PDA

View Full Version : The Temptations @ Atlantic Records

test

marv2
06-03-2017, 06:54 PM
I actually liked some of the music the Tempts recorded at Atlantic Records. Here's what I can their half hearted attempt at a Disco sound at Atlantic Records. "In A Lifetime":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbWd5nvLEY

McMotown
06-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks marv2 it's the first time I've heard any of by The Temps while they were Atlantic Records.

BayouMotownMan
06-03-2017, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;390377]I actually liked some of the music the Tempts recorded at Atlantic Records. Here's what I can their half hearted attempt at a Disco sound at Atlantic Records. "In A Lifetime":

I was disappointed in their Atlantic product.
The Tempts, like the Supremes, were a product of Motown and it wasn't surprising to me and others to see non-Motown material not be accepted. Their second lp for Atlantic was produced by Brian Holland. It was a better album, but by then both the artist and producer were ice cold and not in touch with current musical trends.

Their first lp when returned to Motown, Power, was a far more satisfying album and it did well.

marv2
06-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Thanks marv2 it's the first time I've heard any of by The Temps while they were Atlantic Records.
You are most welcome McMotown. Here is my favorite cut by the Temptations during their stay at Atlantic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKPWoCDNDPU

McMotown
06-03-2017, 07:44 PM
Don't you just love there dance routines. For some reason I've missed out on The Temps form mid 70's till 84 with the Truly For You Album. So much for me been A Temps fan LOL.

marv2
06-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Their stage show was still excellent as this video will attest too. I noticed they are wearing the suits from their Midnight Special appearance with Dennis Edwards in 1975. Here the Tempts are at The Coconut Grove in 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkcrvm6zxGc

McMotown
06-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks again marv. They were still doing those moves around 87 when I first saw them at Hammersmith Odeon London. The line up then was Otis, Melvin, Richard and Ron Tyson.

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Don't you just love there dance routines. For some reason I've missed out on The Temps form mid 70's till 84 with the Truly For You Album. So much for me been A Temps fan LOL.

Oh yeah. To me, this was the best group of Temptations when it came to dancing. The moves fit the song like a glove! We even copied a few from them during this time. LOL! The "Truly For You" album was like a renaissance period for the Temptations. People all over Detroit were talking about them again when Ali-Ollie Woodson joined them! Women went absolutely nuts! LOL!

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Here is a nice cut from their first Atlantic album called "Hear to Tempt You". It has Melvin Franklin on the lead....... "I could never Stop loving You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0YqNgP3elE

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Thanks again marv. They were still doing those moves around 87 when I first saw them at Hammersmith Odeon London. The line up then was Otis, Melvin, Richard and Ron Tyson.

I am so glad you got to see them when they were still hitting it on stage! I've seen them just about every other year in 70s - early 90s. I saw that line up in 1983 when they were on the "T'N'T" tour with the Four Tops at the "Turn of the Century" in Denver.

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Louis Price is an excellent singer. I always thought he sounded similar to Jerry Butler also from Chicago.

McMotown
06-03-2017, 08:15 PM
I remember some Motown videos being released in the UK around mid 80's and of course I bought and it had a rehersal bit with Cholly Atkins teaching Ali and the rest of them some new dance moves to Lady Soul. God showing my age with videos LOL.

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Here Louis is in 2014 singing "All of You" by John Legend. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMHYQWxzYsk

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:19 PM
I remember some Motown videos being released in the UK around mid 80's and of course I bought and it had a rehersal bit with Cholly Atkins teaching Ali and the rest of them some new dance moves to Lady Soul. God showing my age with videos LOL.

OMG! There was a video of me at The Motown Exhibit at Henry Ford Museum in Deaborn, Michigan in 1995 doing the moves as instructed by Cholly Atkins! I still the still photos from it. You are not showing your age ,because you are not that old!

