PDA

View Full Version : New Book! - "My Dream of Florence Ballard: A Detroit Rose"

test

marv2
06-22-2017, 04:01 AM
http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwbooks/article/Lady-Jammie-Desiree-brings-Florence-Ballard-back-to-life-20170621

Author Lady Jammie Desiree always loved hearing stories from her mother about Motown music and Florence Ballard. According the biography.com, Ballard became famous in the 1960s as a member of The Supremes, a group which she started with childhood friends Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. In her first book, "My Dream of Florence Ballard: A Detroit Rose" [[published by AuthorHouse), Desiree brings Ballard back to life.

"My Dream of Florence Ballard: A Detroit Rose" was developed from Desiree's mother's stories of Motown music in the 1960s. She remembered Ballard when she lived in Detroit. From her mother's stories, she dreamed of meeting Ballard and upon waking up from her dream, she wrote her dream of Ballard.

It is a fiction story written for all genders and all ages. The book is full of entertainment and original songs Desiree wrote. It takes place in Detroit during the 1960s. The story takes readers into a dream of watching Ballard grow again and they get to watch her revolve again. In this story, Ballard is a shining star. Her life and music lives on forevermore.

From her debut novel, Desiree wants readers to take away happiness, entertainment and a love of Ballard performing again.

"My Dream of Florence Ballard: A Detroit Rose"
By Lady Jammie Desiree
Softcover | 6x9in | 52 pages | ISBN 9781524695446
E-Book | 52 pages | ISBN 9781524695439
Available at Amazon and Barnes & Noble

marv2
06-22-2017, 04:03 AM
http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-001132331%20

marv2
06-22-2017, 04:14 AM
Here is the cover of the book:

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Dang, I was excited until I saw that it's fiction. Cool that Flo is being kept alive in this way, but I'll skip this purchase. I really wish someone would do a real biography of Florence.

sansradio
06-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Dang, I was excited until I saw that it's fiction. Cool that Flo is being kept alive in this way, but I'll skip this purchase. I really wish someone would do a real biography of Florence.

Ditto. And the fact that it's only 52 pages gives me pause.

luke
06-22-2017, 01:56 PM
And the fact that little kids will enjoy it too

marv2
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
And the fact that little kids will enjoy it too

It just further illustrate how Florence Ballard and the Supremes in general have become legends.

luke
06-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Very true. It's fascinating how iconic they've become. It seems like every few years theirs a resurgence of interest.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2017, 06:02 PM
So according to the 'publisher' this 'book' is written by someone who never met Florence Ballard but was told stories about Florence by her own mother who supposedly knew Florence, causing the author to have [[she says) dreams about Florence which she transcribed into this 'book'. I wonder if Mary Ferrer's hypnotist was involved :rolleyes:Can you say 'money grab'?

marv2
06-22-2017, 06:45 PM
So according to the 'publisher' this 'book' is written by someone who never met Florence Ballard but was told stories about Florence by her own mother who supposedly knew Florence, causing the author to have [[she says) dreams about Florence which she transcribed into this 'book'. I wonder if Mary Ferrer's hypnotist was involved :rolleyes:Can you say 'money grab'?

Do you understand the meaning of the word "FICTION". Google it.

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Ditto. And the fact that it's only 52 pages gives me pause.

I didn't pay attention to the number of pages, but yeah that's a short read.

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Very true. It's fascinating how iconic they've become. It seems like every few years theirs a resurgence of interest.

Maybe this will spark someone to focus an in depth biography on Florence. Feels like there's still so much left to learn.

TomatoTom123
06-22-2017, 07:44 PM
So the book is fiction -- made-up stories -- but about an actual, real person...?

captainjames
06-22-2017, 07:58 PM
NEXT
I hope Flo's girls don't hear about this.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2017, 08:37 PM
So the book is fiction -- made-up stories -- but about an actual, real person...?
Yes. Unfortunately.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2017, 08:39 PM
NEXT
I hope they do - perhaps they can discredit it if they feel it's not worthy - or support it if they think it's any good.

TomatoTom123
06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Yes. Unfortunately.

I see, thank you PNH. Seems kinda weird?

marv2
06-22-2017, 09:23 PM
NEXT

The author is from Detroit. I am very sure that they already have .

marv2
06-22-2017, 09:27 PM
I hope they do - perhaps they can discredit it if they feel it's not worthy - or support it if they think it's any good.

