PDA

View Full Version : Supremes a Go Go - My Review

test

kenneth
05-02-2017, 12:07 AM
I'm posting this review on Amazon but thought I'd post it here as well. Sorry it's so long! Didn't seem to be able to even say all I wanted to!

The Ultimate Supremes Album is Released in Glorious Form by Motown/Universal

Although there were many incarnations [[read: lineups) of the Supremes, when a true fan hears “Supremes,” he or she only thinks Diane, Florence and Mary. This then is the ultimate Supremes album. The Supremes at the peak and pinnacle of what made they who they were. Any later lineups, even just a couple years later, coincided with evolutions in their sound which, while still distinctive because of Ross singing lead, lost their unique character and sound as Florence and Mary were increasingly augmented [[or even replaced) in the background by Motown’s super studio backup group, the Andantes.

This is one of the last studio albums with the original lineup of Diane, Mary and Flo. It also contains two of their greatest songs. The first, “Love is Like an Itching in My Heart,” a stomping, floor filling, soul shouter, which was not typical Supremes, and certainly not a typical Ross lead vocal, something more you might associate with Martha and the Vandellas. This may have ultimately confused the fans because it wasn’t as big a hit as it might have been, considering the place it ultimately carved for itself in Supremes history. The second, “You Can’t Hurry Love,” is the much covered, true Supremes “anthem” with a throbbing, pulsating Holland Dozier Holland musical background, during their truly golden period. They used the same beat and rhythms on a few other hits from the era, “All I Need” [[for the Temptations) and “I’m Ready for Love” by Martha and the Vandellas.

Those two tracks alone would make the album a keeper. But to flesh out the singles into an LP, Berry Gordy had the girls cover a host of their stable mates’ originals songs, such as the Isley Bros. “This Old Heart of Mine,” the Four Tops’ “I Can’t Help Myself,” and the Temptations’ “Get Ready” as well as having them cover other hit songs of the era such as Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’,” and the McCoys’ “Hang on Sloopy” [[really!).

The album glitters from start to finish. This actually was never a favorite Supremes album of mine. To me, the covers seemed a little rushed and “rote,” perhaps. But the masters at Motown/Universal have gone all out in recapturing the original magic of this groundbreaking trio. The sounds are fresh, “mod” and exciting, as if you are hearing them for the first time. The Funk Brothers never sounded better and are truly in their element. The legendary James Jamerson on bass, Benny Benjamin on drums, I mean these guys just seem to love these songs. It’s almost as if by covering songs they’d done before [[at least in the case of the Motown artists), the Funk Brothers were able to amp up the musical ante even more the second time, to, as they say “stretch out” in the music. It’s fun and fabulous.

Hard to believe that Diane Ross was barely 21 at the time. One can only appreciate later in life what those times must have been for her. Clearly, whatever you think of the lady, she embraced being a career artist fully, and likely no one ever worked harder to get and stay on top. In a way she was the Joan Crawford of the music industry [[I in no way mean in her personal life, however. What I mean is she worked harder than anyone to be who she was to the public.)

The first of the two discs is the original album in both Monaural and Stereo mixes, followed by a few bonus tracks. Back during these transitional years when the recording industry went from Mono to Stereo, singles were still all produced in Mono only, but albums came out in both Mono and Stereo versions. Many people started buying Stereo albums right around then, so it got to be common that one knew the single sounded somewhat different than the album version. But the differences didn't always mean the Stereo version was better. Berry Gordy was said to make sure his single releases sounded good on a recreated “car radio” in the listening room, so he would know how it would sound to “the kids.” The Mono mixes generally had more punch and immediacy. Anyway, it’s fun to debate it. Some songs seem to leap out of the speakers, the girls' version of "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'," for one. I never liked their arrangement of this; it always seemed insipid and uninspired. Well, the remaster geniuses have amped up the bass and percussion, and the Ross vocal [[I don't even think this one has any backgrounds) truly rivals that of Nancy Sinatra's cynical, tough reading of the lyric. And anyone who claims that Ross could never sing soul [[a belief I long held) should hear her version of the early Motown Barrett Strong classic, "Money [[That's What I Want)." She truly wails the lyric! Again, the Funk Brothers go all out on the instrumentation.

The second of these two glorious discs is made up of outtakes, alternates and a few surprises: one, a combination/mash-up of “Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It’s Over)” which combines the original 4 Tops recording with the Supremes cover, making a very real sounding and fun duet. [[The 70s version of the Supremes, with lead singer Jean Terrell, recorded three albums with the 4 Tops several years later.) Another great surprise is a truly awesome remix of the leadoff single, “Love is Like an Itching in My Heart,” which still has the immediacy, the itch, today that it did when it first came out.

