PDA

View Full Version : LaBelle - "The Anthology" 2CD collection [[including solo tracks) coming 6/16/2017

test

Motown Eddie
05-01-2017, 06:34 AM
LaBelle - The Anthology 2CD collection coming 6/17/2017.

SoulMusic Records is very proud to present a first-of-it's kind anthology that includes key tracks from the pioneering group Labelle recorded between 1973-1976 for RCA and Epic; and solo recordings by Sarah Dash [[1978-1981, for Kirshner); Nona Hendryx [[1979 for Arista and 1983-1986 for RCA); and Patti LaBelle [[1977-1980 for Epic Records). Among the 36 tracks are three tracks by Nona only released in Europe, single edits of charted hits by the group, Nona and Patti and key album cuts by Sarah, Patti and the trio. Formed in the early 60s in Philadelphia as Patti LaBelle & The Bluebelles [[with a line-up that included Cindy Birdsong), original members Patti LaBelle, Nona Hendryx and Sarah Dash morphed into Labelle, described in the notes for this tour-de-force 2-CD by renowned US author Rashod Ollison as 'intergalactic divas' with the guidance of British music industry maven Vicki Wickham. Known for their powerhouse performances and futuristic outfits, Labelle enjoyed an international breakthrough in 1975 with "Lady Marmalade" from one of the three albums recorded for Epic Records; the ten cuts by the trio featured here include 'Something In The Air/The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' [[from the one-off RCA 1973 LP, "Pressure Cookin'") and three key album cuts [['Are You Lonely?,' 'You Turn Me On' and 'Who's Watching The Watcher'. Following Labelle's 1976 breakup, Patti began recording for Epic Records and in addition to US charted singles, compiler David Nathan of SoulMusic Records has included two soulful LP cuts drawn from her four solo LPs for the label. Sarah started recording for Kirshner Records in 1978 and included are her big club hit, 'Sinner Man' and selections from her three LPs for the label. Nona's ten cuts featured on the anthology include three tracks recorded for Arista Records in 1979 that are gaining their first release outside Europe; and her seven US charted singles from the three LPs she recorded for RCA in the early to mid-80s. In addition to notes by Ollison with 2017 quotes from Sarah and Nona, an additional essay by David Nathan on the solo recordings also includes comments from both.

Disc: 1 1. Something in the Air/The Revolution Will Not Be

2. Televised

3. Lady Marmalade [[Single Edit)

4. Are You Lonely?

5. What Can I Do for You? [[Single Edit)

6. Nightbird

7. You Turn Me on

8. Messin' with My Mind [[Single Edit)

9. Get You Somebody New

10. Who's Watching the Watcher

11. Isn't It a Shame

12. I Can't Believe [[Someone Like You Could Really Love Me)

13. [[Come and Take This) Candy from Your Baby

14. Sinner Man

15. Oo-La-La, Too Soon

16. Leaving Again

17. You're the Only One That I Ever Needed

18. King of Hearts

19. Casanova

Disc: 2

1. B-Boys [[Single Edit)

2. Keep It Confidential [[Single Edit)

3. Transformation [[Single Edit)

4. I Sweat [[Going Through the Motions) [[Single Edit)

5. To the Bone

6. I Need Love [[Remix)

7. If Looks Could Kill [[D.O.A.)

8. Joy to Have Your Love [[Single Edit)

9. Dan Swit Me [[Single Edit)

10. Teach Me Tonight [[Me Gusta Tu Baile) [[Single Edit)

11. Music Is My Way of Life [[Single Edit)

12. Release [[The Tension)

13. It's Alright with Me [[Single Edit)

14. Little Girls [[Single Edit)

15. My Best Was Good Enough

16. I Don't Go Shopping

17. You Are My Friend

18. Love and Learn

https://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Including-Solo-Recordings-Sarah/dp/B06ZYTDKR1/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1493634609&sr=1-1&keywords=labelle

PeaceNHarmony
05-01-2017, 07:39 AM
SoulMusic and David Nathan always create a good release. I have most of this material but will look forward to this one.

