PDA

View Full Version : "More" by The Supremes

test

nathanj06
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Always liked hearing them sing this and have the live version. However, I always wondered if they had recorded a studio version which I recently found on iTunes from "Unreleased 1966" but appears to be mono. Is there a stereo version of this anywhere? Thanks. :)

daviddh
05-21-2017, 03:20 PM
so far, this is the only version that we have. it was just found in the vaults . I am sure they may use it again or a stereo version may appear. didn't know that version was mono.
also Talk Of The Town will eventually be released on cd expanded edition with a second show and a few bonus tracks

vgalindo
05-21-2017, 03:28 PM
so far, this is the only version that we have. it was just found in the vaults . I am sure they may use it again or a stereo version may appear. didn't know that version was mono.
also Talk Of The Town will eventually be released on cd expanded edition with a second show and a few bonus tracks
That would be great! But where did you hear this information?

longtimefan
05-21-2017, 03:42 PM
There's always hints and statements refarding forthcoming expanded editions, both casual and quasi-official. A GO GO became a reality after nearly three years! Yikes! :-)

BigAl
05-21-2017, 04:35 PM
One comment over at YouTube referred to this as being a DMC number, but if it was recorded in '66 as is stated, it would have been The Supremes, not DRATS, although I have to say I can't tell if it's Flo, Cindy, or someone else doing backup. The live versions are superior, certainly.

daviddh
05-21-2017, 07:32 PM
i like the live version better also.
as far as info, I know a little bird who told me its on the table....but its in the future. I know a lot has to do with how well A GO GO does, but the plans are to do an expanded edition on each supremes album, which now leaves,,,,upcoming SING HDH, Reflections, Love Child, Let The Sunshine In and Cream Of The Crop. and Talk OF The Town.

nathanj06
05-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Wonderful, thanks daviddh. I tend to like the live version "more" as well but also all the different types of music they sang. I'm sure this would be a DMF era song. As far as upcoming expanded versions it goes without saying we've all waited a lifetime for TCB/GIT CD & DVD. Then there's the issue of those few odds and ends like, Liverpool, C W & Pop, Sam Cooke, a complete Merry Christmas, repackaged Rodgers & Hart, Funny Girl, Farewell and an updated Greatest Hits [[please.....same cover design) a 2 - CD would cover everything but ditch "The Weight". Even a single CD holds all the singles from 1964 - 1969 including Mother Dear. I personally replaced The Composer with another song...but ditched The Weight. That way they can eliminate that mess that was Volume 3. That blue 1967 cover was exceptional. Nice thought if they can get rolling should we all live that long, we might see them. :)

mrbfly
05-22-2017, 03:10 AM
I always thought that when "More" was recorded in 1966 it was from the "From Motown To Hollywood" sessions, like "Somewhere" which was also re-recorded in 1966.

zani57
05-22-2017, 04:09 AM
as far as info, I know a little bird who told me its on the table....but its in the future. I know a lot has to do with how well A GO GO does, but the plans are to do an expanded edition on each supremes album, which now leaves,,,,upcoming SING HDH, Reflections, Love Child, Let The Sunshine In and Cream Of The Crop. and Talk OF The Town.

I wonder if there would ever be an expanded version of "Farewell" [[a.k.a. "Captured Live on Stage") with multiple nights in their last appearances together, culminating on Jan. 14, 1970.
Considering what gets unearthed out of vaults nowadays, it wouldn't surprise me if there weren't more material to mark a more complete finale for DRATS.

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
One comment over at YouTube referred to this as being a DMC number, but if it was recorded in '66 as is stated, it would have been The Supremes, not DRATS, although I have to say I can't tell if it's Flo, Cindy, or someone else doing backup. The live versions are superior, certainly.

Definitely Flo and Mary with Diana on this one. I think the studio version is just as good as the live versions.

