PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Edwards' 1977 Solo Motown Album

test

TomatoTom123
06-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Following on from the thread about C.P. Spencer's lost Motown album, I am also curious about Dennis Edwards' unreleased solo LP.....!

I believe that, when The Temptations departed from Motown in 1977 and went to Atlantic, Dennis stayed behind and recorded a solo album that remained unreleased. Can anyone confirm this?

According to bsnpubs, an album entitled Dennis Edwards [[G 978) was scheduled to be released in late 1977 but remained unissued.

I have always wondered what Motown were actually doing with Dennis from
1977 to 1980. Of course in 1980 The Tempts rejoined Motown and Dennis rejoined The Tempts.

On another note I hope Dennis is well after his becoming ill. Best wishes to you Dennis.

marv2
06-01-2017, 09:00 PM
He actually did record a solo album during that period that went unreleased. During the period, Dennis survived by doing odd jobs etc. At one point he was working laying cement with his uncle in Cleveland, Ohio.

TomatoTom123
06-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I guess he had to! Thanks for the info, Marv. :)

TomatoTom123
06-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Also, as they didn't release anything on Dennis, do you think Motown were just waiting patiently for The Tempts to come crawling back?

marv2
06-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Also, as they didn't release anything on Dennis, do you think Motown were just waiting patiently for The Tempts to come crawling back?

Motown did not know the Temptations would be back. After having less than spectacular success at Atlantic Records during the approximately 3 years the Tempts were there, they then decided to come back. But not before considering Philadelphia International Records.

heikki
06-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Hi Tom!

A few years ago I put the following quote on this forum, but I repeat it here:

Dennis: "Me and Teddy Pendergrass had decided to do a solo album... So we went to our record companies and said 'look, we know we have the voice, we wanna do an album. We wanna million dollars and we'll do the album.' Teddy's record company PIR did the album and he got a million. I did an album, which is still in the can. I had an agreement with them to pay me so much, but when I did the album, they neglected the agreement. We might see the album one day. It was mainly ballads, right on the same street as Teddy's first solo album."

If that is true, that album must be a gem!

Best regards
Heikki

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Yet again, heikki, thank you very much. That album does indeed sound fantastic. :)

masterblaster
06-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Motown did not know the Temptations would be back. After having less than spectacular success at Atlantic Records during the approximately 3 years the Tempts were there, they then decided to come back. But not before considering Philadelphia International Records.

i wouldn't have thought a move to PIR would have been a wise move for the Tempts as their first release with Atlantic was essentially a Philadelphia International release having been produced by Baker-Harris and Young.

BayouMotownMan
06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
The catalyst behind all this is Jeffrey Bowen. Throughout the sessions of the A Song For You lp Mr. Bowen showed preferred interest in the talents of Dennis much to the chagrin of Otis Williams. It caused a lot ego clashes within the group.

When Bowen was assigned the Wings Of Love lp, it caused even more problems when the lp became basically a Dennis Edwards solo album. Bowen had long been on Dennis to go solo.

After the mediocre results of Wings of Love and the disappointment of Temptations Do The Temptations, Otis and Melvin showed up unannounced at Gordy Manor with demands for a release. They had an offer from Atlantic and were not taking Dennis with them.

I remember hearing sometime around 1977 or 78 that Dennis was working on a solo lp with Bowen. If indeed Dennis did demand $1 million from Motown, then that explains why he suddenly disappeared. I can't image Teddy Pendargrass got that amount for his first solo lp either. Both were big names in the Soul market but not in the Pop market where the big sales are. It's not like when Lionel Richie broke out; because of the success of Endless Love and Richie's work with Kenny Rogers, mainstream America knew him.

Also hampering Edwards solo career was his producer marrying Bonnie Pointer and shifting his interest to her after pulling her out of the Pointer Sisters. It may likely be that some of the material on Bonnie's first solo lp had been intended for Dennis Edwards.

In any event Dennis was cut loose and quickly forgotten. When the Temptations failed badly at Atlantic, Otis approached Smokey for a return and the company wanted Dennis back in the group. And so we got it.

thommg
06-02-2017, 02:01 PM
The catalyst behind all this is Jeffrey Bowen. Throughout the sessions of the A Song For You lp Mr. Bowen showed preferred interest in the talents of Dennis much to the chagrin of Otis Williams. It caused a lot ego clashes within the group.

