PDA

View Full Version : The vinyl re-up!

test

Pages : [1] 2

timmyfunk
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Yo! That vinyl re-up gets stronger as it goes on-er! Brainstorm-Stormin', Miles Davis-We Want Miles and Miles In The Sky, Jimi Hendrix-Axis Bold As Love, The Dramatics-What You See Is What You Get, and The Temptations-Live In London. The Revolution will be @ 33 and 1/3. Ya Feel me?

Average price-2.00-4.00

stephanie
01-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Brainstorm wouldnt even sound right on CD so this is great.

timmyfunk
01-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Damn Stephanie! That is totally true. I never even thought about it like that.

stephanie
01-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Timmy that long version of Lovin is Really My Game is probably if not the best [[opinions differ) one of the best long versions of any dance song I have ever heard. Donna Summer, and other disco people translate well to CD but there is something about Brainstorm that wouldnt its hard to explain but I think you know what I mean you have to feel it which you do or you wouldnt even have understood what I said. Im glad we think alike.

timmyfunk
01-18-2011, 07:12 PM
On this point, most definitely. I'm going to have Belita Woods autograph my copy the next time I see her.

timmyfunk
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Vinyl re-up part three: Throwin' Down-Rick James, Gold Soul-Various Stax recording artists, Insides Out-Bohannon, and Bread Alone-Junie. Total price: 8 dollars.

marv2
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Timmy, help me out. Are you saying that those albums will be released on Vinyl? Where can we buy them?

Marv

splanky
02-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Tim is lucky enough to be presently living where there is an active vinyl outlet, Papa Jazz, in Columbia, SC, my former
stomping grounds. There are others, like Jai, aka arr & bee who live where vinyl is bein sold on the regular. Here in NYC
which USED to be the vinyl capital I guess folks could make the trip to JNR which started re-selling vinyl a couple of years
ago or poke around the village and see who's still in business. I haven't had the time in the last few years but this thread
reminds me it make be worth the effort. Dang, I remember when I was a youngin all I had to do what put on my shoes, go
downstairs and cross the dang street for anything I'd heard on the radio I wanted....

splanky
02-03-2011, 06:41 AM
BTW, Tim, how is Belita doing these days?...

luke
02-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Vinyl sales have been steadily increasing.

timmyfunk
02-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Timmy, help me out. Are you saying that those albums will be released on Vinyl? Where can we buy them?

Marv

No. These are albums that I copped recently in a bid to replenish the vinyl that I had to sell to keep money in my pocket when I first moved to SC.

timmyfunk
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Tim is lucky enough to be presently living where there is an active vinyl outlet, Papa Jazz, in Columbia, SC, my former
stomping grounds. There are others, like Jai, aka arr & bee who live where vinyl is bein sold on the regular. Here in NYC
which USED to be the vinyl capital I guess folks could make the trip to JNR which started re-selling vinyl a couple of years
ago or poke around the village and see who's still in business. I haven't had the time in the last few years but this thread
reminds me it make be worth the effort. Dang, I remember when I was a youngin all I had to do what put on my shoes, go
downstairs and cross the dang street for anything I'd heard on the radio I wanted....

Acutally, I'm back in NJ, Splank. I went to a record store in Red Bank that didn't really deal with prime original vinyl until now. They've been surprising me of late. Really nice looking vinyl at really cheap prices.

timmyfunk
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Vinyl sales have been steadily increasing.

Do these kids really know the importance of vinyl, or are they getting caught up in some sort of phase? Wait and see I guess.

arrr&bee
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM
do these kids really know the importance of vinyl, or are they getting caught up in some sort of phase? Wait and see i guess.very good question timmy,i wrote a short time ago that i've noticed some of the youngins digging our great music but vinyl is a different thing unless they have relatives who have told them about vinyl then i think they won't dig it anywhere near as much as we do and it would be just another passing thing to them.

timmyfunk
02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
very good question timmy,i wrote a short time ago that i've noticed some of the youngins digging our great music but vinyl is a different thing unless they have relatives who have told them about vinyl then i think they won't dig it anywhere near as much as we do and it would be just another passing thing to them.

They have way more alternatives than we had. When we were buying vinyl, the only other alternatives were 8-tracks and cassettes. Reel to reels weren't available. These kids have far more alternatives than we had.

daddyacey
02-05-2011, 04:00 AM
Timmy , I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about new reissues or are you finding primo original pressings???

timmyfunk
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Timmy , I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about new reiIntssues or are you finding primo original pressings???

In terms of what i'm finding, all original pressings.

arrr&bee
02-06-2011, 01:54 PM
they have way more alternatives than we had. When we were buying vinyl, the only other alternatives were 8-tracks and cassettes. Reel to reels weren't available. These kids have far more alternatives than we had.yeah...but we had far more fun!!

timmyfunk
02-07-2011, 12:55 AM
yeah...but we had far more fun!!

No doubt. No contest.

timmyfunk
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Update on the vinyl re-up saga: Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, Earth Wind and Fire 1st album [[original pressing, Gerry Rafferty-City to City, The Crusaders-Street Life, and George Benson-Give Me The Night. Average price: $1.99. Sonic ecstacsy for the price of a bus ride.

timmyfunk
03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
BTW, Tim, how is Belita doing these days?...

She was a little under the weather when I saw them at the Keswick Theatre a couple of weeks ago. Kendra Foster had to do her songs. I was able to get her to autograph both Brainstorm albums. She really got a kick out of seeing those albums, as did Steve Boyd when he signed two of my Five Special albums.

timmyfunk
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Vinyl re-up still in full effect:

Bohannon-Cut Loose [[as you can see, I've been on a Bohannon kick lately)

Cameo-Cameosis

Blackwell-Boogie Down

A Taste Of Honey-self titled debut LP

Kleeer-I Love To Dance

Cissy Houston-Think It Over [[12" single)

Mandrill-self titled LP

Chic-Risque

Bobby Womack-Greatest Hits

Chaka Khan-What'cha Gonna Do For Me

Funkadelic-Standing On The Verge of Getting It On [[at 8 dollars for a VG+ copy, I just couldn't let it stay in that store)

The mission ain't over. It ain't never over.

GeeTee(HPK)
03-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Just remember, 19 days before the big annual event,for the vinyl lovers out there ! :)

http://www.recordstoreday.com

daddyacey
03-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Vinyl re-up still in full effect:

Funkadelic-Standing On The Verge of Getting It On [[at 8 dollars for a VG+ copy, I just couldn't let it stay in that store)

The mission ain't over. It ain't never over.

If it's Westbound #1001 ,then it's a first pressing. There's also 20th Century/Westbound W-208 ,the pressing after 20th Century aquired distribution of Westbound ,in the same year of 74. The W-208 that I have has "Promotional Copy" printed on the label above the record number. Not that one is any better than the other ,it's just an observation that I had and I just thought it was interesting.
74 was the year 20th Century Records started to make some noise in the R&B market, with the success of Barry White ,the R&B division expanded and they aquired the distribution rights for Westbound. Westbound at the time had The Ohio Players and Funkadelic , two bands that were gaining popularity as the cutting edge in the evolving Funk genre ,one Jazz based [[O.P.) ,and one Rock based [[Funkadelic). Both groups had developed a following ,that Westbound needed the advantages of 20th C.'s distribution ,to meet demand. It seemed like a deal for both companies ,but the major labels were also scoping out the R&B market and scooped up The O.P. [[to MERCURY) and Funkadelic [[to WARNER). Interesting when you look back at past events surrounding the time periods of , and the vinyl recordings that we enjoy collecting. That's also a part of the thrill of collecting and listening to music. Admit it :D ,or "If you don't know now you know" ,[[Biggie).

"The mission ain't over. It ain't never over."
Sho you right , or as my motto is ,"It's the thrill of the hunt!":D

My most recent adventure got me 12" by The Jacksons ,"Body" remix ,and Smoke City ,"Dreams" , both with Inst "B" sides ,for $3 each and ZULEMA"S second RCA album for $8.

timmyfunk
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
If it's Westbound #1001 ,then it's a first pressing. There's also 20th Century/Westbound W-208 ,the pressing after 20th Century aquired distribution of Westbound ,in the same year of 74. The W-208 that I have has "Promotional Copy" printed on the label above the record number. Not that one is any better than the other ,it's just an observation that I had and I just thought it was interesting.
74 was the year 20th Century Records started to make some noise in the R&B market, with the success of Barry White ,the R&B division expanded and they aquired the distribution rights for Westbound. Westbound at the time had The Ohio Players and Funkadelic , two bands that were gaining popularity as the cutting edge in the evolving Funk genre ,one Jazz based [[O.P.) ,and one Rock based [[Funkadelic). Both groups had developed a following ,that Westbound needed the advantages of 20th C.'s distribution ,to meet demand. It seemed like a deal for both companies ,but the major labels were also scoping out the R&B market and scooped up The O.P. [[to MERCURY) and Funkadelic [[to WARNER). Interesting when you look back at past events surrounding the time periods of , and the vinyl recordings that we enjoy collecting. That's also a part of the thrill of collecting and listening to music. Admit it :D ,or "If you don't know now you know" ,[[Biggie).