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Well I sure hope A Go Go has risen to financial expectations. I would love expanded versions of all these you mention but it boggles my mind that Sunshine, Cream and London would get expanded versions but it's almost out of the question that Jean's Supremes albums would get the same treatment. Surely Right On was a more popular album than Sunshine and Cream.

vgalindo
05-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Well I sure hope A Go Go has risen to financial expectations. I would love expanded versions of all these you mention but it boggles my mind that Sunshine, Cream and London would get expanded versions but it's almost out of the question that Jean's Supremes albums would get the same treatment. Surely Right On was a more popular album than Sunshine and Cream.
I looked it up and Sunshine and Cream out sold Right on. I don't know if this is really accurate. Does anybody know?

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 01:07 PM
I looked it up and Sunshine and Cream out sold Right on. I don't know if this is really accurate. Does anybody know?

I might believe Sunshine outsold Right On, but Cream? That would be a shocker. Lol Despite the presence of a couple of great cuts, I really do rate Cream of the Crop as the worst Supremes album. Everything from song selection to the cover art.

honest man
05-22-2017, 03:44 PM
I might believe Sunshine outsold Right On, but Cream? That would be a shocker. Lol Despite the presence of a couple of great cuts, I really do rate Cream of the Crop as the worst Supremes album. Everything from song selection to the cover art.Wow is n't this a brilliant forum for opinions i've been play Sunshine- Cream of crop today and i have to say from68-69 that is my favourite timeframe for Drats i don't know if it was 1970 when i got into The Supremes and them albums where current and i was more familiar with these albums everything before came later[if that makes sense] Till Johnny Comes- Beginning of the end-Hey western union man-You gave me love etc i could go on ,but i love them and i pray i will be around to hear expanded versions,cheers.

honest man
05-22-2017, 03:47 PM
OH and i forgot to add Cream of the crop album cover is my all time fave . i think just goes to show,cheers.

honest man
05-22-2017, 03:52 PM
C an't be Cindy on it just came out from 66 unreleased sessions No Cindy, then maybe not Flo either- Andantes lovely song but unusual for me to prefere the live version even more but i do love TaLk of TOWN VERSION BETTER

vgalindo
05-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Wow is n't this a brilliant forum for opinions i've been play Sunshine- Cream of crop today and i have to say from68-69 that is my favourite timeframe for Drats i don't know if it was 1970 when i got into The Supremes and them albums where current and i was more familiar with these albums everything before came later[if that makes sense] Till Johnny Comes- Beginning of the end-Hey western union man-You gave me love etc i could go on ,but i love them and i pray i will be around to hear expanded versions,cheers.
I love both albums too! And love the cover of Cream of the Crop.

honest man
05-22-2017, 04:08 PM
I love both albums too! And love the cover of Cream of the Crop. Good Man ,cheers.

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Wow is n't this a brilliant forum for opinions i've been play Sunshine- Cream of crop today and i have to say from68-69 that is my favourite timeframe for Drats i don't know if it was 1970 when i got into The Supremes and them albums where current and i was more familiar with these albums everything before came later[if that makes sense] Till Johnny Comes- Beginning of the end-Hey western union man-You gave me love etc i could go on ,but i love them and i pray i will be around to hear expanded versions,cheers.

That's the beauty of it all Honest Man, we respond to these things in so many different ways. What a boring world if we all saw music and art the exact same way. My opinion about worst album only extends to Cream of the Crop. I love the Sunshine album. Sunshine, Love Child, and Join the Tempts are the three albums during the DRATS years that I keep on constant rotation.

Cream of the Crop just doesn't do it for me. My opinion about their version of "Blowin In the Wind" is similar to the one I shared in another thread about their version of "My Guy". To my ears they should have given it a treatment similar to Stevie's, and I would have chosen Flo to do Clarence Paul's part. It sounds like a demo. I can't believe it even made it onto the actual album when they had so many other first rate cuts that could have been chosen.