When Bowen was assigned the Wings Of Love lp, it caused even more problems when the lp became basically a Dennis Edwards solo album. Bowen had long been on Dennis to go solo.

After the mediocre results of Wings of Love and the disappointment of Temptations Do The Temptations, Otis and Melvin showed up unannounced at Gordy Manor with demands for a release. They had an offer from Atlantic and were not taking Dennis with them.

I remember hearing sometime around 1977 or 78 that Dennis was working on a solo lp with Bowen. If indeed Dennis did demand $1 million from Motown, then that explains why he suddenly disappeared. I can't image Teddy Pendargrass got that amount for his first solo lp either. Both were big names in the Soul market but not in the Pop market where the big sales are. It's not like when Lionel Richie broke out; because of the success of Endless Love and Richie's work with Kenny Rogers, mainstream America knew him.

Also hampering Edwards solo career was his producer marrying Bonnie Pointer and shifting his interest to her after pulling her out of the Pointer Sisters. It may likely be that some of the material on Bonnie's first solo lp had been intended for Dennis Edwards.

In any event Dennis was cut loose and quickly forgotten. When the Temptations failed badly at Atlantic, Otis approached Smokey for a return and the company wanted Dennis back in the group. And so we got it.

It sounds like Mr. Bowen just liked to try and break up successful groups! :D

BayouMotownMan
06-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Actually Tom, Mr Gordy liked to do the same

marv2
06-02-2017, 02:15 PM
It was not the "Song For You Album" in 1975, It was the "Wings of Love" album from 1976 that upset Otis Williams and the other Temptations because of the way Jeffrey Bowen turned their vocals down and was also accused of using unknown session singers in the place of the real Temptations! It started with the "Wings of Love" album. Ask Otis!

marv2
06-02-2017, 02:17 PM
i wouldn't have thought a move to PIR would have been a wise move for the Tempts as their first release with Atlantic was essentially a Philadelphia International release having been produced by Baker-Harris and Young.

Evidently, the Tempts came to the same conclusion and ended up back at Motown. Ironically, they were offered the spot as opening act for one of Diana Ross' concerts back in 1980.

Laserdk
06-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Evidently, the Tempts came to the same conclusion and ended up back at Motown. Ironically, they were offered the spot as opening act for one of Diana Ross' concerts back in 1980.

As regards Dennis's unreleased solo album from 1977, this was actually co-produced by Mike & Brenda Sutton and Harold Johnson. As far as I know Jeffrey Bowen had no involvement in it whatsoever [[that's what the UK Motown office told me at the time). The same source gave me a tracklist for the album but, unfortunately, I mislaid that many years ago but from what I remember from the track titles it sounded like a more conventional soul album and not some sort of funk workout. Only one track has been released from the album and that was "When The Lights Come Down On Love" which appeared on the Temptations' "One By One - The Best Of The Solo Years" 2 CD set issued back in 1995:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lv_p_r7-4A

If this track is anything to go by I think this vaulted LP is probably another of those lost Motown album gems.

After Dennis left or was dropped by Motown in 1978 the UK "Blues & Soul" magazine reported he had signed with Buddah and was being managed by Gladys Knight's then husband Barry Hankerson. Whether anything was recorded for Buddah I don't know.

As for the PIR interest in the Temptations in late '79, it was Gamble & Huff that courted the group and wanted the group to re-unite with Dennis, David and Eddie [[as, I think, Louis Price had left the group by then) but that possible deal fell through and, so, Smokey got the group to re-sign with Motown in early '80 and then, of course, David and Eddie came back on board two years later.

Ivor

marv2
06-02-2017, 06:13 PM
As regards Dennis's unreleased solo album from 1977, this was actually co-produced by Mike & Brenda Sutton and Harold Johnson. As far as I know Jeffrey Bowen had no involvement in it whatsoever [[that's what the UK Motown office told me at the time). The same source gave me a tracklist for the album but, unfortunately, I mislaid that many years ago but from what I remember from the track titles it sounded like a more conventional soul album and not some sort of funk workout. Only one track has been released from the album and that was "When The Lights Come Down On Love" which appeared on the Temptations' "One By One - The Best Of The Solo Years" 2 CD set issued back in 1995:-

If this track is anything to go by I think this vaulted LP is probably another of those lost Motown album gems.

After Dennis left or was dropped by Motown in 1978 the UK "Blues & Soul" magazine reported he had signed with Buddah and was being managed by Gladys Knight's then husband Barry Hankerson. Whether anything was recorded for Buddah I don't know.

