heikki
06-16-2017, 12:40 PM
FANTASTIC!
Thank you for this, PeaceNHarmony.

nysister
06-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Now THAT'S what I call music! I SO want Ellis Hazlip's SOUL! available on dvd -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREBH5dq6ko

I too wish they would digitize these shows and make them available. I believe PBS owns the rights because I remember them showing a few of the episodes during one of their anniversary celebrations. Ellis Hazlip's SOUL live performances are historic. I feel the same way about Gil Noble's "Like It Is" interview show which ABC owns. Both should be should be available to the public but most likely will never be.

PeaceNHarmony
06-16-2017, 01:56 PM
I too wish they would digitize these shows and make them available. I believe PBS owns the rights because I remember them showing a few of the episodes during one of their anniversary celebrations. Ellis Hazlip's SOUL live performances are historic. I feel the same way about Gil Noble's "Like It Is" interview show which ABC owns. Both should be should be available to the public but most likely will never be.
Yes, 'Like It Is'! I had a momentary lapse forgetting about Gil Noble. There is an online library [[sorry I forget exactly what it is) that has excellent quality streaming of SOUL! but you can only see brief clips unless you submit documentation proving you are researching something ... Everyone's loss, if you ask me. SOO many legendary SOUL! performances - A&S, The Spinners, Nikki Giovanni, Jerry Butler along with Labelle and The Dells.

PeaceNHarmony
06-16-2017, 01:57 PM
FANTASTIC!
Thank you for this, PeaceNHarmony.
You are most welcome, Heikki - SOUL! was a major part of my high school years. So many iconic, multi-song performances that deserve to be seen again. And again!

PeaceNHarmony
06-16-2017, 01:58 PM
PS: It's my opinion that the cover photos on The Spinners' self-titled Atlantic LP are stills from their SOUL! performance.

PeaceNHarmony
06-16-2017, 02:03 PM
PSS: Here's the current 'gatekeeper' - WPA Film Library - I don't know if they still have the entire SOUL! archive -

https://www.wpafilmlibrary.com/

nysister
06-16-2017, 04:08 PM
PSS: Here's the current 'gatekeeper' - WPA Film Library - I don't know if they still have the entire SOUL! archive -

https://www.wpafilmlibrary.com/

Thanks for the information!!

soulwally
06-16-2017, 06:49 PM
PS: It's my opinion that the cover photos on The Spinners' self-titled Atlantic LP are stills from their SOUL! performance.
And I believe you're right.

splanky
06-18-2017, 05:59 AM
If it weren't for my following of other genres of music, especially
jazz, I would be virtually lost trying to digest most of so called R&B
today. How the hell did we get from The Dells, The Dramatics,and New
Birth to _____________, you fill in the blank, with layers of auto-tune
and mumble rappers spitting all over the track? What is so played out
and dated about real singers and real bands?....

Luciano
06-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Finally watched this. Awesome show - thanks so much for posting. Marvin sings with so much power I kept expecting his voice to go out. Never did! what a power house singer.

PeaceNHarmony
06-20-2017, 08:26 PM
If it weren't for my following of other genres of music, especially
jazz, I would be virtually lost trying to digest most of so called R&B
today. How the hell did we get from The Dells, The Dramatics,and New
Birth to _____________, you fill in the blank, with layers of auto-tune
and mumble rappers spitting all over the track? What is so played out
and dated about real singers and real bands?....
This I don't know. But New Birth need to be more discussed here!

PeaceNHarmony
06-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Finally watched this. Awesome show - thanks so much for posting. Marvin sings with so much power I kept expecting his voice to go out. Never did! what a power house singer.
No, Luciano - it never did! I saw The Dells live in the early 90s and the voices were still there. Glad you watched and liked. A great historical record of amazing musicians.