PDA

View Full Version : Florence looking for her baby love!

test

luke
06-14-2017, 11:23 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=unXHq63AYLE. And throwing oooos in!

marv2
06-15-2017, 12:09 AM
Florence was such a good looking woman.

luke
06-15-2017, 12:23 AM
She sure was. And her sass and humor added a lot to the group

detmotownguy
06-15-2017, 12:44 AM
I suggest that Flo could have been a one woman show. Superb comedic talents.

marv2
06-15-2017, 01:46 AM
I suggest that Flo could have been a one woman show. Superb comedic talents.

Had she been in a different environment or simply left alone after she was fired from the Supremes she could have really made it. She had the goods.

BigAl
06-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Sadly for Florence, just having the goods is rarely any guarantee of success. It's always been my contention that none of the three gals could have hit it big without the group, and certainly not without HDH. Flo's superb strong voice and sassy stage presence were a great foil alongside Diane's bombast and Mary's reserve, but Flo had been so hobbled by fears, insecurities and demons of her own that she needed the presence of others to support her and probably never could have sustained a solo career under any circumstances. When she stopped getting that support she was truly crippled, and, later broken.

marv2
06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
Sadly for Florence, just having the goods is rarely any guarantee of success. It's always been my contention that none of the three gals could have hit it big without the group, and certainly not without HDH. Flo's superb strong voice and sassy stage presence were a great foil alongside Diane's bombast and Mary's reserve, but Flo had been so hobbled by fears, insecurities and demons of her own that she needed the presence of others to support her and probably never could have sustained a solo career under any circumstances. When she stopped getting that support she was truly crippled, and, later broken.

She needed a therapist after that rape. She needed to not have been totally picked at and complained about. Her problems came from the outside. Her problems came from others that were close to her and we all know who those "others" were. You'll not change that with me or anyone that were around as all of this played out. It was by design that she be "broken".

marv2
06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
"but Flo had been so hobbled by fears [["If you go on that stage tonight I will have you thrown off....!" , insecurities [["Florence you are way too fat. Florence you look huge compared to Diane,etc") and demons of her own[["Reggie....sure Flo, I'll take you home, but I am going to rape you first!") that she needed the presence of others to support her [[Where were those people she needed for support?) and probably never could have sustained a solo career under any circumstances [[Especially when your old boss is setting you up to be Blackballed....). When she stopped getting that support [[From all that I've read, she was not getting much support from anyone, nope, not even her husband) she was truly crippled, and, later broken"

BigAl
06-15-2017, 11:00 AM
My points exactly.

Florence was indeed a victim, both of others and of her own insecurities. Neither Flo nor Mary would ever have prevailed if pitted against the bulwark of Diane and Berry, and both women knew this. The difference was that Mary chose to accept powerlessness and to acquiesce and go with the program, although it damaged her for years thereafter. She just wanted to keep her job and knew the only way to do that was to just be a trouper and "put up and shut up." Florence was a very different kind of person. Sometimes she would rise to the bait when provoked, which is never a great strategy, and rail against the injustices, but, conversely, sometimes she would also just shut down entirely, create a wall around herself and absent herself physically as a defense mechanism when things would get really bad.

I also agree that if she had been given professional assistance following the rape [[such things were unheard of in 1960), and if she had been shown some understanding and compassion from the powerful duo who held all the cards, she might have been able to function professionally. Then again, she might not have. Showbiz is fickle. This will remain an eternal question for her fans and loved ones.

marv2
06-15-2017, 11:14 AM
My points exactly.

Florence was indeed a victim, both of others and of her own insecurities. Neither Flo nor Mary would ever have prevailed if pitted against the bulwark of Diane and Berry, and both women knew this. The difference was that Mary chose to accept powerlessness and to acquiesce and go with the program, although it damaged her for years thereafter. She just wanted to keep her job and knew the only way to do that was to just be a trouper and "put up and shut up." Florence was a very different kind of person. Sometimes she would rise to the bait when provoked, which is never a great strategy, and rail against the injustices, but, conversely, sometimes she would also just shut down entirely, create a wall around herself and absent herself physically as a defense mechanism when things would get really bad.

I also agree that if she had been given professional assistance following the rape [[such things were unheard of in 1960), and if she had been shown some understanding and compassion from the powerful duo who held all the cards, she might have been able to function professionally. Then again, she might not have. Showbiz is fickle. This will remain an eternal question for her fans and loved ones.