"The mission ain't over. It ain't never over."
Sho you right , or as my motto is ,"It's the thrill of the hunt!":D

My most recent adventure got me 12" by The Jacksons ,"Body" remix ,and Smoke City ,"Dreams" , both with Inst "B" sides ,for $3 each and ZULEMA"S second RCA album for $8.

Now you know me better than that, DA. Straight up orignal Westbound copy. Aside from a reissue vinyl of Cosmic Slop, I don't have any P-Funk reissues in my collection.

timmyfunk
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Almost forgot: Gino Soccio-Dancer and Kiddo's 1st.

timmyfunk
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Vinyl re-up on the pop/rock tip: Led Zeppelin-In Through The Out Door and Eide Brickell and the New Bohemians debut album from 1988. The re-up knows no boundaries.

GeeTee(HPK)
04-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I picked up a rare album by a Chicago group from the eighties called Amusement Park. [[their self-titled first album for a nice price) :)

http://youtu.be/-TkGpCqsnIU

http://youtu.be/5ZATbO3SRVY

Next Saturday is Record Store Day ! [[I can only imagine what trouble I will get myself into) lol ! :p

timmyfunk
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Vinyl re-update: John Coltrane-Live at the Village Vanguard [[original Impulse pressing) $5.00; Chanson-self titled LP $1.99.

Between local record stores and eBay, life is a little more enjoyable.

timmyfunk
04-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Vinyl re-update on Record Store Day: Earth, Wind and Fire-Spirit, Eddie Kendricks-At His Best, Soul To Soul-Original Movie Soundtrack, Blondie-Parallel Lines, Prince-HouseQuake [[12"), Vanity 6, Tony, Toni, Tone'-Feels Good [[12"). Milk crates are back in full effect.

timmyfunk
05-14-2011, 03:45 PM
The vinyl re-up just took a strange and unexpected turn. Went to Funk & Standard [[yes, that the name of the store) and picked up the first two Brothers Johnson albums [[original mint copies) and asked them to put Imagination-Just An Illusion and Spandau Ballet's "True" album on hold. They threw airthang together and told me to pay when I can. Then went to Jack Music in Red Bank and copped Santana's Greatest Hits, Bobby Womack's "Safety Zone", and Stevie Nicks' "Bella Donna". They threw in "London Town" by Wings for free. Still wrapping my head around this. Long live vinyl!!!!! Vinyl rules!!!!!!

stephanie
05-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Whose decision or idea was it to bring vinyl back anyway?

timmyfunk
05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Whose decision or idea was it to bring vinyl back anyway?

I'm not really sure, but it definitely works for me.

timmyfunk
05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Almost forgot: Yes-Fragile. So clean it sparkles. $1.99.

daddyacey
05-19-2011, 01:27 AM
"Yes-Fragile. So clean it sparkles. $1.99."
timmyfunk , You went there?? Thats a bad ass recording. As Martin would say , we are
here >----< [[eye to eye) on that.

A lot of the on-line outlets have been having sales lately , like "Earthwave.com" and "Music Obsession.com

I have been collecting some 12" mixes and LP's I have been looking at but waiting for the price to drop. On -line prices can be high on some items , and you have to know what you're looking for. This is what I found this week ,@ 50% off and free shipping. I been waiting on some of these prices to drop on some items and was surprised to find some other items I didn't know existed. I'm as happy as "skeet skeet" :d:d with this order ,cause I love extendeds from TABU , Jam & Lewis and S.O.S. , accapellas and Instr versions in general of any good tracks by any artist.

Entouch-Ii Hype Edit Of Lp Vers.3:33/radio Vers. 5:38/club Dub 2:48/ 12" [[Ref: 114253) 8.40 USD
12" vinyl, ENTOUCH: II Hype edit of lp vers.3:33/radio vers. 5:38/club dub 2:48/instrum. 6:15/lp vers. 6:15, Vintertainment 5381/white label promo/cust.sticker/'89... . - LIKE NEW condition
--------------------------------------------
Sos Band-Diamonds In The Raw LP [[Ref: 189816) 10.50 USD
Tabu lp vinyl, SOS BAND: Diamonds In the Raw, Tabu 44147/'89 M-/VG++... I'm Still Missing Your Love/Goldmine/Do You Love Me?/Men Don't Cry/One Lover/Secret Wish/Hold Out/Get Out of My Life/Crossfire [[Parts I and II).
Sos Band-The Finest [[extended/instrum./acappella) 12" [[Ref: 195923) 10.50 USD
Tabu U.S. 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: The Finest [[extended/instrum./acappella), Tabu 4Z9 05364/ps/'86 M-/VG++... . - M-/VG++ condition
Sos Band- I'm Still Missing Your Love 12" Mix 5:18/single Mix 4: 12" [[Ref: 9501) 3.15 USD
Tabu 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: Im Still Missing Your Love 12" mix 5:18/single mix 4:30/dub vers. 6:05/tv tracks 5:22/single mix with no breaks 4:09, Tabu 4Z9 68863/'89... .
Sos Band-No Lies Special Vers. 6:02/12Ó Dub 5:06 12" [[Ref: 9503) 5.25 USD
Tabu U.S. 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: No Lies special vers. 6:02/12Ó dub 5:06, Tabu 4Z9 06030/'86... . - LIKE NEW condition
Labelle,patti-Somebody Loves You Baby - U.s. Promo Issue - Lp Vers./single 12" [[Ref: 85429) 5.25 USD
MCA U.S. 12" vinyl, LABELLE, PATTI: Somebody Loves You Baby - U.S. promo issue - lp vers./single edit/instrum./suite, MCA 2074/white label promo/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
Mills,stephanie-Never Do You Wrong Remix Radio 4:10/remix Dub 6:42/house Clu 12" [[Ref: 107755) 5.25 USD
12" vinyl, MILLS, STEPHANIE: Never Do You Wrong remix radio 4:10/remix dub 6:42/house club 6:30/dark stupid dub 5:35/club mix #2 5:54/drumapella 5:39/house instrum. 5:05, MCA 2528/white label promo/'93... .
Jackson,walter-Tell Me Where It Hurts LP [[Ref: 409530) 10.50 USD
Columbia US lp vinyl, JACKSON, WALTER: Tell Me Where It Hurts, Columbia 37132/'81 M-/VG+... Tell Me Where It Hurts/When I See You/Never Sing the Song/At Last/Living Without You/Come to Me/What If I Walked Out on You/If It's Magic. - M-/VG+ condition
Debarge,el-El Debarge LP [[Ref: 234264) 8.40 USD
Gordy US lp vinyl, DEBARGE, EL: El DeBarge, Gordy 6181/lyric innersl./white label promo/saw mark/'86... Who's Johnny/Secrets Of the Night/I Wanna Hear It From My Heart/Someone/When Love Has Gone Away/Private Line/Love Always/Lost Without Her Love/Thrill Of the Chase/Don't Say Its Over. - LIKE NEW condition
Benet,eric & Terry Dexter-Spend My Life With You Buttered Soul Remix 4:36/buttered Sou 12" [[Ref: 275052) 8.40 USD
12" vinyl, BENET, ERIC & TERRY DEXTER: Spend My Life With You buttered soul remix 4:36/buttered soul a capella 4:22, WB 9943/dj/cust.sticker/'99... .
Debarge,el-Gemeni LP [[Ref: 177951) 12.60 USD
Motown lp vinyl, DEBARGE, EL: Gemeni, Motown 6264/with JEFF LORBER, PAUL JACKSON JR, more/dj stamp/'89 M-/VG++ [[record/cover)... Real Love/Cross My Heart/Somebody Loves You/Broken Dreams/Turn the Page/After You/Love Life/Broken Dreams [[Think About It)/Make You Mine. - M-/VG++ condition
Mills,stephanie-All Day All Night Radio Edit 3:59/soulpower Radio Mix 3:48/s 12" [[Ref: 104514) 5.25 USD
12" vinyl, MILLS, STEPHANIE: All Day All Night radio edit 3:59/soulpower radio mix 3:48/stephanie n tha house mix 4:14/alternative mix 8:32/black ac mix 4:10/soulpower mix 5:13/12" mix 5:38/crazy dane mix 5:11, MCA 2486/white label promo/'92... .
Floetry-Getting Late Radio Edit 4:04/lp Vers. 6:50/instrum. 4:50/aca 12" [[Ref: 346319) 5.25 USD
Dreamworks US 12" vinyl, FLOETRY: Getting Late radio edit 4:04/lp vers. 6:50/instrum. 4:50/acapella 4:45, Dreamworks 14169/white label promo/cust.sticker/'03... . - M-/M- condition
Jackson,walter-I Want To Come Back As A Song LP [[Ref: 86213) 12.60 USD
ChiSound U.S. lp vinyl, JACKSON, WALTER: I Want to Come Back As a Song, ChiSound LA733/Õ77 M-/VG++ [[record/cover)... Baby I Love Your Way/Everything Must Change/Gotta Find Me An Angel/If You Walked Away/I Want to Come Back As a Song/Stay A While With Me/ItÕs All Over/Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word/What Would You Do/IÕve Never Been to Me. - M-/VG++ condition

