PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Lewis retires

test

luke
07-10-2017, 12:20 AM
https://www.villages-news.com/rocky-rollers-put-spirited-sendoff-singer-barbara-lewis/ I love this singer.

marv2
07-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Barbara made some really great songs.

Motown Eddie
07-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Thanks for sharing the news Luke. I'm sorry to read that Barbara Lewis is retiring from performing due to health issues but I hope she'll still be with us for a long time to come [[and yes Marv2, she made some truly great songs).

luke
07-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Your welcome ME. Her voice is just magical..haunting to this day.. and she wrote the brilliant Hello Stranger. She said not singing feels like a death. I pray she can accept it. Very tough!

marv2
07-10-2017, 05:32 PM
BTW, Barbara is another great talent from the State of Michigan.......Ann Arbor area!

marv2
07-10-2017, 05:37 PM
If she never does anything else, she will always be remembered for this classic [[backed up by The Dells):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Y1O9eVKRs

TomatoTom123
07-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Not familiar with Barbara at all so will have to seek out her material and give it a good listen. :)

Ozmo
07-10-2017, 09:04 PM
Not familiar with Barbara at all so will have to seek out her material and give it a good listen. :)

She is well worth seeking out. Had some great records in her time. Best wishes to Barbara Lewis and thanks for all the music that we continue to enjoy.

luke
07-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Tom hurry on up now and listen to Hello Stranger at least 5 times. Then Make me your Baby, Baby I'm Yours... yes Marv she sure is a Michigan gal!

marv2
07-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Tom hurry on up now and listen to Hello Stranger at least 5 times. Then Make me your Baby, Baby I'm Yours... yes Marv she sure is a Michigan gal!

Her music was played so often on local stations when I was growing, I assumed everyone in the World was enjoying her music too.

luke
07-10-2017, 11:32 PM
She should have been a Major star!

MIKEW-UK
07-11-2017, 12:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17pOE3qA0ww&feature=youtu.beAsk The Lonely. Barbara's version is the definitive female recording of the Four Tops classic.

MIKEW-UK
07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ART1lsgaDG8&feature=youtu.beThe Stars. A mighty performance by Barbara.

luke
07-11-2017, 02:17 PM
No Marter what sign you are!!

luke
07-11-2017, 02:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XSa0EH0LiGk What a voice and talent!

marv2
07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Great singers like Barbara Lewis. I wished there were a way we could let her know how much we appreciated her music. I can imagine she does not hear that hardly enough.

marv2
07-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Barbara Lewis - Baby I'm Yours - 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7O-UOwdH5g

marv2
07-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Barbara Lewis - Make Me Your Baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adFbYZlmBUs

marv2
07-11-2017, 08:19 PM
There was so much competition in those days. So, so many great singers that you had to be great to get a record played on the radio. To have had several songs make it, you were in the "excellent" category. Love Barbara Lewis!

luke
07-11-2017, 09:35 PM
So true Marv. I was thinking same thing about Lettin g her know . She said she still hears from fans all over the world and how much it means s to her. I wonder if Atlantic records would forward mail to her?

Ozmo
07-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Great singers like Barbara Lewis. I wished there were a way we could let her know how much we appreciated her music. I can imagine she does not hear that hardly enough.

Totally agree. Hopefully one of her friends or colleagues can draw her attwntion to this posting.

marv2
07-11-2017, 10:35 PM
So true Marv. I was thinking same thing about Lettin g her know . She said she still hears from fans all over the world and how much it means s to her. I wonder if Atlantic records would forward mail to her?

I am going to search for an internet contact or email address for her. If I succeed, I'll share it here. She should know we appreciate her musical legacy.

luke
07-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Great thanks. She did thank a guy specifically in article I posted

marv2
07-11-2017, 11:10 PM
Totally agree. Hopefully one of her friends or colleagues can draw her attwntion to this posting.

