PDA

View Full Version : Motown on TV in the 60's

test

theboyfromxtown
07-06-2017, 02:02 PM
We have been treated to some incredible TV performances over the past year or so. Roostertail performances in particular seem to be highly thought of.

For all you guys who saw the Motown acts perform on TV in those vintage years, are there any TV performances that you remember that you are still hoping to see again.

Did the Supremes sing Lovelight, Where Did Our Love Go...or the Vandellas In My Lonely Room, Quicksand....and the list goes on

copley
07-06-2017, 02:52 PM
I'd love to see the Marvelettes performing 'Hunter', 'Magician' 'Danger' & 'I'll Keep Holding On' :)

marv2
07-06-2017, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see Gladys Knight & the Pips performing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" on the Bob Hope Show from Vietnam from late 1967.

Bluebrock
07-06-2017, 03:05 PM
I would like to see one of the Supremes performances of "nathan jones". I know this is the 70's so i am not taking too many liberties.

blackguy69
07-06-2017, 04:14 PM
I would like to see one of the Supremes performances of "nathan jones". I know this is the 70's so i am not taking too many liberties.

At the least the audio from the johnny Carson show did surface. Not sure if the actual video exists

dickiemint
07-06-2017, 04:34 PM
The Supremes did Lovelight on the TAMI show didn't they

nathanj06
07-07-2017, 11:03 AM
The footage to The Supremes on the Tonight Show with host Joe Namath in early June 1971 has long been destroyed but I did stay up to see it...46 years ago. I always wanted to see them lip-sync it just because the recording was so fantastic. I've heard they performed it on a Cilla Black show but I don't know if it was live or lip. I don't know why they didn't appear but once on Ed Sullivan who was still on the air until Sept. 1971 but his ratings were dropping and tv was changing. [[I think he may not have let them perform Stoned Love though...calling Jean Morrison...

Levi Stubbs Tears
07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
The Supremes did Lovelight on the TAMI show didn't they
Yep - it kicked off their medley followed by Run Run Run, Baby Love & Where Did our Love Go.

I think one of their compilation DVDs also had a performance of Lovelight [[from Dutch TV maybe?) along with Let Me Go The Right Way.

I would still like to see a DVD quality copy of the Ready-Steady-Go 'Sounds of Motown' special released someday [[I have the original VHS still of course).

Bluebrock
07-08-2017, 02:31 AM
They performed it live on the Cilla Black show in the UK. The footage is believed to still exist. My friend has been trying to locate it for around 2 years. They also performed another song on the show but i cannot recall it at the moment. I was only just getting into my Motown at this time, but i vaguely recall watching it with my friend and his elder brother who was a big Supremes fan.Hopefully we will be able to post the footage soon.

Motown Eddie
07-11-2017, 10:26 AM
I would love to see the TCB Special with Diana Ross & the Supremes & The Temptations again. While I have seen them many times on television [[on various shows), this show was a landmark. It NEEDS to come out on DVD [[along with the RSG Special, The Sounds of Motown).

sansradio
07-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Here you go, Motown Eddie [[hope you can see it wherever you are):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBAeq_mFXA

antceleb12
07-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Is there ANY existing television footage of the Marvelettes performing live? There's the Apollo footage and that seems to be about it...everything else seems to be lip synced.

TomatoTom123
07-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Do you think any recordings of The Monitors performing in the '60s exists? They recorded some absolutely amazing stuff and even had a minor hit yet there seems to be no footage of them performing at all. I'd luuurve to see some ;)

reese
07-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Is there ANY existing television footage of the Marvelettes performing live? There's the Apollo footage and that seems to be about it...everything else seems to be lip synced.

They sang live to track when they performed DON'T MESS WITH BILL on HULLABALOO.

marv2
07-12-2017, 07:55 PM

There's footage of them on "Swingin' Time" a local Canadian dance show out of Windsor Ontario.

woodward
07-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Does anyone know of any ELGINS footage available for viewing?

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know of any ELGINS footage available for viewing?

Also from CKLW's "Swingin' Time" they are all on Youtube. I can post them later here if you like.

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTgd4fQo5c

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhumAMG7ZPk

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwhk0O_tnE

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0eoi0yucJs&list=PLugPaNY2f8c3xIME1B_OUc9dMRcBNt67S

marv2
07-12-2017, 08:45 PM
These are all from Swingin' Time a local show I use to watch on Channel 9 Windsor CKLW.

antceleb12
07-12-2017, 10:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwhk0O_tnE

Ah! Thanks for this. I had forgotten all about it!

antceleb12
07-12-2017, 10:32 PM
They sang live to track when they performed DON'T MESS WITH BILL on HULLABALOO.

I thought that may have been the case. It was hard to tell because the backing track was studio, but there was no Andantes!

woodward
07-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Also from CKLW's "Swingin' Time" they are all on Youtube. I can post them later here if you like.

