose selections ended being played to death in the middle of nowhere in France...

- I didn't fully appreciate the tracks when released as downloads. So we do need more physical releases of everything available as downloads only. Else we'll miss something.

- DRATS are great. And I long for the next expanded release of Sing HDH. But : money can be also made with the likes of Brenda Holloway, Undisputed Truth or Willie Hutch, so please Mr and Mrs the powers-that-be, please give the green lights to people knowing what we are going to buy, even artists that didn't sell that much in the past. Bring on Jr Walker, Jermaine Jackson, the Originals... and Blinky of course !

JB

luckyluckyme
09-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Maybe it's just me. But everytime I get to the last track, Brenda's quote from The Motown Story [[lp & cd) "that being at Motown was just like being at Disneyland" comes to mind. And reading that she recorded demos for most of what was to be the Supremes Disney album was intriguing. It also sent me to DFTMC.
I can't find any info for The Land Of Make Believe other than by DR&TS.
Was Brenda's interview conducted during the time she was cutting those demos? And what other songs from that project did she demo?

jbpintus
09-03-2017, 07:45 PM
I really hope we'll hear them someday. A "Motown Sings Disney Classic" 2 CDs set would be fantastic...
Cd 1 : Brenda Holloway's demos
Cd 2 : The Supremes sing Disney Classics complete works

It would surely sell well; and get mixed reviews as well probably.

JB

paul_nixon
09-04-2017, 03:12 AM
Maybe it's just me. But everytime I get to the last track, Brenda's quote from The Motown Story [[lp & cd) "that being at Motown was just like being at Disneyland" comes to mind. And reading that she recorded demos for most of what was to be the Supremes Disney album was intriguing. It also sent me to DFTMC.
I can't find any info for The Land Of Make Believe other than by DR&TS.
Was Brenda's interview conducted during the time she was cutting those demos? And what other songs from that project did she demo?

Most of them have a demo JB

mysterysinger
09-04-2017, 06:18 AM
"When You Wish Upon A Star" Brenda style?

snakepit
09-04-2017, 07:18 AM
Glad to hear the label bosses are happy with this.
Hopefully more....Originals and Ivy Hunter would be my choice , presumably there are a number of unissued tracks. But the Originals albums would be ideal.

longtimefan
09-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Thelma Houston anthology with unreleased tracks, please :-)

lakedistrictlad1
09-06-2017, 03:57 PM
I've been playing this collection on a loop today. The music really gets under your skin. The versatility of Brenda in these recordings is astounding. The mastering is amazing. The sound is far superior to the digital downloads to my ears.
Congratulations to everyone involved in this release.
I'm sure the great reception this CD has received has made Brenda 'so very happy'

theboyfromxtown
09-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Glad to hear the label bosses are happy with this.
Hopefully more....Originals and Ivy Hunter would be my choice , presumably there are a number of unissued tracks. But the Originals albums would be ideal.
With you on both counts. Fingers crossed that there is enough interest to warrant releases from these artists.

TomatoTom123
09-06-2017, 07:00 PM
I would love just about anything... The Originals, Ivy Jo Hunter, Thelma Houston, it's all good...!!!!

With you on both counts. Fingers crossed that there is enough interest to warrant releases from these artists.

Hopefully there is, boyfromxtown! I would certainly be interested :cool:

kenneth
09-07-2017, 01:02 AM
I'm sure the great reception this CD has received has made Brenda 'so very happy'

The definitive quote!

mysterysinger
09-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Then you must play it lots and quickly for there are at least a dozen tracks on there that hooked me from the first spin

Well after a few spins I have to concur with the view that this is an amazing package. Most [[probably all) of the tracks are very commercial to my ears and several would have stood up as singles, maybe with hit potential. The arrangements and production are great throughout. There are some tremendous vocal performances and utterly outstanding is her vocal range on "Just Loving You".

We hear lots of different sides to Brenda's vocal capabilities, at times having a feel of Gladys or Martha and also one track, "Girl On The Run", shows that she would have been perfect as vocalist on one of the Bond themes [[still could be?). There's a rather sexy sound too at the start of "Lucky My Boy".

There's such a range of styles and dare I say eras because there are tracks that sound like they were prepared for Brenda's first album but then some that suggest she could have released a "Sophisticated Soul" type of album.