As for the PIR interest in the Temptations in late '79, it was Gamble & Huff that courted the group and wanted the group to re-unite with Dennis, David and Eddie [[as, I think, Louis Price had left the group by then) but that possible deal fell through and, so, Smokey got the group to re-sign with Motown in early '80 and then, of course, David and Eddie came back on board two years later.

Ivor

Ivor, I never heard of Jeffrey Bowen producing a solo album for Dennis Edwards either. Thanks for providing the information on who actually did produce the Dennis Edwards album, Mike & Brenda Sutton and Harold Johnson. I remember when they were considering going to PIR with Gamble& Huff. I personally did not like that idea. I felt that they were going to totally lose their sound ,the sound of the Temptations.

It is ironic that Smokey was instrumental in getting the Tempts re-signed to Motown. It was he that help negotiate their exit with their name.

marv2
06-02-2017, 06:15 PM

Dennis did not work on a solo album with Jeffrey Bowen. I don't want to get too deep into it, but Jeffrey Bowen had a "problem".

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Ivor

Wow, this is news to me! Thank you Ivor. So Dennis went solo and Jeffrey Bowen didn't even produce him!

I believe "When The Lights" was written by Kathy Wakefield and Michael Sutton, and I assume, produced by Michael & Brenda Sutton. It doesn't sound like a Jeffrey Bowen production. It is, I should say, fantastic!

There is another track called "Soulmate" which I have seen credited to both 'Dennis Edwards', and 'The Temptations' and also 'Dennis Edwards & The Temptations'... it is from around the same time as "When The Lights" I believe. "Soulmate" was a Jeffrey Bowen production though. It is also superb!

I had no idea Dennis actually left Motown in 1978. That might explain what Motown were doing with him at this time: nothing, 'cause he wasn't there! Interesting.

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Hi Tom!

A few years ago I put the following quote on this forum, but I repeat it here:

Dennis: "Me and Teddy Pendergrass had decided to do a solo album... So we went to our record companies and said 'look, we know we have the voice, we wanna do an album. We wanna million dollars and we'll do the album.' Teddy's record company PIR did the album and he got a million. I did an album, which is still in the can. I had an agreement with them to pay me so much, but when I did the album, they neglected the agreement. We might see the album one day. It was mainly ballads, right on the same street as Teddy's first solo album."

If that is true, that album must be a gem!

Best regards
Heikki

Hi heikki, can I ask, was Dennis being literal when he said he said I 'wanna million dollars' for a solo album? That does seem a lot.

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Dennis did not work on a solo album with Jeffrey Bowen. I don't want to get too deep into it, but Jeffrey Bowen had a "problem".

Hey Marv, you can't leave us on a cliffhanger like that! Lol! Could you explain a wee bit more? :)

marv2
06-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Hey Marv, you can't leave us on a cliffhanger like that! Lol! Could you explain a wee bit more? :)

I am sorry but I cannot for what should be obvious reasons. It's really not important to this topic of Dennis' canned 1st solo album.

Oh did you know that Marvin Gaye was to produce Mary Wilson that same year but it never materialized due to Marvin being swamped with his own recording work. I almost guarantee you someone is going to come to this thread and try to make a big stink out of that fact. Watch!

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 08:55 PM
I am sorry but I cannot for what should be obvious reasons. It's really not important to this topic of Dennis' canned 1st solo album.

Oh did you know that Marvin Gaye was to produce Mary Wilson that same year but it never materialized due to Marvin being swamped with his own recording work. I almost guarantee you someone is going to come to this thread and try to make a big stink out of that fact. Watch!

Oh ok... a personal problem kind of thing...

Wait, Marv, why would someone make a stink out of that fact? Why is it even relevant? As you said this is about Dennis' canned 1st solo album...!!!! :)

marv2
06-02-2017, 09:48 PM
Oh ok... a personal problem kind of thing...

Wait, Marv, why would someone make a stink out of that fact? Why is it even relevant? As you said this is about Dennis' canned 1st solo album...!!!! :)

Because some people are just stupid and like to start arguments for the sake of arguing. They will try to claim that it is not true when I know that it was true.

I mentioned Marvin producing Mary's first solo album because it was suppose to also happen in 1977. She being a former Supreme, while Dennie being a former Temptation I kind of thought it related in a not so far out way.

TomatoTom123
06-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Because some people are just stupid and like to start arguments for the sake of arguing. They will try to claim that it is not true when I know that it was true.

