PDA

View Full Version : Martha & The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack Original Stereo Mix in Mono???

test

mrbfly
07-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm listening right now to Jimmy Mack by the Vandellas and I thought of one thing, maybe someone has the answer:
Though we all know that the Mono-Version [[Single Version) is a complete new Mix as the Stereo album mix I was wondering of the original Stereo mix was available in Mono somwhere.
On the mono album of Watchout! Jimmy Mack is included with a new mix.
So does anyone ever found/heard the mono version of the original stereo mix???

Ben

Motown Eddie
07-15-2017, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm listening right now to Jimmy Mack by the Vandellas and I thought of one thing, maybe someone has the answer:
Though we all know that the Mono-Version [[Single Version) is a complete new Mix as the Stereo album mix I was wondering of the original Stereo mix was available in Mono somwhere.
On the mono album of Watchout! Jimmy Mack is included with a new mix.

Ben

I don't know if there ever was a mono mix done on the stereo version of Martha & the Vandellas "Jimmy Mack". As far as I know, the single version of "Jimmy Mack" was one of those Motown songs that never received a stereo mix [[until 2005' Various Artists collection, The Motown Box & 2013's Martha Reeves & the Vandellas' 50th Anniversary Singles Collection). Other full-stereo tracks from Motown LPs that didn't turn up until recently include The Supremes' "He Holds His Own", "Any Girl In Love [[Know What I'm Going Through" & "He's All I've Got".

bradburger
07-15-2017, 12:02 PM
The version on 'Watchout' was a different take to the one released as the single.

http://www.pfunkportal.com/recordings/4126

https://youtu.be/BfGcjWgG4-Y?t=334

Cheers

Paul

blackguy69
07-15-2017, 01:15 PM
The version on 'Watchout' was a different take to the one released as the single.

http://www.pfunkportal.com/recordings/4126

https://youtu.be/BfGcjWgG4-Y?t=334

Cheers

Paul

Thus one has been discussed before. The album version is the original version where as the singles version is the updated hit version. Just to make sure I got it right, Annette sang in the original version while Betty sang on the hit version. Or did Betty sang on both?

bradsupremes
07-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Thus one has been discussed before. The album version is the original version where as the singles version is the updated hit version. Just to make sure I got it right, Annette sang in the original version while Betty sang on the hit version. Or did Betty sang on both?

I always believed Annette was on both. I think they both were recorded in 1964, but the single hit version had a few things added in 1967 like the handclaps and the Andantes.

bradburger
07-15-2017, 02:05 PM
In the P-Funk Portal link I posted [[which uses the track annotations from the various box sets issued), the first version recorded on March 2nd 1964, was the take used for the 1967 single.

The foot stomps and any other overdubs were done on January 17th, 1967, and it was then mixed and issued as a single [[Gordy 7058 A) on February 3rd 1967.

But I wonder which take was used for 'Watchout'. The March 25th recut, or the one recut on June 18?

Maybe Keith Hughes can chime in with the answer.

Cheers

Paul

marv2
07-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Annette said she sang on the "Jimmy Mack" recording which was done originally in 1964.

bradburger
07-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Ben

Wasn't it a mono mix on the mono issue of the 'Watchout' L.P?

[[Or was it a fold down of the stereo mix?)

Of course, there is a mono mix of the take used on 'Watchout' if you don't mind the lead in Spanish!

However, this mix has the foot stomps added, as per the stereo mix [[same take as on the version of 'Watchout'), issued on 'A Collection Of 16 Big Hits' Volume 8.

Cheers

Paul

thanxal
07-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Of course, there is a mono mix of the take used on 'Watchout' if you don't mind the lead in Spanish!

However, this mix has the foot stomps added, as per the stereo mix [[same take as on the version of 'Watchout'), issued on 'A Collection Of 16 Big Hits' Volume 8.

Cheers

Paul
The mono version on Watchout! is the single version - a completely different version. [[I wouldn't use the word "mix", I'd use "version"). I think mrbfly is looking for a mono mix of the LP stereo version [[the jazzier, slower tempo one). If it exists, I've never found it. Or I could just be terribly confused by the question.

huntergettingcaptured
07-16-2017, 02:08 AM

Cheers

Paul

I don't know if any other Motown song has cause more confusion between mixes and version as Jimmy Mack. I'm still to this day cloudy on the whole subject. However I can tell you, the stereo version of Watchout! has the jazzy version [[not mix) of Jimmy Mack, the one with the Baby Love shuffle beat and honky-tonk piano fills. Not sure which take this one is.

The mono version of Watchout! has the hit single version/mix, not a mere fold down of the stereo mix. I have both albums and it confused me a long time ago to hear the same song in two versions [[not mixes.)

theboyfromxtown
07-16-2017, 05:15 AM
Brian Holland asked Russ Terrana to add the footstomps. If you are clever enough, check back in the SDF archives to find the thread where Russ talks about it.

Or ask Ralph very nicely if can do a video where he and Russ can talk about it..again

mrbfly
07-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Yes, that is all correct:
The original version from 1964 was used for the Stereo version of the album
The later "mixed" version was used for the Mono version of the album.

I always thought in the early days [[like 63/64) they only use Mono Mixes for a release, so there must be a Mono mix of the more jazzy version.

Another thing that confuses me is:
The Watchout album was released in November 1966, in the 5th Anniversary booklet they write the Single Mix was mixed in January 1967. So how could that mix be on the Mono version of the album that was released two month prior!?!?

huntergettingcaptured
07-16-2017, 12:20 PM

I always thought in the early days [[like 63/64) they only use Mono Mixes for a release, so there must be a Mono mix of the more jazzy version.

The Watchout album was released in November 1966, in the 5th Anniversary booklet they write the Single Mix was mixed in January 1967. So how could that mix be on the Mono version of the album that was released two month prior!?!?

Ahhh yess! See why I'm so confused and cloudy on this whole subject?

reese
07-16-2017, 02:47 PM

Maybe they re-pressed the mono album once JIMMY MACK started to hit?

huntergettingcaptured
07-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Maybe they re-pressed the mono album once JIMMY MACK started to hit? That one is a real head-scratcher. The thing that really stood out to me about that mono album when I heard it was that the mono mix of Jimmy Mack sounded odd, because it sounded like it was from a newer Motown Sound era compared to the other material. I remember thinking "Whhaaaaat?

mysterysinger
07-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Here is another thread from 2011 in case it helps...
https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?3893-Re-Jimmy-Mack

mysterysinger
07-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Couple of other things to consider.

The stereo version [[as per "Watch Out" etc. doesn't have drums at the start and has the honky tonk type piano - this is in a slightly higher key [[or maybe runs a little faster) than all the other mixes and versions.

On the 50th Anniversary Singles Collection - the version shown as the Stereo Single Version has drums from the start but has as its most prominent instrument the rhythm guitar. This also is most prominent on the Motown Karaoke multiplex version.

The proper single version [[the most common one) has drums from the start and has a more prominent piano.

The song actually contains some beautiful chords [[slightly buried by the beat).