PDA

View Full Version : Millennium Collection - Best of Thelma Houston

test

woodward
05-06-2017, 11:14 AM
I was doing some searching for Thelma Houston on eBay and much to my surprise, I discovered that in 2007 the 20th Century Millennium Collection released a Best of Thelma Houston.

I had never seen nor heard of this product being available in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Millennium-Collection-The-Best-of-Thelma-Houston-CD-2007-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/131773896335?hash=item1eae56168f:m:mwKf6EppA2CgJ6v vHtggvAQ

marv2
05-06-2017, 12:16 PM
I've never heard of this release either, but the track listing is great.

Bluebrock
05-06-2017, 12:27 PM
I was doing some searching for Thelma Houston on eBay and much to my surprise, I discovered that in 2007 the 20th Century Millennium Collection released a Best of Thelma Houston.

I had never seen nor heard of this product being available in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Millennium-Collection-The-Best-of-Thelma-Houston-CD-2007-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-/131773896335?hash=item1eae56168f:m:mwKf6EppA2CgJ6v vHtggvAQ
I have this cd , and whilst it is a good collection it is far from definitive. There are plans for a 2 cd best of compilation in 2018. My advice would be to wait for that.

carole cucumber
05-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Best of Motown or cross label?

sansradio
05-06-2017, 03:16 PM
It's Motown-centric, carole. Essentially a distillation of her Greatest Hits and Rare Classics compilation.

TomatoTom123
05-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Oh yes! The 'best of' Millenium series... all with ridiculously short track listings...!!!

I believe Thelma has had most of her Motown albums reissued on CD. Her 1972 self-titled Motown debut and 1976's Any Way You Like It got expanded editions from soulmusic.com, and The Devil In Me [[1977) and Ride To The Rainbow [[1979) have been reissued on CD by Japanese labels. Thelma's two albums with Jerry Butler, Thelma & Jerry [[1977) and Two To One [[1978) were reissued on a double CD by soulmusic.com as well. I believe Ready To Roll from 1978 and Reachin' All Around from 1982 [[an album of '70s recordings released after Thelma left Motown) are the only ones not available on CD as of May 2017. :)

mysterysinger
05-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Yes it's not a bad CD by Thelma Houston and an awful lot of artists got a Millennium Collection. Even Barrett Strong and the Funk Brothers had one. But as far as I know, the 70s Supremes never got one - seems to be a recurring feature that they don't merit such collections GH&RC being an odd exception.

booty
05-07-2017, 02:31 AM
I have 62 Motown [[or associated) releases in this series. These include cross-label releases on Edwin Starr & Queen Latifah. The set on Grover Washington Jr., includes his Kudu work, while both solo sets on David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks include "A Nite At The Apollo Live!: The Way You Do The Things You Do/My Girl" from their perfomances with Hall & Oates. A second set on Rick James titled "Rick James & Friends", whilst including many of the Motown duets [[Smokey & the 2 with Teena Marie) includes 1 track by Process & The Doo-Rags.Ten of the releases are Christmas albums [[mostly reissues) and include sets by 98 Degrees and Michael McDonald. The second set of the Four Tops covers their ABC years through to their return to Motown. There are also sets by Johnny Gill & Boyz-II-Men.

thommg
05-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Yes it's not a bad CD by Thelma Houston and an awful lot of artists got a Millennium Collection. Even Barrett Strong and the Funk Brothers had one. But as far as I know, the 70s Supremes never got one - seems to be a recurring feature that they don't merit such collections GH&RC being an odd exception.

The 70's Supremes did not get a stand alone Millenium Collection, but Diana Ross & The Supremes had a Volume 2 which included four of their tracks [[Up The Ladder, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones, Floy Joy). I was always glad the 70's Supremes got a 2 cd anthology. The guy at Virgin Records in NYC told me that they sold out pretty quick and that wasn't expected.