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:20 PM
They definitely should have had more and bigger hits at Atlantic Records because they definitely had the talent in the group at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5DyFofd0c

TomatoTom123
06-03-2017, 08:30 PM
I have never really looked into The Temptations' time at Atlantic Records... for fear of the music that was produced being awful... but now seems like a good time to start! :)

marv2
06-03-2017, 08:34 PM
You want to hear some good singing? Check out Louis Price's work out of Marvin Gaye's version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn29fAXpJqE

TomatoTom123
06-03-2017, 08:35 PM
I remember when I looked up The Tempts' 1976 song "Who Are You" [[from The Temptations Do The Temptations) I found a video of the Louis Price-led lineup performing the song live. I thought this was kinda odd because they had long since left Motown at the time of them performing it [[why promote a single for a record company you left two years ago?)... and the lead singer on the song, Dennis Edwards, was no longer with them... AND the song wasn't a even very big hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX4U2ukDSus&app=desktop

Thoughts? :)

arr&bee
06-03-2017, 08:43 PM
i actually liked some of the music the tempts recorded at atlantic records. Here's what i can their half hearted attempt at a disco sound at atlantic records. "in a lifetime":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbwd5nvleyactually if more effort had been put in this song could've done something,but i like it though.

marv2
06-03-2017, 09:02 PM
actually if more effort had been put in this song could've done something,but i like it though.

Yeah, you can tell that it was recorded way too laid back. It was almost like they really didn't want to do it, but they had to try to keep up with the latest sound which was Disco.

marv2
06-03-2017, 09:04 PM
I remember when I looked up The Tempts' 1977 song "Who Are You" [[from The Temptations Do The Temptations) I found a video of the Louis Price-led lineup performing the song live. I thought this was kinda odd because they had long since left Motown at the time of them performing it [[why promote a single for a record company you left two years ago?)... and the lead singer on the song, Dennis Edwards, was no longer with them... AND the song wasn't a even very big hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX4U2ukDSus&app=desktop

Well the song was released in 1976 so it was still considered recent and contemporary for the Temptations. This clip from 1979 they were not at all considered an oldies act because they were still releasing new music. I actually like the live version here with Louis Price on the lead than the recorded version led by Dennis. The Temptations, like the Supremes and most groups [[5th Dimension, etc.) that have gone through personnel changes still feel obligated to perform songs they recorded with past members because they are still a part of their catalogs.

TomatoTom123
06-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Well the song was released in 1976 so it was still considered recent and contemporary for the Temptations. This clip from 1979 they were not at all considered an oldies act because they were still releasing new music. I actually like the live version here with Louis Price on the lead than the recorded version led by Dennis. The Temptations, like the Supremes and most groups [[5th Dimension, etc.) that have gone through personnel changes still feel obligated to perform songs they recorded with past members because they are still a part of their catalogs.

Very true Marv. I just thought it was weird that they chose to do a song that was pretty unknown out of all the ones in their catalog. I like it though. I prefer the original studio version with Dennis on lead. :)

arr&bee
06-04-2017, 11:24 AM
You know the sad thing about the album[hear to temp you]is that they released the wrong song..[i could never stop loving you] is the one that should've been a single,i actually like the lp though but as much as i like louis price i wish that dennis had been there for songs like...let's live in peace..think for yourself...it's time for love,his voice would've put them over the top.

McMotown
06-04-2017, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;390404]Here Louis is in 2014 singing "All of You" by John Legend. Check it out:

Thanks Marv he's still got the voice. By the way can you still do those moves Cholly Atkins taught you?
And thanks Tom for the 'Who You Are' Video first time I've heard that too.

lockhartgary
06-04-2017, 01:51 PM

Here in the US that clip was on the "Temps n Tops" VHS tape, hosted by Stevie Wonder. I think it was originally broadcast on Showtime. No idea if it was on any other tape.

MIKEW-UK
06-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Louis Price is an outstanding singer and entertainer......awesome.

Here's a wonderful rendition of the song later done by Joe Simon with Louis on lead doing his soulful thing in that great baritone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS2rR8ESZ2U

MIKEW-UK
06-04-2017, 03:51 PM
And Joe's version....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtxujGh1Y1M

McMotown
06-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Here in the US that clip was on the "Temps n Tops" VHS tape, hosted by Stevie Wonder. I think it was originally broadcast on Showtime. No idea if it was on any other tape.

lockhartgary, that's the one it just come to me thanks.
Also in the late 80's a video was released one of there shows from Hammersmith Odeon if I remember rightly Billy Paul joined them on stage.

marv2
06-04-2017, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;390404]Here Louis is in 2014 singing "All of You" by John Legend. Check it out:

Thanks Marv he's still got the voice. By the way can you still do those moves Cholly Atkins taught you?
And thanks Tom for the 'Who You Are' Video first time I've heard that too.

