PDA

View Full Version : Marvin and Tammi on the TODAY Show

test

woodward
04-18-2017, 04:04 PM
I recently added to my collection the oversize booklet that was produced for the Marvin Gaye Collection of 1990. I saw a picture inside that I had never seen before of Marvin and Tammi with the caption that they appeared on the TODAY - but the date was not indicated.

Does anyone know what date they appeared and does anyone know of other Motown superstars who have made appearances on the TODAY Show. I am not a huge follower of the TODAY Show because of Matt Lauer's rotten personality in view of the Ann Curry fiasco. She was far more down to earth and enjoyable than he is.

Thanks for any help with this inquiry.

RanRan79
04-18-2017, 04:19 PM
According to IMDB, he appeared on the show on Sept 17 and 18th of 1967. It has him listed twice but I'm not sure why he would be on back to back days on the show.

marybrewster
04-18-2017, 04:57 PM
According to IMDB, he appeared on the show on Sept 17 and 18th of 1967. It has him listed twice but I'm not sure why he would be on back to back days on the show.

They may have been on the show to promote "United" which was released August 29th, 1967.

reese
04-18-2017, 06:49 PM
I have seen a few photos of Marvin and Tammi's appearance, including one where they are laughing with the host, Hugh Downs. The photos seem to suggest they are doing something uptempo so they might very well have been doing AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH again.

I'm sure many Motown artists appeared on the show in the 60s ad 70s. But appearances I have actually seen in more recent times have included Diana Ross, the Supremes, Mary Wilson, Gladys Knight, Ashford and Simpson, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Smokey Robinson, and the Temptations.

marv2
04-18-2017, 08:38 PM
I recently added to my collection the oversize booklet that was produced for the Marvin Gaye Collection of 1990. I saw a picture inside that I had never seen before of Marvin and Tammi with the caption that they appeared on the TODAY - but the date was not indicated.

Does anyone know what date they appeared and does anyone know of other Motown superstars who have made appearances on the TODAY Show. I am not a huge follower of the TODAY Show because of Matt Lauer's rotten personality in view of the Ann Curry fiasco. She was far more down to earth and enjoyable than he is.

Thanks for any help with this inquiry.

Mary Wilson was interviewed on the Today Show in October 1986 by Jane Pauley. She's appeared more recently on the show with Kathy Lee Gifford.