PDA

View Full Version : The Vinyl Comeback

test

lakeside
07-12-2017, 10:17 AM
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/a-record-comeback-the-audiophile-fueled-resurgence-of-vinyl?utm_source=Taboola&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

antceleb12
07-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the fascinating read! i CANNOT GET PAST THIS, THOUGH...

Urban Outfitters claims to be the world's largest brick-and-mortar retailer of vinyl.

I really loathe the fact that many young people are buying their vinyl from UO. Many reasons, including:

1) UO is a terribly unethical company that rips off and steals their clothing designs from actual artists
2) Their vinyl is WAY overpriced
3) Largely the new vinyl they carry is of inferior quality [[if a store sells Crosley, RUN!)

And simply...TRUE record stores - the shops that buy and sell used records - are where the magic happens. There is nothing more bland than walking into a Barnes & Noble or UO and picking out an expensive reissue of record that's just a dime in a dozen when you can go into a mom-and-pop shop and find a used copy for a large fraction of the price and get something that has history!

Sorry for the rant...

marv2
07-12-2017, 09:09 PM
http://www.coca-colacompany.com/stories/a-record-comeback-the-audiophile-fueled-resurgence-of-vinyl?utm_source=Taboola&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Lakeside, you've made my day with this. I loved vinyl. There is even a new pressing plant operating in Metro Detroit.

phil
07-13-2017, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;398759 I loved vinyl. There is even a new pressing plant operating in Metro Detroit.[/QUOTE]

Marv, you don't love it no more ? Personnally I listen mostly to music from my vinyl collection, I don't like CD's and I hate MP3 !

marv2
07-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Marv, you don't love it no more ? Personnally I listen mostly to music from my vinyl collection, I don't like CD's and I hate MP3 !

Phil, Philip, Sir! LOL!!! Of course I still love vinyl. I thought my World was coming to an end in the late 80s and 90s when CDs took over. I bought 1/10th of the music on CD than I use to on vinyl. I welcome it's return and let's do what we can to keep it here to stay!

phil
07-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Glad to hear it marv ! :)

The latest vinyl that I bought is the FAN-TAS-TIC Don Bryant LP, highly recommended ! We previously talked about it and you can listen the full album :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEzhf3LbMY

TomatoTom123
07-14-2017, 07:31 PM

Hi Phil, can I ask, why don't you like CDs or MP3? Why is vinyl so much better? :)

jsmith
07-15-2017, 06:21 AM
mp3's are rubbish ... if my computer crashes or I upgrade to a newer machine, I can't even be bothered to transfer any mp3's & so lose them.
So, if I can't touch it [[vinyl or CD), then I'm not interested ... most [[95%) of mp3's I get anyway are freebies given by artist's reps or the likes of Amazon, I don't buy hardly any at all. AND AS FOR the likes of SPOTIFY, don't even get me going there.

phil
07-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Hi Phil, can I ask, why don't you like CDs or MP3? Why is vinyl so much better? :)

Hi tom, there are plenty of reasons : I know that with today's technology CD's sound great but on my modest equipment vinyl is much warmer andpresent. I'd even say more human

Esthaetically, there no comparison : the CD's are just a piece of...plastic [[LOL) when LP's' covers are beautiful, with gatefolds, posters, and, most important readable liners.
And the smell : did you smell inside your old albums -if you have some- ? Cardboard from the 60's have some pretty good smell, everybody knows this. Fetichism ? No, just passion.

About the MP3' I totally agree with jsmith. Well, maybe I'm old-fashioned but I'm happy like this ! :)

sansradio
07-15-2017, 03:45 PM
mp3's are rubbish ... if my computer crashes or I upgrade to a newer machine, I can't even be bothered to transfer any mp3's & so lose them.
So, if I can't touch it [[vinyl or CD), then I'm not interested ... most [[95%) of mp3's I get anyway are freebies given by artist's reps or the likes of Amazon, I don't buy hardly any at all. AND AS FOR the likes of SPOTIFY, don't even get me going there.

The trick with mp3s is to download them to an external hard drive.

TomatoTom123
07-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Hi tom, there are plenty of reasons : I know that with today's technology CD's sound great but on my modest equipment vinyl is much warmer andpresent. I'd even say more human

Esthaetically, there no comparison : the CD's are just a piece of...plastic [[LOL) when LP's' covers are beautiful, with gatefolds, posters, and, most important readable liners.
And the smell : did you smell inside your old albums -if you have some- ? Cardboard from the 60's have some pretty good smell, everybody knows this. Fetichism ? No, just passion.

About the MP3' I totally agree with jsmith. Well, maybe I'm old-fashioned but I'm happy like this ! :)

Hey Phil, thanks for explaining. I get that.

I don't have any vinyl myself so can't really compare, but I definitely understand why you like it. I have seen and felt LPs before though and they do look nice and it's cool to read the liner notes. I have never smelled the inside of an album cover I have to say though, lol

The only thing I would say is that vinyl seems quite impractical and takes up so much space? Also, can you move the stuff about very easily? :)

Hmm, when it comes to MP3 I just love the fact that you can have thousands of songs on one little iPod, smaller than the palm of your hand, mobile and accessible.

RichyP
07-22-2017, 10:25 AM
It was 1986, I was happily playing my vinyl albums on a consumer Sanyo record and cassette deck and converting to tape to play in the car.

A life long friend paid a visit one evening and he had just got a CD player. He extolled all the virtues of CDs and convinced me to replace my perfectly serviceable set-up
Several weeks later I had purchased, at 4 times my budget, a prosumer Technics seperates system along with a nice oak sleeve to accomodate them. The wife was happy, she wouldn't have been, if she'd known about the budget. I bought a couple of the Compact Command Performances CDs, and it was OK altho' I was not over impressed.

My friend turned up again, he said it was OK, but I was doing it all wrong, and promised to return the next evening to set it up for me, which he did
He seperated the speakers and the CD deck from the sleeve and placed them on the floor [[the wifes' eyes rolled) he set the speakers apart and measured the distance between them, then set out an imaginary equilateral triangle and placed one of our hard backed dining chairs at the apex. He told me to sit, he produced a copy of Randy Crawfords Almaz, and played it, pointing out all the little nuances that he said were missing from a vinyl copy.
I was a little more impressed, but not as enthused as I should have been obviously as he ousted me from the chair, sat there himself and listened.
He dispensed with the chair and sat on the floor, and said try that.
I did, and showed great enthusiasm, I should have been an actor,
He went home happy, after telling me I should get some spikes for my speakers, and only buy CDs with a DDD designation on the back, none of which I did.
I still have the Technics tho' the turntable drive belt has perished, I have to leave a CD in the draw or it won't open.

I now listen to all my music on MP3!! in the car or on Youtube

I still have around 700 vinyl albums 200 singles and 400 CDs, mostly AAD

The vinyl albums I bought in the mid 60s were solid items, you know, when handled as per the instructions on the inner sleeve, thumb on the edge index finger in the spindle hole they were rigid, the last ones I bought in the mid 80s if you did the same, they drooped like a piece of cling film, I exaggerate of course, but only to make the point.