I can still do everything. LOL!

marv2
06-04-2017, 07:09 PM

It was on Showtime back in 1986 as a part of the series Motown on Showtime.

marv2
06-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Louis Price is an outstanding singer and entertainer......awesome.

Here's a wonderful rendition of the song later done by Joe Simon with Louis on lead doing his soulful thing in that great baritone....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS2rR8ESZ2U

Louis also reminds me of Joe Simon.

arr&bee
06-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Which is why he didn't work for the temps,who always had that gruff soulful thing from david to paul to dennis to ollie,yes louis is a great singer but not for the temps style.

TomatoTom123
06-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Hey arr&bee, who do you think would have been good for The Tempts at this time, if not Louis Price?

TomatoTom123
06-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Another question: The Tempts left Motown in 1977, meanwhile former producer Norman Whitfield had established his own record label; do you think there was any possibility of the group going there? That would have been very interesting.

I do believe Junior Walker and Willie Hutch left Motown to go there.

jboy88
06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Another question: The Tempts left Motown in 1977, meanwhile former producer Norman Whitfield had established his own record label; do you think there was any possibility of the group going there? That would have been very interesting.

I do believe Junior Walker and Willie Hutch left Motown to go there.

Probably not. They were having issues with Norman's ego trips. He was more focused on Isaac Hayes-esque instrumentation than of the Tempts' vocals. Some people would called them "The Norman Whitfield Choral singers during the early 70s. I'm sure the last place Otis wanted to go was someplace with Norman Whitfield running the whole shebang.

marv2
06-04-2017, 10:30 PM
Hey arr&bee, who do you think would have been good for The Tempts at this time, if not Louis Price?

Leslie Wilson from New Birth.

marv2
06-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Probably not. They were having issues with Norman's ego trips. He was more focused on Isaac Hayes-esque instrumentation than of the Tempts' vocals. Some people would called them "The Norman Whitfield Choral singers during the early 70s. I'm sure the last place Otis wanted to go was someplace with Norman Whitfield running the whole shebang.

You are so right Jboy88. If anyone wants a good example of what you said, just listen to the long version of "Masterpiece".

nysister
06-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Louis Price is an excellent singer. I always thought he sounded similar to Jerry Butler also from Chicago.

Marv2, I thought I was the only one who thought Louis Price sound like Jerry Butler! When the Tempts appeared at the Bottom Line in New York, Louis vocal performance just reminded me so much of Jerry Butler. It was a good show that night. Do you know whatever happened to Louis, is he still singing?

nysister
06-05-2017, 12:35 PM

I had this album and actually liked it because I fell in love with the voice of Louis Price.

marv2
06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Marv2, I thought I was the only one who thought Louis Price sound like Jerry Butler! When the Tempts appeared at the Bottom Line in New York, Louis vocal performance just reminded me so much of Jerry Butler. It was a good show that night. Do you know whatever happened to Louis, is he still singing?

He's does have a Jerry Butler influenced vocal. He's still singing all over the place and he did some of those stage plays so popular with the after church crowd.

marv2
06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
I had this album and actually liked it because I fell in love with the voice of Louis Price.

He performed a great duet with Dawn Lewis of "A Different World" on the "Motown at 30" CBS TV special. I am going to try to find it.

marv2
06-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLUmldo5yE

dvus7
06-06-2017, 02:57 AM
[QUOTE=marv2;390680]Found it!

Thanks for the find, marv2.....The focus is on the dancers, and not the singers!!!!! depasse strikes AGAIN!!!!LOL!!

marv2
06-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Welcome dvus. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsfycvdyrbM

marv2
06-06-2017, 03:50 PM

they were working with lon fontaine during the atlantic period.

McMotown
06-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Welcome dvus. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsfycvdyrbM

Another good clip Marv. Does anyone know if the Temps intend to release another album?

marv2
06-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Another good clip Marv. Does anyone know if the Temps intend to release another album?

I wonder about that too since they have yet another new line-up.

McMotown
06-10-2017, 02:47 PM
I wonder about that too since they have yet another new line-up.

Hey Marv did you get there last Album 'Still here' what did you make of that? It took me a few listens before I got into it.

marv2
06-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Hey Marv did you get there last Album 'Still here' what did you make of that? It took me a few listens before I got into it.

