PDA

View Full Version : Superior Motown Covers By Non Motown Artists

test

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Of the Motown songs covered by non Motown artists that you've heard, are there any that are superior to your taste to the original Motown cut?

For example, "Stop In the Name of Love" is supposed to be one of the quintessential Supremes songs but it's never been a favorite of mine. Margie Joseph took that song in a whole other direction and killed it. I definitely prefer Margie's version to the Supremes.

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Interesting question, RanRan!! I had a long think and actually couldn't come up with any proper covers that I preferred to the originals.....

..... except for, that is, Shalamar's "Uptown Festival", an extended disco medley of ten classic Motown songs, which doesn't really count, but is one of my all-time favourite songs and one of the greatest things ever recorded IMO!!!! :)

McMotown
05-15-2017, 09:44 AM
As much as I like the originals two spring to mind Luther Vandross's cover of ‘Reflections’ and his duet with Mariah Carey ‘Hello’

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Interesting question, RanRan!! I had a long think and actually couldn't come up with any proper covers that I preferred to the originals.....

..... except for, that is, Shalamar's "Uptown Festival", an extended disco medley of ten classic Motown songs, which doesn't really count, but is one of my all-time favourite songs and one of the greatest things ever recorded IMO!!!! :)

"Uptown Festival" is great, but I wouldn't count it because it wasn't exactly a full cover of any one song. Think harder Tom.;)

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 11:34 AM
As much as I like the originals two spring to mind Luther Vandross's cover of ‘Reflections’ and his duet with Mariah Carey ‘Hello’

Do you mean his duet on "Endless Love" with Mariah? I couldn't find "Hello" with her on it. His version of "Reflections" is very good, but i prefer the original. I'm surprised at how good his "Hello" is. I really, really like it, but I still prefer the original. I always hated the cover of "Endless Love". I prefer the original, but that aint saying much because I don't particular care for it either.

marv2
05-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Joan Osborne -"What Becomes of the Broken Hearted"

jobucats
05-15-2017, 11:35 AM
As much as I like the originals two spring to mind Luther Vandross's cover of ‘Reflections’ and his duet with Mariah Carey ‘Hello’ I agree about Luther Vandross' cover of 'Reflections.' It's compares very well to the original.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Okay, she killed it. I can't go so far as to say superior to Jimmy's version, but I really love the way she kicks it up several notches toward the end.

marv2
05-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Okay, she killed it. I can't go so far as to say superior to Jimmy's version, but I really love the way she kicks it up several notches toward the end.

I should have qualified my comment and anything else I might post in this particular thread.
I am of the mindset that if I liked something in it's original form, then it is very rare that I am going to like a remake better. I am not saying Joan did a better job than Jimmy. I am saying she did a great cover of a Motown classic. Others have tried and failed miserably. For example, I much more prefer Marvin's "How Sweet It Is...." to James Taylor's cover. I think Jr. Walker & the Allstars did a great cover of the song, but Marvin's original is the best in my opinion.

lockhartgary
05-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Blood, Sweat and Tears version of "You've Made Me So Very Happy". I like Brenda Holloway's version too, but BSAT is my favorite of the 2.

arr&bee
05-15-2017, 12:22 PM
There was the mid-seventies cover of eddie's[can i]i think it was val allen?

marv2
05-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Blood, Sweat and Tears version of "You've Made Me So Very Happy". I like Brenda Holloway's version too, but BSAT is my favorite of the 2.

I was just getting ready to post that! LOL! I agree.

marv2
05-15-2017, 12:33 PM
There was the mid-seventies cover of eddie's[can i]i think it was val allen?

I don't remember that one JAI.

sansradio
05-15-2017, 12:39 PM
I remember David Peaston's cover of "Can I?"; that was outstanding.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 12:45 PM
I should have qualified my comment and anything else I might post in this particular thread.
I am of the mindset that if I liked something in it's original form, then it is very rare that I am going to like a remake better. I am not saying Joan did a better job than Jimmy. I am saying she did a great cover of a Motown classic. Others have tried and failed miserably. For example, I much more prefer Marvin's "How Sweet It Is...." to James Taylor's cover. I think Jr. Walker & the Allstars did a great cover of the song, but Marvin's original is the best in my opinion.

I like James Taylor, but if there was ever a recording that could be considered souless, his version of "How Sweet It Is" is that one.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 12:48 PM

I prefer Brenda's vocal but I might have to give the BST arrangement the edge.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 12:50 PM
I remember David Peaston's cover of "Can I?"; that was outstanding.

That dude was a beast. His "Introducing" album got a lot of play with the adults when I was a kid.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Not a proper cover, since the original wasn't released first, but I prefer Aretha's "Until You Come Back to Me" to Stevie's, even though I think his is great. And I guess I can add Miki Howard's version, which I also prefer to Stevie's.

marv2
05-15-2017, 01:05 PM
The Doobie Brothers did a good job with Kim Weston's "Take Me in Your Arms.....".

marv2
05-15-2017, 01:06 PM
I like James Taylor, but if there was ever a recording that could be considered souless, his version of "How Sweet It Is" is that one.

It reminded me of when Pat Boone covered Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" LOL!

marv2
05-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Not a proper cover, since the original wasn't released first, but I prefer Aretha's "Until You Come Back to Me" to Stevie's, even though I think his is great. And I guess I can add Miki Howard's version, which I also prefer to Stevie's.