Discount : -55.65 USD [[50%)
SubTotal : 55.65 USD
Shipping : 0.00 USD
ORDER TOTAL: 55.65 USD

Waiting on The Mail Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timmyfunk
05-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Ain't life grand? Ain't vinyl grand!?

GeeTee(HPK)
05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Even though I had no intentions on buying any vinyl today, I happened to be near one of my favorite record shops and said "what the heck !" [[why did I say that ?) lol :p

Here's what I end up purchasing :

Main Ingredient - Afrodisiac
Eddie Harris - Plug Me In

[[and a few 45s)
Eddie Kendricks - Son of Sagittarius
Joe Hinton - Funny
James Brown - Let A Man Come In And Do the Popcorn
I Thank You Baby - June Conquest & Donnie Hathaway
Freddie Hughes - OO Wee Baby I Love You

all for under a dub. [[that's $20.00) :cool: :p

daddyacey
05-22-2011, 12:12 AM
"[[why did I say that ?) lol :p"
All together now sing.................."If there's a cure for this , I don't want it , don't want it , If there's a remedy,
I'll run from it , run from it , ..................vinyl hangover , I don't wanna get over!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

paladin
05-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Great thread......

Been playing vinyl for the past three hours, feeling great. My play list would probably blow up the forum, but I played :

Gene Chandler,Walter Jackson, Rimshots, Miracles, Dramatics, Slave, War, Rick James, Mandrill, Prince, Keith Barrow, Xavier,
George Duke, Grover Washington, Shelia E, Time, Marvin, Dells, Nina, Harold Melvin, Ojays, Lost Generation, Manhattans, Central Line, One Way.

Its been a beautiful day.......

timmyfunk
05-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Lately, I've been rocking the hell out of All Night Thing by the Invisible Man's Band. I really had to re-evaluate that turn of the decade 12" singles.

marv2
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Timmy that long version of Lovin is Really My Game is probably if not the best [[opinions differ) one of the best long versions of any dance song I have ever heard. Donna Summer, and other disco people translate well to CD but there is something about Brainstorm that wouldnt its hard to explain but I think you know what I mean you have to feel it which you do or you wouldnt even have understood what I said. Im glad we think alike.

Stephanie, it [["Lovin Is Really My Game") was one of the best when it came out in my opinion! I have it, as well as most of my music on vinyl! CD's never caught on with me the same way.

marv2
05-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Lately, I've been rocking the hell out of All Night Thing by the Invisible Man's Band. I really had to re-evaluate that turn of the decade 12" singles.

Timmy, it is so interesting you mention that song and the turn of the decade. I always thought of it and the Whispers, "The Beat Goes On" whenever I remember that time. The Invisible Man's Band were on it!!!!

paladin
05-25-2011, 12:16 AM

Not only have I played this frequently but I also played 2nd Resurrection tonight as well.........

Marv And the beat goes on was clever but IMB was funky as hell......I simply love that record.........

You look so fine yeah
I want yo number in my book
Gonna take you home with me
And get it on, all night long.......

marv2
05-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Not only have I played this frequently but I also played 2nd Resurrection tonight as well.........

Marv And the beat goes on was clever but IMB was funky as hell......I simply love that record.........

You look so fine yeah

Paladin, you talking to the choir! I bought that 12" around late November/ early Dec. 1979. I put it on the old stereo back then and wore it out! I use to have the acapella part down! I played it daily back then man. When we talk about truly great and innovative music you have to talk about them......off shoot of the Five Stairsteps or not, they were funky!

Marv

daddyacey
05-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Marv went to that conversation that Timmyfunk and Stephanie had about that vinyl of Brainstorms , in another thread a while back. The album version of LIRMG is great in regards to sonics and playback , but the 12' version ,slaps the shii out of you.The thing that I love about this track is the strings. Symphonic Funk is all I can call it. From the jump ,the real strings and horns slap you in the face and then proceed to wrap themselves around you [[in 5.1 even in vinyl) ,or up in your face in stereo. The first album of this group has never been released on CD ,for what ever reason ,but if and when it is ,whom ever masters it better have his game on. It's excellent for that time periods pressing and mastering/recording ,[[still analog). This album falls into the same catagory as some other iconic albums such as ,South Shore Commission , Second Resurrection , Executive Suite ,etc. They are important projects that were part of the expansion period of R+B/SOUL music, but never released or remastered for CD relase. The fact that they only exist in original vinyl form makes them more valuable. I have 2 copies of B.S. first LP. One to play and one to play on special groove nights:D. My 2nd Resurrection ,is only played on special
times:D .
But what I didn't know that there was a 12' of ANT. I only have the LP. DAYUM paladin!!!!

timmyfunk
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Timmy, it is so interesting you mention that song and the turn of the decade. I always thought of it and the Whispers, "The Beat Goes On" whenever I remember that time. The Invisible Man's Band were on it!!!!

That has to be one of the most joyous 12" singles ever released. Give me a minute and I'll think of some others from around that time.

timmyfunk
05-25-2011, 05:57 PM

You look so fine yeah

If you want to get on the Whispers tip, "Let's Go All The Way" is my personal favorite. An absolute masterpiece.

timmyfunk
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Marv went to that conversation that Timmyfunk and Stephanie had about that vinyl of Brainstorms , in another thread a while back. The album version of LIRMG is great in regards to sonics and playback , but the 12' version ,slaps the shii out of you.The thing that I love about this track is the strings. Symphonic Funk is all I can call it. From the jump ,the real strings and horns slap you in the face and then proceed to wrap themselves around you [[in 5.1 even in vinyl) ,or up in your face in stereo. The first album of this group has never been released on CD ,for what ever reason ,but if and when it is ,whom ever masters it better have his game on. It's excellent for that time periods pressing and mastering/recording ,[[still analog). This album falls into the same catagory as some other iconic albums such as ,South Shore Commission , Second Resurrection , Executive Suite ,etc. They are important projects that were part of the expansion period of R+B/SOUL music, but never released or remastered for CD relase. The fact that they only exist in original vinyl form makes them more valuable. I have 2 copies of B.S. first LP. One to play and one to play on special groove nights:D. My 2nd Resurrection ,is only played on special
But what I didn't know that there was a 12' of ANT. I only have the LP. DAYUM paladin!!!!

