PDA

View Full Version : Paul and Paula

test

Circa 1824
05-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Very interesting new interview with Paul and Paula.

https://youtu.be/72wJmD03iKg

soulwally
05-02-2017, 06:09 PM
I loved Hey Paul Hey Paula when I was 12!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-03-2017, 02:38 AM
You're right, Circa 1824. That was a really interesting interview! Paul and Paula and I go way back. I bought their Christmas album -- "Holiday For Teens" -- on the same day that Phil Spector's Philles Christmas album hit the stores [[Friday, November 22, 1963) -- which was the same day that JFK was assassinated. I was 12 at the time.

theboyfromxtown
05-03-2017, 03:21 AM
Gary

At 12 years old, you were able to buy 2 albums. Wow. I struggled to buy Dusty's I Only Want To Be With You which was a 45.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-03-2017, 04:45 AM
Gary

At 12 years old, you were able to buy 2 albums. Wow. I struggled to buy Dusty's I Only Want To Be With You which was a 45.

Oh, you weren't alone, John. I, too, struggled at times. I don't remember how I happened to have enough money to buy an album that night, but I wished I could have afforded both! Even at the bargain price of $2.99 for a Mono album at the time, I was forced to choose between the two. After standing there in Grant's store debating for what seemed like forever, Philles lost to Paul & Paula. It's ironic, isn't it! The Philles Christmas album ended up being my all-time favorite album -- let alone favorite Christmas album, yet it lost out to a pop album on the Philips label!

soulwally
05-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Gary

I didn't get my first 'LP' until I was 16 - the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and shortly after the Temptations' Greatest Hits and Marvin's Moods Of...

Circa 1824
05-04-2017, 02:07 PM
According to Wikipedia, Paul and Paula's Holiday for Teens album was number one on Billboard for several weeks.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2017, 02:35 PM
According to Wikipedia, Paul and Paula's Holiday for Teens album was number one on Billboard for several weeks.

Number 1 for several weeks! Wow! I didn't know that, circa 1824, but I'm not at all surprised. "Holiday For Teens" contains some surprisingly good tracks. Check out this bluesy version of "I'll Be Home For Christmas", which closed out the album. Makes you wonder if that was Stevie on harmonica! Nice piano work, too.

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" [[Posted to YouTube by Christophe C.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultmG_045Zw

luke
05-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Did Paul and Paula sing soul music?

marv2
05-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Did Paul and Paula sing soul music?

Sure, check it out,hehehehehehehe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7vcRyBAQZA

kenneth
05-04-2017, 10:15 PM
I think Paul ended up being a very highly regarded producer. I think he produced some hard rock groups...but I might not be remembering that quite right.

You couldn't call them soul, but I think they were soul in the sense that they were inspired by R&B singers, like Dusty and others were. I don't put them in the same camp as, say, Pat Boone who just sang the material in a light pop vein; I think Paul and Paula had some distinction in that they adapted an R&B duo song style which they clearly had affinity for but put it in a more pop sensibility. I think they did justice to their material, rather than Boone and the other pop acts like Theresa Brewer, who just kind of watered it down.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Did Paul & Paula sing "Soul" music? Not in the sense of Sam & Dave, obviously. I doubt if they would have ever been offered a contract at Stax Records, but.... [[Then, again, Stax signed Lena Zavaroni, so who knows!) A record's soulfulness is in the ears of the beholder, regardless of who the artist may be. To me, Puccini's music has more soul than any rap artist I've ever heard. To each his own.

Philles/Motown Gary
05-04-2017, 11:50 PM
I didn't get my first 'LP' until I was 16 - the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and shortly after the Temptations' Greatest Hits and Marvin's Moods Of...
Well, soulwally, you started out your album collection with some real good ones!

luke
05-04-2017, 11:52 PM
I hear you. Leslie Gore topped the R&B charts with Its My Party!

Philles/Motown Gary
05-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Yeah, Luke. I love Lesley Gore. I had all of her albums, and now all of her CD's. Her best material was her Mercury albums -- most of which were produced by Quincy Jones.

marv2
05-05-2017, 10:50 AM

Yes, produced by Quincy Jones. He also produced her "Maybe I Know" which is pretty much a standard R&B record.

marv2
05-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Yeah, Luke. I love Lesley Gore. I had all of her albums, and now all of her CD's. Her best material was her Mercury albums -- most of which were produced by Quincy Jones.

Exactly! Quincy has produce all sorts of artists throughout the years.