PDA

View Full Version : Laura Nyro meets Labelle

test

PeaceNHarmony
07-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Listening to the other-worldly 'Gonna Take A Miracle' lp and awestruck once again. Not much info about these sessions; anybody know anything?

Ozmo
07-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Listening to the other-worldly 'Gonna Take A Miracle' lp and awestruck once again. Not much info about these sessions; anybody know anything?

Patti Labelle wrote in her autobiography 'Don't Block The Blessings' that following a meeting with Laura Nyro in New York, Laura expressed her admiration of the Labelle group and stated that she would love to record and album of r and b oldies with them. Patti said that she and Laura instantly bonded and it came about that recording commenced in Philadelphia under the helm of Gamble and Huff.

Patti further states that recording of the instrumental tacks dragged on for 2 weeks and she and the group grew impatient cooling their heels. Finally the day came when Leon Huff advised Patti that the group could 'start' laying down their vocals. Patti responded that the group would not only start but would finish their vocals on that day! Leon Huff bet her $1000 that they could not pull this off. Four hours and thirty minutes later Labelle's vocals were completed and Patti was $1000 richer!

Patti mentioned that following the release of the album Labelle played a few concerts with Laura Nyro. The highlight being a gig at Carnegie Hall. Oh to be in the audience on that night!

PeaceNHarmony
07-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Patti Labelle wrote in her autobiography 'Don't Block The Blessings' that following a meeting with Laura Nyro in New York, Laura expressed her admiration of the Labelle group and stated that she would love to record and album of r and b oldies with them. Patti said that she and Laura instantly bonded and it came about that recording commenced in Philadelphia under the helm of Gamble and Huff.

Patti further states that recording of the instrumental tacks dragged on for 2 weeks and she and the group grew impatient cooling their heels. Finally the day came when Leon Huff advised Patti that the group could 'start' laying down their vocals. Patti responded that the group would not only start but would finish their vocals on that day! Leon Huff bet her $1000 that they could not pull this off. Four hours and thirty minutes later Labelle's vocals were completed and Patti was $1000 richer!

Patti mentioned that following the release of the album Labelle played a few concerts with Laura Nyro. The highlight being a gig at Carnegie Hall. Oh to be in the audience on that night!
Thanks, Ozmo. That's interesting info. I have a vague recall that the GTAM lp was done quickly; I didn't know it was that quick! It seems odd that the instrumental tracks took so long to record as the instrumentation on the final lp is so sparse; some of the songs are done virtually a cappella. And yes, the Carnegie Hall show would definitely be a time-machine worthy moment! I'm glad we have the GTAM lp for always -

reese
07-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Ozmo. That's interesting info. I have a vague recall that the GTAM lp was done quickly; I didn't know it was that quick! It seems odd that the instrumental tracks took so long to record as the instrumentation on the final lp is so sparse; some of the songs are done virtually a cappella. And yes, the Carnegie Hall show would definitely be a time-machine worthy moment! I'm glad we have the GTAM lp for always -

Re the instrumentation, I think Patti also wrote that Laura insisted on playing with the rhythm section and the musicians had a hard time catching on to her groove.

luke
07-05-2017, 01:45 PM
I love that album. It's ironic as Labelle had just switched from singing classic r&b material to more rock/funk

Ozmo
07-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Re the instrumentation, I think Patti also wrote that Laura insisted on playing with the rhythm section and the musicians had a hard time catching on to her groove.

Yes, you are right about that. I also remember reading somewhere that Laura and the guys spent a lot of the allotted studio time jamming and reminiscing until Gamble and Huff cracked the whip. By that time Laura and Labelle knew the songs so well they just went ahead and nailed it on mostly the first take!

It certainly resulted in an enduring classic that still sounds so good today.