Personally, "Hot For You" inches out LIRMG by about a hair. But I still dig it heavily.

marv2
05-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Daddy, you ain't said a thang! Brainstorms' " Lovin Is Really My Game" was almost daily required listening at my house back in 1977. If we weren't playing it, WJLB and WGPR Detroit were ! It was just testament that long after Motown had left town, Detroit still had "it" musically speaking. Michael Henderson, the Dramatics and all of them were at the heights of their popularity, their powers!

marv2
05-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Ok quick, who made this song "Give It Up, [[You Can Dance Forever If you Want to)"? I want to say it was by Mtume, but I can't be sure. I have 12" packed away and can't get at it. It was popular in late 1980.

marv2
05-25-2011, 09:06 PM
It was Mtume and it was a JAM! Hurry up and bring back vinyl!!!!

timmyfunk
05-26-2011, 01:42 PM
It is indeed Mtume.

timmyfunk
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
One more delicious piece of vinyl: Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

marv2
05-26-2011, 08:04 PM
One more delicious piece of vinyl: Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

I know that's right. Good one Timmy!

paladin
05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
My brother who plays in a band gave me about 100 albums that he had in his garage for over a year, the records were all mint and with few exceptions original pressings. Miles, Nancy Wilson, War, G. Benson, Aretha [[gospel album with Amazing grace & Mary Don't You Weep) Cherelle, Ramsey, Herbie, AWB, Songs Key of Life, Joe Sample, Crusaders, Jeff Lorber, Levert, Teena Marie, Smokey, Roberta & Donny, Luther, Sly,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the list goes on.....man I felt like my good friend and fellow leprechaun GT, magically delicious!!! I have been playing vinyl non stop for three days.......even though I had some of these albums, these were in such great shape that I couldn't believe it. Guess it helps to teach a little brother how to wax and detail his car.......of course his story was ....." Man I've been trying to give you these records for six months, because you're one of the few people I know who not only plays vinyl but loves it....." fellas the only thing I can say is that "somebody up there likes me"....lol.....

daddyacey
05-28-2011, 02:50 AM
I got my order in on Weds ,but didn't open it until Friday.
There is a version of "AT LAST" , that Walter Jackson dd in 1981 ,on Columbia ,produced by Carl Davis.
It's the first totally restatement of the song in arrangement and vocal delivery that I have ever heard.

timmyfunk
05-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Birthday vinyl re-up now in effect: Miles Davis-Live at Carnegie Hall. Original copy.

daddyacey
05-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Happy Birthday timmyfunk!!!

timmyfunk
05-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you much DA!

marv2
05-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Happy Birthday Timmy!

Marv

daddyacey
06-03-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm on a internet roll........ just ordered the DEBARGEs first LP for $6 from...........VinylVestige.Com

paladin
06-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Uh DA, you mean these guys .........http://www.lastvestige.com/vinyl/soul.htm ??? LOL........

daddyacey
06-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Yep!!! That's them. I made my order at 2:00 in the am by e-mail and got a confirmation at 11:00. Called them with my payment info and my goodies are on the way. I'm checking out Earthwave Records now. They are a little higher priced but they are having a 40% off sale until the end of the week. :D

timmyfunk
06-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Vinyl re-up at the start of Black Music Month: AWB debut album, Sade-Promise, Elton John-Rock Of The Westies, Ralph McDonald-Sound Of A Drum, Weather Report-8:30 [[Brazilian pressing), Godmoma-Taste Of Magic [[12"), Louis Jordan-Somebody Up There Digs Me, and of course, Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

Side note: after the vinyl front, I attended the annual celebration in Red Bank, NJ known as Riverfest. Got a taste of the band Motor City Revue. Absolutely excellent. And there not even from Detroit. They're from NJ. A perfect ending to a pretty decent work week.

daddyacey
06-07-2011, 02:36 AM
DeBARGES, THE/ Same/ Gordy '81/ lt jktwear, VG++/VG++ $6.00
GAYE, MARVIN/ My Last Chance-3 Versions/ Motown '90/ 12" Single, No Cover Art, Vinyl is VG+ $2.00
HAYES, ISAAC & MILLIE JACKSON/ Royal Rappin'/ Polydor-Spring '79/ NM/VG+ $7.00
ZULEMA/ Suddenly There Was You/ RCA '76/ NM/VG++ $7.00

$22.00 + Shipping [[Please Choose One):
Add $7.65 for Priority With Delivery Confirmation[[takes 2-3 days via air) + $2.37 NYS
Tax = $32.02

This came today but I was at work. Off to the P.O. before work!!!!!

timmyfunk
06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't think I've ever loved vinyl more than I do right now.

daddyacey
06-10-2011, 01:43 AM
I feel you timmyfunk on that point. I just got back some 12's I had of D Train that I lent to a friend of mine ,almost a year and a half ago that I forgot I had. He finally had the time to do needle drops on them. They were important to me because I collect remixes and also my uncle did arrangements on the original tracks ,which I was in the studio when they were recorded. I have now adopted the rule and standard ,[[since I can now do needle drops myself) ,that I don't lend nothin to NOBODY, nothin personal :D , but I realize how much money I have invested in my vinyl over the last 50 years and at this point you would have to pry any of it from my cold dead hands. If you did get it ,I would still haunt whomever for the rest of thier natural life and then I'd be waiting to give a good ass whoopin!!!! :D
I also have some CD's that I feel the same way about ,but I do feel that CDs have thier place in the scope of things. For example,

http://site.soulmusic.com/images/PRESIDENTS.jpgTHE PRESIDENTS: 5-10-15-20-25-30 YEARS OF LOVE: THE GREATEST HITS

2011 collection from the Soul outfit. Van McCoy had a thing about nurturing young Soul groups named after U.S. branches of government and its high-level departments. Even his production company was named White House Productions.

The veteran R&B songwriter/arranger/producer helmed singles by the 95th Congress and the State Dept., but McCoy's most successful group in that politically monikered posse was The Presidents. Consisting of Archie Powell, Tony Boyd, and Billy Shorter, the polished vocal trio was a great deal more than another artistic outlet for the prolific McCoy. Powell and Boyd wrote a good portion of the material the Presidents did for Sussex, and their agile vocal interplay set them apart as well.

This is the first time this Northern Soul classics has ever been released on CD including previously unavailable bonus tracks.

An lp I aquired some 4 years ago for $15 BUT WORTH IT ,and this CD release is an welcome compliment to that rare classic album. Its CD release just makes the original LP more valuable IMO.

I'll never forget the day my daughter ,born in 87 , one day at the age of about 10 ,a child of the digital age in 97 surrounded by not only CD's , but vinyl also ,asked me ,"Daddy ,what's with all of these records you have? They are out of style. Then I pulled out the vintage Jackson 5 albums with Michael and his brothers and explained what the deal was. Showed her what sampling was all about . She's 23 now and knows a lot about what she and her generation are into and where it came from. Thats a touching thing for me ,to pass that down to her along with her love of music ,and that she truly knows why ,you DO NOT FUXK WITH DADDYS RECORDS!!! :D :D

paladin
06-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Great post DA....I agree.

timmyfunk
06-10-2011, 08:11 AM
I guess it can go both ways. Some CD reissues take the luster of original pressing, while some are not affected. Even when the CD features extra tracks. Gil Scott-Heron's Free Will album still commands heavy prices, even though the Japanese CD has like 7 alternate takes as a bonus.

Maybe my current success has something to do with location. Red Bank, New Jersey ain't exactly known for being a hot spot for collecting vinyl like say, Greenwich Village. But some of the stuff I've found and the prices I've paid have been real surprising.

Here's the latest score:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250828925602&si=RKyyI9v8UAe4M8ZgehBoVgemBrQ%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

timmyfunk
06-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Vinyl re-update: Teena Marie-Irons In The Fire
Original Japanese pressing.

timmyfunk
06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Today's picks: Black Moses-Issac Hayes and Funk Beyond the Call of Duty-Johnny Guitar Watson

daddyacey
06-23-2011, 02:34 AM
"Teena Marie-Irons In The Fire
Original Japanese pressing."
You won't find sh-- like that here in the city ,[[Greenwich Village and...Brooklyn have the most vinyl shops of merit) ,and IF you did find it there it would be an arm and a leg. Where you are a find like that would not be as high in price as here.

Fathers Day I picked up............
Ray,Goodman & Brown--All About Love--1984--Panoramic
Starpoint--All Night Long--1982-- Chocolate City
Slave--Make Believe--1987-- Ichiban-- [[Mark Adams,Keith Nash[[drums,keys,vocals),Daniel Webster[[guitars,b vocals),Floyd Miller[[trombone)
I never knew of this album so it was quite a surprise. The shop had t/t to preview and that plus the $5.00 price sold me on it. When I really get to listen to it I'll give a review.

Marc Sadane--OneWay Love Affair--1981--Warner Bros --[[Mtume/Lucas production, a sleeper and one of the better and last 80's era pre-midi recordings that used REAL horns ,strings,drums etc....

Curtis Hairston--Curtis Hairston--1986--Atlantic-- [[Another sleeper ,I bent over for this LP @ $20 mint ,after previewing it in store. Well worth the money. C.H. had an amazing voice and talent ,on the same order as this next artist........................

