PDA

View Full Version : How did we miss the passing of Lonnie Brooks?

test

daviddesper
05-02-2017, 12:04 AM
I just read today in an issue of Time magazine that was about a month old that Lonnie Brooks passed away sometime recently. I don't know the date or cause of death but he was 83.

I am a faithful reader on here as well as a number of music magazines but never saw it mentioned anywhere other than Time. That is the part that surprised me the most.

For you younger folks that might not know the name, he was an old-school blues artist who recorded for the Alligator label. He did some great duets with the Queen of the Blues, the late Koko Taylor, my favorite being "It's a Dirty Job."

Nothing But Soul
05-02-2017, 04:14 PM
There were articles written about Lonnie in the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and New York Times, along with various other publications, when he passed last month. When I lived in Chicago [[1977-84), Lonnie was one of the top club acts in town, and I used to catch his performances on a regular basis. Because he got his start in the east Texas/Louisiana area, he had a "swamp" thing going on in his music which made him different from other blues artists in Chicago at that time.