PDA

View Full Version : Madonna Calls Whitney Houston "Mediocre" in Letter to Be Auctioned

test

sansradio
07-13-2017, 04:19 PM
File under "What the ever-lovin' HELL?!???!!?"

http://thegrio.com/2017/07/13/madonna-slams-whitney-houston/

Jerry Oz
07-13-2017, 06:09 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/l0HlKNorSIDjNdCqk/giphy.gif

sansradio
07-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Jerry, you made me actually cackle!

I mean, really? Madonna couldn't hold Nip's slop jar vocally! Now, if she's talking from a Hollywood/acting standpoint, I could understand the sour grapes. I guess we have to consider the source.

marv2
07-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Madonna was no doubt joking. She could not have been that stupid. She would say something this insane once Whitney is no longer here to defend herself. Madonna knows full well that Whitney Houston is going down in history head and shoulders above all of them........!

Jerry Oz
07-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Madonna was no doubt joking. She could not have been that stupid. She would say something this insane once Whitney is no longer here to defend herself. Madonna knows full well that Whitney Houston is going down in history head and shoulders above all of them........!

It was written sometime in the '90s. Still doesn't excuse her drastically confused world view and ridiculously over inflated sense of self. This is like Pee Wee Herman complaining that Benedict Cumberbatch gets the roles that are rightly his.

PeaceNHarmony
07-14-2017, 09:33 AM
It's a personal letter so, therefore, whatever. I'd be surprised to hear if any of our beloved divas has never said something similar, if not worse, about another. We're all entitled to our opinions. And Madonna is still the #1 solo touring act, so far yielding 1.3 BILLION dollars in ticket sales. She may not be liked here, but the numbers and the longevity are irrefutable.

And remember: we're staying away from negative commentary

marv2
07-14-2017, 10:06 AM
It's a personal letter so, therefore, whatever. I'd be surprised to hear if any of our beloved divas has never said something similar, if not worse, about another. We're all entitled to our opinions. And Madonna is still the #1 solo touring act, so far yielding 1.3 BILLION dollars in ticket sales. She may not be liked here, but the numbers and the longevity are irrefutable.

I don't care what her numbers are. She is an egomaniacal asshole for even thinking she was better than the great Whitney Houston!

marv2
07-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Madonna's Uncle Gus, who was a friend of my brother was right about her!

PeaceNHarmony
07-14-2017, 01:03 PM
Sharon Stone's reply today:
Dear @madonna [[https://www.instagram.com/madonna/), First, I think it’s absurd that anyone is publishing your private letters. Therefore; I publish publicly. Know that I am your friend. I have wished to be a rock star in some private moments… have felt as mediocre as you described. We know, as only those who have survived so long that owning our own mediocrity is the only way to own our own strengths; to become all that we both have become. I love and adore you; won’t be pitted against you by any invasion of our personal journeys. Sharon

Jerry Oz
07-14-2017, 01:17 PM
I'll give her props for longevity. She's had great producers in her career and she got off to a good start; she was a cultural icon by her third record. I used to cash my checks and race to the record stores in the '80s. One of the stores I frequented was a DJ shop that sold sound equipment and mostly 12 inch records.

Madonna's first album sat on their shelves for two months before I bought it. I had no clue who she was or what kind of music was on it. I figured it must have been dance music or it would not have been in that store. I mainly bought it because nothing else was interesting that day and also because Jellybean Benitez produced it.

I took it home and I liked "Borderline" and "Holiday", but nothing on it stood out. It blew my mind about two or three weeks later when she got breakout star treatment on MTV and every song played on local radio. I never understood her appeal. And by the time that "Like A Virgin" became a hit, she was full-blown superstar.