Aretha's version is the perfect example of a Motown cover being better than the original. Aretha has a knack of taking a song, improving it and making it her own......"Respect"?

luke
05-15-2017, 01:24 PM
To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better. Marv you are now banned from Motown!!lol. Heresy per Brenda! I love her performance. Much more powerful to me as she sings it with more feeling to me as opposed to David's blubderbust!! Nothing by Phil Collins!!

McMotown
05-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Do you mean his duet on "Endless Love" with Mariah? I couldn't find "Hello" with her on it. His version of "Reflections" is very good, but i prefer the original. I'm surprised at how good his "Hello" is. I really, really like it, but I still prefer the original. I always hated the cover of "Endless Love". I prefer the original, but that aint saying much because I don't particular care for it either.

Tom - brain freeze sorry of course 'Endless Love' but now you've pointed out the errors of my ways there is Luther's version of 'Hello' which is up there too.

marv2
05-15-2017, 02:07 PM
To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better. Marv you are now banned from Motown!!lol. Heresy per Brenda! I love her performance. Much more powerful to me as she sings it with more feeling to me as opposed to David's blubderbust!! Nothing by Phil Collins!!

Well ok then fine! I'm taking my toys and going home! LOL! Read my disclaimer above. I am not saying these cover versions are better than the Motown originals. In my case, I am saying that these were decent to good covers of the classics. Phil Collins did a good job with "You Can't Hurry Love". He did not change it at all and the rhythm track smoked.

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 02:27 PM
"Uptown Festival" is great, but I wouldn't count it because it wasn't exactly a full cover of any one song. Think harder Tom.;)

LOL

Ok, RanRan, I'll have another think and get back to you...... :p

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Aretha's version is the perfect example of a Motown cover being better than the original. Aretha has a knack of taking a song, improving it and making it her own......"Respect"?

That's why she's the Queen of Soul. She and Ray Charles are the two artists IMO who could consistently take another artist's previously recorded song and make you forget about the original.

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 02:29 PM

Hey luke, I think I agree with you on the genius of Motown. It really is hard to beat the original Motown classics.

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Tom - brain freeze sorry of course 'Endless Love' but now you've pointed out the errors of my ways there is Luther's version of 'Hello' which is up there too.

Hey, McMotown, this ain't my thread for once! Lol

It's RanRan you are talking to, my friend ;)

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Well ok then fine! I'm taking my toys and going home! LOL! Read my disclaimer above. I am not saying these cover versions are better than the Motown originals. In my case, I am saying that these were decent to good covers of the classics. Phil Collins did a good job with "You Can't Hurry Love". He did not change it at all and the rhythm track smoked.

Yeah I prefer the Supremes YCHL, but Phil did the song justice.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 02:32 PM
To me the genius of Motown is apparent in this thread, as it's so hard for me to think of covers that were better.

So very true.

marv2
05-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Yeah I prefer the Supremes YCHL, but Phil did the song justice.

He was even thoughtful enough to have two "Supreme men" singing the background in his video for the song. LOL!!!

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 02:36 PM
That's why she's the Queen of Soul. She and Ray Charles are the two artists IMO who could consistently take another artist's previously recorded song and make you forget about the original.

I think Junior Walker was also particularly excellent at doing that! Of course his covers of Motown songs were also Motown songs, so they don't count either... :)

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
I think Junior Walker was also particularly excellent at doing that! Of course his covers of Motown songs were also Motown songs, so they don't count either... :)

Yeah, but that sax had a lot to do with that. No disrespect to Mr. Walker's vocal skills but there isn't a song he recorded that I play because of his voice. But he doesn't count either Tom because, as you point out, his Motown covers were Motown songs also. Back to the drawing board Tom. Geez, would you follow the rules?:p

TomatoTom123
05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
LOLololol

This is way harder than I thought...

I was about to suggest songs that sample Motown tracks [[like Amy Winehouse's "Tears Dry On Their Own" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines") and just say 'well, I couldn't think of any proper covers and these songs are good' but that's even more irrelevant...

... but then again, RanRan, I ain't posting by no rules... ;)

Ozmo
05-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Like most of the other posters here, I find it hard to think of versions which surpass the Motown originals.

However, can I give an honourable mention to Laura Nyro, who with the mighty assistance of Labelle on her 'Gonna Take A Miracle' album delivers spirited versions of the Motown classics 'The Bells, Dancing In The Street, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere To Run'.

I still get great enjoyment from this album to this day.

lockhartgary
05-15-2017, 04:10 PM

And as for me, more often than not the 1st version of a song that I hear that I like tends to grow on me more than another version, even if the other version is recorded and released first. Like the song I mentioned above, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", I like both versions, but I heard BSTs' version LONG before I heard Brenda Hollaway's original version.

marv2
05-15-2017, 04:25 PM
And as for me, more often than not the 1st version of a song that I hear that I like tends to grow on me more than another version, even if the other version is recorded and released first. Like the song I mentioned above, "You've Made Me So Very Happy", I like both versions, but I heard BSTs' version LONG before I heard Brenda Hollaway's original version.

I totally understand. That kind of happened to me with "Don't Leave Me this Way". I am pretty sure I heard Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes first, but I had forgotten about it by the time I heard Thelma's version. I was like" this song sounds familiar, where have I heard it? I like Thelma's version more although it is not the original version of the song.

sansradio
05-15-2017, 06:25 PM
This is a great thread! Here's another "honorable mention":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFY5R4cENYY

luke
05-15-2017, 06:33 PM
I love Jr walkers voice on what does it take...