I hope you are right Ozmo.

rrussi
07-17-2017, 07:30 AM
I have known Barbara for many years! I was at her final performance in the Villages, FL with the Tokens, La La Brooks, and Brian Hyland on March 31st, 2017. When I speak to her again, as she lives a few miles from me, I'll let her know about this forum. I don't know how much she accesses the internet, but will let her know. We used to hang out sometimes and go to different shows. I remember one time we went to a small club in Orlando to see Clarence Carter. She's a nice person! As for her talent, her voice is so crystal clear with perfect diction. Maybe some of her lps will be remastered and reissued on CD, such as "It's Magic".

marv2
07-17-2017, 08:27 AM
I have known Barbara for many years! I was at her final performance in the Villages, FL with the Tokens, La La Brooks, and Brian Hyland on March 31st, 2017. When I speak to her again, as she lives a few miles from me, I'll let her know about this forum. I don't know how much she accesses the internet, but will let her know. We used to hang out sometimes and go to different shows. I remember one time we went to a small club in Orlando to see Clarence Carter. She's a nice person! As for her talent, her voice is so crystal clear with perfect diction. Maybe some of her lps will be remastered and reissued on CD, such as "It's Magic".

Tell her how much we appreciate her and love her music. Also try to persuade her to at least consider doing special shows from time to time. Thanks! Marv

snakepit
07-17-2017, 08:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYyzwy1u0vk

marv2
07-17-2017, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYyzwy1u0vk

A very nice song and recording. Thank you Snakepit!

Ozmo
07-17-2017, 11:41 PM

That would be great rrussi if you are able to pass on our good wishes in person to Barbara. I live in Australia, so please let her know that she has fans all over the world who still play and appreciate her music.

platters81
07-25-2017, 04:27 AM
i have the sheet music to "dont forget about me" on the wall behind my pc...........every day barbara is there smiling at me :)

marv2
07-25-2017, 10:27 PM
i have the sheet music to "dont forget about me" on the wall behind my pc...........every day barbara is there smiling at me :)

That is amazing! LOL! Barbara really did make an impact probably more than she knows.

144man
07-28-2017, 02:11 PM

Playing this now. I forgot how good this Goffin-King song is.

vgalindo
07-30-2017, 12:10 AM
Love Barbara Lewis music. "Hello Stranger". One of my all time favorites.

platters81
07-30-2017, 07:44 AM
heres a jukebox ep which i have

platters81
08-03-2017, 04:39 AM
and here it is...13359

Rich47
09-26-2019, 11:08 AM
I remember back in the old school days, when I would curl up on a seat way in the back of the school bus. My little transistor radio pressed to my ear, listening to all the great music of the day while on the ride home from school. On Saturdays take my hard earned part time job money and buy some precious 45rpm records and play the grooves off of them. Those were the days when the music wasn't just good, it was great! Among the many greats was Barbara Lewis with an amazing voice that blows away all of her competition then. So many great songs! "Make Me Your Baby" jumps out as a really emotionally charged song. They don't write them or sing them like this anymore! I read here that she may be reading threads here–– cool! If so I want her to know how her music touched me in my youth as just magical. Actually, now in my seventh decade– it still does!

marv2
09-26-2019, 03:27 PM
I remember back in the old school days, when I would curl up on a seat way in the back of the school bus. My little transistor radio pressed to my ear, listening to all the great music of the day while on the ride home from school. On Saturdays take my hard earned part time job money and buy some precious 45rpm records and play the grooves off of them. Those were the days when the music wasn't just good, it was great! Among the many greats was Barbara Lewis with an amazing voice that blows away all of her competition then. So many great songs! "Make Me Your Baby" jumps out as a really emotionally charged song. They don't write them or sing them like this anymore! I read here that she may be reading threads here–– cool! If so I want her to know how her music touched me in my youth as just magical. Actually, now in my seventh decade– it still does!

Wow Rich, those are some great memories and welcome to SDF!