PDA

View Full Version : WWIN Baltimore Top 40 Songs week of 7/19/1965

test

woodward
04-25-2017, 02:47 PM
I was doing a little research on WWIN, Baltimore. I used to have over 100 different Top 40 Sheets that they issued in the 1960's. I wish I still had them, but it caused me to do some research to see if I could locate any via the internet.

http://blog.backspinradio.net/2013/08/music-survey-wwin-baltimore-md-top-40-tunes-july-19-1965/

It is interesting to note that 7 of the top 40 or 18% were Motown songs. Especially noteworthy was that the Top 4 on the list were all Motown.

1. Tracks Of My Tears - Miracles
2. Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations
3. First I Look at the Purse - Contours
4. Down to Earth - Billy Eckstine

19. I'll Keep Holding On - Marvelettes
20. Pretty Little Baby - Marvin Gaye
25. It's the Same Old Song - Four Tops

What surprises me the most about the survey is #4. I do have this 45 in both vinyl and in the Complete Motown Singles series. I must admit I do not recall any of the song whatsoever. I will have to get it out and check it out. I am shocked it hit #4.

marv2
04-25-2017, 02:50 PM
I love looking at old radio station hit playlists. Thank you for this timecapsule Woodward.

woodward
04-25-2017, 05:44 PM
I love looking at old radio station hit playlists. Thank you for this timecapsule Woodward.

Marv: What are your thoughts on #4 - Billy Eckstine? Didn't that shock you?

marv2
04-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Marv: What are your thoughts on #4 - Billy Eckstine? Didn't that shock you?

It kind of did, but not really. Each area or region had made certain records hits! Florence Ballard's record "Love Ain't Love" made the Top 30 on local radio station WKLR in Toledo in 1968, but if you listen to some, her records flopped. I kid you not, I have never heard that recording by Billy Eckstine that I can remember.

RanRan79
04-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Her records did flop. They may have played "Love Aint Love" in Toledo but they didn't play it much of anywhere else. But Woodward that's the interesting thing about these regional lists. Some songs did great in a certain local market but nationally most everyone else might never hear the particular song. It's certainly surprising to see "Down To Earth" being played on par with "Since I Lost My Baby" and "Tracks of My Tears".

TheMotownManiac
04-26-2017, 04:36 AM
It kind of did, but not really. Each area or region had made certain records hits! Florence Ballard's record "Love Ain't Love" made the Top 30 on local radio station WKLR in Toledo in 1968, but if you listen to some, her records flopped. I kid you not, I have never heard that recording by Billy Eckstine that I can remember.
Both of Flo's singles got played in St. Louis and Love Ain't love made it to the mid 30s on the soul station chart and I bought it. However I did hear the other single Enough to know that I didn't like it.

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 09:01 AM
Both of Flo's singles got played in St. Louis and Love Ain't love made it to the mid 30s on the soul station chart and I bought it. However I did hear the other single Enough to know that I didn't like it.

Just think if the label had gotten behind "Love Aint Love" the song could have really done something. I like "It Doesn't Matter" but "Love Aint Love" should have been the hit.

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 07:27 PM
I was doing a little research on WWIN, Baltimore. I used to have over 100 different Top 40 Sheets that they issued in the 1960's. I wish I still had them, but it caused me to do some research to see if I could locate any via the internet.

http://blog.backspinradio.net/2013/08/music-survey-wwin-baltimore-md-top-40-tunes-july-19-1965/

It is interesting to note that 7 of the top 40 or 18% were Motown songs. Especially noteworthy was that the Top 4 on the list were all Motown.

1. Tracks Of My Tears - Miracles
2. Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations
3. First I Look at the Purse - Contours
4. Down to Earth - Billy Eckstine

19. I'll Keep Holding On - Marvelettes
20. Pretty Little Baby - Marvin Gaye
25. It's the Same Old Song - Four Tops

What surprises me the most about the survey is #4. I do have this 45 in both vinyl and in the Complete Motown Singles series. I must admit I do not recall any of the song whatsoever. I will have to get it out and check it out. I am shocked it hit #4.

This is interesting, thank you, Bill. And you're right, it is very surprising seeing Billy Eckstine's MOR Motown track "Down To Earth" up there with Smokey's soul classics "The Tracks Of My Tears" and "Since I Lost My Baby". However, I am so pleased to see The Contours' "First I Look At The Purse" [[which also happens to be a Smokey song!) at the very top too... it is an incredibly underrated Motown classic that deserves to be there!

By the way, I just realised that Smokey Robinson was both the writer and producer of the Top 3 records in Baltimore at this time! How brilliant. :)

jsmith
04-27-2017, 05:00 AM
WWIN calling ...

jsmith
04-27-2017, 05:01 AM
WWIN calling ....

jsmith
04-27-2017, 05:02 AM
WWIN calling .....

marv2
04-27-2017, 11:22 AM

It, along with "It Doesn't Matter How I Say It" also made it onto WCHB's charts in Detroit too.

drlorne
04-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks for these. I haven't even heard of some of these artists, and have compilations by others, but didn't know some of the songs were hits. [[Baby Washington, Gene Chandler).