glencro
05-01-2017, 10:00 AM
sounds like a good release

luke
05-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Great this is coming. Too bad Can I Go With You to Hollywood not included.

sansradio
05-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Incredible! Count me in! Incidentally, I spotted a Moonshadow CD this weekend on my favorite CD shop's shelves. I never knew it was ever released on CD! [[I passed on it, though; it was 21 bucks and I only need "Peace with Yourself" for my collection, which is easily downloadable.)

lakeside
05-01-2017, 12:28 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71q4TSoNBrL._SL1200_.jpg

Guy
05-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Umm...none of Labelle's best tracks are included. I like the Nona tracks but all the Patti and Sarah tracks are available on CD and or downloadable. A missed opportunity. I will skip this one.

Circa 1824
05-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Patti looks terrible in that pic.

daviddesper
05-02-2017, 12:16 AM
Not to take the spotlight off Labelle, but when I looked this release up on Amazon, that led me to discover other upcoming Double CD releases, some of which will excite me even more. I guess they are all part of the same series. So for those of you who have not yet heard of these, check out the ones about to come out by Angela Bofill, The Pointer Sisters, The Three Degrees, Teena Marie, and Odyssey. There is surely something in there for everyone!!!

PeaceNHarmony
05-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Incredible! Count me in! Incidentally, I spotted a Moonshadow CD this weekend on my favorite CD shop's shelves. I never knew it was ever released on CD! [[I passed on it, though; it was 21 bucks and I only need "Peace with Yourself" for my collection, which is easily downloadable.)
It's taken me a while to reply to this TRAVESTY of a comment; I had to retreat to my fainting sofa with a cup of locally sourced herb tea and try to cleanse myself from the thought that ANYONE would not know that the 'Moonshadow' album was not released on CD by Wounded Bird, along with the first Labelle LP. Now, being centered once again, I run [[RUN!!) for my smelling salts to think that ANYONE would not want their own copy of this title, which includes the 9 minute take on the title track, a blistering cover of the Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again', and the early Nona masterpiece 'I Believe That I've Finally Made It Home'. :rolleyes:

sansradio
05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
Oh, my, PeaceNHarmony, why not say how you really feel next time?!? ;) I obviously missed this momentous release. As I alluded to before, I have a ripped-from-vinyl file of most of this set and couldn't justify the purchase at that price at the time for just one track. I trust that you've recovered fully and hope that I'm still in your good graces. :p

Guy
05-02-2017, 04:05 PM
A 2-CD collection titled "Labelle: The Anthology" that includes nothing from "Labelle" or "Moonshadow" is d.o.a.

marv2
05-02-2017, 08:00 PM
They seem to be missing Nona's "Why Should I Cry" and "Baby Go-Go".

MOTOWNLYNDA
05-03-2017, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know why there is no Labelle unreleased tracks from 1974-1976?

sansradio
05-03-2017, 04:46 AM
Does anyone know why there is no Labelle unreleased tracks from 1974-1976?

I was under the impression that they were working on an album to be entitled SHAMAN at the time of their break-up. I don't know how many [[if any) tracks exist from that project, for example. It is curious that no unreleased cuts appear on this release.

PeaceNHarmony
05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
I was under the impression that they were working on an album to be entitled SHAMAN at the time of their break-up. I don't know how many [[if any) tracks exist from that project, for example. It is curious that no unreleased cuts appear on this release.
Well. One has redeemed ones' self. Yes, that is my impression as well but I don't remember or know if any material had actually been recorded. Labelle had made several live appearances on the PBS music series 'Soul' which have been archived [[I forget how or where, but I do know you have to be doing some sort of viable research to view the material) so those live tracks would be wonderful.

PeaceNHarmony
05-03-2017, 07:00 AM
A 2-CD collection titled "Labelle: The Anthology" that includes nothing from "Labelle" or "Moonshadow" is d.o.a.
I largely agree; as a 'Labelle' anthology it's my opinion that it should contain more group/less solo, but I guess David Nathan has his reasons.