Along with all the excellent surprises of the first and second disc, the producers have enclosed not one, but TWO marvelous booklets. The first has the usual detail of the release, what led to it, and the Supremes Timeline continues from the last release in the Expanded series, "I Hear a Symphony." The second booklet is an especial treat. It is a reproduction of a complete Supremes tour booklet from the era. Lots of rare photos, public relation blurbs, and ads for other Motown albums make you feel you're back at a Supremes concert, which [[who knows?) might have cost all of $5.00 at the time - which would have been a lot to a teenager in the 60s - clutching your souvenir program while hearing all the great music. Everything about the packaging, just like the mastering and song selection, prove that this truly was a labor of love for all concerned.

This then is truly the ultimate Supremes album, and Motown/Universal whose team includes many of the experts who used to produce the releases at Motown Select/Hip-O has truly delivered a glorious gift to the girls’ many fans. If anyone ever asks you who the Supremes were, play the two singles off the “A Go Go” album, or, better yet, play them the entire 2-disc set!

vgalindo
05-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Great review. But I thought Hipo Select was no more. My copy doesn't show Hip-O. It shows Motown UMG.

kenneth
05-02-2017, 12:39 AM
Great review. But I thought Hipo Select was no more. My copy doesn't show Hip-O. It shows Motown UMG.

Oh, I didn't even realize that! Wow, I better change it. Thanks vgalindo.

sansradio
05-02-2017, 01:33 AM
Wonderful review, Kenneth! Why not add commentary about the packaging/photos/two booklets as well?

kenneth
05-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Wonderful review, Kenneth! Why not add commentary about the packaging/photos/two booklets as well?

Thanks, sansradio. I'll do that.

luke
05-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Excellent Kenneth. Thanks!

kenneth
05-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Excellent Kenneth. Thanks!

Thanks luke!

danman869
05-02-2017, 11:14 AM
Keep in mind, as well, that any tracks recorded in Los Angeles were not The Funk Brothers, but mostly the L.A. session players collectively known as The Wrecking Crew. You kind of attributed the sound of the entire set to The Funks and, alas, it wasn't all them.

kenneth
05-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Keep in mind, as well, that any tracks recorded in Los Angeles were not The Funk Brothers, but mostly the L.A. session players collectively known as The Wrecking Crew. You kind of attributed the sound of the entire set to The Funks and, alas, it wasn't all them.

Oh, I see. Does the booklet indicate who/which are on backgrounds? So the numbers that they mention were recorded in LA would have been the Wrecking Crew? They're certainly worth a mention, too...an awesome group of musicians. I'll revise it a bit to say so later. Thanks danman869.

thommg
05-02-2017, 12:59 PM
Great review! I posted mine on Amazon as well. As I listen to this set, I find that when an arrangement has been altered to fit the Supremes sound, I like it more. For instance, Heatwave & It's The Same Old Song. When the arrangement is like the original, I always seem to hear the original artist. Not that I dislike the Supremes version but the original wasn't created for them. and sometimes the instrumentals are too bombastic. Still, I can't stop playing this set! It has been non-stop since I got it last week and shows no signs of stopping. It truly is one of the clearest, most distinctive deluxe editions that have been produced. And the others are nothing to sneeze at! Thank goodness for physical product! I keep pulling out the booklets and re-reading the notes. I am a very happy camper.

Motown Eddie
05-03-2017, 03:49 PM
Great review Kenneth. Just received my copy in the mail and playing it right now. And I always learn something new from reading the detailed booklet that came with the set [[and I also love that they included the vintage 1966 Supremes program with the collection). Supremacy!

kenneth
05-03-2017, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I hope this set sells great! There's already at least 11 five star reviews on Amazon.

huntergettingcaptured
05-04-2017, 03:05 AM
Oh, I see. Does the booklet indicate who/which are on backgrounds? So the numbers that they mention were recorded in LA would have been the Wrecking Crew? They're certainly worth a mention, too...an awesome group of musicians. I'll revise it a bit to say so later. Thanks danman869.

