PDA

View Full Version : Mary wilson interview - menopause the musical

test

milven
05-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Interview with Mary about Menopause the Musical. Has anyone seen this? It sounds like she is not playing a character but is the hostess. But she does sing in it

starts at 37:11

http://news.wjct.org/post/5102017-comey-firing-homestead-exemption-mary-wilson-valerie-bowman

marv2
05-10-2017, 10:25 PM
Thanks Milven. If you scroll down the page to just about the middle ,you can go right to Mary's interview.

marv2
05-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Here's another article about the show:

http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/arts/music/2017-05-09/mary-wilson-supremes-joins-menopause-musical-times-union-center

luke
05-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Mary sure is versatile and not afraid to take risks!

marv2
05-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Mary sure is versatile and not afraid to take risks!

She is still at the height of her powers, which is amazing in my opinion.

detmotownguy
05-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Keeping her career fresh with different types of performances.

BigAl
05-11-2017, 08:28 AM
I get the sense that Mary's role, as "hostess," as it were, might be similar to the role she played in Beehive, where, in addition to singing, she sort of guided the audience narratively through the show. I believe that role was created for her, just as this one was created for Cindy Williams, probably in order to boost interest by adding a "name" to the cast.

As for her trepidation regarding altered song lyrics, she has a valid point. Both she and Diane routinely seem to mess up the lyrics even to songs they've sung for decades, which has always perplexed me.

marv2
05-11-2017, 12:50 PM
I get the sense that Mary's role, as "hostess," as it were, might be similar to the role she played in Beehive, where, in addition to singing, she sort of guided the audience narratively through the show. I believe that role was created for her, just as this one was created for Cindy Williams, probably in order to boost interest by adding a "name" to the cast.

As for her trepidation regarding altered song lyrics, she has a valid point. Both she and Diane routinely seem to mess up the lyrics even to songs they've sung for decades, which has always perplexed me.

In "Beehive", when she did that slow version of "And Beat Goes On" with that Vietnam narrative it knocked me out and she got a standing ovation.