Ronnie Dyson--The More You Do It--1976--Columbia-- [[A Jackson/Yancey production with nice versions of ,A Song For You and Love Won't Let Me Wait). I also saw a Dyson LP with some Bobby Eli penned tracks on it ,which I stupidly did not pick up but plan to go back for.
Hairston ,Sadane and Dyson have excellent material and are excellent vocalists that are sadly underrated. These were some bad MF's ,and you can't find this stuff anywhere but on vinyl!!!!

Last but not least , Rotary Connection--Peace--1976??--Cadet Concept ,$3.00 , a Charles Stepney production, sort of a Christmas type album in "good cond" ,a little dirty, no inner sleeve. A little Dawn dish liquid and distilled water turned it into "pretty good" condition ,but to hear MINNIE sing "Silent Night" ,is priceless.

timmyfunk
06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Keep spreading the word: vinyl is where it's at.

GeeTee(HPK)
06-23-2011, 06:09 PM
That's part of the reason why I doing a show tonight, dedicated to 45 RPM. I happened to pick up a few more 45s a few days ago, and I will play them tonight.

9pm-midnight [[cst) http://whpk.org and iTunes.

timmyfunk
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Make no mistake, GeeTee. I'm not sleeping on 45's. Loves me some 45's.

GeeTee(HPK)
06-23-2011, 08:58 PM
and I happened to locate one of my old Funkadelic 45s, that I will play tonight. [[and I might play the B-side too) :)

timmyfunk
06-24-2011, 06:22 PM
And which 45 would that be?

daddyacey
06-25-2011, 01:52 AM
LOL , I knew that was coming:D:D

GeeTee(HPK)
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
The B-side was "Jimmy's Got A little Bit Of [[well, you know the rest of the title of the song) Just listen to the podcast on the 45 thread. :p

timmyfunk
07-02-2011, 08:32 PM
The vinyl re-up was thrown a curve ball today. Picked up Wild and Peaceful-Kool and the Gang, Original Musicquarium-Stevie Wonder, and the America album featuring "A Horse With No Name". Went to Funk & Standard in Red Bank, NJ and the owner gave me a 180G copy of Eddie Hazel's "Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs for free. Wonderful people usually do wonderful thangs.

daddyacey
07-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Timmyfunk-- There is a new record store in Union N.J. ,Big City Records , @ the corner of Springfield Ave & Vauxhall Road off of Route 78. [[908-668-1402) ,open Thurs thru Sat from 12pm to 6pm. I have not been there but they have a store here in the Village. I have bought some nice pieces from there and done some good trading and sales with them. Also check out the Princeton Record Exchange near Princeton College.

This weekend is one of those where the head is right [[working in Social Services can take it's toll ,as you know:D) ,and I'm chilled enough to go through the vinyl I've bought over the last 3 months and seriously review them. I'm also purging some of my doubles etc., cause space is getting tight and I'm doing some cataloging also.

timmyfunk
07-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Timmyfunk-- There is a new record store in Union N.J. ,Big City Records , @ the corner of Springfield Ave & Vauxhall Road off of Route 78. [[908-668-1402) ,open Thurs thru Sat from 12pm to 6pm. I have not been there but they have a store here in the Village. I have bought some nice pieces from there and done some good trading and sales with them. Also check out the Princeton Record Exchange near Princeton College.

This weekend is one of those where the head is right [[working in Social Services can take it's toll ,as you know:D) ,and I'm chilled enough to go through the vinyl I've bought over the last 3 months and seriously review them. I'm also purging some of my doubles etc., cause space is getting tight and I'm doing some cataloging also.

Believe me DA, if I had a car, I'd be trekking down to PRE once a month out of principle. The stores I'm hitting are a 20 minute bus ride away, whereas the stores you speak of are a good journey from my place. If Big City Records is close to a NJ Transit train station, I'll take the plunge.

timmyfunk
07-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Adding two more classics to the mix: Pick Of The Litter by the Spinners and the self titled album by Blue Magic.

timmyfunk
07-16-2011, 06:19 PM
The vinyl re-up overload: Slave-Showtime, Teddy Pendergrass-Life Is A Song Worth Singing, Two Places At The Same Time, Let's Do It Again-Soundtrack, Brass Construction II, Stephanie Mills-Stephanie, The Chambers Brothers-New Generation, Brother, Brother, Brother-The Isley Brothers, Bohannon-Gittin' Off, The Three Degrees-Same, and the Bar-Kays-Flying High On Your Love. Average price:$3 at the NYC Record Convention. Were there any SDF members in the house?

daddyacey
07-18-2011, 01:04 PM
You mean at the Holiday Inn in the 50's. If I had known you would be going there , I would have checked it out.
They usually have it the 3rd Saturday of every month.

timmyfunk
07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
You mean at the Holiday Inn in the 50's. If I had known you would be going there , I would have checked it out.
They usually have it the 3rd Saturday of every month.

That's the one. I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?).

daddyacey
07-20-2011, 02:30 AM
"I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?). "

Yes that's true. I have not been there in a while. They used to be set up in the big ballroom up until 4 years ago. Then they moved to the smaller room. I still get mail from them. I haven't gone in about 2 years. There is another show held only 2 times a year down on Canal Street. I'll dig up that info and ........well I'll get it to you :D.

timmyfunk
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
"I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?). "

Yes that's true. I have not been there in a while. They used to be set up in the big ballroom up until 4 years ago. Then they moved to the smaller room. I still get mail from them. I haven't gone in about 2 years. There is another show held only 2 times a year down on Canal Street. I'll dig up that info and ........well I'll get it to you :D.

I'm waiting for the WFMU record fair, but something tells me it's already come and gone.

daddyacey
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
http://wfmu.org/recfair/rf_livebcasts.html

October !!!!!!!!!

timmyfunk
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
http://wfmu.org/recfair/rf_livebcasts.html

October !!!!!!!!!

I just looked it up after your last post. The problem though, is that it's the same weekend as the Chiller Theatre convention in Parsippany, NJ..

daddyacey
07-23-2011, 03:39 AM
"The needs of the many ,outweight the needs of the one" , in this case :D

paladin
07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok went vinyl shopping today along with my partner in crime GT and this is what I came up with :

Isley Jasper Isley/ Broadway's Closer to Sunset Blvd
Horace Brown/Things We Do For Love
Love is Such a Funny Game/Michael Cooper
The Message is Love/Barry White
Bout Love/Bill Withers
Lou Donaldson/Blue #3
Herbie Hancock/Monster
Herbie Hancock/Willie Bobo Succotash
Burnin Love/Confunkshun
Meeting of Mind/Four Tops
Curtis Mayfield/ Doing it all Night
Bundle of Joy/Freddie Hubbard
Naked to The World/Teena Marie
Miles Davis at Carnegie hall
Intimate Connection/Kleer
Gene Ammons Goodbye/[[his final recording session)

Going back tommorrow.......all mint some sealed........total Price 15.00

GeeTee(HPK)
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
And all for [[get this) $1.00 a piece !!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) "no brag,just facts !" :p

I'll chime in later,and share what I found ...... :)

Vinyl rules ...... :cool:

paladin
07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Ok........

Sonny Stitt/Night Letter
Dexter Gordon/Manhattan Symphony
Bill Withers/Watching You Watching Me
Passion/Norman Connors
Teo Macero/Acoustical Suspension
Bobby Womack/Womagic

mo later........

timmyfunk
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
The summer vinyl re-up continues to simmer: Too Hot To Stop-The Bar-Kays, Natural High-Bloodstone, Mandrill [[self titled), and two P-Funk discs that I just couldn't leave behind-Urban Dancefloor Guerillas and Some Of My Best Jokes Are Friends. Average price: $5.00. And this time the scene of the crime was Asbury Park, New Jersey.

daddyacey
09-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Aww Right now my analog brothers in OLD FASHIONED VINYL Collecting............................The fat ladies mouth is full so she aint about to sing a note anytime soon ,to close this thread out!!! So as we was saying...............

I'm down here in Daytona Beach Fla , on a visit and like any looong player , I gots my haunts in any town I goes into. There's this record shop about two miles east of the Daytona airport ,I hit when ever I'm in town here. I picked up ........................

Shirley Jones --Always In The Mood lp
Norman Harris--The Harris Machine lp
Johnny Bristol--Bristol's Creme lp
Keith Barrow--- Just As I Am lp
Patti Austin-----In My Life lp
Deniece Williams--My Melody [[THOM BELL) lp
5th Dimension----Individually & Collectively lp [[original b&w cover) 1972
Olatunji!!!--Drums Of Passion [[Original 1959 pressing with 3 eye CBS label ,in STEREO)
Maxayn---Mindful---[[Maxayn & Andre Lewis 2nd lp 1973) Original press and cover#@#@#!!!

