PDA

View Full Version : No Gladys and Pips. :[[

test

luke
05-05-2017, 11:57 PM
Went to Barnes and Noble today to get a Gladys and Pips cd and they are now 90 % vinyl! !Just a few CDs of current best sellers. I felt I was in some sort of time warp.

sansradio
05-06-2017, 12:32 AM
Wow, that's crazy. You're in the NYC metro area, right? If so, did you try the Union Square location? Last time I went there, their CD stock was in good shape; in fact, that's where I found my A' GO-GO.

luke
05-06-2017, 07:53 AM
This was in Ct...an hour from NYC. I said to the manager "you went vinyl" and she said"yes"!

nabob
05-06-2017, 06:54 PM
A visit to a nearby mall today found that there aren't any CD stores. Looks like the independents aren't the only ones feeling heat from the on-line retailers. Wish I had thought of Barnes & Noble while I was out.

arr&bee
05-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a vinyl revolution goin on...viva vinyl!!!

vgalindo
05-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Thank god we still have Rasputin. They replaced a lot of the Tower records stores.

marv2
05-07-2017, 03:26 PM
This was in Ct...an hour from NYC. I said to the manager "you went vinyl" and she said"yes"!

Remember Tower Records, Peaches Records, Coconuts, Times Square Records? All long gone now just like Sam Goody's ,the Wiz and Sam the Record Man in Canada.

milven
05-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a vinyl revolution goin on...viva vinyl!!!

A few weeks ago, on Record Store Day, a statistic was given that three million vinyl records were sold this year, more than in the past 25 years. The statistic sounds good and indicates that vinyl has made a bit of a comeback, but digging further into the statistic, 25 years ago, vinyl was on its deathbed, about to die. So vinyl is now selling as well as it did when it was on its deathbed. Also selling three million units is something that one title could have done in a matter of weeks, when the industry was at its peak.

Today, CDs are a dying format - that is why all the retailers are gone. And the downloading, legal and illegal - also seems to be on the way out. Streaming is in. Even Apple realizes this and that is why they inaugurated their streaming service a few years ago, when they saw dwindling downloads from their Apple Store.

While I miss the old Record Industry , with the independent stores and large chains; I have adjusted to this new way of listening to music and have reluctantly accepted it.

But obtaining music in the old industry format of going to your local record shop was so much more fun and sadly missed :[[

marv2
05-07-2017, 04:59 PM
There is a new vinyl record pressing plant that opened in the Detroit Metro area this year.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170222/NEWS/170229942/heres-an-inside-look-at-third-man-records-vinyl-pressing-plant-in

luke
05-07-2017, 06:10 PM
I used to go to Kresgees and record lady Helen would play the new Motown release for me! Or else I probably never would have heard These things will keep me loving you or Just look what you've done!!

marv2
05-07-2017, 06:33 PM
I used to go to Kresgees and record lady Helen would play the new Motown release for me! Or else I probably never would have heard These things will keep me loving you or Just look what you've done!!

I've probably have bought records from 100 different places over my lifetime. I do remember buying them at Woolco, Montgomery Ward, Seligmen Brothers, K-Mart, Woolworths, and dozens of independent record stores around the country. I use to love going to the Glass City Record Shows at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Toledo. The Sunday morning flea markets in Manhattan were great too.

thommg
05-07-2017, 08:58 PM
I've probably have bought records from 100 different places over my lifetime. I do remember buying them at Woolco, Montgomery Ward, Seligmen Brothers, K-Mart, Woolworths, and dozens of independent record stores around the country. I use to love going to the Glass City Record Shows at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Toledo. The Sunday morning flea markets in Manhattan were great too.

Two stores that sold me many LPs were Korvettes & S. Klein. They were both in Maryland, and S. Klein used to package closeout albums as three packs - one cover facing front, one back and the middle was a gamble [[until I learned to read the tiny spines). They also sold their old 45's that way, but in 5 packs. You never knew what you were getting if it wasn't facing out. I collected a lot of early Motown albums that way.

marv2
05-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Two stores that sold me many LPs were Korvettes & S. Klein. They were both in Maryland, and S. Klein used to package closeout albums as three packs - one cover facing front, one back and the middle was a gamble [[until I learned to read the tiny spines). They also sold their old 45's that way, but in 5 packs. You never knew what you were getting if it wasn't facing out. I collected a lot of early Motown albums that way.

I remember Korvettes. They were in NY too. I remember buying records from the ads in Goldmine, bidding on rare ones, order the old lot of 50 lps and not knowing what was going to show up in the box! LOL! I've bought records thru Record Collector Magazine and a local magazine we had in Michigan. Woolco always had the greatest selection of Motown cut outs from the 60s. This was all before Ebay and Amazon.