You're the main man. Thank you for providing these shows. I will watch each and every one. The Elgins were a great group that never reached the popularity that they should have. Thanks.

Motown Eddie
07-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Here you go, Motown Eddie [[hope you can see it wherever you are):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXBAeq_mFXA

Thanks a lot Sansradio! Seeing this again really brought back memories. I still feel that TCB [[and the other Supremes & Temptations Special, On Broadway) should be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Motown Eddie
07-14-2017, 06:33 AM
There are a lot of great TV performances from Motown's artists in the '60s. I would love for UMe to get back to the 'Definitive Performances' DVD series that they launched year ago [[with new entries from Martha & the Vandellas, The Marvelettes, The Jackson 5 and others).

sansradio
07-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Thanks a lot Sansradio! Seeing this again really brought back memories. I still feel that TCB [[and the other Supremes & Temptations Special, On Broadway) should be released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Anytime, Motown Eddie!

I, like others here, own bootlegs of the two Diana/Sups/Tempts specials [[as well as things like Goin' Back to Indiana and Diana! [1971]). What else are us diehards supposed to do [[especially since YouTube tends to zap them so regularly)? Of course, you're absolutely right that all of the above and more deserve aboveground releases, but, in the meantime, I have no compunction about "making do."

marv2
07-14-2017, 01:43 PM
I would like to see a clean copy [[without the tracking numbers) of the Smokey Robinson Special.

biggestfourtops fan
07-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Wonder if the four tops ever did YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE or WHAT IS A MAN live.

marv2
07-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Wonder if the four tops ever did YESTERDAY'S DREAMS, I'M IN A DIFFERENT WORLD, WITHOUT THE ONE YOU LOVE or WHAT IS A MAN live.

They appeared on the Mike Douglas Show around that time, so maybe.

biggestfourtops fan
07-14-2017, 05:48 PM
They appeared on the Mike Douglas Show around that time, so maybe.
That'd be a dream come true to see that.

jsmith
07-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Motown stars appeared on most local / syndicated TV music shows back in the 60's ... Upbeat, the Beat, Buddy Deane Show, Kerby Scott Show + many, many more.

motown01
07-16-2017, 09:00 PM
A friend of mine, Ila Vann, performed on Upbeat in the 60's. I contacted the owners of the masters to see if her performance still existed. Unfortunately, most of the tapes were re-used and taped over, erasing the original shows.

marv2
07-16-2017, 09:04 PM
A friend of mine, Ila Vann, performed on Upbeat in the 60's. I contacted the owners of the masters to see if her performance still existed. Unfortunately, most of the tapes were re-used and taped over, erasing the original shows.

I use to do that too with my own private VHS tapes back in the 80s. I stopped taping over things though around 87' and keep the rest in storage. I hate to think about all the great, now historic performances that have gotten lost because of the practice.

marv2
07-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Motown stars appeared on most local / syndicated TV music shows back in the 60's ... Upbeat, the Beat, Buddy Deane Show, Kerby Scott Show + many, many more.

Great pictures JSmith and thank you for sharing them!

greg jones
07-16-2017, 11:19 PM
The footage to The Supremes on the Tonight Show with host Joe Namath in early June 1971 has long been destroyed but I did stay up to see it...46 years ago. I always wanted to see them lip-sync it just because the recording was so fantastic. I've heard they performed it on a Cilla Black show but I don't know if it was live or lip. I don't know why they didn't appear but once on Ed Sullivan who was still on the air until Sept. 1971 but his ratings were dropping and tv was changing. [[I think he may not have let them perform Stoned Love though...calling Jean Morrison...

The Ed Sullivan Show may have been on the air until early September, 1971, however television seasons usually ended Memorial Day weekend the end of May and summer was always repeat episodes. I'm also not sure how many weeks ahead that the Sullivan show taped, which probably means that there wasn't time enough to get them on for Nathan Jones. Having a feeling that Sullivan declined Stoned Love based on the connotations.

marv2
07-16-2017, 11:24 PM
The Ed Sullivan Show may have been on the air until early September, 1971, however television seasons usually ended Memorial Day weekend the end of May and summer was always repeat episodes. I'm also not sure how many weeks ahead that the Sullivan show taped, which probably means that there wasn't time enough to get them on for Nathan Jones. Having a feeling that Sullivan declined Stoned Love based on the connotations.

I remember in the year leading up to the cancellation of the Ed Sullivan Show that we all kind of considered it "square tv" LOL! I mean, we had all grown up in the 60s [[and 50s) watching it every Sunday night with your Mom and Dad and family. It just wasn't cool anymore with the Broadway performers, Vegas comedians, animal acts and assorted musical acts by 1970.

jsmith
07-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Baltimore TV ... July 67 ...