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 08:21 PM

... but then again, RanRan, I ain't posting by no rules... ;)

That will get you in trouble around here.:D

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Like most of the other posters here, I find it hard to think of versions which surpass the Motown originals.

However, can I give an honourable mention to Laura Nyro, who with the mighty assistance of Labelle on her 'Gonna Take A Miracle' album delivers spirited versions of the Motown classics 'The Bells, Dancing In The Street, You've Really Got A Hold On Me, Jimmy Mack and Nowhere To Run'.

I still get great enjoyment from this album to this day.

That's a fantastic album. This is how a covers album should be done.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 08:24 PM

This is really good. I've always loved her voice.

RanRan79
05-15-2017, 08:26 PM

Cool. His voice doesn't do anything for me. I actually love the backing vocals though. He could play the hell out of sax though.

marv2
05-15-2017, 08:37 PM

He does a great job on that one and on the Guess Who's "These Eyes" which is in my Top 20 favorite non-Motown songs.

sansradio
05-15-2017, 08:37 PM

She can sing the label on a can of sardines and make you melt. I tell everyone that the last voices I want playing at my journey's end here on Earth are hers, Patti Austin's and Minnie Riperton's.

marv2
05-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Cool. His voice doesn't do anything for me. I actually love the backing vocals though. He could play the hell out of sax though.

Jr. Walker was not a singer. He could carry a tune, but it was rough, gut bucket stull like the kind you would hear back in the sixties at Midwest Union Halls or BYOB Caberets LOL! Still, he was effective because you couldn't tell him to his face he couldn't sing, hehehehehehe!

marv2
05-15-2017, 08:42 PM

Yes, Dianne is a true vocalist and stylist. Listen to how she weaves in and out of the lyrics giving them her own feel. I loved her "Better Days" recording.

Ozmo
05-15-2017, 10:34 PM

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Dianne Reeves in concert at the Sydney Opera House. She performed 'Just My Imagination' with a full symphony orchestra. A memorable evening!

sansradio
05-16-2017, 01:45 AM
A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Dianne Reeves in concert at the Sydney Opera House. She performed 'Just My Imagination' with a full symphony orchestra. A memorable evening!

Lucky duck, indeed! I haven't had the pleasure as of yet; definitely bucket list!

robb_k
05-16-2017, 02:49 AM
There have been hundreds of non-Motown remakes of Motown songs. The only two I can think of are: "Angel Baby" by Darrell Banks, better than Stevie Wonder's, and "California Soul" by Marlena Shaw, better than The Messengers' original. But, a better Motown singer singing to The Messengers' super Funk Brothers instrumental would have been better than any non-Motown version. Also, "My Heart Is Calling You" by The Magnificents might be slightly better than The Four Tops' version.

McMotown
05-16-2017, 03:41 AM
Not a bad cover by George Michael and Mary J Blige cover of Stevie’s As, but Stevie still has it for me.
RanRan this is so hard, but I’m glad you did not start a thread the worst covers of a Motown single as I would be having nightmares.

phil
05-16-2017, 05:46 AM

That was my first idea, marv !

Also, I love "I wish it would rain", by David Sea. Though, a great song is a great song, there're so many covers showing the richness of the Motown catalog.

RanRan79
05-16-2017, 10:03 AM
She can sing the label on a can of sardines and make you melt. I tell everyone that the last voices I want playing at my journey's end here on Earth are hers, Patti Austin's and Minnie Riperton's.

That's quite a list Sansradio. I'm not really a fan of Minnie's, but Patti Austin is a beast. And she's still killing it. That's three great voices you've chosen to sing you out of here.

RanRan79
05-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Yes, Dianne is a true vocalist and stylist. Listen to how she weaves in and out of the lyrics giving them her own feel. I loved her "Better Days" recording.

"Better Days" is one of my favorite songs.

RanRan79
05-16-2017, 10:06 AM
I’m glad you did not start a thread the worst covers of a Motown single as I would be having nightmares.

No doubt that would be a much longer thread. Lol

marv2
05-16-2017, 12:08 PM
That was my first idea, marv !

Also, I love "I wish it would rain", by David Sea. Though, a great song is a great song, there're so many covers showing the richness of the Motown catalog.

Phil, she touched a lot of people and helped the Funk Bros. receive some much deserved recognition with her version. I saw her with the Funks supporting Mary Wilson in Riverhead NY. She was great. David Sea is almost a "Temptation" very good singer.

marv2
05-16-2017, 12:09 PM
"Better Days" is one of my favorite songs.

Always makes me think of my Grandma.

copley
05-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Merrilee Rush's version of 'Reach Out I'll Be There' is IMHO far better than the Four Tops original. As is 'My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me)' by Kimberly Briggs [[aka Kim Tolliver). Likewise Linda Ronstadt's version of 'Tracks Of My Tears' is the only one I like!

There's lots of great covers that are just as good like the aforementioned ones by Joan Osborne & Laura Nyro. Doris Duke's 'Love Is Here And Now Your Gone' is breathtaking. Grace Jones, Massive Attack & Ella Fitzgerald do amazing versions of 'The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game'. Love Soft Cell's 'Where Did Our Love Go'. Margie Joseph also did a killer version of 'My World Is Empty Without You' as did Marsha Hunt. These are just a few but there are lots more.

