PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin & Halle Berry

test

nabob
01-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm surprised that no one posted this, yet. Aretha's top choice for playing her as an adult in a biopic is Ms Berry. I love my queen dearly and will not argue that Ms Berry doesn't project the image. Here's a link:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/18/halle-berry-would-entertain-the-idea-of-playing-queen-of-soul/?hpt=C2

Motown_M_1056
01-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Uh huh. Yeah, right.

topdiva1
01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Still this choice really shows us RERE's mental state - that she believes she looks like Halle - now that is sad - Somebody had to say it - why tip toe around it - that is just crazy casting.

nysister
01-19-2011, 02:42 AM
I always thought that Toni Braxton look like a young Ree Ree, especially when Toni first came out. I guess in order to get the funding from the powers that be, they want a big name like Halley. Everyone is saying that Jennifer Hudson should play her, but I don't know. Angela Bassett did a good job lipsyncing Tina and she looked nothing like Tina so maybe Halley could make it work.

MissLish
01-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Why is that the first thing folks discuss when it comes to casting is looks? Some of y'all may recall a movie entitled Lady Sings the Blues? The actress who was nominated for an Academy Award looked nothing like Billie Holliday. I kinda like the idea of a sexy Queen of Soul. If Halle has the acting chops, and it has been proven, the girl has skills, she can pull it off.

jobeterob
01-19-2011, 02:56 AM
Well, early on Aretha could be played by Halle Berry; the Aretha that is in the popular video of I Say A Little Prayer. The Aretha of the last 20 years is kind of a leap.

MissLish
01-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Younger? Miss Ross was how old when she played Billie Holliday? Some of y'all get too hung up on the superficial. There are countless of great performances where the actor looks nothing like the character they are portraying. It's about bring Aretha's spirit to life peeps. Come on now.

smark21
01-19-2011, 08:41 AM
A Couple of years ago a movie about Bob Dylan came out in which several different actors played Dylan at various stages of his life including Heath Ledger and Cate Blanchett, neither of whom look like Dylan. Maybe the same tactic could be used here? If Justin Bieber has acting chops he could play Aretha during the Columbia years?