Discredit what? It is fiction and from the little synopsis I read, it is a nice story about a little girl's dream of Florence Ballard. It is fiction like Dreamgirls and the Motown Musical. It may be for all ages, but I am betting it is really geared towards children. They cannot discredit someone else's fiction/dream. It is not based on facts.

marv2
06-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Yeah like the play and film Dreamgirls.

PeaceNHarmony
06-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Well, talented writers have written philosophical books about the 'meaning' of Madonna, Jackie O, Cleopatra, and others - books that are based on a public idea of the personality, and the books generally ping-pong between actual events in the person's life and the public conception of those events. But these are learned and experienced writers who publish their works as philosophical theory. We can hope better for this publication but anyone looking to read real information about Flo won't get it here. Caveat emptor, as they say. Everything points to this pamphlet as being a vanity production, but I haven't read it. There was a privately printed, staple-bound bio of Ballard back in the 80s which was actually quite good. Sad, of course, but fairly outlined Florence's intrinsic issues and inability to move on despite her advantages. If I can dig out my copy I'll scan the cover for you, Tom. You may be able to find a copy on eBay.

marv2
06-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Well, talented writers have written philosophical books about the 'meaning' of Madonna, Jackie O, Cleopatra, and others - books that are based on a public idea of the personality, and the books generally ping-pong between actual events in the person's life and the public conception of those events. But these are learned and experienced writers who publish their works as philosophical theory. We can hope better for this publication but anyone looking to read real information about Flo won't get it here. Caveat emptor, as they say. Everything points to this pamphlet as being a vanity production, but I haven't read it. There was a privately printed, staple-bound bio of Ballard back in the 80s which was actually quite good. Sad, of course, but fairly outlined Florence's intrinsic issues and inability to move on despite her advantages. If I can dig out my copy I'll scan the cover for you, Tom. You may be able to find a copy on eBay.

My friend Randall Wilson wrote that. It was a very nice book. Peter Benjaminson, a member here wrote an excellent book on Florence's life. This new book is a nice fictional piece for children. I am going to buy at least one copy. I am sure the Hitsville Museum is going to carry it as well.

luke
06-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Yes. Why do some people condemn something they haven't read? It could be uplifting

marv2
06-22-2017, 10:51 PM
Yes. Why do some people condemn something they haven't read? It could be uplifting

Because it is not about Diana Ross.

detmotownguy
06-22-2017, 10:53 PM
My friend Randall Wilson wrote that. It was a very nice book. Peter Benjaminson, a member here wrote an excellent book on Florence's life. This new book is a nice fictional piece for children. I am going to buy at least one copy. I am sure the Hitsville Museum is going to carry it as well. Wasnt Randall's book a dissertation or something like that?
I thought it was a real good book!

Roberta75
06-22-2017, 11:01 PM

Bless you cause your such an uplifting positive person.

Fondly,

Roberta

marv2
06-23-2017, 12:19 AM
Wasnt Randall's book a dissertation or something like that?
I thought it was a real good book!

Yes it was. It should have found it's way to a decent publishing house, but I was happy to have it all the same.

TomatoTom123
06-23-2017, 02:36 AM
Yeah like the play and film Dreamgirls.

So it's sort of 'based' on Florence's life? A sort of 'alternate version of events' in which Florence is a big star... interesting

I think it is a bit weird that the author actually 'had dreams about Flo' and then wrote the book from them. Also, you had to look really closely to find out that it was fiction.

TomatoTom123
06-23-2017, 02:37 AM

Hey, thanks, PNH.

marv2
06-23-2017, 03:59 AM
So it's sort of 'based' on Florence's life? A sort of 'alternate version of events' in which Florence is a big star... interesting

I think it is a bit weird that the author actually 'had dreams about Flo' and then wrote the book from them. Also, you had to look really closely to find out that it was fiction.

I am sure I mentioned it here at least once LOL!!!

PeaceNHarmony
06-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Hey, thanks, PNH.
Tom - the book I referred to is 'Forever Faithfull: A Study of Florence Ballard' by Randall Wilson. It seems to have been reprinted and available on Amazon, ebay, etc. Bear in mind that it was originally published over 30 years ago; Ballard fanatics have embellished and mythologized the short, sad life greatly since then so any book may seem a bit of a let-down.