Bluebrock
05-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Not to take the spotlight off Labelle, but when I looked this release up on Amazon, that led me to discover other upcoming Double CD releases, some of which will excite me even more. I guess they are all part of the same series. So for those of you who have not yet heard of these, check out the ones about to come out by Angela Bofill, The Pointer Sisters, The Three Degrees, Teena Marie, and Odyssey. There is surely something in there for everyone!!!
There are several more too including Kashif, Mtume, Mothers Finest, Manhattans, Denice Williams, Norman Connors and Melba Moore with others also in the pipeline.

sansradio
05-04-2017, 01:53 PM
There are several more too including Kashif, Mtume, Mothers Finest, Manhattans, Denice Williams, Norman Connors and Melba Moore with others also in the pipeline.

Bluebrock!!! Where the heck have you been?!??

PeaceNHarmony
05-04-2017, 03:03 PM
In your suspicious absence [[ insert smiley) some of these are out now and available for convenient gift-giving!

luke
05-04-2017, 11:57 PM
Miss Otis Regrets was recorded for their last album that wasn't released and appeared on their 2008 reunion album as well as The truth will set you free that was also supposed to be on their unreleased album

daviddesper
05-05-2017, 12:06 AM
The website Deep Discount has some of these releases priced at $7.35 and you get free shipping if you order $25.00 or more. I always get great service from them. However, no one is quoting a price for Labelle thus far, except for Amazon, which is saying $16.99. I am assuming that cheaper prices will be advertised as it gets closer to release time.

Bluebrock
05-05-2017, 02:02 AM
In your suspicious absence [[ insert smiley) some of these are out now and available for convenient gift-giving!
Kashif and Mtume available from today!

Bluebrock
05-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Bluebrock!!! Where the heck have you been?!??
I have been taking a break due to serious family issues.

sansradio
05-05-2017, 04:00 AM
I have been taking a break due to serious family issues.

Sorry to hear. I pray that all is improving for you and your family.

Bluebrock
05-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Sorry to hear. I pray that all is improving for you and your family.
Thank you . I appreciate that.

sansradio
05-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Miss Otis Regrets was recorded for their last album that wasn't released and appeared on their 2008 reunion album as well as The truth will set you free that was also supposed to be on their unreleased album

Technically, "Miss Otis..." was recorded for their first album as Labelle in 1971.

luke
05-06-2017, 08:20 PM
I assume they re recorded it for 2008 album?

sansradio
05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Nope, it's the original recording. The production values [[and the timbre of Patti's voice) have 1970 written all over them!

luke
05-07-2017, 09:29 AM
They sure replicated it beautifully when I saw them at Apollo in 2008!

brother_love
05-08-2017, 09:03 PM

This single was released in 1976 on Track Records in England. For many years it was consider the groups rarest 45 and was pretty hard to come by. Vicki Wickham their manager and at times producer was not aware it had ever been issued until the recording of Back To Now in 2008. Luckily she was able to license it and include it on the album for all to enjoy.

In 1971, Labelle recorded an albums worth of demos that never came out. The recordings consisted of twelve tracks with just piano and vocals.

sansradio
05-09-2017, 01:35 AM

This single was released in 1976 on Track Records in England. For many years it was consider the groups rarest 45 and was pretty hard to come by. Vicki Wickham their manager and at times producer was not aware it had ever been issued until the recording of Back To Now in 2008. Luckily she was able to license it and include it on the album for all to enjoy.

In 1971, Labelle recorded an albums worth of demos that never came out. The recordings consisted of twelve tracks with just piano and vocals.

Wowww, thanks, brother_love!

PeaceNHarmony
05-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Interesting; I had not known there was 'Labelle' material recorded before the Warner Bros 'Labelle' LP [['the one with the gymnastic hoops') which remains an all-time favorite of mine. SO strange that 'Miss Otis ...', a 1940s Cole Porter song, was chosen at that time to be recorded by this revolutionary group; that's probably a back-story in itself! 'Miss Otis ...' was the opening song in the performances I saw of the 2008 reunion shows [[which were superb; I never thought in a million years that there would be full-length shows by the trio again, and they were amazing).