Ok sorry, I may have misunderstood you. I always knew there were certain people that were pro-active in stifling Florence's career.

captainjames
06-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Very well put, I would have to agree. I will add that she needed support, love and understanding from her family as well.

huntergettingcaptured
06-17-2017, 10:48 PM
There is a book out there about the Supremes [[and I think fans are not very high on the author and some of the things he wrote) but for all the controversy of the book, the author seems to be very sympathetic of Florence. One thing he wrote keeps standing out- in remarking about all the pressure she was going through when the group was really at its peak, he remarks that just how Florence remained sane is amazing. I agree. That woman was strong, but even the strongest people can be eventually broken. Still, I'm amazed that she kept it together as well as she did after being dropped by Motown.

marv2
06-17-2017, 11:30 PM
There is a book out there about the Supremes [[and I think fans are not very high on the author and some of the things he wrote) but for all the controversy of the book, the author seems to be very sympathetic of Florence. One thing he wrote keeps standing out- in remarking about all the pressure she was going through when the group was really at its peak, he remarks that just how Florence remained sane is amazing. I agree. That woman was strong, but even the strongest people can be eventually broken. Still, I'm amazed that she kept it together as well as she did after being dropped by Motown.

I think I know the book you are talking about. By Mark Ribowsky. I did not have a problem with his book at all.

huntergettingcaptured
06-18-2017, 12:08 AM
I think I know the book you are talking about. By Mark Ribowsky. I did not have a problem with his book at all.

Hi Marv, yes that is the book. When it came out, I thought I recalled that some fans didn't like Mark's style of phrasing some details or situations. I read the book and even though I could see where some fans could take issue with a phrase here and there, overall, I thought that Mark really nailed just what it was that made the Supremes not just a music phenomenon but why they mattered historically and culturally on a level equal to the Rock acts music historians are forever praising. No other book or author had ever written in such depth on that subject as Mark did. I was also very impressed with his telling of Florence's story. I had the impression that this was coming, not from a fan, but a very objective writer who ended up learning maybe a lot more about her ordeal than even he had bargained for. He related her story with a lot of respect and regard.

luke
06-18-2017, 12:15 AM
I haven't read it for a long time but as I recall some of his facts were wrong and I thought he was unnecessarily dismissive of Cindy Birdsong.

marv2
06-18-2017, 01:19 AM
Hi Marv, yes that is the book. When it came out, I thought I recalled that some fans didn't like Mark's style of phrasing some details or situations. I read the book and even though I could see where some fans could take issue with a phrase here and there, overall, I thought that Mark really nailed just what it was that made the Supremes not just a music phenomenon but why they mattered historically and culturally on a level equal to the Rock acts music historians are forever praising. No other book or author had ever written in such depth on that subject as Mark did. I was also very impressed with his telling of Florence's story. I had the impression that this was coming, not from a fan, but a very objective writer who ended up learning maybe a lot more about her ordeal than even he had bargained for. He related her story with a lot of respect and regard.

The only "fans" that did not like his book or what he wrote in it were hardcore Diana Ross fans. They took exception with his saying that she slept her way to the top. That line alone is what the media picked up and it was use indirectly to promote the book.

I am pretty sure Miss Ross did not sue the author, sooooooooooo. I liked his retelling of the story of Legendary Detroit Radio personality and television host Robin Seymour witnessing a Supremes recording session in the sixties at the invitation of Berry Gordy. His detailed account had me on the verge tears from laughing so hard! LOL!

I can't remember but did he write about Florence being mugged on the street years after she was no longer in the Supremes?

vgalindo
06-18-2017, 01:45 AM
The only "fans" that did not like his book or what he wrote in it were hardcore Diana Ross fans. They took exception with his saying that she slept her way to the top. That line alone is what the media picked up and it was use indirectly to promote the book.

I am pretty sure Miss Ross did not sue the author, sooooooooooo. I liked his retelling of the story of Legendary Detroit Radio personality and television host Robin Seymour witnessing a Supremes recording session in the sixties at the invitation of Berry Gordy. His detailed account had my on the verge tears from laughing so hard! LOL!

I can't remember but did he write about Florence being mugged on the street years after she was no longer in the Supremes?
I was thinking about reading this book but if the author said that then he lost all credibility for me. Everyone knows that Diana Ross was already having hits way before her affair with Berry Gordy started. If you could sleep your way to the top with no talent or hard work then Mary would have been the biggest superstar the world has ever seen!!! Lol.

BigAl
06-18-2017, 08:32 AM
I never felt that the Ribowsky book shed any new light on the group's story, other than a few "new" anecdotes, and was just a waste of my money.