PeaceNHarmony
06-23-2017, 11:28 AM

I just saw this post - yes, indeed - seems to be aligned with Kellyann Conway's theory of 'alternative facts' ;)

RanRan79
06-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Oh my gosh, must everything be turned into something negative? The book is fictional and it probably is geared toward children. Nothing wrong with that. I hope it does well and that it renews continued interest in Florence Ballard, an important component to the original success of the Supremes. What exactly is bothering people about it?

RanRan79
06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
I have a copy of both Randall Wilson and Benjaminson's books, both of which are essential for anyone who loves Flo. Randall's book is very matter of fact, which I think was originally supposed to be a thesis he had written[[?). There were a couple of strange moments in the book that I can remember [[it's been years since I've pulled it out). There was a passage about Florence and her family sitting front row at the DRATS performance at a Detroit function after she was fired but I've never heard any other mention of this and so I question if it's factual. Another thing was Flo attending Diana's baby's first birthday party. I've never seen this mentioned anywhere else and so I question it's credibility as well. Overall though it's a good book to have.

Benjaminson's book's selling point is the interviews he was able to rely on that he did with Flo. But I found the book to lack the kind of thoroughness that I expect from a biography. And I told Mr. Benjaminson that back when the book was released. He spent pages talking about this Roger Pearson guy, but there was like a paragraph [[if that) devoted to her relationship with Otis Williams and I don't remember anything about Obie Benson. Benjaminson's response was that Florence spoke at length about Roger and said nothing about Otis. But wouldn't a good biographer step outside of anything his subject had to say and delve into all aspects of the subject's life? The book was really hit and miss to me. He did a much more fantastic job with the book he did on Mary Wells. That's why I hope someone much more capable decides to tackle Florence's life before everyone who knew and loved her can't remember a damn thing.

marv2
06-23-2017, 01:53 PM
I have a copy of both Randall Wilson and Benjaminson's books, both of which are essential for anyone who loves Flo. Randall's book is very matter of fact, which I think was originally supposed to be a thesis he had written[[?). There were a couple of strange moments in the book that I can remember [[it's been years since I've pulled it out). There was a passage about Florence and her family sitting front row at the DRATS performance at a Detroit function after she was fired but I've never heard any other mention of this and so I question if it's factual. Another thing was Flo attending Diana's baby's first birthday party. I've never seen this mentioned anywhere else and so I question it's credibility as well. Overall though it's a good book to have.

Benjaminson's book's selling point is the interviews he was able to rely on that he did with Flo. But I found the book to lack the kind of thoroughness that I expect from a biography. And I told Mr. Benjaminson that back when the book was released. He spent pages talking about this Roger Pearson guy, but there was like a paragraph [[if that) devoted to her relationship with Otis Williams and I don't remember anything about Obie Benson. Benjaminson's response was that Florence spoke at length about Roger and said nothing about Otis. But wouldn't a good biographer step outside of anything his subject had to say and delve into all aspects of the subject's life? The book was really hit and miss to me. He did a much more fantastic job with the book he did on Mary Wells. That's why I hope someone much more capable decides to tackle Florence's life before everyone who knew and loved her can't remember a damn thing.

I don't believe her relationship, although brief with William Guest of Gladys Knight and the Pips was mentioned. Have you read Maxine Ballard's book?

BigAl
06-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Randall's book is very matter of fact, which I think was originally supposed to be a thesis he had written.
Years ago, when Randy and I were at a quasi-social function [[the DC kick-off for Supreme Faith) I asked him, point-blank, if this had been a thesis, since it certainly read like one, and he admitted that it was. At the time, I didn't look at it as a shameless attempt to cash in on the Florence Ballard story, but more as an examination of the recording industry and its business practices, and how they impacted one celebrated woman's life. Looking back, I suppose it was probably both, or he would not have self-published and marketed it. Still, it was not sensationalistic, but simply stated the facts and figures as they were. The barrage of books about Flo which followed it made it clear that, at the time, the subject was kind of a gold mine. [[Dreamgirls and Dreamgirl certainly helped a lot!) I doubt Randy made much, if anything, off it — maybe enough to cover his cost of printing it with perhaps a little left over. It most certainly was not a professionally published item.

TomatoTom123
06-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Oh my gosh, must everything be turned into something negative? The book is fictional and it probably is geared toward children. Nothing wrong with that. I hope it does well and that it renews continued interest in Florence Ballard, an important component to the original success of the Supremes. What exactly is bothering people about it?

Ohhhhh, wow!!! Now it makes sense. It's aimed towards children. Cool. That's why I thought it was a bit of a weird book. Honestly I kinda thought the author was a bit of a nutjob claiming to have had 'dreams' about someone and then publishing a semi-biographical book about them.