Some gritty soulful performances, interspersed with mellow sounds and dance cuts. The set has it all and more. Well done everyone involved. But I still can't pick a favourite - I like 'em all.

paul_nixon
09-13-2017, 03:36 AM
Well after a few spins I have to concur with the view that this is an amazing package. Most [[probably all) of the tracks are very commercial to my ears and several would have stood up as singles, maybe with hit potential. The arrangements and production are great throughout. There are some tremendous vocal performances and utterly outstanding is her vocal range on "Just Loving You".

We hear lots of different sides to Brenda's vocal capabilities, at times having a feel of Gladys or Martha and also one track, "Girl On The Run", shows that she would have been perfect as vocalist on one of the Bond themes [[still could be?). There's a rather sexy sound too at the start of "Lucky My Boy".

There's such a range of styles and dare I say eras because there are tracks that sound like they were prepared for Brenda's first album but then some that suggest she could have released a "Sophisticated Soul" type of album.

Some gritty soulful performances, interspersed with mellow sounds and dance cuts. The set has it all and more. Well done everyone involved. But I still can't pick a favourite - I like 'em all.

What amazing review I am making sure Cherry Red and Soul music Records see everyone of these as soon as they are posted who knows enough glowing reviews and sales and it could be the start of a beautiful friendship....

thommg
09-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Hallelujah! My copy of Spellbound just arrived in New York City. Hopefully all the other USA people on backorder through Amazon will receive theirs. Cannot wait to get home to listen to this. After a mediocre to bad morning at work I now have light at the end of the tunnel! :cool:

masterblaster
09-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Can't wait for my copy, ordered 2nd September from an Amazon trader.

theboyfromxtown
09-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Brenda is at Skegness and she's excited to be back in the UK.

Have a great time Brenda - we love you

theboyfromxtown
09-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Wayne and Brenda..about 5 minutes ago! lol

dickiemint
09-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Awesome photo can you give us a run down on Brenda's set please
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

theboyfromxtown
09-24-2017, 04:09 AM
Awesome photo can you give us a run down on Brenda's set please
Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Wayne will be back tomorrow. I think Brenda is performing this afternoon.

theboyfromxtown
09-24-2017, 03:13 PM
https://www.facebook.com/wayne.edwards.77582/videos/10213878736505472/

mysterysinger
09-24-2017, 05:41 PM
By eck! Things are looking up.

TomatoTom123
09-24-2017, 06:51 PM
By eck! Things are looking up.

Lol

When I saved the image it kinda stretched out a bit

Try this :D

mysterysinger
09-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Lol - I don't think either version is flattering to Ms. Holloway [[or her right nostril). She is a beautiful and friendly lady - I expect she performed something from her "new album" [[i.e. "Spellbound"). Also there are bound to be videos on YouTube.

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
09-30-2017, 08:04 AM
My back-ordered copy finally arrived and it was worth the wait--the CD mastering sounds absolutely wonderful! I compared it to the Motown Unreleased downloads [[which were all in mono) and noticed 10 of the songs on the new Spellbound set are stereo mixes [[and most of them have longer extended endings too!) They did a great job on this.

I almost thought the stereo version of "I Feel Your Love Growin' On Me" had to be a different recording of the song cuz it sounds so different from the mono mix, but it's the same recording, it just sounds different cuz her voice is double-tracked on the stereo mix.

And "It's Going All The Way To True True Love" has the same music as The Supremes' song, but the lyrics are totally different. I wonder if it had a different working title...

10-07-2017, 03:25 AM
Might as well add this list I made for anyone who's trying to collect all of the bonus unreleased Brenda Holloway Motown songs that have been officially released. If you have the new Spellbound 2CD set and her 2CD The Motown Anthology from 2005 [[I just noticed it's now available as a download, which is good since the physical CD version is now very rare and goes for so much money!) then here's every other Motown song available that's not on those 2 sets:

COMPILATION CD SONGS

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! THE MOTOWN SOUND
Lonely Boy

TAMLA MOTOWN CONNOISSEURS
Tell Me Your Story

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!
All Your Love
How Can I
My World Is Crumbling
Who You Gonna Run To
Trapped In A Love Affair

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 2
Crying Time

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 3
You’re Walking Out With My Heart
We’ll Keep On Rolling
Going To A Go-Go