Luciano
05-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Two that I really like are:

Never Can Say Goodbye - Isaac Hayes
You Keep Me Hanging On - Aretha

marv2
05-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Merrilee Rush's version of 'Reach Out I'll Be There' is IMHO far better than the Four Tops original. As is 'My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me)' by Kimberly Briggs [[aka Kim Tolliver). Likewise Linda Ronstadt's version of 'Tracks Of My Tears' is the only one I like!

There's lots of great covers that are just as good like the aforementioned ones by Joan Osborne & Laura Nyro. Doris Duke's 'Love Is Here And Now Your Gone' is breathtaking. Grace Jones, Massive Attack & Ella Fitzgerald do amazing versions of 'The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game'. Love Soft Cell's 'Where Did Our Love Go'. Margie Joseph also did a killer version of 'My World Is Empty Without You' as did Marsha Hunt. These are just a few but there are lots more.

No! Claude Francois' version was the best in the history of the planet! LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-zZyt7LI_Q

marv2
05-16-2017, 10:13 PM

i definitely like Isasc Hayes version of "Never Can Say Goodbye".

Ozmo
05-16-2017, 10:58 PM
One cover version that I definitely prefer is Ike and Tina Turner's version of the Martha and the Vandellas track 'A Love Like Yours Don't Come Knocking'.

I like the Vandellas' version but love the grandiose Phil Spector production and Tina's dramatic performance.

phil
05-17-2017, 02:19 AM

I forgot to mention Wilson Pickett's version, for me it's the best one !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_0RIB4yIs

Marv, Claude François really dug the Motown songs and he was not worse that Adam Ant, right ? LOL

marv2
05-17-2017, 03:01 AM
I forgot to mention Wilson Pickett's version, for me it's the best one !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE_0RIB4yIs

Marv, Claude François really dug the Motown songs and he was not worse that Adam Ant, right ? LOL

Oh he was 10 times better than Adam Ant! You can tell by the ferociousness in the way Claude sang and performed "Reach Out, I'll Be There" that he understood the "feeling" of the song and put as much Soul into it as he could.....French Soul! Bebe! hehehehehehehe!

phil
05-17-2017, 09:01 AM
French Soul! Bebe! hehehehehehehe!

Yes marv,he covered a lot of Motown songs, mostly Four Tops' material.

And did you know he co-wrote "My Way" ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 09:48 AM
'My Whole World Ended [[The Moment You Left Me)' by Kimberly Briggs [[aka Kim Tolliver). Margie Joseph also did a killer version of 'My World Is Empty Without You'

I prefer David's "My Whole World Ended" but Kim's is great too. Yes, Margie covered "My World Is Empty" and it's great, but nothing tops the Supremes' version for me. Good stuff though.

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 09:52 AM

I love Isaac's version of "Never Can Say Goodbye", but I don't think I've heard a bad version of that song. I love the Supremes version, Gloria Gaynor's version, New Birth's version and Vanessa Williams' version. That's just a damn great song.

Love me some Aretha but I'm not a fan of her version of "Hangin On". I do love Kim Wilde's version though.

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 09:56 AM
One cover version that I definitely prefer is Ike and Tina Turner's version of the Martha and the Vandellas track 'A Love Like Yours Don't Come Knocking'.

I like the Vandellas' version but love the grandiose Phil Spector production and Tina's dramatic performance.

I hadn't heard this before so I pulled it up to give it a listen. Wow. It's an excellent cover. This is one where I give the edge to Martha and the Vandellas but only because it's been a favorite of mine for so long.

marv2
05-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Yes marv,he covered a lot of Motown songs, mostly Four Tops' material.

And did you know he co-wrote "My Way" ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way

I never knew that. Living on the border of Canada and the U.S. growing up, they would only mention Paul Anka , a Canadian as the writer of that song. I learned something today! Thank you Phil!

marv2
05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
I love Isaac's version of "Never Can Say Goodbye", but I don't think I've heard a bad version of that song. I love the Supremes version, Gloria Gaynor's version, New Birth's version and Vanessa Williams' version. That's just a damn great song.

Love me some Aretha but I'm not a fan of her version of "Hangin On". I do love Kim Wilde's version though.

What about Vanilla Fudge's version?

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 10:49 AM
What about Vanilla Fudge's version?

Oh yes, an excellent cover!

arr&bee
05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
i don't remember that one jai.from around[74-75]i'll have to find it and get the label.

phil
05-17-2017, 12:55 PM
I learned something today! Thank you Phil!

You're welcome marv, we learn something new everyday, especially on this forum !

lakedistrictlad1
05-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Paul Young's version of 'Wherever I lay my hat' from 1983 blows Marvin out of the water for me.

Paul Young's version is loaded with soul.

TomatoTom123
05-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Paul Young's version of 'Wherever I lay my hat' from 1983 blows Marvin out of the water for me.

Hmm, now that one is interesting. Admittedly, Paul Young's vocal is great and the song sounds better at a slower [[and less jolly) tempo, but the typically ungodly '80s synthesisers are soooo awful IMO. It is soulful but I can't stand how much it sounds like an '80s power ballad! :)

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 06:34 PM

I definitely have to go with Marvin here. Paul is great, as usual, and his version is pretty good, but Marvin's version is it for me.