ALL IN VG++ , for grand total of ---------- $18 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summers over and Fall is here yall. I got my eyes set on Oct 28 , the WFMU Record Fair. I've never been to it ,so I'm saving up my lunch money and [[maybe some beer money)..

paladin
09-11-2011, 10:15 AM
You dirty dog, WFMU ? speak on it .......

splanky
09-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Maxayn's Mindful lp?...Dang, now I'm jealous as a mollyfocker...Check Out Your
Mind is on that wax, ain't it?...

timmyfunk
09-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Maxayn's Mindful lp?...Dang, now I'm jealous as a mollyfocker...Check Out Your
Mind is on that wax, ain't it?...

And if I'm not mistaken, they performed Check Out Your Mind on Soul Train.

Jimi LaLumia
09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
my favorite site for vinyl shopping, old and new, is GEMM

timmyfunk
09-11-2011, 03:53 PM
my favorite site for vinyl shopping, old and new, is GEMM

Gemm.com is an absolute goldmine for finding rare records. Gemm and eBay pretty much rule these days.

daddyacey
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Paladin---
[[You dirty dog, WFMU ? speak on it .......) Arf Arf Woof Woof...= = http://wfmu.org/recfair/rf_livebcasts.html [[http://wfmu.org/recfair/rf_livebcasts.html)

Splanky---
[[Maxayn's Mindful lp?...Dang, now I'm jealous as a mollyfocker...Check Out Your
Mind is on that wax, ain't it?... )

Yes it is , and that's just what I said when I saw it in the bin too , I'll be a Mollyfocker!!! LOL When the guy told me the lp's were $2.00 a piece ,I put on my best game face ,gave him the $18. I walked out of there "like I stole somethin" , jumped in the car and took off!!!!!!!!!! .................He stopped to ring me out to get rid of me cause he was busy selling this other dude a "still sealed" ,Beatles Anthology [[The red one) on vinyl for $45.

timmyfunk
09-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Vinyl re-up kicks off the fall: Public Enemy-Night Of The Living Baseheads [[12" single), Bobby Brown-My Prerogative [[12" single), Go For Your Guns-The Isley Brothers [[promo copy), and George Benson-Weekend In L.A.. Carried from Red Bank, N.J. to Long Branch, N.J. in a Funk & Standard potato sack-like shopping bag. Vinyl jeopardy is a science.

GeeTee(HPK)
09-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I've taken a break from vinyl shopping,for a bit. I probably will get back into the swing of things in a few weeks. :)

daddyacey
09-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Ahhh , GeeTee checking in for roll call!!! [[smile)

timmyfunk--- Picking up 12's?? I didn't think you delt with those. I did stop by that same shop before getting on the plane home and picked up , Heavy D and the Boyz 12 of "Now That We Found Love"
Miles Jaye--Lets Start All Over
Sherrick-- Just Call--M+M Mix Import
Wham--Careless Whisper , with instr version [[that's what sold me on that!!)

This is our thread vinylmaniacs ,lets stay intouch , despite the other B.S. Peace

timmyfunk
09-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Ahhh , GeeTee checking in for roll call!!! [[smile)

timmyfunk--- Picking up 12's?? I didn't think you delt with those. I did stop by that same shop before getting on the plane home and picked up , Heavy D and the Boyz 12 of "Now That We Found Love"
Miles Jaye--Lets Start All Over
Sherrick-- Just Call--M+M Mix Import
Wham--Careless Whisper , with instr version [[that's what sold me on that!!)

This is our thread vinylmaniacs ,lets stay intouch , despite the other B.S. Peace

Hell yeah, I'm on the 12" kick. If you grew up in the 1970's, you had to cop some 12" remixes or extended versions.

arrr&bee
09-21-2011, 02:33 PM
This is one of my favorite stops on the forum,i recently found[eloise hang on in there-william bell]in mint condition for 3 bucks...vinyl forever!!!

timmyfunk
09-21-2011, 03:26 PM
This is one of my favorite stops on the forum,i recently found[eloise hang on in there-william bell]in mint condition for 3 bucks...vinyl forever!!!

I'm very happy that you appreciate this thread.

daddyacey
09-22-2011, 03:24 AM
I picked up Jimmy Smiths ,The Sermon @ Academy on 18th Street for $8.00. That's the lp that has "J.O.S. on it , aka Frankie Crockers other theme song.

On line I found Prince's U.K 12" of Party Man B/W the Long Stroke version of "Feel You up" for $7 USD M-. I been looking for this for a good while ,only the short version was released here and the Long version at min has been going for $20 and up. I said might as well take a chance ,it's $11 with the shipping. This track is baaaddd!!! There's a Larry Graham style bass and some nasty horns in it. I got a confirm E that it shipped , so I give it a week.

Is anyone else planning to go to the WFUV SHOW next month???

phil
09-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Gemm.com is an absolute goldmine for finding rare records. Gemm and eBay pretty much rule these days.

Discogs is a good place, too : http://www.discogs.com/

Recently I found there the great LP from Sandra Wright, "Wounded Woman".

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20081208/330293052101.jpg

timmyfunk
09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Discogs is a good place, too : http://www.discogs.com/

Recently I found there the great LP from Sandra Wright, "Wounded Woman".

http://www.popsike.com/pix/20081208/330293052101.jpg

I may have to register there as well.

phil
09-25-2011, 02:17 PM
You won't regret it Timmy, if you're looking for some rare [[and less rare) records.

6 months ago I found the South African LP from CL Blast "Made In Africa", that I've been tracking down for years !

http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-2258374-1272810537.jpeg

And you can also sell your records/CD's on the site : Soul, funk, jazz, etc..

timmyfunk
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Fall vinyl re-up commences: Miles Davis-You're Under Arrest and The Man With The Horn, Herbie Hancock-Headhunters, and Echoes Of An Era-Various Artists.

daddyacey
09-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Herbie Hancock-Headhunters--
A Super Classic album and group. Chameleon is the crown jewel of this lp ,as awesome today as it was when it first came out in 1973. The funkyest nastyest perfect combination of electric and real analog instruments ,the new sound of Funk and older Modal Jazz elements and the 70's Dance/ Club Music [[pre-Disco) elements, plus the musicians ,all accomplished Jazz genre players, make this L.P. a prime example and aural snapshot of a turning point in what would be the evolution of the later 70's FUNK/R&B/DISCO era of late 74 -79. This is one of Hancock's finest works. His group in 73 is as comparable to Mile's group during the KIND OF BLUE period in terms of talent and creative novelty . It was considered "Electric Jazz" but also was played in Black and Gay dance clubs, and Frankie Crocker played an edited version on his radio show, in the early days of Urban F.M. I was a mobile D.J. at the time [[1973, 19yrs old) and the audience of say a serious dance crowd would dance to the straight track ,dancing apart for the first funky part and changing up for slower jazzy part ,only to go back into the FUNK part again. That was amazing to witness a couple of times. Other crowds would like just the FUNK part sort of looped. But with both ,once that intro ,"bom bom bom bom------bom bom----bom bom bom bom---bom bom--, came on , it was ...Awww--Shiiii---- LOL.................

paladin
09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
WFMU ? All I can say is Bow wow wow wow yippee yo-yippee yay ! Dam..... on another front....I picked up Sadao Watanabe/Orange Express, Lets Put It All Together/Stylistics, Teena Marie's Emerald City, Crusaders vocal album, Bill Summers, London Suite. A rather curious find which I haven't listened to was a Ray Parker lp Sex and The Single Man......really don't remember anything from this LP but it was sealed and cost me a buck.......

daddyacey
10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Spent the day here at the WFMU record fair in N.Y.C. Here's a list of the vendors
and the floor lay-out. This one of those big shows , a "where do I start first?" sized event. I'll list my purchases shortly.

http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/KF/2011/10/26/Dealer_Guide_2011.pdf

paladin
10-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Awww Man........

daddyacey
10-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Thought you would like that. I'm busy with my Mom's birthday and my parents 57th anniversary ,but I promise I will post my booty haul as soon as possible. I only spent less than 70 bucks for one fat bag of records :D.