I mentioned Marvin producing Mary's first solo album because it was suppose to also happen in 1977. She being a former Supreme, while Dennie being a former Temptation I kind of thought it related in a not so far out way.

Yea, I guess so. I hope not though.

Oh, ok, that makes sense. That would have been an interesting album.

heikki
06-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Hi Tom!

He was having breakfast, when I interviewed him :-).
I don't think you can take that million dollars too literally.

Best regards
Heikki

jsmith
06-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Yep, Dennis quit the Temptations, coz he was the lead singer but still on a small monthly salary no matter how well his / their records sold. He also quit the music biz as he was so pissed, moved to Cleveland & worked with relatives [[construction type work).
After a while, he decided this wasn't really for him, so he hooked up with some local singers / musicians [[much of Truth) and started playing live shows. The group was managed by Bobby Massey & cut some great sides back in Cleveland. With Dennis, the guys wrote a song "Coming Home" [[eventually released on the group by Devaki in 1980). The Temptations also cut a very very similar song for Gordy in 1980 -- "I'm Coming Home".... guess Dennis took it back with him to Detroit.

TomatoTom123
06-03-2017, 05:47 AM
Hi Tom!

He was having breakfast, when I interviewed him :-).
I don't think you can take that million dollars too literally.

Best regards
Heikki

Haha... thanks heikki

Laserdk
06-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Wow, this is news to me! Thank you Ivor. So Dennis went solo and Jeffrey Bowen didn't even produce him!

I believe "When The Lights" was written by Kathy Wakefield and Michael Sutton, and I assume, produced by Michael & Brenda Sutton. It doesn't sound like a Jeffrey Bowen production. It is, I should say, fantastic!

There is another track called "Soulmate" which I have seen credited to both 'Dennis Edwards', and 'The Temptations' and also 'Dennis Edwards & The Temptations'... it is from around the same time as "When The Lights" I believe. "Soulmate" was a Jeffrey Bowen production though. It is also superb!

I had no idea Dennis actually left Motown in 1978. That might explain what Motown were doing with him at this time: nothing, 'cause he wasn't there! Interesting.

TomatoTom123,

Yes "When The Lights Come Down On Love" was indeed a Mike and Kathy Wakefield co-composition and was produced by Mike Sutton and was recorded in January 1977. "Soulmate" is, indeed, superb and was co-written by Jeffrey Bowen, Suzanne DePasse and Jeffrey's sidekick Eddie Hazel and was recorded in October 1974. This tune was actually a bonafide Temptations' track and was an outtake from "A Song For You" album so I've no idea why Motown decided to include it on that "One By One - Solo Years" anthology.

Ivor

TomatoTom123
06-03-2017, 09:20 AM
TomatoTom123,

Yes "When The Lights Come Down On Love" was indeed a Mike and Kathy Wakefield co-composition and was produced by Mike Sutton and was recorded in January 1977. "Soulmate" is, indeed, superb and was co-written by Jeffrey Bowen, Suzanne DePasse and Jeffrey's sidekick Eddie Hazel and was recorded in October 1974. This tune was actually a bonafide Temptations' track and was an outtake from "A Song For You" album so I've no idea why Motown decided to include it on that "One By One - Solo Years" anthology.

Ivor

Yes, that is rather confusing! "Soulmate" did sound like a Temptations track... it has a similar feel to the ballad "Memories" from A Song For You.

So hopefully there is a whole album's worth of tracks like "When The Lights Come Down"... :)

marv2
06-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Yep, Dennis quit the Temptations, coz he was the lead singer but still on a small monthly salary no matter how well his / their records sold. He also quit the music biz as he was so pissed, moved to Cleveland & worked with relatives [[construction type work).
After a while, he decided this wasn't really for him, so he hooked up with some local singers / musicians [[much of Truth) and started playing live shows. The group was managed by Bobby Massey & cut some great sides back in Cleveland. With Dennis, the guys wrote a song "Coming Home" [[eventually released on the group by Devaki in 1980). The Temptations also cut a very very similar song for Gordy in 1980 -- "I'm Coming Home".... guess Dennis took it back with him to Detroit.

Thank you JSmith!

