PDA

View Full Version : James Brown's 1966 King anti Drug 45

test

robb_k
05-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Hi folks. I had a James Brown King record from his late King period, which was a public service song telling kids not to take drugs. It was on the last label design, with a white background and artistic lettering. I think it was DJ only, and its catalogue number was not in the regular series. I think it had 2 letters a dash and 2 numbers [[like JS-23). It was a funky dance tune. The only part I can remember was: "Don't take drugs, y'all, there KILLERS! Good Gawd! It was very funny. I had it in L.A. in 1966 or 1967, while attending UCLA. I took to a friend's house in The hot San Fernando Valley, for him to hear it. Four of us went in my car to Busch Gardens to take the free tour, and drink a lot of free [[American watered down beer) :p. I inadvertently left the record sitting on my dashboard top. After a couple hours of drinking and relieving ourselves we returned to my car to find the 45 warped like it had been wearing curlers to get a perm!

I was heartbroken. It was the only copy of that record I'd ever seen. I never found another. I've looked for it on You-Tube, but can't remember the title. When I describe it, they just keep sending me to Polydor's much later, "King Heroin".

Do any of you know of the King record, and its title. If you have it, I'd also like to see a scan. Thanks for any help. It was pants-wetting funny! ;)

Cosmic Truth
05-10-2017, 01:47 AM
I'm guessing it's the track Fight Against Drug Abuse [[Promo Single Version) which is on the CD Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang.

If it is this one, it has Super Bad as the backing track, which I reckon would date the promo around 1970/71.

Here's a You Tube video, so you can tell if this is the track you asked about

https://youtu.be/UnKYXL3QE6w

robb_k
05-10-2017, 03:29 AM
I'm guessing it's the track Fight Against Drug Abuse [[Promo Single Version) which is on the CD Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang.

If it is this one, it has Super Bad as the backing track, which I reckon would date the promo around 1970/71.

Here's a You Tube video, so you can tell if this is the track you asked about

https://youtu.be/UnKYXL3QE6w
No. That's the same label design, but mine had James Brown on both sides and he was singing, not talking, and the song was about 2 minutes long. It was a real song, like "Don't Be A Dropout". But, it was more funky, as it was from a later period. it was probably put out in conjunction with this release. One was The PSA for airing, while the other was a song to be played, in a rotation, just like "Don't Be A Dropout". But, unlike "Don't Be A Dropout", it was NOT played extensively on the radio [[if at all). I didn't hear it on the Soul stations in L.A. or Chicago. "Don't Be A Dropout" charted in many cities. I think this later PS song may have been released after Brown had left King for Polydor Records. So, maybe he didn't push it much? He had been Syd Nathan's A&R man and chief Producer at King from about 1966 through to when he left.

Cosmic Truth
05-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm afraid I'm stumped Robb.

I know Bobby Byrd had a short track with the same Fight Against Drug abuse title, and similar message, but I don't know the track you're talking about.

Good luck with your search. Let us know how you get on

motony
05-11-2017, 04:32 PM
"King Heroin" from early 70's?

robb_k
05-11-2017, 11:06 PM
"King Heroin" from early 70's?
No! What I had was from 1968 or 1969 on King Records [[White label - like the PSA above). "King Heroin" was on Polydor, and from late 1972.

arr&bee
05-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Hey robb,i have a record store near me that has all kinds of hard to find oldies,i'll check with my man over there and see if he has it and get back to you on it.