LOL, clearly I have the brain capacity of a child so maybe I should buy it :p

RanRan79
06-23-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't believe her relationship, although brief with William Guest of Gladys Knight and the Pips was mentioned. Have you read Maxine Ballard's book?

I think her only relationships mentioned were Otis briefly, this Roger dude [[which Benjaminson refers to as a boyfriend but reading Flo's words it seems pretty clear to me that they were just good friends), and Tommy. Nothing about Joe Shaffner, Weldon McDougal, or Obie. I'm not sure she had a relationship with William Guest. Mary wrote that the two of them were friends but she didn't say they were bumping uglies.:o

RanRan79
06-23-2017, 05:35 PM
Have you read Maxine Ballard's book?

Yes I have a copy. Again, it's mandatory for anyone who is a big Flo fan like I am, but it still left me "unsatisfied". The book was all over the place, jumping from one period of time to another. I was completely thrown off by the fact that there seems to be only one photo of Florence from Maxine's personal collection. All the other photos of Flo were from photos that have been seen countless places, some of which had simply cropped Flo out from the other Supremes. Maxine seemed to focus a lot on Flo's bad times when I was looking forward to reading about her good times from the perspective of a family insider. Still, I was glad to have Maxine's account and she and I corresponded for awhile. She was a very lovely lady.

RanRan79
06-23-2017, 05:36 PM
LOL, clearly I have the brain capacity of a child so maybe I should buy it :p

Tom it's Friday, so I'm going to leave you alone and let this golden opportunity pass on by.:cool:

luke
06-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Randall's writing was great and serves as an excellent resource for future writers. Why should this new book be judged? Dreamgirls had the Flo character triumph and a lot of it came from the writers imaginations

marv2
06-23-2017, 09:40 PM
I think her only relationships mentioned were Otis briefly, this Roger dude [[which Benjaminson refers to as a boyfriend but reading Flo's words it seems pretty clear to me that they were just good friends), and Tommy. Nothing about Joe Shaffner, Weldon McDougal, or Obie. I'm not sure she had a relationship with William Guest. Mary wrote that the two of them were friends but she didn't say they were bumping uglies.:o

I heard they played cards............LOL!!!!

marv2
06-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Randall's writing was great and serves as an excellent resource for future writers. Why should this new book be judged? Dreamgirls had the Flo character triumph and a lot of it came from the writers imaginations

That is exactly right. In Dreamgirls in it's original form, when they were in workshop had the "Effie" character die at the end of the first scene. Jennifer Holliday has said that she fought to have Effie survive and triumph. It was also a good way to keep the possibility of being sued out of the picture.

captainjames
06-23-2017, 10:19 PM
Actually, before reading something that someone had dreams about I would prefer to read a book by Barbara Martin on hat she remembers about Florence Ballard.

luke
06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Very true Marv . Jennifer left the show until it was rewritten. I guess the lawsuit fears subsided as they had exact replicas of 70s Supremes albums in movie!

marv2
06-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Very true Marv . Jennifer left the show until it was rewritten. I guess the lawsuit fears subsided as they had exact replicas of 70s Suoremes albums in movie!

They were smart enough with the movie to come this.......close to copying those album covers. I sometimes wished someone would just produce the real Supremes story. I also wished someone would just come out and tell the truth as to why it has not been done yet!

luke
06-23-2017, 11:52 PM
Amen to that!!

woodward
06-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Maybe this will spark someone to focus an in depth biography on Florence. Feels like there's still so much left to learn.

I have four books on Florence. You must consider that it has been exactly 41 years since she left us. That means anyone who has any information on here is probably 60+ years old and that limits the number of people who can attribute something credible towards an in depth biography.

Randall Wilson's book, Forever Faithful, published in 1987 was the first book on Florence. He did an exhausting analysis of her life and the lawsuits that resulted from her career.

This was followed shortly thereafter by All That Glittered by Tony Turner in 1990. He claims to have been associated with Florence from the early days until her demise. While some people have reservations about some of the accounts he wrote about, I am certain that the vast amount of information he wrote is accurate and truthful.

Then in 2007, Florence's sister Maxine Ballard, wrote a book entitled The True Story of Florence Ballard in a "special limited edition" which sold for $49.95. A lot of details were included in this book and it was interesting at the end of the book where her birth certificate as well as her death certificate and coroner's report were reproduced. I have never seen such details presented in any other biography.

