PDA

View Full Version : The Originals' Fantasy Albums

test

TomatoTom123
07-06-2017, 08:02 PM
The Originals recorded two albums for Fantasy Records in the late 1970s, Another Time, Another Place and Come Away With Me, both marvellous Modern Soul and Disco type stuff... which I love... but don't own!

You see, I believe the two LPs have been reissued as a double CD [[way back in 1993) but it's current price is something like £40! Does anyone have the CD? What's it like? How's the sound quality?

Also, does anyone have the original vinyl of the album? What did/do you think of it?

marv2
07-06-2017, 08:25 PM
I don't think I've ever heard either of those albums. hmmmmm.....

Boogiedown
07-06-2017, 11:10 PM
I was familiar with the 12" of BLUE MOON but remakes of old classics and standards done in a hustle style were kind of passe by 1979 so I wasn't drawn to the accompanying album .

This is the album version , I remember the 12" as quite different without that long intro . Its been years though !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96LI8xLMXjc

marv2
07-06-2017, 11:32 PM
I was familiar with the 12" of BLUE MOON but remakes of old classics and standards done in a hustle style were kind of passe by 1979 so I wasn't drawn to the accompanying album .

This is the album version , I remember the 12" as quite different without that long intro . Its been years though !

I agree. I remember when some big band songs were updated as Disco records.

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 03:24 AM
J-E-A-L-O-U-S... means I love this... and I'm crazy about it baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvT2aEv2260&app=desktop

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 03:25 AM
I don't think I've ever heard either of those albums. hmmmmm.....

Hey Marv, I don't blame you! These albums were post-Motown and didn't have any hits on 'em so probably didn't do much. :)

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 03:28 AM
"while the cat's away... we're gonna boogie 'til the break of day!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaILoiw97Y

LOVE IT

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 04:01 AM
"we're temporarily out of order
just like the clouds
even they run out of water"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhazKShcJQ&app=desktop

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 04:04 AM

I was reluctant to listen to that for fear of it being a slapdash disco remake of a standard but, wow, I like it.

FUNkkaaaayy!

McMotown
07-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Hey Boogiedown and Tom thanks for posting those Originals tracks, I've always loved The Originals

TomatoTom123
10-15-2017, 08:42 PM

I was reluctant to listen to that for fear of it being a slapdash disco remake of a standard but, wow, I like it.

FUNkkaaaayy!

Been digging this one all day today :)

TomatoTom123
10-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Mmmhmm... rare groovy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIzvzGGM8cI&app=desktop

longtimefan
10-15-2017, 08:56 PM
1981 Phase II Records

Bluebrock
10-16-2017, 02:56 AM
The Originals recorded two albums for Fantasy Records in the late 1970s, Another Time, Another Place and Come Away With Me, both marvellous Modern Soul and Disco type stuff... which I love... but don't own!

You see, I believe the two LPs have been reissued as a double CD [[way back in 1993) but it's current price is something like £40! Does anyone have the CD? What's it like? How's the sound quality?

Also, does anyone have the original vinyl of the album? What did/do you think of it?
I have this cd. I bought it around 15 years ago. I haven;t played it in years so i need to give it a spin for sure. I don't recall being disappointed with the mastering, and the albums themselves are a decent representation of the era. Great vocals of course, and well produced but commercial failures as i recall. I didn't pay much for it so i guess i got myself a bit of a bargain Tom!

TomatoTom123
10-16-2017, 12:05 PM
I have this cd. I bought it around 15 years ago. I haven;t played it in years so i need to give it a spin for sure. I don't recall being disappointed with the mastering, and the albums themselves are a decent representation of the era. Great vocals of course, and well produced but commercial failures as i recall. I didn't pay much for it so i guess i got myself a bit of a bargain Tom!

Hey Bluebrock, thanks for the reply. Yes the second album in particular is very much Disco but I really love it. And yea I guess you did get a bargain! :D

mysterysinger
10-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Well it might be a double album CD but 14 tracks in total is a bit mean.

144man
10-17-2017, 12:03 PM
I bought the first album but didn't like it enough to buy the second.

jaybs
10-18-2017, 06:42 AM
I purchased it on the 2 albums on 1 CD, and was so disappointed, hardly ever play it, not The Originals I always loved!

TomatoTom123
10-22-2017, 09:10 PM
I purchased it on the 2 albums on 1 CD, and was so disappointed, hardly ever play it, not The Originals I always loved!

Hey jaybs, what do you mean by that? The albums are quite Disco but The Originals are still in top form and the vocals are great IMO. Maybe it’s lacking those killer Marvin Gaye ballads or the Funk Brothers for ya? Just curious :)

jbpintus
10-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Hey jaybs, what do you mean by that? The albums are quite Disco but The Originals are still in top form and the vocals are great IMO. Maybe it’s lacking those killer Marvin Gaye ballads or the Funk Brothers for ya? Just curious :)

Hmmm... Jack Ashford and Robert White are two of the players on the "COME AWAY WITH ME" album from 1979. Album produced, btw, by a certain Henry Cosby...