There were quite a number of erroneous statements, inaccuracies in chronology, and even mis-identification of people in the photos.

I took a highlighter and stick-on flags to mark places where anyone who knows the group's story would instantly see that his "facts" were somewhat skewed, if not outright wrong, and it amounted to a couple of dozen. Most were relatively insignificant in the big picture, but it's still inexcusable. I don't know if he or his publisher used a fact checker, but if they did, he or she really fell asleep at the switch.

In a book of that length, this number of inaccuracies was comparatively minor, but, to fans who know better, this sort of thing tends to erode the author's credibility across the board.

marv2
06-18-2017, 10:31 AM
I was thinking about reading this book but if the author said that then he lost all credibility for me. Everyone knows that Diana Ross was already having hits way before her affair with Berry Gordy started. If you could sleep your way to the top with no talent or hard work then Mary would have been the biggest superstar the world has ever seen!!! Lol.

My point is proven here! LOL!

marv2
06-18-2017, 10:38 AM
http://pagesix.com/2009/04/19/diana-ross-hot-time-at-motown/

luke
06-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Well stated!

huntergettingcaptured
06-18-2017, 07:26 PM

He mentions it briefly, a couple words along with other things she endured after The Supremes.

huntergettingcaptured
06-18-2017, 07:38 PM
I never felt that the Ribowsky book shed any new light on the group's story, other than a few "new" anecdotes, and was just a waste of my money.

There were quite a number of erroneous statements, inaccuracies in chronology, and even mis-identification of people in the photos.

I took a highlighter and stick-on flags to mark places where anyone who knows the group's story would instantly see that his "facts" were somewhat skewed, if not outright wrong, and it amounted to a couple of dozen. Most were relatively insignificant in the big picture, but it's still inexcusable. I don't know if he or his publisher used a fact checker, but if they did, he or she really fell asleep at the switch.

In a book of that length, this number of inaccuracies was comparatively minor, but, to fans who know better, this sort of thing tends to erode the author's credibility across the board.

The inclusion of numerous errors, sometimes as small as getting a name wrong, is something that forever has been the thorn in the side of fans who buy these books. Yes, Mark included some doozies to make the eyes roll all the way back. And yes, there isn't all that much new in the way of details. For most Motown fans, this would be just another book with the same facts being distorted in the new way.

The major exception for me though was that for once, an author placed The Supremes in the same rarefied stratosphere as The Beatles, Stones and all the rock bands of that era. Most Rock critics, for the longest time, never really gave the group, or Motown its well-deserved due. I've bought just about every book on Motown that has been put out, and Mark's was the one that went to lengths to detail just why The Supremes mattered historically and why there will never again be a group to match their accomplishments.

Is it a perfect book? No. I have yet to read one. But at least the overall message is that this is a group that must be respected.

detmotownguy
06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
http://pagesix.com/2009/04/19/diana-ross-hot-time-at-motown/Ouch! Thanks Marv.

marv2
06-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Ouch! Thanks Marv.

You're welcome DET!

jobucats
06-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Ok, I'll make you Ross-bashers happy. Bad girl, bad girl, bad girl. Shame on you for sleeping with the boss which was the only reason your career skyrocketed at the expense of other girls. Shame on you that your voice on those early recordings, backed by the great Motown sound, captivated us before we even laid eyes on you. Shame on you that because of those early recordings, we were drawn to the other two beautiful and talented singers with you. Bad girl, for possessing charisma that commanded attention toward you a little more than to the other two. You should be ashamed for working so much harder in the studio while your friends had time off to shop or whatever. Shame on you for trying to make it hassle free for your friend and fellow Supreme Mary Wilson to come on board for the RTL tour. Maybe your choice of words,"All she had to do was show up" was a little harsh but they did demonstrate that you meant for the transition for her to participate would be easy. And lastly, why, over the past years, have you been acknowledging those other girls [[and especially Mary Wilson) in many of your award acceptance speeches?

I know the bashers will never be happy, but I hope this helps. Thanks to your many propaganda like statements, I am now on your side. BAD DIANA!!!!

NOT

motownlover1964
06-19-2017, 02:51 PM
For some of us we weren't captivated by Diana Ross; we were captivated by the group. Why is that so difficult to understand, charisma notwithstanding and I'll give that to Diana, but as a young teen her charisma was not something that drew me to only her. In fact, I may get a kick in the pants for stating this, but when I watch the clips from the 60s I get tired of Diana being the focus and was happy for her to go solo. However, when you see a group on stage you can see the complete group in action; not just the lead singer so that's why TV was a misrepresentation of the group dynamic. Had there been an even amount of shots of the group as well as the individual ones for Diana I think it would have been beneficial for all involved. Even when they were at "odds" with each other their professionalism never wavered. I loved them all and for years was also devoted to Diana as well as all the various groupings of Supreme's.

luke
06-19-2017, 08:56 PM
So well said Motownlover. I completely agree.