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 06:49 PM
C an't be Cindy on it just came out from 66 unreleased sessions No Cindy, then maybe not Flo either- Andantes lovely song but unusual for me to prefere the live version even more but i do love TaLk of TOWN VERSION BETTER

It's Florence and Mary.

daviddh
05-22-2017, 06:55 PM
i am not crazy about Let The Sunshine In .I only like about 4 songs if that ,...now Cream Of ...was very lush sounding to me and I think Diana gave some really good vocals on You Gave Me Love and Cant You See Its Me among other gems that were recorded but left off.
as far as Farewell, the entire weeks shows were taped and but things were really off that week from what I remember of what Deke , the producer was remembered of the shows. I don't want to put words in his mouth but his comments of the Farewell show are here somewhere.
there were some techincal diffictulties as well as tention of the shows themselves. I am sure that Farewell will most likely get the expanded edition with the touch of Kevin Reeves who seems to be able to work miracles. I have heard that the show was filmed as part 3 of a tv special but later cancelled in place of Diana! tv special.
but according to Deke the only filming of Farewell was Dick Clark that filmed parts of the show for broadcast on AB . some say they have seen the footage while other that are IN THE KNOW,,,say they have never seen it and are not aware of any other footage. but that is not to say it wasn't filmed.??? I think it may have been nice to have it as a tv special.

RanRan79
05-23-2017, 10:57 AM
i am not crazy about Let The Sunshine In .I only like about 4 songs if that ,...now Cream Of ...was very lush sounding to me and I think Diana gave some really good vocals on You Gave Me Love and Cant You See Its Me among other gems that were recorded but left off.

The only songs on Sunshine that I don't like are "Everyday People" and "I'm Livin In Shame". Everything else I play through. The only songs on Cream that I love are "You Gave Me Love", "Loving You Is Better Than Ever" and of course "Someday We'll Be Together". There are a couple other good ones, like "Can't You See" and "Young Folks".

RanRan79
05-23-2017, 10:58 AM
I think it may have been nice to have it as a tv special.

Another missed opportunity. It should have been a tv special and maybe that would have helped album sales.

johnjeb
05-23-2017, 11:15 AM
I might believe Sunshine outsold Right On, but Cream? That would be a shocker. Lol Despite the presence of a couple of great cuts, I really do rate Cream of the Crop as the worst Supremes album. Everything from song selection to the cover art.

Totally agree.

Coincidentally, I was just going to add Cream of the CRAP to the thread discussing which records should have been left in the vault, but I decided against posting in that thread, for now. Funny I should then see the album mentioned in this thread.

johnjeb
05-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Cream of the Crop just doesn't do it for me. My opinion about their version of "Blowin In the Wind" is similar to the one I shared in another thread about their version of "My Guy". To my ears they should have given it a treatment similar to Stevie's, and I would have chosen Flo to do Clarence Paul's part. It sounds like a demo. I can't believe it even made it onto the actual album when they had so many other first rate cuts that could have been chosen.

I haven't listened to Wind from Cream in a while. However, I think the just released version on A' Go-Go Expanded sounds better - I actually enjoy it. Or maybe because it's included in this collection is what makes it sound better.

I often try to consider what other songs would have made a better final studio album for DRATS. I think Slow Down [[even the nice version on AGG Expanded), A Little Breeze, Too Much A Little Too Soon and Mother Dear [[also from AGG Expanded) in place of the last 3 songs on each side, or particularly in place of Wind and Hey Jude.

johnjeb
05-23-2017, 11:40 AM

I hope this happens, and in the order in which you listed them, especially HDH, Reflections and Love Child.

johnjeb
05-23-2017, 12:40 PM
I just listened to all the versions of "More" on youtube. Of course I'm most familiar with the version from TOTT. They all sound good and are arranged similarly.

I don't think it would have worked on any of their albums other than the unreleased There's A Place For Us, or maybe I Hear A Symphony.

RanRan79
05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
I haven't listened to Wind from Cream in a while. However, I think the just released version on A' Go-Go Expanded sounds better - I actually enjoy it. Or maybe because it's included in this collection is what makes it sound better.

I often try to consider what other songs would have made a better final studio album for DRATS. I think Slow Down [[even the nice version on AGG Expanded), A Little Breeze, Too Much A Little Too Soon and Mother Dear [[also from AGG Expanded) in place of the last 3 songs on each side, or particularly in place of Wind and Hey Jude.