Philles/Motown Gary
06-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Ivor
WOW, Ivor! I had never heard Dennis' "When The Lights Come Down On Love" before. Even the intro on that track is beautiful! Gotta wonder how it slipped past me after all these years. I'm so glad you provided the link and accompanying track list. Thanks to you, I just ordered a new copy of The Tempts "One By One" CD set! - Gary

McMotown
06-03-2017, 02:01 PM
Great thread, this is all news to me. I Just assumed Dennis first album was Don't Look Any Further never new he had 1 in the vaults hopefully one day it will be released.
Maybe one day Dennis will write his biography.

jsmith
06-03-2017, 02:30 PM
The Truth 45 out of Cleveland [[Dennis gets co-writer credit) ...

BayouMotownMan
06-03-2017, 05:18 PM
It was not the "Song For You Album" in 1975, It was the "Wings of Love" album from 1976 that upset Otis Williams and the other Temptations because of the way Jeffrey Bowen turned their vocals down and was also accused of using unknown session singers in the place of the real Temptations! It started with the "Wings of Love" album. Ask Otis!

Marv, I refer you to page 168 of the original hardback release of Otis William's book "Temptations" where he clearly outlines that during the recording sessions of "A Song For You" he nearly came to blows with Jeffrey Bowen. Bowen expressed dissatisfaction with the group and stated "I'm used to working with Chairman of the Board," a statement that upset Williams so much he had an anxiety attack.

If you need any help with the big words Marv get back to us

marv2
06-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Marv, I refer you to page 168 of the original hardback release of Otis William's book "Temptations" where he clearly outlines that during the recording sessions of "A Song For You" he nearly came to blows with Jeffrey Bowen. Bowen expressed dissatisfaction with the group and stated "I'm used to working with Chairman of the Board," a statement that upset Williams so much he had an anxiety attack.

If you need any help with the big words Marv get back to us

I have a Master's Degree. I will not need any help and you need to listen or read for comprehension more....... Learn to post facts more so than just your opinion and you'll be off to a good start.

BayouMotownMan
06-03-2017, 05:25 PM
The fact is in Otis' book. What does your having an imaginary degree have to do with being wrong? The problems began on the first Bowen lp, not the last

Circa 1824
06-04-2017, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=jsmith;390264]Yep, Dennis quit the Temptations, coz he was the lead singer but still on a small monthly salary no matter how well his / their records sold.

I am curious what a small monthly salary was.

RanRan79
06-04-2017, 10:45 AM
"When the Lights Come Down On Love" is fantastic. Dennis could've definitely been in the same league as Teddy P releasing gems like this. What was Motown's problem? [[Rhetorical question)

BayouMotownMan
06-04-2017, 11:54 AM
"When the Lights Come Down On Love" is fantastic. Dennis could've definitely been in the same league as Teddy P releasing gems like this. What was Motown's problem? [[Rhetorical question)

Marvin Gaye was a major sex symbol during this period, to a lesser degree so was Smokey. Coming up fast in the ranks were Rick James and Lionel Richie. There just wasn't a place really for Dennis.

But he made his mark with the Don't Look Any Further lp years later and it is one of the best Motown 80s albums. Dennis' bad boy image made managing him difficult. Also, he didn't write and produce his own music like the other male artists did.

jboy88
06-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Wasn't Dennis under a separate contract from the rest of the Temptations? It always looked as though Dennis would of been out of the group when they left the label [[even without the internal conflict). This was the case when the Spinners left Motown, and they had to replace GC Cameron. Cameron was still bond the label while the rest the group chose not to renew their expired contracts.

marv2
06-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Wasn't Dennis under a separate contract from the rest of the Temptations? It always looked as though Dennis would of been out of the group when they left the label [[even without the internal conflict). This was the case when the Spinners left Motown, and they had to replace GC Cameron. Cameron was still bond the label while the rest the group chose not to renew their expired contracts.

I believe so because by the time Dennis Edwards joined the Temptations, they were already signed to Motown as a group.

dvus7
06-06-2017, 03:09 AM
Actually Tom, Mr Gordy liked to do the same

Thank you!!! bowen could not do this without Mr. Gordy's approval.

kenneth
06-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Doesn't Mary talk about the idea in "Dream Girl?" As I recall, she visited Marvin when he was living in Belgium and expressed that she wished he would produce an album for her. I don't recall more about the passage, but my recollection is it was just an expressed wish on her part, not anything which was in the planning stages.

marv2
06-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Doesn't Mary talk about the idea in "Dream Girl?" As I recall, she visited Marvin when he was living in Belgium and expressed that she wished he would produce an album for her. I don't recall more about the passage, but my recollection is it was just an expressed wish on her part, not anything which was in the planning stages.

that visit was in 1981. it was for personal reasons not professional.

kenneth
06-06-2017, 10:39 AM
that visit was in 1981. it was for personal reasons not professional.