I liked her less and less as time went on. I thought that she should have realized that her success has almost nothing to do with talent and been more appreciative of her opportunity. She was a bad singer and average dancer. Her management, producers, and publicists were the real stars. For her to be jealous is not surprising, but to talk about two superior talents as being mediocre in comparison to her was the height of hubris.

marv2
07-14-2017, 01:47 PM
I'll give her props for longevity. She's had great producers in her career and she got off to a good start; she was a cultural icon by her third record. I used to cash my checks and race to the record stores in the '80s. One of the stores I frequented was a DJ shop that sold sound equipment and mostly 12 inch records.

Madonna's first album sat on their shelves for two months before I bought it. I had no clue who she was or what kind of music was on it. I figured it must have been dance music or it would not have been in that store. I mainly bought it because nothing else was interesting that day and also because Jellybean Benitez produced it.

I took it home and I liked "Borderline" and "Holiday", but nothing on it stood out. It blew my mind about two or three weeks later when she got breakout star treatment on MTV and every song played on local radio. I never understood her appeal. And by the time that "Like A Virgin" became a hit, she was full-blown superstar.

I liked her less and less as time went on. I thought that she should have realized that her success has almost nothing to do with talent and been more appreciative of her opportunity. She was a bad singer and average dancer. Her management, producers, and publicists were the real stars. For her to be jealous is not surprising, but to talk about two superior talents as being mediocre in comparison to her was the height of hubris.

BAM! There you go Jerry!!!

Guy
07-14-2017, 05:33 PM
I think Madge was just blowing off steam. Her statements, made in confidence, showed her to be no more or less egomaniacal than any other star. I liked her early music a lot, all the way through "Bedtime Stories", but she lost me after that.

All I know is that if you had asked me in 1988 which of the big five of the 80s [[MJ, Prince, Whitney, George Michael and Madonna) would be the last man standing, I would NOT have guessed Madonna.

Jerry Oz
07-14-2017, 06:10 PM
Good point, Guy. As outrageous as I find the comments to be, the fact that I heard about them is an indictment of this horrible world wherein somebody is auctioning the letter and somebody jumped at the opportunity to embarrass her by publishing its contents. Part of the reason Trump is in office is the press's eagerness to print the unverified contents of stolen e-mails instead of treating them as ill-gotten goods. All that matters is ratings and scandal, not basic respect for privacy or adherence to morality.

sophisticated_soul
07-14-2017, 06:37 PM
The comments are outrageous, but that is what Madonna does and has done successfully for decades. This was a private letter that is now being used essentially as black mail. There are artists popular on SDF that I have no use for. But what value is there in telling people in public that I don't like their favorite artist? That's all about ego, not music, and it only causes rancor. However in private conversations and correspondence I feel very comfortable saying exactly how feel about said artists, and why that is my opinion. I can take or leave Madonna, but she is a survivor and I respect that.

Roberta75
07-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Madonna's Uncle Gus, who was a friend of my brother was right about her!

Madonnas personal dry cleaner Marissa who was a good friend of my aunt Clarice was right about her too. Maybe uncle Gus and Marissa and your brother and aunt Clarice should write a tellall.

Jerry Oz
07-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Madonnas personal dry cleaner Marissa who was a good friend of my aunt Clarice was right about her too. Maybe uncle Gus and Marissa and your brother and aunt Clarice should write a tellall.
Okay, I seriously laughed at this...
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6UB9ukFq0w2TonOo/giphy.gif

marv2
07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Okay, I seriously laughed at this...
https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6UB9ukFq0w2TonOo/giphy.gif

Uncle Gus is deceased now. Jerry, when you copy this idiot's postings, I have to see them. I have it on ignore and prefer to keep it block as it should be.

TomatoTom123
07-15-2017, 06:27 PM
Uncle Gus is deceased now. Jerry, when you copy this idiot's postings, I have to see them. I have it on ignore and prefer to keep it block as it should be.

Who is Uncle Gus??

marv2
07-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Who is Uncle Gus??

He was Madonna's mother's brother. He died about 2-3 years ago. Why?