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 4
My Baby Moves Me
Little Miss Loser

MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES
Ooo Baby Baby

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

THE ARTISTRY OF BRENDA HOLLOWAY
Mr Lifeguard [[Come And Rescue Me)
My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
After All That You’ve Done
The Love Line
Can’t We Be Strangers Again
Just Another Lonely Night
Where There’s A Will There’s A Way
It’s Love I Need

LOVE & AFFECTION: MORE MOTOWN GIRLS
Reassure Me That You Love Me
Lonely Teardrops

DOWNLOAD-ONLY SONGS

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1963
Each Little Teardrop

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966
Baby I’ve Got It
Keep Me

honest man
10-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Might as well add this list I made for anyone who's trying to collect all of the bonus unreleased Brenda Holloway Motown songs that have been officially released. If you have the new Spellbound 2CD set and her 2CD The Motown Anthology from 2005 [[I just noticed it's now available as a download, which is good since the physical CD version is now very rare and goes for so much money!) then here's every other Motown song available that's not on those 2 sets:

COMPILATION CD SONGS

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL! THE MOTOWN SOUND
Lonely Boy

TAMLA MOTOWN CONNOISSEURS
Tell Me Your Story

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN!
All Your Love
How Can I
My World Is Crumbling
Who You Gonna Run To
Trapped In A Love Affair

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 2
Crying Time

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 3
You’re Walking Out With My Heart
We’ll Keep On Rolling
Going To A Go-Go

A CELLARFUL OF MOTOWN! VOL. 4
My Baby Moves Me
Little Miss Loser

MOTOWN SINGS MOTOWN TREASURES
Ooo Baby Baby

FINDERS KEEPERS: MOTOWN GIRLS 1961-67
Don’t Turn Your Back On Me

THE ARTISTRY OF BRENDA HOLLOWAY
Mr Lifeguard [[Come And Rescue Me)
My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down
After All That You’ve Done
The Love Line
Can’t We Be Strangers Again
Just Another Lonely Night
Where There’s A Will There’s A Way
It’s Love I Need

LOVE & AFFECTION: MORE MOTOWN GIRLS
Reassure Me That You Love Me
Lonely Teardrops

DOWNLOAD-ONLY SONGS

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1963
Each Little Teardrop

MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1966
Baby I’ve Got It
Keep Me
Thank You Sir, i just love info like this,i have everything mentioned above and it makes my life so easy to have a list like this,as im getting older im always trying to condense Motown Ultimate collections into fave cdr,this has helped so much,thank you once again.

mysterysinger
10-07-2017, 06:16 AM
Yeah it's great to have the info in one place. Thanks.

longtimefan
10-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Great job!!! Many thanks for your efforts, Buttered Popcorn. This type of information sharing is what is best about SDF! Cheers! !!!

144man
10-07-2017, 11:49 AM
There is an alternative version of "Tell Me Your Story" which really needs to be released.

12-05-2017, 04:24 AM
Well, now thanks to the surprise limited CD release of Motown Unreleased 1966 I can update the list. "Baby I've Got It" and "Keep Me" will finally be available on CD! And the following songs will be different mixes compared to the Spellbound CD [[they appear in stereo on Spellbound and mono on Motown Unreleased 1966):

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking
Whenever You Need Me
The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me
What Good Am I Without You
I Feel Your Love Growin’ On Me [[mono version has a single-track vocal compared to the double-tracked stereo vocal)
Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin’
You Got A Little Of Everything
I’m Giving Up [[the end goes on longer on the mono version)
Spellbound
Can’t Hold The Feeling Back

westgrandboulevard
06-26-2023, 06:28 AM
"...I was just fed up with not having hits out, and everyone around me were having hits.

I just didn't have the foresight because I left the company in the middle of a Smokey Robinson session. I could have killed myself.

He was cutting all these songs on me and I wanted a hit, like everybody else did, but I didn't have any patience.

You know, there's so much that goes on along with the entertainment business backstage.

You see a lot other stuff that goes on, that other people don't see, and it kind of confuses you.

I was just a young kid."

- monkey-picks.blogspot.com - 'My Life Has Been Beautiful' interview, March 2014 -

June 26th: Happy Birthday to Brenda Holloway :)

SatansBlues
06-26-2023, 02:29 PM
Happy Birthday to Brenda Holloway!