But doesn't she talk about the idea of him producing her? I thought I remembered that.

marv2
06-06-2017, 11:22 AM
But doesn't she talk about the idea of him producing her? I thought I remembered that.

perhaps in supreme faith

McMotown
06-09-2017, 07:01 PM
I've been speaking to Tom and I never realised that Dennis Ha not had his Coolin' Out album releasedon CD. Hopefully someone will put it right soon.

marv2
06-09-2017, 08:03 PM
I've been speaking to Tom and I never realised that Dennis Ha not had his Coolin' Out album releasedon CD. Hopefully someone will put it right soon.

You I hate to admit it , but I did not buy album. I just assumed I could buy it anytime. Now I want to hear it all these years later.

marv2
06-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Dennis Edwards and "My Aphrodisiac"from the lp "Don't Look Any Further":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR31AX91h6g

marv2
06-09-2017, 08:07 PM
"Coolin' Out":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXlZKrqp6k

BayouMotownMan
06-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Coolin' Out was an ok lp, not nearly as good as Don't Look Any Further. Motown drug its feet on a follow up to DLAF and interest in Edwards had evaporated. There was no promotion and Motown dropped him shortly after. He did a great version of Otis Redding's Try A Little Tenderness and the first single, Amanda, was probably the best track. It was a failed first single off the lp.

honest man
06-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Dennis Edwards my fave Temptation,hope he is doing well now,cheers.

TomatoTom123
10-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Today I heard Teddy Pendergrass’ “Turn Off The Lights” and it reminded me of Dennis’ “When The Lights Come Down On Love”... especially since Dennis actually compared himself to Teddy... and both are brilliant! :)

Circa 1824
10-15-2017, 08:13 PM
How in tarnation do you go from being lead singer of one of the biggest groups and doing 2 major TV specials with Diana Ross to being a construction worker in Cleveland? There has to be more to this story.

Roberta75
10-15-2017, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=kenneth;390857]But doesn't she talk about the idea of him producing her? I thought I remembered that.[/QUOTE

marys spoken about it but Marvin hadnt ever mentioned it before passed now so its marys word against the late Marvin Gaye. I dont think we will ever know the truth imo.

RanRan79
10-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Today I heard Teddy Pendergrass’ “Turn Off The Lights” and it reminded me of Dennis’ “When The Lights Come Down On Love”... especially since Dennis actually compared himself to Teddy... and both are brilliant! :)

Lights and lights...sure. Other than that nothing about one song reminds me of the other.:p "When the Lights Come Down" is very good, but on my personal chart it doesn't even come close to the masterpiece that is "Turn Off the Lights".

TomatoTom123
10-16-2017, 11:35 AM
How in tarnation do you go from being lead singer of one of the biggest groups and doing 2 major TV specials with Diana Ross to being a construction worker in Cleveland? There has to be more to this story.

Mmm, good question Circa. Maybe there is :)

TomatoTom123
10-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Lights and lights...sure. Other than that nothing about one song reminds me of the other.:p "When the Lights Come Down" is very good, but on my personal chart it doesn't even come close to the masterpiece that is "Turn Off the Lights".

Oh I see how it is RanRan :p

mysterysinger
11-14-2017, 09:06 AM
As far as I know, the "Coolin' Out" album has yet to see a CD release though all but 2 tracks, I think, have seen CD release on Dennis Edwards "The Essential Collection". Have the 2 missing tracks been released on any other CDs?
"State Of Limbo"
"Wrap You"

TomatoTom123
11-14-2017, 12:28 PM
As far as I know, the "Coolin' Out" album has yet to see a CD release though all but 2 tracks, I think, have seen CD release on Dennis Edwards "The Essential Collection". Have the 2 missing tracks been released on any other CDs?
"State Of Limbo"
"Wrap You"

Hey mysterysinger, I don't believe they have. I didn't realise how many of the Coolin' Out tracks were on Dennis' Essential Collection CD though.

Well, the CD says “Essential” but I’m not sure how they could not include "Wrap You" when it's just so absolutely wonderful :)

[[I would normally insert a video of it here but there ain't one...)

glencro
11-17-2017, 05:18 PM

I believe that Ruth Pointer wrote about that problem in her book