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 06:36 PM
Hmm, now that one is interesting. Admittedly, Paul Young's vocal is great and the song sounds better at a slower [[and less jolly) tempo, but the typically ungodly '80s synthesisers are soooo awful IMO. It is soulful but I can't stand how much it sounds like an '80s power ballad! :)

I love 80s power ballads so this would normally be right up my alley. But I can't get Marvin's version out of my head. Paul Young has some other great cuts that I prefer.

Ngroove
05-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Superior, in my opinion:

Laura Nyro and LaBelle "The Bells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3a66PkWRf4

Not Superior, but extremely decent in its own right:

Otis Redding, "My Girl"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iPtG_O8w8g

Laura Nyro and LaBelle, "Jimmy Mack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-XUJu46UQ&index=3&list=RDnyREgIqMCcU

Irene Cara, "Reach Out [[I'll Be There)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUghvzdDoI4

The Fuzz, "Ooo Baby Baby"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XztVUxFTvSM

B5, "All I Do"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXS_bUMpww

Vanessa Williams, "Dreamin" [[Guinn's, to prove that even this was first a Motown song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAMD5AYhGY

RanRan79
05-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Superior, in my opinion:

Laura Nyro and LaBelle "The Bells"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3a66PkWRf4

Not Superior, but extremely decent in its own right:

Otis Redding, "My Girl"

Laura Nyro and LaBelle, "Jimmy Mack"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK-XUJu46UQ&index=3&list=RDnyREgIqMCcU

Irene Cara, "Reach Out [[I'll Be There)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUghvzdDoI4

The Fuzz, "Ooo Baby Baby"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XztVUxFTvSM

B5, "All I Do"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXS_bUMpww

Vanessa Williams, "Dreamin" [[Guinn's, to prove that even this was first a Motown song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCAMD5AYhGY

I love Laura Nyro's version of "The Bells". It is absolutely fantastic. But I love the Originals original even more.

It's been so long since I've given the Fuzz's album a spin. I don't remember what I thought of "Ooh Baby, Baby". But speaking of "Ooh Baby Baby", I think the Honey Cone version is just as good as the Miracles.

B5 did a nice job with "All I Do", but to me Troop's version is superior to the Jackson 5.

Motorcity
05-17-2017, 08:29 PM
I've always been partial towards the Nella Dodds version of "Come See About Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwhsp_QWX2I

Same with Alpha Zoe's cover of "You Beat Me to the Punch": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslCzDh2aII

Both have lesser fidelity [[on vinyl) than Motown, but I like the rendition better.

sansradio
05-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I've always been partial towards the Nella Dodds version of "Come See About Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwhsp_QWX2I

Same with Alpha Zoe's cover of "You Beat Me to the Punch": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslCzDh2aII

Both have lesser fidelity [[on vinyl) than Motown, but I like the rendition better.

OMG, Motorcity. I grew up with that Alpha Zoe "...Punch" 45! Being born a decade after Mary recorded it, this was the first version I ever heard. What a treat to see this unearthed!

Motorcity
05-17-2017, 09:12 PM
OMG, Motorcity. I grew up with that Alpha Zoe "...Punch" 45! Being born a decade after Mary recorded it, this was the first version I ever heard. What a treat to see this unearthed!

Same here -- almost! I was born forty years too late for either, but I discovered the Alpha Zoe copy first and LOVED it. Mary Wells is a wonder, but I still find myself digging Alpha's more. I am pretty sure she also did some other covers, but am unable to think of what they are right now.

How about Slyvie Vartan? She did more than a few covers, but "The Same Old Song [[Moi Je Danse)" is my fucking fav and dare I say nearly better than Four Tops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVNIzpMwZyc

biggestfourtops fan
05-17-2017, 11:04 PM
No one can top any Four Tops version. They're the one that do the covers better than the original versions of songs they covered.

Motorcity
05-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Biggestfourtopsfan? I see... :P

I do agree though, the Four Tops are my fav and most played. Slyvie's version is pretty damn good, though.

marv2
05-17-2017, 11:21 PM
No one can top any Four Tops version. They're the one that do the covers better than the original versions of songs they covered.

Now you know that's right! It's been interesting to hear people compare Marilee Rush's version of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" to the monster classic by the Four Tops? I can't......I just can't LOL!!!!

marv2
05-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Biggestfourtopsfan? I see... :P

I do agree though, the Four Tops are my fav and most played. Slyvie's version is pretty damn good, though.

Motorcity, I will never try to tell another individual what they should like, but no one has topped the Tops version of that song. It's been used in movies, commercials and just about every sixties party you could find. It all is just interesting to me to learn of other people's tastes.

marv2
05-17-2017, 11:25 PM

The Four Tops are not only superb, originals....they are also the Kings of Covers! They've hits with some of their cover versions. One of my favorites is the Doors "Light My Fire". They are just too awesome! LOL!

marv2
05-17-2017, 11:30 PM
I don't want us to get off track, but allow me to share this as illustration of what I said in my above post........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7MBCnCKwqg

Motorcity
05-17-2017, 11:36 PM
I hope I didn't come off as black and white as it seems I did! The Four Tops are TOPS, but I can't deny that the [[French) versions Slyvie did are just as well played as the Four Tops Second Album in my collection.

Forgive the toe stepping!

marv2
05-18-2017, 12:00 AM
I hope I didn't come off as black and white as it seems I did! The Four Tops are TOPS, but I can't deny that the [[French) versions Slyvie did are just as well played as the Four Tops Second Album in my collection.

