PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Gaye "How Sweet It Is" back cover variation

test

DWSheffer
05-06-2017, 06:40 PM
I had read the with great interest the thread on the cover color variations for the Supremes' "A' Go-Go", which already having them in my collection I was aware of. It was also interesting to hear about other covers as well, which I have most of in my collection as well.

One not mentioned was the back cover of Marvin's "How Sweet It Is" LP. I had noticed previously when I acquired the copy on the right that the track listing for side 1 is all out of order. It wasn't until I placed them side by side for the pictures that I noticed one LP had "How Sweet It Is" as the title, the other showing "How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You". I was thinking the shorter title cover could be earlier. [[?)

I would assume as mentioned in the Go-Go cover thread this could be because of different printers, but what could explain the obvious track listing error? The LP's themselves have the proper track order. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this variation before?
Darin

marv2
05-06-2017, 06:56 PM
i have the original album, mostly likely a first pressing. I don't have access to my old albums at the moment so I cannot verify the track listing on my copy. I can say that some of these changes or mistakes occurred when a recording was prepped and sent out for a second or third pressing. From what I saw years ago volunteering at Hitsville, the way things were done in those days; they were done manually. Album cover mock-ups included actual photographs pasted or glued onto cardboard. The lettering was done using a variety of stencils and the plants provided the three color printing of album jackets. I saw the original demo for the Supremes "Reflections" album and was amazed that the photo artwork was done by some using a pair of scissors to cut the pics out. LOL!

huntergettingcaptured
05-08-2017, 01:21 AM
i have the original album, mostly likely a first pressing. I don't have access to my old albums at the moment so I cannot verify the track listing on my copy. I can say that some of these changes or mistakes occurred when a recording was prepped and sent out for a second or third pressing. From what I saw years ago volunteering at Hitsville, the way things were done in those days; they were done manually. Album cover mock-ups included actual photographs pasted or glued onto cardboard. The lettering was done using a variety of stencils and the plants provided the three color printing of album jackets. I saw the original demo for the Supremes "Reflections" album and was amazed that the photo artwork was done by some using a pair of scissors to cut the pics out. LOL!

I was fortunate to find some elements for these album cover mock-ups on ebay some years ago. For example, I have the full-size photographs for the Stevie Wonder "Down To Earth," Gladys Knight & Pips "If I Were Your Woman" and Billy Eckstine "My Way" album covers. I have some various transparencies of the Motown, Soul and Gordy logo that would have been used to print those onto the album covers. And I have a few photographs pasted onto heavy card stock that shows the term "cut and paste" was once a VERY literal function. All very interesting treasures of Motown history.

As for the Marvin Gaye album cover mix-up, The Supremes had an album that listed a song that wasn't even on the album and The Marvelettes were once replaced on their own album by The Marvelletts.

marv2
05-08-2017, 11:33 PM
I was fortunate to find some elements for these album cover mock-ups on ebay some years ago. For example, I have the full-size photographs for the Stevie Wonder "Down To Earth," Gladys Knight & Pips "If I Were Your Woman" and Billy Eckstine "My Way" album covers. I have some various transparencies of the Motown, Soul and Gordy logo that would have been used to print those onto the album covers. And I have a few photographs pasted onto heavy card stock that shows the term "cut and paste" was once a VERY literal function. All very interesting treasures of Motown history.

As for the Marvin Gaye album cover mix-up, The Supremes had an album that listed a song that wasn't even on the album and The Marvelettes were once replaced on their own album by The Marvelletts.

huntergettingcaptured, unless you are going to donate those pieces to the Hitsville Museum, hold on to them! Their value is going to go up, up and up!

DWSheffer
05-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys......no solid answers but I thought I would post so it was here for any future research on alternate covers. Variations are a big part of one of my other collecting interests, so I like to look out for them when it comes to collecting Motown as well.

In the line of the pieces huntergettingcaptured mentions, I too was fortunate enough to buy some of those pieces off Ebay. I have the transparency artwork used to produce the cover of the Supremes "Sing H-D-H", as well as the cover proof for "The Moods of Marving Gaye", the cover proof for Tammi's "Irresistible", and several other cover proofs. The Miracles "Greatest Hits Vol 2" proof has a stamp on the back where Esther Gordy Edwards and a couple other higher ups would sign off on the final proof. I also acquired a set of the logo transparencies for 8 of the Motown and subsidiary labels. I also have the original artwork of the "floating heads" of the Supremes, used on the back cover of "Merry Christmas from Motown" MS681 in 1968. Like you mentioned Marv, they are very crudely done. They took an original photograph of the Supremes, cut out the heads, and then used white-out type paint to cover their necks and clothes to create the blank areas you see of the floating heads on the back of that album!

I actually became friends with the seller who also sold me some of the stuff outright. The items came from the collection of Joseph Shillair, who evidently had some connection with Motown, possibly working in the advertising or art department? He had a heck of a Motown collection from what I understand. If anyone can share with me any information on him, I would love to hear it.
Thanks,
Darin

marv2
05-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys......no solid answers but I thought I would post so it was here for any future research on alternate covers. Variations are a big part of one of my other collecting interests, so I like to look out for them when it comes to collecting Motown as well.

