PDA

View Full Version : Ian Levine and Cindy

test

lakeside
05-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know why Ian Levine never recorded Cindy Birdsong? Except for Ross, I think he recorded all of the other Supremes.

TomatoTom123
05-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Mmm, good question, lakeside. I bet Ian would have wanted to, so it was probably Cindy that chose not to work with him. :)

luke
05-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Great question for which I have no answer! She did have a contract with another label in UK but I'd think she could have recorded after that expired.

TomatoTom123
05-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Interestingly I just found out that Cindy had a single out on Hi-Hat Records entitled "Dancing Room" in late 1987... which is just about when Ian Levine started recording former Motown artists!

lakeside
05-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Yes, Cindy recorded a few things..."Dancing Room" one of them for
Hi-Hat records in the UK before they folded. Prior to that, I believe she was in the early version of the FLOS....about a hot minute. I thought she would have been a good candidate for Levine about that time as he was busy recording all those Motown singers.

thommg
05-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Yes, Cindy recorded a few things..."Dancing Room" one of them for
Hi-Hat records in the UK before they folded. Prior to that, I believe she was in the early version of the FLOS....about a hot minute. I thought she would have been a good candidate for Levine about that time as he was busy recording all those Motown singers.

Did Cindy record on any of the early FLO's recordings?

johnny_raven
05-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Does anyone know why Ian Levine never recorded Cindy Birdsong? Except for Ross, I think he recorded all of the other Supremes.

In the book OFF THE RECORD by Reg Bartlette, there is a list of Motorcity Artists and songs that were recorded [[as of June 1990). Cindy is on the list with 1 song called "Yesterday's Love." I don't know if there were any vocals laid down, but I never heard it. Ian Levine wrote the forward to the book, so I would assume this list would be correct.

144man
05-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Ian Levine provided Motorcity members with a list of artists and songs, and "Yesterday's Love" did indeed appear on this list. As the tracks were released, whether on solo singles and albums or on various artist CDs, I used to make a note of the catalogue number[[s) on my copy of the list. Since I have not written a number against "Yesterday's Love", I'm fairly sure it was never released at the time.

luke
05-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Interesting JR. I've got the impression that after Cindys attempted comeback and being temporarily "stranded " in U.K., she'd had enough of the music business and concentrated on the ministry.

Jimi LaLumia
05-09-2017, 05:26 PM
I spent a lovely afternoon with Cindy when "Dancing Room" was released; we did a great interview, she was fab, she was being managed by Bernard Jay, who was also managing Divine at the time..Cindy's single never got a U.S. release despite Bernard telling me that it would..12897

longtimefan
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
A couple of versions of "Dancing Room" are available on YouTube.

marv2
05-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Did Cindy record on any of the early FLO's recordings?

No she did not.

daviddh
05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
she was with Flos in the beginning but was replaced by Lynda Lawrence again when another record co wined and dined her. I think it all fell thru