View Full Version : SPOTLIGHT: THE FOUR TOPS An Extraordinary Group

test

marv2
04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
This is great overview of the Tops history and accomplishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtel0woWn0&t=330s

jobucats
04-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Marv. I realize that media projects need to be marketable in order to get "off the ground,", however, I've often wondered why there hasn't been an autobiographical book about the Tops. Even better yet, how about a movie that chronicles how they were one of the few groups in history who stayed together as a unit from their inception until the deaths of three of its members. Has Duke ever mentioned about ever being approached about a movie projects? Thoughts, anyone? Would such a movie be just as marketable/accepted as the bios on other groups? Also, I feel so confident that a bio-drama on Marvin Gaye would have mass appeal, and I heard bits and pieces in the past about such a project starting to begin. Wouldn't Maxwell be an excellent person to consider casting for the role of Marvin?

marv2
04-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Marv. I realize that media projects need to be marketable in order to get "off the ground,", however, I've often wondered why there hasn't been an autobiographical book about the Tops. Even better yet, how about a movie that chronicles how they were one of the few groups in history who stayed together as a unit from their inception until the deaths of three of its members. Has Duke ever mentioned about ever being approached about a movie projects? Thoughts, anyone? Would such a movie be just as marketable/accepted as the bios on other groups? Also, I feel so confident that a bio-drama on Marvin Gaye would have mass appeal, and I heard bits and pieces in the past about such a project starting to begin. Wouldn't Maxwell be an excellent person to consider casting for the role of Marvin?

You are most welcome Jobucats. I hate to say it,but I think I got part of the answer to your questions while watching this 25 min video promotion of a DVD series released on the various Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies and jam sessions. I kept waiting to see all of the Motown artists that were inducted and also performed at the different ceremonies. I was very disappointed when they were not mentioned and would include the Four Tops! Now Duke has talked about in passing putting together something for the stage in terms of a play about the group. He's mention an exhibit of all their old stage costumes etc, etc.

I think that a movie would be marketable if it followed certain rules and that is sensationalism. You see the Tops were always looked upon as a clean cut group with a tremendous lead singer and expert harmonizers. They never really learned of the groups early and internal struggles. Their longevity is to be admired and commended but it will take more than that to sell a movie about them.

If one was ever done, I would not like it to be produced in the same way the Temptations movie was produced at all!

Ozmo
04-28-2017, 10:37 PM
I really hope that Duke gets a book deal. The Four Tops are one of the most beloved of vocal groups and I'm sure that there are some interesting stories to tell.

marv2
05-01-2017, 09:02 PM
I really hope that Duke gets a book deal. The Four Tops are one of the most beloved of vocal groups and I'm sure that there are some interesting stories to tell.

I'm now wondering if he is pursuing a book deal.

Encyclopedia Mack
05-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Duke has talked about a book for years. I hope we see it soon. The Tops are one of the all time great groups. They are overlooked sadly.

theboyfromxtown
05-06-2017, 06:03 PM
I seem to recall Sharon Davies telling me that Duke wasn't keen on writing a book but if he was to change his mind, he would definitely be talking to Sharon.

FYI, Sharon set up the UK Four Tops Fan Club back in the 60's.

marv2
05-06-2017, 06:10 PM
I seem to recall Sharon Davies telling me that Duke wasn't keen on writing a book but if he was to change his mind, he would definitely be talking to Sharon.

FYI, Sharon set up the UK Four Tops Fan Club back in the 60's.

I remember Sharon. I have one or two of her Motown related books.

marv2
05-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Duke has talked about a book for years. I hope we see it soon. The Tops are one of the all time great groups. They are overlooked sadly.

Their music still gets played, but I know what you mean about being overlooked. They put on some really excellent shows every time I've seen them.

theboyfromxtown
05-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Their music still gets played, but I know what you mean about being overlooked. They put on some really excellent shows every time I've seen them.

Overlooked.........a word I seem to use in every sentence when I mention the Velvelettes! lol

To be fair, the Tops are really well established in the UK...much more than the Temps.

marv2
05-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Overlooked.........a word I seem to use in every sentence when I mention the Velvelettes! lol

To be fair, the Tops are really well established in the UK...much more than the Temps.

All you need to look no further than this forum and you will see that almost everyone gets overlooked except one skinny little singer from Detroit. She gets a thread just for sneezing.