Jerry Oz
07-15-2017, 09:08 PM

No disrespect was intended, Marv. But you told us that her Uncle Gus was right about her without anybody else knowing what he said. You have to admit that's super vague. The head scratching nature of the post is what made Roberta's dig funny.

I apologize if I was out of line.

marv2
07-15-2017, 09:21 PM
No disrespect was intended, Marv. But you told us that her Uncle Gus was right about her without anybody else knowing what he said. You have to admit that's super vague. The head scratching nature of the post is what made Roberta's dig funny.

I apologize if I was out of line.

You're not out of line Jerry, you're my buddy! Gus, who would say that his niece, Madonna always had a very high opinion of herself [[he used stronger words....). She also use to borrow money from him and never pay him back!

I remember Madonna before she became nationally known. She appeared on our local TV dance show in Detroit called "The Scene". I was back home on a break from school I believe when I caught her on the show. We all thought she was just this strange chick rolling around on the floor with long pieces of yarn in her hair and some kind of funky, homemade clothing. I can't remember the song ,it may have been"Everybody Get Up and Do Your Thing". I did not think about her anymore after that but a little over a year later she exploded with "Holiday" and became really famous.

marv2
07-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Patti Lupone on Madonna:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/madonna-slams-whitney-houston-in-neverbeforeseen-letter/news-story/9efb64245e532ce0666a3b926e216dad

Roberta75
07-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Who is Uncle Gus??

Marv2 claims madonnas late uncle Gus was a friend of his brother but per usual it never gives us much more than a snippett of information thats probably as accurate as Mary Wilson being nominated for a Grammy which it reported last November.

RIP Uncle Gus and thank you for taking Madonna ciccones secrets with you.

Roberta75
07-16-2017, 03:24 AM
Patti Lupone on Madonna:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/madonna-slams-whitney-houston-in-neverbeforeseen-letter/news-story/9efb64245e532ce0666a3b926e216dad

Wow thanks for sharing you sure know all the divas dish.

TomatoTom123
07-16-2017, 06:52 AM
He was Madonna's mother's brother. He died about 2-3 years ago. Why?

I didn't know who he was. And I couldn't find anything about him online.

That post was pretty vague, Marv, lol

marv2
07-16-2017, 01:07 PM
I didn't know who he was. And I couldn't find anything about him online.

That post was pretty vague, Marv, lol

I clearly wrote that he was Madonna's uncle. You are not suppose to know him personally being you do not live in Michigan. He was not a celebrity. My post was not vague and it really was not complicated or controversial until you guys made it appear that way.

TomatoTom123
07-16-2017, 06:17 PM
I clearly wrote that he was Madonna's uncle. You are not suppose to know him personally being you do not live in Michigan. He was not a celebrity. My post was not vague and it really was not complicated or controversial until you guys made it appear that way.

Hey Marv, I thought that maybe I should know who Uncle Gus was as you just sorta name dropped him.

The thing is... I don't who Uncle Gus is, I don't know what he said or thought about Madonna, I don't know what he was 'right about'... can you see how your post made no sense to me? Lol :)

marv2
07-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Hey Marv, I thought that maybe I should know who Uncle Gus was as you just sorta name dropped him.

The thing is... I don't who Uncle Gus is, I don't know what he said or thought about Madonna, I don't know what he was 'right about'... can you see how your post made no sense to me? Lol :)

Whatever..........LOL!!!

nativeNY63
06-25-2019, 04:37 PM

That's why they're called divas in the first place. Think: Beyonce vs. Etta James, Jennifer Holliday vs. JHud. I rest my case.

nativeNY63
06-25-2019, 04:43 PM

I with you Jerry. And Madge has to reinvent herself because of her deficits! Her entire career, to-date is based on overproduced hooks. [[I'm looking at you Janet. Ciara.) Her latest album drop is titled Madame X!! Huhhn?! What does that even mean?

arr&bee
06-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..i betcha that wherever[uncle gus]is he's laughing his ass off at all this attention!!