PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye -Mike Douglas Interview

test

ms_m
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
This may have already been posted but there isn't any such thing as too much Marvin Gaye.;)

Marvin Gaye performs the ballad "Why Did I Choose You", then sits down with Mike Douglas for an interview. Marvin recorded this song [[made famous by Barbra Streisand) in 1968, but it was never released during his lifetime. This segment is from March 7, 1968, the Mike Douglas show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIUewEdKUY&feature=player_profilepage

For fans of Jaco Pastorius you will LOVE THIS LINK as well [[http://www.youtube.com/user/ricksuchow#p/u/38/kMIUewEdKUY)

stephanie
01-19-2011, 07:59 PM
good to see Marvin but I didnt care for him as a crooner.

ms_m
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Not many fans did although he "crooned," Distant Lover. LOL....I think it's probably the style of song many objected too.

This was very well done IMO and I kept getting flashes of Nat King Cole as I listened. I liked this style for Marvin and to me it shows his versatility.

Different strokes for different folks.:cool:

midnightman
01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I love his pop crooner phase. :)

ms_m
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I love his pop crooner phase. :)

Midnightman, not sure how old you are but I have a feeling our age is showing.....hahahahaha
I liked this phase as well but I liked anything Marvin did. In spIte of any issues he had he also had the aura of a gentle spirit that drew you in.

....and to try to cut it off at the pass.....

I'm sure there are those that would/could talk about a negative side to MG but who doesn't have a negative side?;)

midnightman
01-19-2011, 11:55 PM
^ I'm 26, Ms. M. No really. [[born in 1984) ;)

And as for "negative sides", SO TRUE! Everybody has flaws.

ms_m
01-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I bow to you young man, you have excellent taste for one so young!!!! YEAH:cool:

midnightman
01-20-2011, 12:18 AM
^ Thanks. :) I was predestined to do that from birth. :cool: lol

ms_m
01-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Is that so......now you have me curious but I'll leave it alone for now. LOL

midnightman
01-20-2011, 12:32 AM
^ lmao I think I was born in the wrong decade anyway. :) Though I love '80s music.

the_classic_master
01-20-2011, 05:20 AM
i love this convo u2 are having over here and i agree with u both about marvin crooner phase, the man was such an amazing talent! vunerable is one of the best albums marvin ever made, that most people never heard of and when i'm alone i cry wasn't too shabby either! i played the days of wine and roses on my current 60's soul show and my listeners was shocked that i played that cut. that song gives me goose bumps everytime i hear it!
i have this show, he also performs ain't that peculiar on this show as well.

glencro
01-20-2011, 06:02 AM
I love his crooning. His "Vulnerable" cd and "Marvin Sings Nat King Cole" really show what a controlled vocalist he was. He was so charismatic on the "Mike Douglas Show" interview. Amazing how raw he became in the 70's with his more rugged image. Midnightman, hats off to you for enjoying the finer things in life [[real music) at your age. I graduated in 1984, you really aged me bruh lol.

ms_m
01-20-2011, 09:46 AM
You know Glenro it's ironic when you think about it because the majority of his fans didn't like him trying to move away from the Motown sound but it was excellent music, "real music," and he did it very well. Yet so many folks today can't understand why kids like, what they like. LOL

I grew up listening to Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Sinatra and all the cats and it was ok but I didn't run out and buy their records back then. I bought the sounds the rest of my peers were buying. It wasn't until I was older that I could really appreciate those guys and started looking for their recordings.

Classic Master thanks for the comment, I was wondering if he did any of his Motown stuff on that show.