Sorry McMotown, no I do not have their last album. I will have to find and give it a listen.

arr&bee
06-10-2017, 04:22 PM
There are folks that don't like otis,but i think that it's amazing that he has kept the temps[in their many lineups]going for 57 years..otis and the temptations forever!!

marv2
06-10-2017, 06:26 PM
There are folks that don't like otis,but i think that it's amazing that he has kept the temps[in their many lineups]going for 57 years..otis and the temptations forever!!

I for one like and respect Otis! He has kept it going all these years.

McMotown
06-10-2017, 06:27 PM

Temptations forever arr&bee. It's great Otis has kept them going, but what about Ron Tyson he's now the 2nd longest serving Temptation now, which is quite amazing.

arr&bee
06-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Wanna hear something strange,i never liked ron in the temps,yes he's been there a long time which is cool,but i always liked glenn better,i liked ron in the ethics.

marv2
06-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Wanna hear something strange,i never liked ron in the temps,yes he's been there a long time which is cool,but i always liked glenn better,i liked ron in the ethics.

You are reading my mind. Ron is a good singer no doubt, he just never seemed to be a strong enough personality to be in the Temptations in my opinion. Maybe that's why he's be able to stay in the group so long.

REDHOT
06-12-2017, 02:40 AM
The Temptations didn't hit,after they left Motown,so when they return,it was strange,now when The 4 Tops left Motown,they hit big time,i still don't understand,why they return to Motown,The Jacksons Gladys Knight and The Pips, also did good,leaving Motown. p.s can somebody help me out? when The 4 Tops,return to Motown,they had a single,that i liked,they never put it on a album, i forgot the name of it,anyone remember the name of it ? it wasn't a hit.

TomatoTom123
06-12-2017, 03:59 AM
The Temptations didn't hit,after they left Motown,so when they return,it was strange,now when The 4 Tops left Motown,they hit big time,i still don't understand,why they return to Motown,The Jacksons Gladys Knight and The Pips, also did good,leaving Motown. p.s can somebody help me out? when The 4 Tops,return to Motown,they had a single,that i liked,they never put it on a album, i forgot the name of it,anyone remember the name of it ? it wasn't a hit.

Hi REDHOT, was it "Hot Nights"...? I remember that as being released as a single but then the album in which it would have been was cancelled I believe. Don't think it was a hit either. It's a fantastic song though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-B531TgB0&app=desktop

REDHOT
06-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Thanks you Tomato Tom123,this is it, i use to play this for days lol

marv2
06-12-2017, 12:13 PM
This was from the album released when the Tops returned to Motown in 1983 [["Back Where I Belong"). I bought the album and loved it. I especially liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZ-N5h5TQY

TomatoTom123
06-12-2017, 01:32 PM
This was from the album released when the Tops returned to Motown in 1983 [["Back Where I Belong"). I bought the album and loved it. I especially liked this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWZ-N5h5TQY

Yes, that's a very nice song. I also love the B-Side of that single, "Hang", a duet with The Temptations no less...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPCit1dAXM0&app=desktop

McMotown
06-12-2017, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;392057]This was from the album released when the Tops returned to Motown in 1983 [["Back Where I Belong"). I bought the album and loved it.

I missed this album was it becase it was not released in the UK. Thanks marv and Tom for posting those tracks I do love Melvin's voice don't think anyone bass singer could have ever taken his place.

TomatoTom123
06-12-2017, 01:59 PM
I missed this album was it becase it was not released in the UK. Thanks marv and Tom for posting those tracks I do love Melvin's voice don't think anyone bass singer could have ever taken his place.

No problem, Paul. In fact, here's another one -- a fantastic mid-tempo tune...!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgJidycF-8

McMotown
06-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Thanks again Tom another excellent track.
If only Melvin, Levi, Eddie, David and Marvin Gaye had teamed up. Oo I get shivers thinking about it.

marv2
06-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Someone please start a thread about the Four Tops 80s recordings.

marv2
06-12-2017, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=marv2;392057]This was from the album released when the Tops returned to Motown in 1983 [["Back Where I Belong"). I bought the album and loved it.

Really? They did not release it in the UK? Wow. I remember that Fall of 1983 Motown release a lot of albums because of the momentum they received from the "Motown 25" TV special. I bought this one, the Temptations new one, Debarge and several others.