RanRan79
06-19-2017, 09:16 PM

That's one of the sad parts about the Supremes' story, that forever with a certain segment of people Diana Ross' accomplishments- and by extension the accomplishments of the Supremes- rest in her vagina. Awhile back I made a comment about Diana's gender being tied to the way people perceive her actions, both real and made up, and a couple of posters didn't agree. I stand by my comment. The mere fact that of all the people at Motown and their sexual habits [[I believe it was Marvin Gaye who said that everyone at Motown was screwing everyone else at Motown) this one woman is derided for who she chose to sleep with in the past but no one else is, says a lot. Never mind the fact, as you point out, no one purchased "Where Did Our Love Go" on the strength of Diana's p***y. Gordy didn't put any extra weight behind the Supremes because of Diana's golden crotch. And let's say that he did...what does that say about Berry Gordy, that because a young woman gives him some- or even potentially could give him some- that he would then bet the farm on her and her friends? At some point "fans" need to take a step back and start asking themselves if the bullshit they continue to throw out even makes sense at this point. Hell, if it was about who was screwing the boss, what the hell happened to Chris Clark's career? The Supremes and Diana Ross became what they became because of raw talent, their ability to be coached and molded, and the fact that they often set themselves apart from the competition, even when they didn't have a hit record. None of that- NONE OF IT- has anything to do with Diana Ross' vagina.

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
DIANA ROSS XPOSED: "SHE SLEPT HER WAY TO THE TOP

http://missxpose.com/2009/04/diana-ross-xposed-she-slept-her-way-to-the-top/

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:22 PM
Diana Ross Slept Her Way to the Top

http://wendyista.blogspot.com/2009/04/diana-ross-slept-her-way-to-top.html

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Diana Ross slept her way to the top of Motown, says new book

http://www.andhranews.net/Entertainment/2009/April/20-Diana-Ross-slept-1495.asp

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:25 PM
New Diana Ross Bio Alleges Motown Misdeeds

https://theurbandaily.cassiuslife.com/176391/new-diana-ross-bio-alleges-motown-misdeeds/

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Those are just a small sample of the articles and blog reports regarding the book "The Supremes: A Saga of Motown Dreams, Success and Betrayal" There are dozens more. There is no way to tell how many hundreds or thousands of people who have read them, but I think the people that have a problem with it all should start by contacting all of those websites and outlets and voice your displeasure. Maybe you could even get them to take them down. You have your work cut out for you however. Good luck!

RanRan79
06-19-2017, 09:29 PM
For some of us we weren't captivated by Diana Ross; we were captivated by the group. Why is that so difficult to understand, charisma notwithstanding and I'll give that to Diana, but as a young teen her charisma was not something that drew me to only her. In fact, I may get a kick in the pants for stating this, but when I watch the clips from the 60s I get tired of Diana being the focus and was happy for her to go solo. However, when you see a group on stage you can see the complete group in action; not just the lead singer so that's why TV was a misrepresentation of the group dynamic. Had there been an even amount of shots of the group as well as the individual ones for Diana I think it would have been beneficial for all involved. Even when they were at "odds" with each other their professionalism never wavered. I loved them all and for years was also devoted to Diana as well as all the various groupings of Supreme's.

Another sad aspect of their story, the idea that it was all about Diana. Diana was in a unique position within the group: she was the damn lead singer. It wasn't just that she was "extra" as she performed, it was the fact that as lead singer she was a focal point, as most lead singers tend to be. Sure, the girl had charisma and charm. She was beautiful with great fashion sense. And on top of that she had a beautiful singing voice. But what would have happened had she been "stuck" singing behind Florence or Mary? She still could have charisma and charm, be beautiful with fashion sense, and have a beautiful singing voice. But the cameras would focus more on Flo or Mary, whoever happened to be singing, and Diana would be just another girl in the background. Gordy made her a focal point and as such she did what she had to do to keep that position. But I hypothesize that if Gordy had decided to make Flo or Mary the focal point- or if he had decided the group would alternate focus per song or performance- Flo or Mary would have gotten more camera time, and would have had to do the something extra. This is not to take away from Diana, as I feel she was indeed special. But even with all of Diana's extras, really until Florence left the big draw of the Supremes was the Supremes themselves. If it hadn't been that way Diana could've gone solo in 1966, as rumor has it. She couldn't because she was one of the Supremes, not the Supreme.