Forgive the toe stepping!

Motorcity, I had to write a disclaimer early in this thread so that everyone would understand that I was not saying any cover I may mention was better than the original. LOL

sansradio
05-18-2017, 01:33 AM
How could I forget to mention Aretha's take on "It's My Turn"? As much as I love Miss Ross's interpretation, Ree straight up took it to CHU'CH.

zani57
05-18-2017, 02:53 AM
I know that is radically different from the original version by Martha and the Vandellas, but I thought this was the best cover on Bette Midler's "It's the Girls!" album from a couple years ago --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paaENh-KHx4

Jaap
05-18-2017, 03:20 AM
And Claud Francois sang Reach Out with the Supremes too. And that's the only version I know that Diana Ross sings the "fast" version of Reach Out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJlKmKvEA4

Jaap
05-18-2017, 03:28 AM
One of the weirdest Motown covers [[definitely not superior but interesting in its own right) is the 1983 version of "Stop In The Name Of Love" by The Hollies, which they turned into an anti-nuclear weapon race song--and its actually the last song of The Hollies to chart in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28bXIBKHwvI

marv2
05-18-2017, 09:34 AM
MELISSA MANCHESTER - BAD WEATHER. Not bad. A bit Jazzy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEZAY3xqsw

RanRan79
05-18-2017, 10:08 AM
How could I forget to mention Aretha's take on "It's My Turn"? As much as I love Miss Ross's interpretation, Ree straight up took it to CHU'CH.

I love the Queen, but I prefer the Boss on this one. I've come to appreciate Aretha's take on "Aint Nothing Like the Real Thing" in recent years compared to when I first heard it. I do prefer her version of "You're All I Need to Get By" to Marvin and Tammi. I also prefer Diana's "Aint No Mountain High Enough" to Marvin and Tammi's, although I love their version a lot too.

RanRan79
05-18-2017, 10:15 AM
MELISSA MANCHESTER - BAD WEATHER. Not bad. A bit Jazzy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEZAY3xqsw

Now this is a worthy cover! The Supremes' version is still tops for me, but this is very good. I dig her arrangement. She also does a wonderful cover of "I Wanna Be Where You Are".

zani57
05-20-2017, 05:11 AM
The old Brenda Holloway song "Every Little Bit Hurts" was covered by Linda Ronstadt in the 1980s but the song never made it onto one of her albums --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fupladeyaigl8go/everylittlebithurts.mp3?dl=0

splanky
05-20-2017, 06:25 AM
I thought this was a quite interesting thread, though I really don't
care much about ideas about "superiority"...I've heard a lot of the
covers here and own a few of them. Wilson Pickett's You Keep Me
Hanging On has long been a favorite. I'm just happy that so many
folks have knocked down the erroneous notion that Motown music
is somehow a sacred thing that "shouldn't " be covered by non
Motown artists. As a fact that Motown music has long entered the
jazz pantheon, with Stevie Wonder being the most covered artist,
I've enjoyed this stuff for many years now. I'd be here all morning
listing examples which I won't but as far as R&B/Soul is concerned
I was quite fond of the Junie era Ohio Players cover of Marvin Gaye's
What Goin' On...The nod was well understood and taken...

sansradio
05-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Donny Hathaway's "What's Going On" is also spectacular.

grapevine
05-20-2017, 12:14 PM
...any Facebook members here may have seen in the... Motown From The Vaults ...group ...that we've featured 100s ...if not 1000s ...of Motown covers in recent years...!

...a guy ...not previously mentioned on this thread ...who had a few hits in the UK with Motown covers ...was Donnie Elbert ...here's a few of his best ...enjoy

...Where Did Our Love Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BdbT1rzYyQ

...I Can't Help Myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4oSceVa4Zw

...Love Is Here And Now You're Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK_xFr7xD1E

...This Old Heart Of Mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOsqOxzzIPc

...Come See About Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB91Rk8Hjb4

...Get Ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHJqb_uFJE

…also …check out Val Palmer’s Motown covers

…Back In My Arms Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds8vE0TElTs

…When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08SlBgOXA5k

…the most unusual ‘finds’ were perhaps these …from Blondie

…Seven Rooms Of Gloom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rauPQ49PvXY

…The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YagpRkBx3R0

…my fave Motown cover must be this …from Ella Fitzgerald

...Get Ready

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p1dvNjaPG4

:)

RanRan79
05-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Splanky my use of the word "superior" is all about one's personal taste and which version- if any- any one person prefers over the Motown original. It's all art, which means it's up to everyone's particular interpretation. No right or wrong. Not really even better or worse. But I suppose I should have used the word "prefer" instead of "superior". It might have made the thread a little more inviting.

RanRan79
05-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Donny Hathaway's "What's Going On" is also spectacular.

Hell yeah.

RanRan79
05-20-2017, 01:55 PM
...a guy ...not previously mentioned on this thread ...who had a few hits in the UK with Motown covers ...was Donnie Elbert ...