JB

TomatoTom123
10-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Hmmm... Jack Ashford and Robert White are two of the players on the "COME AWAY WITH ME" album from 1979. Album produced, btw, by a certain Henry Cosby...

JB

Hey JB, indeed Come Away With Me was a very interesting album... as you say Henry Cosby was the executive producer, but also McKinley Jackson produced and arranged, Lamont Dozier wrote a couple of songs, and even Gene Page gets a writing credit. It also features five Originals, meaning C.P. Spencer and Ty Hunter are on the same album together! Henry I believe is credited for bringing the group all back together. :)

gman
10-31-2017, 12:42 AM
It wasn't only big band hits...I loved Brazil by the Ritchie Family...and it didn't stop there...we had Disco Lucy *I Love Lucy Theme" and Lynda Lawrence and her husband Trevor were on that one....seems like every pop standard got remade [[More, How High The Moon) and original songs were even rerecorded by the original artists in Disco-fied glory...I even made a mixed CD strictly of Supremes covers done disco...no shortage there. I had the Originals Fantasy 12" single Waiting For a Letter/Please Mr. Postman...its most likely still somewhere on my 12" storage wall

gman
10-31-2017, 12:51 AM
and I love the 2 duets done with Jean Scherrie and Lynda for Motorcity...Jean was a bit shrill here, but I'm Gonna Make You Love Me was very good, and Back By Popular Demand was one of the most hit worthy tracks I heard from the entire Motorcity catalogue that I am familiar with...I loved the 12" version of Back...it is my all time favorite Ian Levine Motorcity production...every girl gets a turn at a lead spot...I am not that familiar with the overall sound of the Originals, but there are at least 3 male voices heard on lead I think...

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
It wasn't only big band hits...I loved Brazil by the Ritchie Family...and it didn't stop there...we had Disco Lucy *I Love Lucy Theme" and Lynda Lawrence and her husband Trevor were on that one....seems like every pop standard got remade [[More, How High The Moon) and original songs were even rerecorded by the original artists in Disco-fied glory...I even made a mixed CD strictly of Supremes covers done disco...no shortage there. I had the Originals Fantasy 12" single Waiting For a Letter/Please Mr. Postman...its most likely still somewhere on my 12" storage wall

Hey gman, I’ve checked out their remake of “Please Mr. Postman” [[which of course Original Freddie Gorman co-wrote!) and remember it being excellent... and rather funky too :)

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:14 PM
and I love the 2 duets done with Jean Scherrie and Lynda for Motorcity...Jean was a bit shrill here, but I'm Gonna Make You Love Me was very good, and Back By Popular Demand was one of the most hit worthy tracks I heard from the entire Motorcity catalogue that I am familiar with...I loved the 12" version of Back...it is my all time favorite Ian Levine Motorcity production...every girl gets a turn at a lead spot...I am not that familiar with the overall sound of the Originals, but there are at least 3 male voices heard on lead I think...

Oh gman I completely agree! I LOVE "Back By Popular Demand" so much! Love how they trade vocals as you say. I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think you’re right about the three Originals voices... I think it’s Freddie Gorman, Hank Dixon and Walter Gaines that can be heard but I’m not sure. I’ll check :)

TomatoTom123
11-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Oh gman I completely agree! I LOVE "Back By Popular Demand" so much! Love how they trade vocals as you say. I can’t remember off the top of my head but I think you’re right about the three Originals voices... I think it’s Freddie Gorman, Hank Dixon and Walter Gaines that can be heard but I’m not sure. I’ll check :)

Just gave it a listen and I think it might even be all four Originals... Hank Dixon and C.P. Spencer are definitely there... I’m not sure if Freddie Gorman and Walter Gaines are the same voice or two different voices... anyway, great song :)

heikki
11-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Hi Tom!

You're correct, according to Freddie Gorman it's he, C.P., Hank and Walter with those three ladies on "Back by Popular Demand."

Best regards
Heikki

TomatoTom123
11-02-2017, 10:21 AM
Hi Tom!

You're correct, according to Freddie Gorman it's he, C.P., Hank and Walter with those three ladies on "Back by Popular Demand."

Best regards
Heikki

Ahh, thanks Heikki! I believe it’s Freddie at the very beginning, then Hank, and C.P. last... and Walter does the high “in my arms, again!” bit. They’re all in great voice!!! Scherrie is also fantastic. :D

gman
11-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I think this duet above anything else recorded at the time stood the best chance of re-introducing the "Supremes" to MOR/Pop radio....there were other songs that may have done well in the smaller club market, but this one had the big "Pop" appeal....Perhaps the entire Motorcity project was so in the red by this point there wasn't enough $$$ or faith left to make a video and push the recording and distribute it on a broader scale. The entire UK/Detroit project must have been a huge expense just in getting everyone who needed to be involved maintained in one location and that should be taken into consideration when people make notice that the background music often was electronically programmed....Cost wise, it probably came down to that method or trimming the roster way down...Although the talent involved was undisputable, and somewhat familiar to fans name wise [[and at one time pretty dependable and agreeable) much time had passed and tastes changed and it was in all honesty a risky business investment. One huge, solid broad market hit could have drawn a lot of interest to the entire project.