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:31 PM
You might also want to contact everyone who bought and read the book in whole or part and tell them not to believe any of it. Tell them that it is not true and that they should throw their books away immediately.

RanRan79
06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Those are just a small sample of the articles and blog reports regarding the book "The Supremes: A Saga of Motown Dreams, Success and Betrayal" There are dozens more. There is no way to tell how many hundreds or thousands of people who have read them, but I think the people that have a problem with it all should start by contacting all of those websites and outlets and voice your displeasure. Maybe you could even get them to take them down. You have your work cut out for you however. Good luck!

What lame ass person would even bother contacting websites in the hopes that they would stop reporting that Diana Ross slept her way to success? Do you have any idea how much bullshit is on the internet? LOL Sometimes you have to let nonsense exist in it's own little world. People will believe what they wish, even when it belies common sense [[which I'm finding is becoming more rare as the days go by). This nation's president is a follower and subscriber of a man who thinks the Sandy Hook murders were false. It's not a stretch of the imagination that some folks continue to spread stories attributing a woman's success to her sexual history. It's actually quite normal to assume that a woman came by her success- especially a Black woman- by something other than her talents. It's that centuries old idea that she's only good for one thing. I have to say that I was a fan of Diana Ross as a small child and I didn't even know what sex was, let alone that she was having it with the boss. LOL And most people who bought the Supremes' records didn't know either. Like I said, belies common sense.

RanRan79
06-19-2017, 09:44 PM
You might also want to contact everyone who bought and read the book in whole or part and tell them not to believe any of it. Tell them that it is not true and that they should throw their books away immediately.

Again, what lame ass person would do that? LOL If a person is DUMB enough to believe EVERYTHING they read about someone, is it really worth a person's time and trouble to track them all down and say get rid of the book? Is this a normal train of thought for some of you people? Kind of weird.

marv2
06-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Again, what lame ass person would do that? LOL If a person is DUMB enough to believe EVERYTHING they read about someone, is it really worth a person's time and trouble to track them all down and say get rid of the book? Is this a normal train of thought for some of you people? Kind of weird.

It is America and a lot of Americans believed Donald Trump! So, be afraid, be very afraid that they would believe what they have read about Diana Ross! LOL!!!!

RanRan79
06-20-2017, 12:12 AM
It is America and a lot of Americans believed Donald Trump! So, be afraid, be very afraid that they would believe what they have read about Diana Ross! LOL!!!!

Oh yeah, some folks believe it. But like I said, nobody can do anything about it. They'll believe what they believe and only an idiot would lose sleep over it. Meanwhile Diana seems to be happy loving on the five people who came out of her vagina and doesn't seem to pay attention to the negative things said about her. That's what I love about both she and Mary. They let the fans and the trash rags do what they do and don't seem to pay any attention to it whatsoever. That's a sign of people happy with themselves, the same as it's a sign of someone unhappy with themselves when they constantly talk shit about someone else.

thanxal
06-20-2017, 05:54 AM
That's a sign of people happy with themselves, the same as it's a sign of someone unhappy with themselves when they constantly talk shit about someone else.
No truer words have been written here. This is a spot-on perfect observation. It is especially obvious when they do it over and over and over and over and over and over...

BigAl
06-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Meanwhile Diana seems to be happy loving on the five people who came out of her vagina...
Jeez...somehow I knew this thread eventually might devolve into something unsavory, but, really, was this comment necessary? Could it not have been phrased as "loving her family?"

I'm no champion of Diane by any stretch of the imagination, but why can't we be respectful?

TomatoTom123
06-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Jeez...somehow I knew this thread eventually might devolve into something unsavory, but, really, was this comment necessary? Could it not have been phrased as "loving her family?"

I'm no champion of Diane by any stretch of the imagination, but why can't we be respectful?

Hey Al, I think the vagina reference was made because people were talking about Diana using her vagina [[i.e. sleeping with people) to 'get to the top'... I don't think RanRan intended it to be disrespectful, just a funny comment ;)

Wow I've used the word vagina too much in this post :p

marv2
06-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Hey Al, I think the vagina reference was made because people were talking about Diana using her vagina [[i.e. sleeping with people) to 'get to the top'... I don't think RanRan intended it to be disrespectful, just a funny comment ;)

In not one of those articles is that word used or mentioned. Try again.....