…also …check out Val Palmer’s Motown covers

…Back In My Arms Again

…When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes

…the most unusual ‘finds’ were perhaps these …from Blondie

…Seven Rooms Of Gloom

…The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game

…my fave Motown cover must be this …from Ella Fitzgerald

...Get Ready

:)

I have Donnie's "Where Did Our Love Go" on a compilation cd from years ago. I didn't like it. Val Palmer actually did a decent job with "Back In My Arms Again". Her "Lovelight" didn't do anything for me. I love almost anything Blondie does. Their version of "Hunter" is fantastic. Ella just proves she can do anything.

jsmith
05-23-2017, 02:39 PM
How about this . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDMDneeOMQ

Jaap
05-23-2017, 02:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqmN6ML4Vs

RanRan79
05-23-2017, 03:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqmN6ML4Vs

Nona had come a long way from her Bluebelle days. Lol I was all prepared to hate this. I love Nona's voice but she often makes music that doesn't do anything for me. While this version of "Itchin" still isn't something I would play, it's much better than I thought it would be. It's a good cover.

jsmith
05-23-2017, 03:48 PM
My fave version of "Love Hangover" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuJIc9SSQQ

marv2
05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
My fave version of "Love Hangover" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuJIc9SSQQ

I love the instrumental!

marv2
05-23-2017, 04:32 PM
I have Donnie's "Where Did Our Love Go" on a compilation cd from years ago. I didn't like it. Val Palmer actually did a decent job with "Back In My Arms Again". Her "Lovelight" didn't do anything for me. I love almost anything Blondie does. Their version of "Hunter" is fantastic. Ella just proves she can do anything.

Yes to Donnie Elbert's "Where Did Our Love Go?"

arr&bee
05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Didn't[rod stewart]do a nice version of[girl why you wanna make me blue]?

RanRan79
05-24-2017, 02:34 PM
How could I forget Jodeci's cover of "Lately"? I dig Stevie's version. Love it. But Jodeci's version is my absolute favorite.

roger
05-25-2017, 09:07 AM
At the risk of being denounced as a heretic, banished from SDF and forced to live out my days on a remote desert island listening to nothing but the "best" of Mrs Miller I have to go on record that my favourite version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is the version by Inner Life that came out on Salsoul circa 1981.

Those vocals by Jocelyn Brown, that production by Patrick Adams, those swirling strings and those kettle drums [[not to mention the freaky "moog" instrumental break) I find totally irresistible. Mind you it HAS to be the original LP version for me, rather than some of those attempts to "improve" it that have occurred over the years. :)

Here it is in all its 8 minute glory ..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9zdca_QKE&feature=youtu.be

Roger

TomatoTom123
05-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Hey roger, this is probably similarly blasphemic but I do love The Whispers' 1979 disco cover of "My Girl"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQmwhwGdys&app=desktop

"She's my girl, she's so fine
She's my girl, she's fine as wine!"

roger
05-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Hey roger, this is probably similarly blasphemic but I do love The Whispers' 1979 disco cover of "My Girl"...

Well TomatoTom, just about anything by The Whispers is worth a listen, and their take on "My Girl" is no exception, though for me their best "Cover" was their version of "Make It With You".

Best not shout it too loud around here, but the big hit version of "My Girl" in The UK back in the 1960s wasn't by The Temptations at all but by Otis Redding!! :)

Roger

RanRan79
05-25-2017, 11:11 AM
At the risk of being denounced as a heretic, banished from SDF and forced to live out my days on a remote desert island listening to nothing but the "best" of Mrs Miller I have to go on record that my favourite version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is the version by Inner Life that came out on Salsoul circa 1981.

Those vocals by Jocelyn Brown, that production by Patrick Adams, those swirling strings and those kettle drums [[not to mention the freaky "moog" instrumental break) I find totally irresistible. Mind you it HAS to be the original LP version for me, rather than some of those attempts to "improve" it that have occurred over the years. :)

Roger

Everyone has their favorites. My fav version of this is Diana Ross'. The version by Inner Life isn't bad. I really love Jocelyn's voice. It's an interesting cover. I had never heard it before.

RanRan79
05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

"She's my girl, she's so fine
She's my girl, she's fine as wine!"

Tom I think I'd listen to this version over the Tempts. I've never been a fan of "My Girl" by anyone really, although I kind of like Marvin Gaye's version.

marv2
05-25-2017, 11:15 AM

Roger

Roger you have a right to your opinion just like everyone else! I like Jocelyn Brown's voice and the instrumental track is very nice.

TomatoTom123
05-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Well TomatoTom, just about anything by The Whispers is worth a listen, and their take on "My Girl" is no exception, though for me their best "Cover" was their version of "Make It With You".

Best not shout it too loud around here, but the big hit version of "My Girl" in The UK back in the 1960s wasn't by The Temptations at all but by Otis Redding!! :)

Roger

Yea, roger, you're right! The Temptations' didn't even crack the Top 40 I believe.

Of course thanks to its inclusion on the 1991 film of the same name, The Tempts' original version of "My Girl" would hit #2, where it rightly belonged! :)

TomatoTom123
05-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Roger

BTW, roger, I had never heard this version before. It is a fascinating take on what is a great song! It'll grow on me... :)

TomatoTom123
05-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Tom I think I'd listen to this version over the Tempts. I've never been a fan of "My Girl" by anyone really, although I kind of like Marvin Gaye's version.

Oh... Wow! You don't really like The Tempts' original version? Admittedly it is overplayed [[it gets a bit boring because of this) but it really is an amazing song. A little masterpiece...

