PDA

View Full Version : Ordered tickets today for Patti Labelle

test

daviddesper
07-14-2017, 11:25 PM
She is coming to Charlottesville, VA on October 8th to perform in a 1,000 seat theater. Same one as Diana Ross a couple of years ago. Any thoughts about what kind of show I can expect?

reese
07-15-2017, 07:29 AM
I saw Patti earlier this year in NJ. She was as good as ever. She did a lot of her hits, some that I had not heard in a while. The only complaint I had is that often, she doesn't do an entire song. She might do just a verse or two.

Other than that, her shows are just as they've always been. Great singing, a lot of humor, some audience participation.

PeaceNHarmony
07-15-2017, 07:30 AM
My guess is Patti will work in quite a bit of material from her new 'The Jazz In You' - but I haven't heard anything concrete. I hope it's great!

luke
07-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Any thoughts as to why Pattis voice is still so exceptional especially considering the workout it gets? It kind of disproves the belief that voice deteriorates with age. Or is Patti the exception that proves the rule? [[And Gladys, Mary...)

sansradio
07-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Any thoughts as to why Pattis voice is still so exceptional especially considering the workout it gets? It kind of disproves the belief that voice deteriorates with age. Or is Patti the exception that proves the rule? [[And Gladys, Mary...)

I tend to disagree about Patti, Luke; it seems to me that live, her vocal power is somewhat diminished lately. Don't shoot me, I just feel that she's not quite what she used to be...and I say that as a certified Labelleocologist.

PeaceNHarmony
07-15-2017, 07:06 PM
I heard Patti's version of 'Here's To Life' on a jazz station today. Quite good; she stays away [[mostly) from the Miss Patti 'yippin' & yellin' that can mar her performances. Patti also has insulin issues but she is a legend and [[I think) worth seeing. The Labelle reunion shows of '08 were magical.

reese
07-15-2017, 09:40 PM
I tend to disagree about Patti, Luke; it seems to me that live, her vocal power is somewhat diminished lately. Don't shoot me, I just feel that she's not quite what she used to be...and I say that as a certified Labelleocologist.

In recent interviews, Patti has mentioned that she has lost some of her upper range, as most singers do. And if you are really an avid listener, one can hear the difference. In Patti's case, when I listen, sometimes it seems as if she forgets what notes she can no longer hit, starts going for them, and then has to work her way out of it. In the end, though, I still love her, and can't wait to see her again in October.

reese
07-15-2017, 09:41 PM
I heard Patti's version of 'Here's To Life' on a jazz station today. Quite good; she stays away [[mostly) from the Miss Patti 'yippin' & yellin' that can mar her performances. Patti also has insulin issues but she is a legend and [[I think) worth seeing. The Labelle reunion shows of '08 were magical.

I caught the reunion shows at the Apollo and the Beacon. Both were great, and exposed me to Labelle material that I had in my collection but never paid close attention to.

PeaceNHarmony
07-15-2017, 10:01 PM
I caught the reunion shows at the Apollo and the Beacon. Both were great, and exposed me to Labelle material that I had in my collection but never paid close attention to.
Good for you; did you go back to the Apollo the night after power was lost? You must be a young-un, I'm guessin'! The reunion shows were a dream come true; I never thought they would happen. And the set-lists were a Labelle-hag dream. Don't get me started on the costumes - brilliant. What an amazing trio of women - giants walked the earth.

reese
07-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Good for you; did you go back to the Apollo the night after power was lost? You must be a young-un, I'm guessin'! The reunion shows were a dream come true; I never thought they would happen. And the set-lists were a Labelle-hag dream. Don't get me started on the costumes - brilliant. What an amazing trio of women - giants walked the earth.

Yes, I caught both nights at the Apollo. I missed a performance of Patti LuPone in GYPSY to do so, but it was more than worth it.

PeaceNHarmony
07-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Yes, I caught both nights at the Apollo. I missed a performance of Patti LuPone in GYPSY to do so, but it was more than worth it.
Well, that part's a bummer. LuPone was not my favorite Rose [[all her solos seemed rushed) but it was well worth seeing ... I would have made the same decision as you.

reese
07-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Well, that part's a bummer. LuPone was not my favorite Rose [[all her solos seemed rushed) but it was well worth seeing ... I would have made the same decision as you.

Believe me, there was no contest. As soon as the Apollo staff told us they couldn't fix the problem and to come back the next night, the decision was made.

But I did feel sorry for some folks. I heard of some fans who flew in especially for one night and couldn't stay over.

motony
07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
I don't ever remember Patti smoking, which is very rare for 60's singers as most did smoke in the 60's.

carlo
07-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Yes, unfortunately she has lost a lot of her vocal power and range in the last 5 years. She no longer has that upper chest voice that gave her that belting power she once had. Now she mostly relies on the upper head voice for the high notes. She can still certainly sing, it's just a different sound these days.

glencro
07-25-2017, 07:26 AM

I have to agree with you sansradio. I saw her last summer at an outdoor concert in downtown Detroit. She sang all of the songs slower and a few octaves lower. It was a very relaxed show. Not the shoe kicking, floor rolling, arms flapping Patti that I had witnessed in the late 90's and early 2000's. Of course she's in her 70's now. I'm not sure how she was feeling that day because she basically stood in one spot most of that show. I stopped paying to see Patti about 15 years ago because I was tired of her constantly reprimanding audience members every time I went to see her but I must say she did not disappoint back then. I also saw Gladys last summer. Now she still has the JUICE and more.