TomatoTom123
06-20-2017, 11:17 AM
In not one of those articles is that word used or mentioned. Try again.....

I never said they were, Marv, just that the topic of discussion was Diana sleeping her way to the top [[i.e. 'using her vagina') and that's why I think RanRan used that particular phrase. :)

marv2
06-20-2017, 11:51 AM
I never said they were, Marv, just that the topic of discussion was Diana sleeping her way to the top [[i.e. 'using her vagina') and that's why I think RanRan used that particular phrase. :)

It's indefensible.

TomatoTom123
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM
It's indefensible.

Wha? I was just saying why I thought RanRan said it.

HOLD ON though, are you defending Diana Ross? LOLOL

detmotownguy
06-20-2017, 03:55 PM
The thread went from Flo's baby love to Diane's v.

marv2
06-20-2017, 04:42 PM
The thread went from Flo's baby love to Diane's v.

Isn't that something........?

marv2
06-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Wha? I was just saying why I thought RanRan said it.

HOLD ON though, are you defending Diana Ross? LOLOL

I'm saying that the term has nothing to do with the discussion. It was used for shock value and I for one have been around too much to be shocked. Let RanRan explain it for himself!

TomatoTom123
06-20-2017, 04:57 PM
I'm saying that the term has nothing to do with the discussion. It was used for shock value and I for one have been around too much to be shocked. Let RanRan explain it for himself!

Ok, Marv :)

marv2
06-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Ok, Marv :)

Thanks Tom.

RanRan79
06-20-2017, 09:08 PM
No truer words have been written here. This is a spot-on perfect observation. It is especially obvious when they do it over and over and over and over and over and over...

Thanxal were you singing that last part in your Jean Terrell voice? ;)

RanRan79
06-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Big Al my reference to Diana's vagina in this way was related to the fact that who has gone inside her vagina is a topic of conversation. In this case I was referencing who came out. I don't believe the word "vagina" nor reference to childbirth are disrespectful. Talking about this 70 year old woman's sexual history on the other hand, is.

RanRan79
06-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Thanks Tom. In another post I not only used "vagina" but also "p***y" and "golden crotch". Weird that it was "vagina" that threw folks off. LOL

RanRan79
06-20-2017, 09:25 PM

RanRan shouldn't have to explain it since any idiot should be able to follow the word association. But here we go for the slow folks:

The topic became Diana's sexual history. More specifically that she used sexual partners to become successful in the music industry. When one speaks of sexual intercourse, the act involves the genitalia of the women and/or men who are the subject of the discussion. In this case the genitals belonged to Diana Ross and- surprise, surprise- Diana Ross has a- you guessed it- VAGINA. So since there was so much talk about who had gone inside her VAGINA, I referenced the five folks who came out of it. So what? Vagina is not a bad word. VAGINA. VAGINA. VAGINA. Childbirth is not a bad thing. VAGINA. VAGINA. VAGINA. Btw, if folks aren't shocked by a discussion about the sexual history of a GRANDMOTHER, they surely aren't going to be shocked by my use of the word VAGINA. VAGINA. PENIS. [[Thought I was going to say VAGINA again, didn't cha?:D) Now that I've had to stoop to middle school level, I'm going to officially crawl back up the maturity ladder and respectfully ask that the rest of you follow me. Or lead the way. As long as we all get there. Thanks.

marv2
06-20-2017, 10:17 PM
RanRan shouldn't have to explain it since any idiot should be able to follow the word association. But here we go for the slow folks:

The topic became Diana's sexual history. More specifically that she used sexual partners to become successful in the music industry. When one speaks of sexual intercourse, the act involves the genitalia of the women and/or men who are the subject of the discussion. In this case the genitals belonged to Diana Ross and- surprise, surprise- Diana Ross has a- you guessed it- VAGINA. So since there was so much talk about who had gone inside her VAGINA, I referenced the five folks who came out of it. So what? Vagina is not a bad word. VAGINA. VAGINA. VAGINA. Childbirth is not a bad thing. VAGINA. VAGINA. VAGINA. Btw, if folks aren't shocked by a discussion about the sexual history of a GRANDMOTHER, they surely aren't going to be shocked by my use of the word VAGINA. VAGINA. PENIS. [[Thought I was going to say VAGINA again, didn't cha?:D) Now that I've had to stoop to middle school level, I'm going to officially crawl back up the maturity ladder and respectfully ask that the rest of you follow me. Or lead the way. As long as we all get there. Thanks.