Ah, now, RanRan, you would like the Marvin Gaye version, because [[I remember!) Marvin is your favourite male singer. And David Ruffin is mine so I have to go with The Tempts at the end of the day. The Whispers' rendition is excellent though... it sticks close the original arrangement but adds a bit of their own style into the song. :)

Jaap
05-25-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm not a bit British New Wave fan, but the 1982 cover version of Love Hangover by The Associates is quite an interesting interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy3oJv_WW9Q

RanRan79
05-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Oh... Wow! You don't really like The Tempts' original version? Admittedly it is overplayed [[it gets a bit boring because of this) but it really is an amazing song. A little masterpiece...

Ah, now, RanRan, you would like the Marvin Gaye version, because [[I remember!) Marvin is your favourite male singer. And David Ruffin is mine so I have to go with The Tempts at the end of the day. The Whispers' rendition is excellent though... it sticks close the original arrangement but adds a bit of their own style into the song. :)

I've never been crazy about it, but my dislike might have something to do with the fact that it's so overplayed. I tend to get annoyed hearing "My Girl", "Baby Love", "Stop In the Name of Love", "I Can't Help Myself" because they are played SOOOO much.

Yes, Marvin is my favorite, so I tend to be a bit biased to his version of any song.

TomatoTom123
05-26-2017, 01:15 AM
I've never been crazy about it, but my dislike might have something to do with the fact that it's so overplayed. I tend to get annoyed hearing "My Girl", "Baby Love", "Stop In the Name of Love", "I Can't Help Myself" because they are played SOOOO much.

Yes, Marvin is my favorite, so I tend to be a bit biased to his version of any song.

RanRan, I get you. Same with Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" and Marvin's "I Hesrd It Through The Grapevine" for me. I hate how they overplay these wonderful songs so you fall out of love with them, and can't appreciate them for their true value anymore!

BTW, I always thought Marvin's version of the song was a bit MOR-ish; I believe it was partly recorded in New York. But it's still excellent of course ;)

RanRan79
05-26-2017, 04:02 PM
BTW, I always thought Marvin's version of the song was a bit MOR-ish; I believe it was partly recorded in New York. But it's still excellent of course ;)

Agreed. And I believe you're right about it being recorded in NY.

splanky
05-27-2017, 05:26 AM
How about this . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDMDneeOMQ

America's great loss to the UK...I friggin' loved those girls!..

jsmith
05-31-2017, 02:55 AM
I lost a friend yesterday [[Mr.T) and it brought this to mind ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUM8d-9jr8

RanRan79
05-31-2017, 11:02 AM
Sorry for your loss Jsmith. What an interesting retelling of "Neither One of Us". I actually like it.

Motown Eddie
05-31-2017, 04:55 PM
I prefer The Dave Clark Five's remake of "You've Got What It Takes" to Marv Johnson's original.

TomatoTom123
05-31-2017, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure why but I rather like this version of The Originals' "God Bless Whoever Sent You" by Reggae singer Hopeton Lewis...!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKhfnSmz9s&app=desktop

marv2
05-31-2017, 07:57 PM
I really liked Roger & Zapp's version of "
I Heard it Through the Grapevine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLuOLGF0Exw

marv2
06-01-2017, 12:06 PM
The Brand New Heavies did a great job with this Stevie Wonder classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvq8TMPzpw

lockhartgary
06-01-2017, 12:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvq8TMPzpw

This IS a good cover!

marv2
06-01-2017, 01:15 PM
This IS a good cover!

I thought so too. different, but they kept the emotion in it.

lockhartgary
06-01-2017, 03:16 PM
I thought so too. different, but they kept the emotion in it.

Without over emoting, which makes a huge difference for me.

RanRan79
06-01-2017, 04:11 PM
I really liked Roger & Zapp's version of "
I Heard it Through the Grapevine"

So do I Marv. That track is always hot.

RanRan79
06-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Yes! I've always loved N'dea Davenport's voice. And the band aint half steppin either.

marv2
06-01-2017, 05:56 PM
So do I Marv. That track is always hot.

It does what Roger was made to do......make you dance! I was lucky to be able to hang out with him several months before he passed. Great guy.

marv2
06-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Here's a nice cover of the Supremes "Bad Weather" . The tempo is different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTxOYngTRY

kenneth
06-14-2017, 11:01 PM

Roger

Well, Jocelyn Brown ain't no slouch! She could sing anything. She died quite young, I think. What a great singer.

johnny_raven
06-14-2017, 11:54 PM
Jocelyn Brown is still with us.

marv2
06-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Well, Jocelyn Brown ain't no slouch! She could sing anything. She died quite young, I think. What a great singer.

Jocelyn Brown did not die. Could you be thinking of Loletta Holloway?

marv2
06-15-2017, 12:08 AM
Nona had come a long way from her Bluebelle days. Lol I was all prepared to hate this. I love Nona's voice but she often makes music that doesn't do anything for me. While this version of "Itchin" still isn't something I would play, it's much better than I thought it would be. It's a good cover.

Then there are some songs that Nona has sung that just blows me away.

then ther

robb_k
06-15-2017, 05:42 AM
Out of the hundreds of remakes of Motown songs, the only non-Motown remakes I think are better than the Motown originals are "Angel Baby" by Darrell Banks, and "My Heart Is Calling You" by The Magnificents better than "My Heart Is Calling" by The Four Tops.

Darrell Banks' "Someone, Somewhere needs You" and Mary Love's "Open The Door To Your Heart" MIGHT be better than any Motown originals of those songs, IF such were ever recorded. But, so far, to my knowledge, none have been found.