PDA

View Full Version : Beatles Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary release

test

theboyfromxtown
05-26-2017, 02:21 AM
Who has it?

ralpht
05-26-2017, 09:46 AM
Wow, John. That is a lot for me to take in all at once. 50 years......

theboyfromxtown
05-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Tell me about it Ralph. Looking at the people who were buying it - clearly they are having the same thoughts!. Interesting it's only men that are buying. Yet, as you know in those days, it was the girls who were doing all the screaming and fawning.

I have now seen all the versions. The box set costing £110 is easily the nicest. HMV in Oxford Street are selling it for £109.99.

Circa 1824
05-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Sgt. Pepper was played almost non-stop in my house growing up. Only the Supremes' albums could push it off the turn table.

theboyfromxtown
05-27-2017, 03:23 AM
It was played non-stop on UK radio. However, us Brits had the Pirate stations so they was always another station to listen to.

soulster
05-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Tell me about it Ralph. Looking at the people who were buying it - clearly they are having the same thoughts!. Interesting it's only men that are buying. Yet, as you know in those days, it was the girls who were doing all the screaming and fawning.

The males were always interested in The Beatles. Here in the U.S., the band, and the rest of the British Invasion, represented a turn away from the dull mess he were being subjected to in the early 60s. Music rocked again, and the fact that these guys played guitars inspired legions of teenagers to start their own rock bands, hence the term "garage rock". If you look at all that early concert footage, you do see legions of screaming and crying girls, but you also see guys digging the music, too.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, and you know I bough this on day one. I only got the 2-CD deluxe set because I can't afford the boxed set with the hardback book, the DVD and blue ray, and all the extras. Oh, I could buy it, but I have bills to pay.

My standard is the mono mix of this album, and that is what Giles Martin attempted to do with this new remix: emulate the mono mix. I think he succeeded in that endeavor with all but two songs.

I'm very happy with this new stereo remix because I did not like the original stereo mix. I thought it sounded weak, and the mono was much better - the way the Beatles intended. John and Ringo approved of this new version. They love it.

I only grew up on The Beatles as they were played on the radio in the 60s. My family mainly listened to soul and jazz music in the 60s. My sister and I had to get our pop music fix from the radio and American Bandstand. I didn't own any of their music until the early 80s. Today, my prized beatles possession is the mono boxed set. It was the way the band wanted us to hear them.

TomatoTom123
05-29-2017, 05:15 AM
soulster! Where ya been, man? Must have been several months since I last saw you posting :) :rolleyes:

soulster
05-29-2017, 04:02 PM
soulster! Where ya been, man? Must have been several months since I last saw you posting :) :rolleyes:

I took a break from this place because I knew politics was going to be discussed, and after the installment of Donald Chump into office, I was too pissed to talk about it.

I did post at least once between then and now.

I decided to come in to check out any discussion of the Sgt. Pepper remix, and looking through the current threads, it's still the same ol', same ol'...this just isn't my kind of place. I like to get into the details of how recordings are made and sound. The people here aren't like that.

Anyway, thanks for the shout-out!

theboyfromxtown
05-29-2017, 06:15 PM
I ordered the deluxe set over 6 weeks ago on Amazon who had the nerve to tell me the night before release on Friday that they were not shipping it until 2 days later on Sunday and I wouldn't get it until the following Tuesday. I cancelled my order and decided to go and buy it in HMV. Amazon refused to accept my cancellation so when it comes tomorrow, I will refuse to accept it. I'm not happy about it.

I went to HMV Oxford Street to buy it. Sadly the display was awful and the deluxe set was not even there for all to see; it was hidden behind the counter. Punters had to use a 12" square poster to see what was in that set. The cost was £110 - £10 more than the RRP.

Interesting that back in the 60's, the Beatles were the darlings of teenage girls....but the ones buying the new releases were all blokes. Had a nice chat with a few Beatles fans there......all bought the album at the time and all were over 60! LOLOL

soulster
05-29-2017, 07:49 PM
That female attraction went away by the time of Sgt. Pepper.

TomatoTom123
05-29-2017, 09:27 PM
I took a break from this place because I knew politics was going to be discussed, and after the installment of Donald Chump into office, I was too pissed to talk about it.

I did post at least once between then and now.

I decided to come in to check out any discussion of the Sgt. Pepper remix, and looking through the current threads, it's still the same ol', same ol'...this just isn't my kind of place. I like to get into the details of how recordings are made and sound. The people here aren't like that.

Anyway, thanks for the shout-out!

Hey, soulster, I get it. I remember, you're an audiophile!

Nice to see you back here though, even if you don't stay. I also remember and long for those pre-Trump days... :rolleyes:

And you're welcome! You remember me, right? TomatoTom...? Lol

theboyfromxtown
05-30-2017, 07:16 AM
That female attraction went away by the time of Sgt. Pepper.

Same in the UK - it had tailed off big time by the time of Sgt Pepper.

Motown Eddie
05-31-2017, 04:50 PM
I have my copy of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper [[the 4CD/1DVD/1Blu-ray version) and I'm loving it. Remember fondly when the album first came out and all the radio stations were playing songs from it. Still a milestone in music.

jsmith
06-03-2017, 04:32 AM
BIG TV documentary on BBC2 tonight. All about the LP & how it came to be in it's released form. Loads of previously unheard clips of the tracks [[not the released versions but early ones).
No doubt the prog will also end up getting shown in the US but [[even though I'm not much of a Beatles music fan anymore), I'll certainly be watching the BBC tonight.
... The Beatles will always have a small place in my heart for opening up the world of soul & Motown music to me back in 63/64/65.