There are women on this forum...REAL women and they may take offense. You don't have to use that word. For what? To defend woman who would never defend you? A woman that did not defend herself and sue the author of that and other books? Come on, you cannot be that dumb!

thanxal
06-20-2017, 10:47 PM

Well done Ran Ran. Very good points, indeed.

marv2
06-20-2017, 10:48 PM
Well done Ran Ran. Very good points, indeed.

Says another Diana Ross fan!

thanxal
06-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Says another Diana Ross fan!
Yes indeed. Your point being what?

I'm also a Barbara Martin, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence, Sherrie Payne and Susaye Greene fan.

marv2
06-20-2017, 11:36 PM
Yes indeed. Your point being what?

I'm also a Barbara Martin, Mary Wilson, Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong, Jean Terrell, Lynda Laurence, Sherrie Payne and Susaye Greene fan.

That there is too much going on in the World right now to worry about Diana Ross' feelings, fans and foolishness. The thread was about Florence Ballard. Someone brought up a recent book about the Supremes that mentioned some of what went on at Motown with Diana Ross and then things get slimy in an effort to strike out at others. The person that wrote the book is not even on this forum.

vgalindo
06-20-2017, 11:53 PM
That there is too much going on in the World right now to worry about Diana Ross' feelings, fans and foolishness. The thread was about Florence Ballard. Someone brought up a recent book about the Supremes that mentioned some of what went on at Motown with Diana Ross and then things get slimy in an effort to strike out at others. The person that wrote the book is not even on this forum.
Well Marv I believe it was you who provided several links to what this author had to say about Diana Ross.
You should practice what you preach and stop worrying about what a woman did or did not do over 50 years ago!! Let it go.

marv2
06-21-2017, 01:03 AM
Well Marv I believe it was you who provided several links to what this author had to say about Diana Ross.
You should practice what you preach and stop worrying about what a woman did or did not do over 50 years ago!! Let it go.

Evidently you cannot read and comprehend at the same time. The links were to show proof that the story surrounding that particular book reaches far and wide and there is nothing you few Diane Ross fans here at SDF can do about it! [[Go tell the rest of the internet that might have read all of those blogs and more to just let it go LOL!!!)
Learn to read for comprehension before you attempt to start an argument!
I know how nasty she was. It's youngsters like yourself are the reason why these books are written.

marv2
06-21-2017, 01:07 AM

One more thing. Read post #12 before you attempt to come for me......

vgalindo
06-21-2017, 03:46 AM
Evidently you cannot read and comprehend at the same time. The links were to show proof that the story surrounding that particular book reaches far and wide and there is nothing you few Diane Ross fans here at SDF can do about it! [[Go tell the rest of the internet that might have read all of those blogs and more to just let it go LOL!!!)
I know how nasty she was. It's youngsters like yourself are the reason why these books are written.
Oh you know how nasty she was. We'll I hate to burst your bubble. But believe me Mary was no saint!! As well as all the other Motown stars.

vgalindo
06-21-2017, 04:05 AM
Oh and don't make me laugh. All those links weren't necessary. You only provided those links to give you some type of satisfaction.

thanxal
06-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Get over it, Marv.

I don't share your binary view of the group where I have to hate one member to admire the others. Most fans don't either. Obsess on something else and let this forum be about the music.

marv2
06-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Get over it, Marv.

I don't share your binary view of the group where I have to hate one member to admire the others. Most fans don't either. Obsess on something else and let this forum be about the music.

Get over what? You need to stop whining.

thanxal
06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Get over what? You need to stop whining.
You need to listen to your own advice. Stop hijacking every Supremes post with your unhealthy obsession with Diane.

marv2
06-21-2017, 10:21 AM
You need to listen to your own advice. Stop hijacking every Supremes post with your unhealthy obsession with Diane.

Just stop whining.

thanxal
06-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Just stop whining.
Knock it off. I never addressed you until you inserted yourself.

RanRan79
06-21-2017, 11:20 AM
There are women on this forum...REAL women and they may take offense. You don't have to use that word. For what? To defend woman who would never defend you? A woman that did not defend herself and sue the author of that and other books? Come on, you cannot be that dumb!

Just like you told Tom to let me speak for myself, how about you let any woman who was offended by my use of the word VAGINA let her feelings be known. Of course I'm sure you're not really so dumb that you believe any woman would be offended by the word VAGINA. As a man, are you offended by the word PENIS? Be real, you weren't bothered by that word, you were bothered that you were a hit dog that had to holler. You literally took time out of your day to find links to random gossip about a 70+ year old GRANDMOTHER'S sexual history. Even you realize how sick that is, but rather than admit your personal issue you decided to focus on my use of the word VAGINA. Come on Marv, you're better than that.