It's rather clever how the songs on A-Go-Go are sequenced; the Detroit Funk Brothers tunes are alternated with the West Coast sessions on both sides of the album:

1. Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart- Detroit /Funk Brothers
2. This Old Heart Of Mine- West Coast
3. You Can't Hurry Love- Detroit / Funk Brothers
4. Shake Me, Wake Me- West Coast
5. Baby I Need Your Loving- Detroit-Funk Brothers
6. These Boots Are Made For Walking- West Coast
7. I Can't Help Myself- Detroit / Funk Brothers
8. Get Ready- West Coast
9. Put Yourself In My Place- Detroit / Funk Brothers
10. Money That's What I Want- West Coast [[this one fooled me for the longest time!)
11. Come And Get These Memories- Detroit / Funk Brothers
12. Hang On Sloopy- West Coast

By the way, I LOVE your review because it's obviously written out of pure love for the group, the music and the album. Your joy comes through so much!

kenneth
05-04-2017, 10:06 AM
@huntergettingcaptured, thanks for the good words and thanks especially for the breakdown of the tracks and who was on background. I'll revise my review to mention that. Great observation of how the album was sequenced. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize what you told me!

Yeah, I agree, hard to believe that "Money" was the West Coast! That track simply struts!

kenneth
05-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Interesting. I guess I'm out of "edits" on the SDF post so I can't post the changes here, but I did in the version on Amazon.

Thanks again, huntergettingcaptured, for your keen insights!

TomatoTom123
05-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Interesting. I guess I'm out of "edits" on the SDF post so I can't post the changes here, but I did in the version on Amazon.

Hey kenneth, I'm not sure but I believe there is actually a time limit on editing posts on Soulful Detroit; I think you can edit a post as much as you like until 24 hours after you originally made the post. After that the 'edit' icon no longer appears and you can no longer make changes to your post. I think that's how it works, but I've never actually tried waiting a day to find out! :)

kenneth
05-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Hey kenneth, I'm not sure but I believe there is actually a time limit on editing posts on Soulful Detroit; I think you can edit a post as much as you like until 24 hours after you originally made the post. After that the 'edit' icon no longer appears and you can no longer make changes to your post. I think that's how it works, but I've never actually tried waiting a day to find out!

That must be it!

Circa 1824
05-04-2017, 02:04 PM
I got mine yesterday from Amazon. Well, one word is all that is needed - BRILLIANT. The legendary Miss Ross never sounded better, more crisp, and more alive. This confirms that Miss Ross was the Supremes. Her young speaking voice is identical to her son Evan's.

huntergettingcaptured
05-04-2017, 03:44 PM
@huntergettingcaptured, thanks for the good words and thanks especially for the breakdown of the tracks and who was on background. I'll revise my review to mention that. Great observation of how the album was sequenced. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize what you told me!

Yeah, I agree, hard to believe that "Money" was the West Coast! That track simply struts!

Hi Kenneth, I was planning on buying the CD, but reading the excitement of your review REALLY put the gasoline to the fuse for me. I don't mind at all if you want to just "cut and paste" the track listing, lol! I'll tell you a funny story about when I first bought this album. It was in the 80's when Motown was re-issuing a lot of their classic albums. Before I got this one, I had gotten a tribute album after Marvin Gaye's death. The album was all previously unreleased material. I don't know why, but every track was overdubbed with new instrumentation, synthesizers. I was pretty bummed about it, but a few of the songs actually didn't sound all that bad but still I wanted to hear the original music.

Ok, I bought the Supremes A-Go-Go album and when I played it, for the life of me I couldn't understand why some of the tracks sounded "foreign" to me. Well, I thought that once again, someone figured to dub over the original music! I was full of righteous indignation ha, ha! Then, I found an original 1960's album in a second-hand store and thought at last I'll hear what the REAL music sounds like! Of course, I found out that WAS the real music on those other tracks! Only years later did I learn about Motown recording at times on the West Coast. Funny, but after that, I actually started to like those "odd-sounding" tracks. You know how it is- sometimes the music you start out hating ends up becoming the music you love. And I certainly love the whole of A-Go-Go!

[[and kudos to those West Coast guys on "Money." They really played the heck out of that tune! I love how they have the bass drum just driving and pounding all the way through. That song sounds so down and dirty in the best way!)

thommg
05-04-2017, 04:08 PM
I got mine yesterday from Amazon. Well, one word is all that is needed - BRILLIANT. The legendary Miss Ross never sounded better, more crisp, and more alive. This confirms that Miss Ross was the Supremes. Her young speaking voice is identical to her son Evan's.

I had the exact opposite reaction - I thought the sound made when I heard all three voices working together was what I called The Supremes. Luckily, this release makes the backgrounds even clearer in many of the songs. The trio sound is the one I love.

kenneth
05-04-2017, 04:22 PM
I had the exact opposite reaction - I thought the sound made when I heard all three voices working together was what I called The Supremes. Luckily, this release makes the backgrounds even clearer in many of the songs. The trio sound is the one I love.

I agree. They were really a group then. I think the comment was intended to provoke. Let's not let the poster take us down that path...