daddyacey
11-09-2011, 01:50 AM
My record show bag : Willie Hutch--Havin A Party [[MOTOWN) 1977 lp $4
Sly Stone--Aint But The One Way [[WARNER BROS) 1982 lp $3
CHOCOLATE MILK---CHOCOLATE MILK [[RCA) lp [[1976) $5
Philippe Wynne--Starting All Over---[[COTILLION) lp [[1977) $4
The Art Of Noise-- Whos Afraid Of The Art Of Noise--[[ISLAND) lp [[1984) $5
Coffee-- Second Cup--- [[DELITE) lp [[1982) $5
Faith Hope & Charity-- Faith Hope & Charity lp [[20th Century) [[1978) $7 The last lp by this group
The Ebonys--The EBONYS---[[Philly Intl ) lp [[1973) $5 MINT!!!!!!!!!!
Hot Chocolate-- 10 Greatest Hits [[Big Tree) lp [[1977) $5
Krystol---Talk Of The Town---[[EPIC) lp [[1985) $10 Produced by Leon Sylvers ,post Solar period
King Pleasure--Golden Days --[[HI-FI JAZZ) lp [[196-) $1 , very clean , has MOODYS MOOD on it !!!!
Kaygees--Find A Friend--[[GANG)-- lp [[1976)--$3 Amir Byan/Ronald Bell [[Vintage Kool & Gang groove)
Bill Withers--Making Music--[[Columbia) lp --[[1975)
And this V/A LP from 1988 , a CHARLY import , "The Message Rare Grooves Vol 2". It was one of those compilation LP's that have tracks you already have in one form or another ,except one. One you been looking for ,for a long time. That track for me was DAWSON SMITH's ,"I DONT KNOW IF I CAN MAKE IT" from 1977 ,originally a ROADSHOW 45 ,produced by Dawson and George Kerr. This track is classic classic classic FUNK with a monster sax solo by Dawson. Well worth the $10 I paid for it.

There are 2 sites having "sales" ,[[up to the 13th of NOV) Music Obsession and Earthwave records , that I've bought from and had no problems with.

paladin
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
picked up Jimmy Smiths ,The Sermon @ Academy on 18th Street for $8.00. That's the lp that has "J.O.S. on it

Great picks with the Ebonys and Still Bill.....Those Philipe Wynn tracks after he left the Spinners were so-so to say the least bought them out of curiosity and his mojo was gone.........

Now for the latest offerings that I simply love, Lord knows I touched a dream when I picked up Jimmy Smiths Hoochie Coochie Man....wow !

I also got his stellar " Off The Top " featuring George Benson, Ron Carter, Grady tate and Stanley Turrentine ........Yes!

Hold On Noel Pointer

All About Esther Philips [[produced by Wayne Henderson)

The Leslie Drayton Orchestra feat Barbara Morrison [[ been looking for this for ten years )

The Cannoball Adderly Quintet Live At Lighthouse

Glidin Along Benny Green Quintet feat. Paul Chambers, Junior Mance, Johnny Griffin......

Confunkshun Electric Lady

Lou Rawls Live 2 album live set from Philly International

The Best of Jack McDuff Live

I'll check the sites....man vinyl rules and at the right prices...........

timmyfunk
11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Almost forgot to post:

Side Effect-What You Need
The Best Of The Stylistics
Quincy Jones-Mellow Madness
Weather Report-Black Market and Heavy Weather
Quazar [[2nd Copy)
Blackbyrd [[McKnight) and the Beat Brothers-12" single

daddyacey
11-17-2011, 01:45 AM
I got in the mail today........Brainstorms "Loving Is Really My Game" ,U.K. Red 12" Re-Mix. There's more horns under those great strings than the L.P. mix and the guitars are clearer as well as the percussion. It runs at 7:33 and has a nice breakdown edit.
Also... Labelle's first transformation Warner Bros L.P. in M- vinyl [[no spindle marks on lable) and very nice clean cover.
Brainstorm went for $36!! and Labelle $17...........................HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!-------------Since my mother raised ugly children , not stupid children , and these items have been on my list for years.... I bought them @ 60% off when you spent over $50 and free shipping , but the final bill turned out to be $21.56. Somebodys math is off by my calculations but it seems like my MOM did a excellent job!!:D:D:D Thanks goes out to MusicObsession.

Now I guess I'll catch up on Morris Day L.P.'s I never picked up. The hunt continues.................

timmyfunk
11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
I got in the mail today........Brainstorms "Loving Is Really My Game" ,U.K. Red 12" Re-Mix. There's more horns under those great strings than the L.P. mix and the guitars are clearer as well as the percussion. It runs at 7:33 and has a nice breakdown edit.
Also... Labelle's first transformation Warner Bros L.P. in M- vinyl [[no spindle marks on lable) and very nice clean cover.
Brainstorm went for $36!! and Labelle $17...........................HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!-------------Since my mother raised ugly children , not stupid children , and these items have been on my list for years.... I bought them @ 60% off when you spent over $50 and free shipping , but the final bill turned out to be $21.56. Somebodys math is off by my calculations but it seems like my MOM did a excellent job!!:D:D:D Thanks goes out to MusicObsession.

Now I guess I'll catch up on Morris Day L.P.'s I never picked up. The hunt continues.................

The hunt never ends.

paladin
11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Side Effect-What You Need
The Best Of The Stylistics
Quincy Jones-Mellow Madness

I got those too, nice ....true the hunt never ends........

timmyfunk
11-18-2011, 07:53 PM
I got those too, nice ....true the hunt never ends........

For me, the hunt resumes tomorrow morning.

timmyfunk
11-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Pre-Thanksgiving Re-Up got a little out of hand:

Gil Scott-Heron-Reflections & From South Africa to South Carolina
Dr. Martin Luther King & Malcolm X-The Second American Revolution
Skyy-Skyyport
Bob Marley and the Wailers-Natty Dread
Janet Jackson-Control[[$1-mint condition)
Witch Queen-Bang A Gong
Rick James-Garden Of Love
Zapp-I Can Make You Dance
Ace-An Ace Album
Swing Out Sister-It's Better To Travel
Stevie Wonder-Innervisions
Earth, Wind and Fire-Gratitude
Various Artists-Atlantic Rhythm and Blues-Volume 7 [[1969-1974)

Will I eat this week? Who knows!

Jazz Vinyl
11-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Here's a solid '70's soul/jazz VINYL specialist store link..... operated by fellow Soulful Detroit member.
Wanna see over 1000 original pressings from your past?

http://stores.ebay.com/wattsjazz?refid=store

paladin
11-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Nice site been meaning to get back first came upon it whilre doing business on E Bay..., saw some lovely cuts......prices are just ok, some of the stuff I haven't seen anywhere........the Stanley Turrentine Unreleased album certainly piqued my curiosity.........however not enough information, I might have to wait for a bottom line sale where I can get 5-15 albums at one time....lol.....

timmyfunk
11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Post-Thanksgiving re-up is far more sensible...so far:

Honey Cone-Soulful Tapestry
Buddy Miles-Them Changes
Hall and Oates-H 2 O

Giving thanks to a working turntable.

daddyacey
11-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Buddy Miles-Them Changes------------

Down By The River , and Dreams ..............Is The JOINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On this album....................

timmyfunk
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Buddy Miles-Them Changes------------

Down By The River , and Dreams ..............Is The JOINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On this album....................

I'm beginning to believe that I own the only working turntable in Monmouth County NJ.

arrr&bee
12-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I found a mint copy of a very cool george shering album for $1 at the thrift store...with a killer track of[autume in new york]!

timmyfunk
12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I found a mint copy of a very cool george shering album for $1 at the thrift store...with a killer track of[autume in new york]!

I've never given up on the thrift shops. Found a mint condition Captain Beefheart album, "Clear Spot" for $1.00 years ago.

daddyacey
12-02-2011, 03:12 AM
You never know where and what you might find.
One of my favorite sayings from the "Dazzle" album on Delite , "We are the choosen few that have been blessed, somehow different than the rest"
And my second favorite saying from Clarence Avant's "Tabu" label , "The earth has music for those who will listen"

Daddyacey's main quote to many newbies and others, "Said the spider to the fly ,oh yeah, well listen to this shit , as i pull the vintage black vinyl disc from its cover and place it on the turntable and watch them curl up into aural fetal position. :)

timmyfunk
12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
This weekends vinyl turned up some pretty interesting artifacts:

Sister Sledge-Circle Of Love
The Isley Brothers-The Pride [[12" single)
Betty Davis-They Say I'm Different
L.T.D.-Togetherness
Cameo-Secret Omen
Rita Marley-One Draw [[12" single)
Queen-The Game

Flea markets are a wave of the past...and the present.