The version of "Wind" on A Go-Go definitely sounds better than the Cream version, but IMO it still sucks. I would not have chosen anything recorded prior to 1968 to replace songs on Cream. My Cream tracklist might look something like this:

Someday We'll Be Together
Can't You See It's Me
You Gave Me Love
Am I Asking Too Much
The Young Folks
You're Gonna Hear From Me

Loving You Is Better Than Ever
When It's to the Top
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
Stormy
The Beginning of the End

RanRan79
05-23-2017, 02:48 PM
I just listened to all the versions of "More" on youtube. Of course I'm most familiar with the version from TOTT. They all sound good and are arranged similarly.

I don't think it would have worked on any of their albums other than the unreleased There's A Place For Us, or maybe I Hear A Symphony.

It was recorded for their unreleased Broadway to Hollywood album. I think it would have been a great addition.

biggestfourtops fan
05-23-2017, 07:26 PM
More God awful sell out material. Berry Gordy shouldn't have been running a black company if he just does all these awful standards. Release the original material first and foremost. He is out of his mind.

daviddh
05-23-2017, 07:50 PM
I liked More . great vocals.
the point was to introduce the supremes to a larger audience. it worked.
and the rest is history.

daviddh
05-23-2017, 07:52 PM
The version of "Wind" on A Go-Go definitely sounds better than the Cream version, but IMO it still sucks. I would not have chosen anything recorded prior to 1968 to replace songs on Cream. My Cream tracklist might look something like this:

Someday We'll Be Together
Can't You See It's Me
You Gave Me Love
Am I Asking Too Much
The Young Folks
You're Gonna Hear From Me

Loving You Is Better Than Ever
When It's to the Top
Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
Stormy
The Beginning of the End
great,love it and maybe The Beginning Of the End Of love from the pink box set 2000 or Mcarthur Park. I think there were other tracks recorded during this period. love Stormy.

longtimefan
05-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Interesting! Who is your source? Thanks.

sup_fan
05-23-2017, 11:21 PM
i agree that the Sup albums with Diana got progressively weaker. i'm not sure what an expanded Cream set would include. my understanding is that it was just a handful of canned tracks thrown together to fill in an lp for Someday. and by the time it was released, the DRATS hadn't been recording for several months and the group and D were each focusing on their future projects. Who knows - perhaps they'll combine Cream and Farewell into 1 expanded set.

Berry was absolutely motivated by money, not by artistic statements or sentiment. padded lps with random covers was a move to spur on sales. they wanted immediate sales, not necessarily building an artistic vision. sure during the 60s the groups did more projects like Funny Girl, 4 Tops on Broadway, Temps in a Mellow Mood, etc. But their standard lps weren't intended for much more than quickly selling the group.

RanRan79
05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
More God awful sell out material. Berry Gordy shouldn't have been running a black company if he just does all these awful standards. Release the original material first and foremost. He is out of his mind.

Everybody was doing these standards back then. What does Black have to do with it? Gordy was in the business of making money and while you may not have dug this kind of stuff- and I can understand why since everything isn't for everybody- the man wasn't wrong because this kind of music made him more money and added to his acts' popularity. The Supremes' Symphony album was a #1 r&b and #8 pop, their Rodgers and Hart was #3 r&b and 20 pop, Four Tops On Broadway #15 r&b and #79, the Tempts Mellow Mood was #1 r&b and #13 pop. Most of those numbers translate into money. From a business standpoint Gordy's mind was right where it should have been.

RanRan79
05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
I liked More . great vocals.
the point was to introduce the supremes to a larger audience. it worked.
and the rest is history.

And there you have it.

RanRan79
05-24-2017, 02:55 PM
great,love it and maybe The Beginning Of the End Of love from the pink box set 2000 or Mcarthur Park. I think there were other tracks recorded during this period. love Stormy.

I love their version of "MacArthur Park". It would have been a worthy addition to the album.

daviddh
05-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Interesting! Who is your source? Thanks.
Andy told me that the plans is to have an expanded version of every supremes lp but not sure if that may include the 70s