RanRan79
06-21-2017, 11:42 AM

How do you know how nasty she was? From what you've posted before, you were a mere child during the 60s. Either you're a liar or your childhood was very warped and you were watching things you had no business. You keep trying to defend yourself in this thing but it's indefensible. No one- and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I know I certainly didn't- called you out for your opinion. A couple of us wrote about how disgusted we were with the rumor that Diana Ross' success is a result of her sexual history. I also detailed why such gossip is nonsense. You chose to follow those opinions up with links to random internet gossip, as if we would see the links and go "well if it's on the internet, it must be true". Perhaps you should seek to find what it is about Diana Ross that bothers you so much that you attack folks the way that you do when they don't think like you think. Why are you so interested in Diana Ross' sexual activity anyway? Maybe we should inquire into your sexual history? Of course I wouldn't dare. There is something sick about someone so interested in the sexual activity of someone else. You're no different than the folks who make stupid comments about Mary Wilson's sexual history. Perhaps next time that subject comes up you'll post internet links about it as well.

RanRan79
06-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Marv was right about one thing though. This started out as a Florence Ballard thread and devolved into nonsense. Luke thanks for posting and I apologize for being one of the ones to derail the conversation. This clip is a prime example of the truth in the attraction of the public to the Supremes being the total group and not just the lead singer. Flo's personality was always a plus.

marv2
06-21-2017, 11:53 AM
How do you know how nasty she was?

As if I would tell you! Go somewhere or close your eyes. LOL! There is no way.

Roberta75
06-21-2017, 12:00 PM

Preach preach p[reach my friend.

RanRan79
06-21-2017, 10:12 PM
As if I would tell you! Go somewhere or close your eyes. LOL! There is no way.

You know I wouldn't believe what you say anyway. Lol Gladys said it best: believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Or in this case, read. LOL

Bluebrock
06-22-2017, 02:42 AM
Oh you know how nasty she was. We'll I hate to burst your bubble. But believe me Mary was no saint!! As well as all the other Motown stars.
That is oh so true. Mary Wilson had a very "eventful" love life to say the least, along with many other Motown artists but surely we need to be concentrating on the music?

thanxal
06-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Preach preach p[reach my friend.
Thank you Roberta.

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 09:53 AM
but surely we need to be concentrating on the music?

I agree and I think it's time we redirected the thread back to it's original subject. The folks on the right side will stay on the right side, and the folks on the wrong side will remain there as well and no amount of posting is going to change any of our positions.

thanxal
06-22-2017, 10:14 AM
21 and they were concerned about marriage. How things have changed.

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 11:52 AM
21 and they were concerned about marriage. How things have changed.

Yes indeed.

thanxal
06-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Yes indeed.
To be sure... things have changed for the better. I found it quite sexist that women in their early 20s who were so talented were still prescribed by "society" to think of marriage as their first duty. But that was the 60s so it was what it was.

RanRan79
06-22-2017, 08:09 PM
To be sure... things have changed for the better. I found it quite sexist that women in their early 20s who were so talented were still prescribed by "society" to think of marriage as their first duty. But that was the 60s so it was what it was.

You have a point. I doubt the Temptations were having to answer questions about their desire for marriage at the same time. But it's interesting that all three Supremes seemed to never waiver on their desire to one day wed and have children. I wonder if the right guy had come along for any of them during that 65-66 time if she would have given up music for family like members of some of the other girl groups.

thanxal
06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
You have a point. I doubt the Temptations were having to answer questions about their desire for marriage at the same time. But it's interesting that all three Supremes seemed to never waiver on their desire to one day wed and have children. I wonder if the right guy had come along for any of them during that 65-66 time if she would have given up music for family like members of some of the other girl groups.
Yes, possibly. But like most other things on this forum, its only conjecture. I accept that society in the 60s and 70s treated women like this, but I don't like it. Florence could have been a superstar had sexism not relegated her strong and sassy personality to the background and had someone cared about her rape. Mary could have gone on to much more soulful 70s ballads as a solo artist. Diane would not have been subjected to sexism that forced her to near anorexia to maintain an "image". Martha, Betty, Annette, Rosalind and all would have been elevated rather than subjugated to the "one" girl group. And on and on. Its interesting to think what would have been. Its better to make sure such oppression never happens again. Especially since recent political crap.

floyjoy678
06-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Wish the full show of this performance would be posted. They also performed either Back In My Arms Again or Come See About Me as well from what I remember.