In the line of the pieces huntergettingcaptured mentions, I too was fortunate enough to buy some of those pieces off Ebay. I have the transparency artwork used to produce the cover of the Supremes "Sing H-D-H", as well as the cover proof for "The Moods of Marving Gaye", the cover proof for Tammi's "Irresistible", and several other cover proofs. The Miracles "Greatest Hits Vol 2" proof has a stamp on the back where Esther Gordy Edwards and a couple other higher ups would sign off on the final proof. I also acquired a set of the logo transparencies for 8 of the Motown and subsidiary labels. I also have the original artwork of the "floating heads" of the Supremes, used on the back cover of "Merry Christmas from Motown" MS681 in 1968. Like you mentioned Marv, they are very crudely done. They took an original photograph of the Supremes, cut out the heads, and then used white-out type paint to cover their necks and clothes to create the blank areas you see of the floating heads on the back of that album!

I actually became friends with the seller who also sold me some of the stuff outright. The items came from the collection of Joseph Shillair, who evidently had some connection with Motown, possibly working in the advertising or art department? He had a heck of a Motown collection from what I understand. If anyone can share with me any information on him, I would love to hear it.
Thanks,
Darin

I never met him, but I remember the name Joe Shillair.

carole cucumber
05-09-2017, 05:48 PM
theboyfromxtown

08-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Joe Shillair was a promotional guy at Motown and it was he that promoted [[and knew all the lyrics to) the Velvelettes "There He Goes". Joe passed many years ago but he told me himself that he sung on Mary Wells' "Two Lovers" because a Lovetone simply did not turn up that day and another voice was needed for the harmony. Joe wasn't a Lovetone, he just worked there and was able to sing and did. He's never credited....but maybe he ought to be.

DWSheffer
05-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Thanks carole for that information. I had emailed the Motown Museum more than a year ago, asking for them to look into Joe Shillair being added to the "Motown Alumni" section of their website. I told them I did not have specifics on his employment with Motown, but that I knew he was at some point part of the company. My last check of the Museum's website did not show his name being added to the list, which is sad in light of the information you provided that he certainly was involved with the company. Maybe someone seeing this can help get him recognised?
Darin

huntergettingcaptured
05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
huntergettingcaptured, unless you are going to donate those pieces to the Hitsville Museum, hold on to them! Their value is going to go up, up and up!

Hi Marv, oh I definitely plan to hold onto them! I'm a true Motown fanatic and at this point, I don't think I'd sell them for any kind of price! [[well, maybe I shouldn't say that, lol!)

huntergettingcaptured
05-10-2017, 03:13 PM

Thanks,
Darin

Darin, I wonder if we both had been bidding on some of those items at the same time! You've got some incredible items, especially the proofs for the Supremes albums. The white-out you described is something that really amazed me too. I have a photo of Barbara McNair where white-out was used as well to create blank areas. I guess you just never think about these things being created with very rudimentary methods, but then in the end, those methods were pretty effective.

I appreciate too, your giving that information on Joseph Shillair. That is really interesting to know. It really is a shame he and so many others in the arts department aren't more well known to us.

marv2
05-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Hi Marv, oh I definitely plan to hold onto them! I'm a true Motown fanatic and at this point, I don't think I'd sell them for any kind of price! [[well, maybe I shouldn't say that, lol!)

I hear you. Well, just use your best judgement and whatever auction guides you can find for such items!

DWSheffer
05-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Darin, I wonder if we both had been bidding on some of those items at the same time! You've got some incredible items, especially the proofs for the Supremes albums. The white-out you described is something that really amazed me too. I have a photo of Barbara McNair where white-out was used as well to create blank areas. I guess you just never think about these things being created with very rudimentary methods, but then in the end, those methods were pretty effective.

I appreciate too, your giving that information on Joseph Shillair. That is really interesting to know. It really is a shame he and so many others in the arts department aren't more well known to us.

I'm sure we probably did bid against each other on some of the items! I remember there were a few pieces that "got away", but that's how it works with auctions! I now wish I would have bought the original painting for the cover of Marvin's "That's The Way Love Is". I think they were asking $400 or best offer at the time and it finally sold. That was something that really should be in the Motown Museum. I will probably leave instructions to have the items I purchased go the Museum when my day comes. This decision will be somewhat based on the proposed expansion of the Hitsville complex and how that materializes. I sure hope it happens, at any rate. There has to be so much more to see in the archives at Hitsville, plus I would guess Berry has enough stuff to have his own museum!
Darin

marv2
05-14-2017, 04:14 PM
I'm sure we probably did bid against each other on some of the items! I remember there were a few pieces that "got away", but that's how it works with auctions! I now wish I would have bought the original painting for the cover of Marvin's "That's The Way Love Is". I think they were asking $400 or best offer at the time and it finally sold. That was something that really should be in the Motown Museum. I will probably leave instructions to have the items I purchased go the Museum when my day comes. This decision will be somewhat based on the proposed expansion of the Hitsville complex and how that materializes. I sure hope it happens, at any rate. There has to be so much more to see in the archives at Hitsville, plus I would guess Berry has enough stuff to have his own museum!
Darin

DWSheffer, there was also a lot of great items lost when the Donovan Building on Woodward Ave. was demolished several years ago. Some things were scavenged and from time to time show up on Ebay. Still there is a lot to be recovered that is still in and around Detroit.