PDA

View Full Version : "The Spell" [[1983 Album by Syreeta)

test

longtimefan
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Syreeta released an album in 1983 produced by Jermaine Jackson. The Spell has not been released on CD to date. I have searched the net [[including Don't Forget the Motor City) in an effort to find the name[[s) of the composer[[s) for each track on the album.

I can only find one [[see below). Can anyone tell me the composer[[s) of the other seven tracks?

1. Forever is Not Enough* [[Composer: Syreeta Wright)
2. [[You Are) The Spell
3. Freedom*
4. To Know
5. Freddie Um Ready
6. Once Love Touches Your Life
7. Fall Apart
8. The Other Me

*Stevie Wonder on Synthesizer

Starguard4
01-20-2011, 04:14 AM
"To Know" is a cover of The Jackson 5's 1972 original, on the "Lookin' Through The Windows" album.

longtimefan
01-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Starguard4! Every detail helps me in my search. I was hoping that someone on the Forum owned the vinyl album and would be able to jot down the compuser[[s) for the following tracks:
-[[You Are) The Spell
-Freedom
-To Know
-Freddie Um Ready
-Once Love Touches Your Life
-Fall Apart [[recorded by Jackson 5, also)
-The Other Me

soulwally
01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
longtime: I'll be back with you in a few hours with what you want - I got the album as a review copy in the Uk. Think I must have played it... err once! Not to my liking, and I'd like to bet I won't like it when I dig it out! Because you know I've just got to listen to it now you've brought it up!

theboyfromxtown
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM
soulwally

Hope it's not a white label......hahahahahahahaha

longtimefan
01-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks , Soulwally! I know the information about the composers is on the LP's back cover. I found a scan of the back cover on the net but it was tiny and indistinct! :-)

I have had my interest in Syreeta renewed recently because I just purchased/received her album Set My Love in Motion from Funky Town Grooves [[released with Motown approval). It's a nice release to own.

http://funkytowngrooves.com/FULL-Reissue-Catalogue/56/-Syreeta-Set-My-Love-In-Motion_Expanded/3075

soulstevie
01-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Here are the composers:
Forever is not enough = Syreeta
[[You are) The spell = Syreeta, Harold Barney
Freedom = Syreeta, Greg Poree, Michael Scott Henderson
To know = The Corporation [[Fonce Mizell, Deke Richards, Freddie Perren, Berry Gordy)
Freddie um ready = Jermaine Jackson, Syreeta
One love touches your life = Jermaine Jackson, Elliot Willensky
Fall apart = Syreeta, Curtis Robertson Jr., Harold Barney
The other me = Elliot Willensky

Concerning Stevie Wonder´s participation, I didn´t find his name in the credits of my LP.

longtimefan
01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you x 1000, Soulstevie! I appreciate the time that you gave to do this for me. This is what the SDF is all about!

soulstevie
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
You´re welcome!

soulwally
01-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Sorry, Longtimefan, I forgot to look. Glad you've got your info elsewhere. No, it's not a white label, it's a regular issue. I still intend to give it a play.

Edgar
02-09-2019, 11:55 PM
Sorry, this is an old thread, but I have the album and I can add some information. The composers are correct.

This is the info for each song:
A1. FOREVER IS NOT ENOUGH
Keyboards and rhythm arrangement: Harold Barney, synthesizer: Stevie Wonder, background vocals: Syreeta
A2. [[YOU ARE) THE SPELL
Keyboards and rhythm arrangement: Harold Barney, guitar: Paul M. Jackson Jr., congas: Eddie "Bongo" Brown, background vocals: Syreeta
A3. FREEDOM
Keyboards: Harold Barney, Jerry Porcaro; synthesizer: Stevie Wonder; guitars: Paul M. Jackson Jr., Greg Poree; bass: Mike Porcaro, drums: Leon "Ndugu" Chandler, rhythm arrangement: Jermaine Jackson, Paul M. Jackson Jr.; background vocals: Syreeta
A4. TO KNOW
Electric and accoustic guitars, rhythm arrangement: Paul M. Jackson Jr., guitar: Greg Poree, bass: Mike Porcaro, Fender Rhodes: Jerry Peters, Synthesizer: Harold Barney, drums: Leon "Ndugu" Chandler, string arrangement: Gene Page, background vocals: Jermaine Jackson
B1. FREDDIE UM READY
Keyboards: Denzil A. Miller Jr., guitar: Paul M. Jackson Jr., bass: Mike Porcaro, drums: Jeff Porcaro, rhythm arrangement: Jermaine Jackson, Paul M. Jackson Jr.; background vocal: Syreeta
B2. ONCE LOVE TOUCHES YOUR LIFE
Lead and background vocals: Syreeta, Jermaine Jackson; keyboards: Steve Porcaro, Denzil A. Miller Jr.; guitar: Paul M. Jackson Jr., bass: Mike Porcaro, drums: Jeff Porcaro, rhythm arrangement: Jermaine Jackson, Paul M. Jackson Jr.; string arrangement: Gene Page
B3. FALL APART
Keyboards: Harold Barney, guitar: Paul M. Jackson Jr., bass: Mike Porcaro, drums: Jeff Porcaro, rhythm arrangement: Jermaine Jackson, Harold Barney; background vocals: Syreeta
B4. THE OTHER ME
Acoustic piano: Elliot Willensky, Fender Rhodes: Sylvester Rivers, guitar: Paul M. Jackson Jr., bass: Nathan East, drums: Ollie E. Brown, rhythm and string arrangement: Gene Page

Recording and mixing engineer: Russ Terrana
Mastered by John Matousek
Recorded in California.

TomatoTom123
02-10-2019, 09:23 PM
I have the album downloaded and recall it being pretty decent. Here it is on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Syreeta-The-Spell/release/2292173

kpitt1204
02-23-2019, 06:25 PM
I purchased that album with great hope, but was not too fond of it. I did like Fall Apart and The Other Me. Her voice is still beautiful. I haven’t played the album in years!