Then came 2008, The Lost Supreme was written by a leading Motown expert, Peter Benjaminson who wrote the very first book on Motown which included a lot of unseen pictures the public had never seen on Florence as well as other Motown photos. He was there in Detroit working for the Free Press and he was able to record her life story in her own words by recording more than eight hours of tape. He attempted to get various publications to publish her life story but because public awareness of her and interest in her dissipated after she left the Supremes prevented him from getting her story published.

So therefore, as much as I would like to see more on her life and career, it is highly doubtful that much remains to be told. I think we have basically learned as much as we can on her career and sad demise.

There even was a Florence Ballard Fan Club headed by Alan White in Los Angeles. How many members have the fan club bulletins in their collection? I have every one that was issued. There were exhibits on her in Los Angeles but never in Detroit where it probably would have been attended by a lot of Detroit and Michigan enthusiasts. These also included a substantial amount of information on Florence and her career.

TomatoTom123
06-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Tom it's Friday, so I'm going to leave you alone and let this golden opportunity pass on by.:cool:

LOL, there was an open goal, and you didn't even shoot :D

RanRan79
06-25-2017, 12:47 PM
Actually, before reading something that someone had dreams about I would prefer to read a book by Barbara Martin on hat she remembers about Florence Ballard.

Yeah, but you're talking about fiction vs fact. This fictional "children's" book is what it is and I'm still trying to figure out why anyone has a problem with it. As for Barbara, I guess it's highly unlikely that a book by a Supreme who left years before the group hit big would be marketable, but I would buy it. Lol Other than Mary's interview of Barbara in the Meet the Supremes expanded booklet, I never see her sourced or quoted in any of the Motown/Supremes books. I wonder if anyone ever bothers to seek her out.

RanRan79
06-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I have four books on Florence. You must consider that it has been exactly 41 years since she left us. That means anyone who has any information on here is probably 60+ years old and that limits the number of people who can attribute something credible towards an in depth biography.

There are tons of people still alive who knew Florence well and were around back then. I've read fantastic biographies in recent years of people who died before Florence did. Benjaminson's book is supposed to be the "final word" but I think it was professional amateurish at best, so I would like to see someone else tackle this.

This was followed shortly thereafter by All That Glittered by Tony Turner in 1990. He claims to have been associated with Florence from the early days until her demise. While some people have reservations about some of the accounts he wrote about, I am certain that the vast amount of information he wrote is accurate and truthful.

Yeah, I'm one of those people, because I'm pretty certain that most of his book is culled from his active imagination. Many of the most wild moments in his book have their roots in anecdotes Mary had already given in hers years before. On top of that, I'm expected to believe that Florence, a grown woman in her 20s, was in the habit of keeping company with and using as a confidante a kid? This is the same guy who planned to write a book about how Gordy was his first sexual partner. That alone erases any credibility he may have had. He went on in another interview sometime in the 2000s and claimed Florence was a drug addict. The guy is a liar who created a terrific work of fiction probably mixed with a bit of fact. Despite this it's still one of my favorite books. Lol

marv2
06-25-2017, 01:29 PM
There are tons of people still alive who knew Florence well and were around back then. I've read fantastic biographies in recent years of people who died before Florence did. Benjaminson's book is supposed to be the "final word" but I think it was professional amateurish at best, so I would like to see someone else tackle this.

Yeah, I'm one of those people, because I'm pretty certain that most of his book is culled from his active imagination. Many of the most wild moments in his book have their roots in anecdotes Mary had already given in hers years before. On top of that, I'm expected to believe that Florence, a grown woman in her 20s, was in the habit of keeping company with and using as a confidante a kid? This is the same guy who planned to write a book about how Gordy was his first sexual partner. That alone erases any credibility he may have had. He went on in another interview sometime in the 2000s and claimed Florence was a drug addict. The guy is a liar who created a terrific work of fiction probably mixed with a bit of fact. Despite this it's still one of my favorite books. Lol

Florence Ballard was not a drug addict and I remember his plans for a third book talking about Berry Gordy. The internet is a good tool to not only connect people around the World. It is also a great tool to educate and dispel a lot of inaccurate information floating around out there. There is so much that has not been covered or mentioned and you are right. The people from neighborhood are a great source if you are interested in what the subject or person was really like. Too many writers go for the obvious. Old teachers, family friends, local business owners know a lot but are never asked!