Jazz Vinyl
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Yesterday, I located a clean copy of Ace Spectrum "Low Rent Rendezvous", my first.
Now I can't stop playing the extended instrumental ending of "Keep Holding On"....nearly 9 minutes of layered groove [[is it MSFB?). With it's Blowfly-worthy cover, somehow I wrongly passed over this record for decades. Now strings are swirling, horns are pumping, eyes are shut...in the moment. Moments like these keep me diggin', the lessons never end.

Jazz Vinyl
12-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Paladin - thanks for your kind note.

timmyfunk
12-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Just got a vinyl 12" EP from France, courtesy of one Gary Mudbone Cooper of Parliament-Funkadelic, Bootsy's Rubber Band, and Sly Fox. The formerly unreleased Gary and Garry album from 1982. A serious pick-me-up for someone getting through a sick day from work.

lleitner1
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a friend who has been making live recordings of various local bands at different clubs around town and committing those recordings to limited edition vinyl. It is called the Motor City Special and he is up to vol 5 or 6 now. He has a show on Udetroit.com every Thursday evening. Always an entertaining show. Here is the URL: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/udetroit-live

Show starts at 10PM Eastern time.

Also, If you are in the Detroit area and have a turntable that is giving you trouble. I happen to repair them. Been working on them about 30 years. After a few years of not seeing any coming in for service, I have been getting a lot of them. It's good to see.

Larry

timmyfunk
12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
In what might be the last Vinyl Re-Up of 2012, the plot thickens:

BT Express-Do It 'Til You're Satisfied
Wings-Venus And Mars [[with poster)
Spandau Ballet-The Singles Collection
McCartney-Self titled debut
The Beatles Second Album [[Apple records pressing)

The following all came out of the $1.00 section of Funk And Standard Variety Store:

Jermaine Jackson-My Name Is Jermaine
Gladys Knight and the Pips-Anthology
John Cougar-American Fool
Richard Pryor-Live On The Sunset Strip
Buddy Miles-More Miles Per Gallon
Rotary Connection-Self titled
Mongo Santamaria-Red Hot

For $1.00 a pop, I will free my mind.

daddyacey
12-20-2011, 03:37 AM
I had a training meeting for the job in downtown Brooklyn which put me close to the Village en-route home. A good reason to detour and it turned out to be a good idea. I was jonesing since I haven't been out shopping at the stores and the last time I had good run was at the WFMU Record fair in Oct. Since then I been doin some on line shopping ,but I was gettin that urge to go diggin. I picked out one spot and the pickings was pretty good.............................................. ....

Ronnie Dyson--Phase 2--1982--Cotillion-- [[A straight up Philly LP ,produced by the esteemed BOBBY ELI) Mint $1

Phoebe Snow--Phoebe Snow--1974--Shelter/ABC-- Mint $1

George Benson--In Your Eyes--1983 --Warner Bros Mint- $1

Bobby Womack--The Poet-- [[I have this but it was mint and cost $1)

David Peaston-- Introducing David Peaston--1989--Geffen--[[I have this but it was mint and cost $1)

The Rebirth Of The Cool--A compilation from Delicious Vinyl UK--1989-- Jazz based beats ,Raps. Tastefull Nice--$5 VG +

The Fania All Stars--Commitment--1980--Fania-- $6 VG+ [[2 cuts that feature Celia Cruz. I love this womans voice even though I don't understand a lot of Spanish. Her voice is as dynamic as Dinah Washington, Oh My GAWD!!!!...............)

The Charlie Parker Story #3---Verve--Original Press--Produced by Norman Granz--[[A post humous compilation in VG++ condition with Miles ,Monk and Dizzy on some tracks)----$5

I still want to go on one last store spree to close out 2011. Maybe I'll burn up a sick day or 2 ,[[cough cough), until tax time comes around.

timmyfunk
12-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I had a training meeting for the job in downtown Brooklyn which put me close to the Village en-route home. A good reason to detour and it turned out to be a good idea. I was jonesing since I haven't been out shopping at the stores and the last time I had good run was at the WFMU Record fair in Oct. Since then I been doin some on line shopping ,but I was gettin that urge to go diggin. I picked out one spot and the pickings was pretty good.............................................. ....

Ronnie Dyson--Phase 2--1982--Cotillion-- [[A straight up Philly LP ,produced by the esteemed BOBBY ELI) Mint $1

Phoebe Snow--Phoebe Snow--1974--Shelter/ABC-- Mint $1

George Benson--In Your Eyes--1983 --Warner Bros Mint- $1

Bobby Womack--The Poet-- [[I have this but it was mint and cost $1)

David Peaston-- Introducing David Peaston--1989--Geffen--[[I have this but it was mint and cost $1)

The Rebirth Of The Cool--A compilation from Delicious Vinyl UK--1989-- Jazz based beats ,Raps. Tastefull Nice--$5 VG +

The Fania All Stars--Commitment--1980--Fania-- $6 VG+ [[2 cuts that feature Celia Cruz. I love this womans voice even though I don't understand a lot of Spanish. Her voice is as dynamic as Dinah Washington, Oh My GAWD!!!!...............)

The Charlie Parker Story #3---Verve--Original Press--Produced by Norman Granz--[[A post humous compilation in VG++ condition with Miles ,Monk and Dizzy on some tracks)----$5

I still want to go on one last store spree to close out 2011. Maybe I'll burn up a sick day or 2 ,[[cough cough), until tax time comes around.

Do you think that value of original 1970's R&B, Soul, and Funk is somehow decreasing? My re-up has been surprisingly easy and generally cheap. This just wasn't the case, even 10 years ago.

daddyacey
12-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Aww Shucks... That's a good question. I think that the stock of vintage vinyl that has been sitting in storage for years has been made more available at the wholesale level ,since the advent and popularity of the CD format. I have noticed that a lot of the vinyl is new cut-out ,unsold stock as well as a lot of vintage used rare stock that you could not find over the past 5 years or so. I'm shocked at the good to excellent condition of some rare titles I run across. I have found vintage titles that are not on CD for far less and in greater numbers than were available in the past 5 years. For me to have found Maxayn and Ectasy Passion and Pain LP's in excellent condition means that those who had those titles have liquidated them at low prices for lack of storage or lack of the understanding that there are people out there that want those titles. There is also the fact that collectors outside of the U.S. are buying a lot of these titles and also that there is a retro thing going on for true R&B that were ignored during the DISCO period. I have almost 400 retro albums ,for example original pressings of Westbound Ohio Players, Funkadelic ,Solar Whispers,Dynasty, Soul Train Gang ,Stax, Motown and other true classic LP's that are doubles and in good to excellent condition that I will be listing for trade or sale in the new year. [[SDF friends get first dibs of course) It's a strange market. Those that have the most product from that period have no choice but to get rid of them at low prices ,[[that being stores ) but on line outlets offer the same at higher prices because they attract those not in a position to shop in stores in certain areas where the customers are in rural areas. I find or run across titles that go for $10-$20 on line or at shows for $1-$5 in stores here in N.Y.C.

timmyfunk
12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Aww Shucks... That's a good question. I think that the stock of vintage vinyl that has been sitting in storage for years has been made more available at the wholesale level ,since the advent and popularity of the CD format. I have noticed that a lot of the vinyl is new cut-out ,unsold stock as well as a lot of vintage used rare stock that you could not find over the past 5 years or so. I'm shocked at the good to excellent condition of some rare titles I run across. I have found vintage titles that are not on CD for far less and in greater numbers than were available in the past 5 years. For me to have found Maxayn and Ectasy Passion and Pain LP's in excellent condition means that those who had those titles have liquidated them at low prices for lack of storage or lack of the understanding that there are people out there that want those titles. There is also the fact that collectors outside of the U.S. are buying a lot of these titles and also that there is a retro thing going on for true R&B that were ignored during the DISCO period. I have almost 400 retro albums ,for example original pressings of Westbound Ohio Players, Funkadelic ,Solar Whispers,Dynasty, Soul Train Gang ,Stax, Motown and other true classic LP's that are doubles and in good to excellent condition that I will be listing for trade or sale in the new year. [[SDF friends get first dibs of course) It's a strange market. Those that have the most product from that period have no choice but to get rid of them at low prices ,[[that being stores ) but on line outlets offer the same at higher prices because they attract those not in a position to shop in stores in certain areas where the customers are in rural areas. I find or run across titles that go for $10-$20 on line or at shows for $1-$5 in stores here in N.Y.C.

I know that the record stores that I frequent have dramatically lowered the price of it's vinyl simply to generate more interest in everything else they're carrying. This re-up project has been surprisingly rapid and generally affordable.

Say DA, you wouldn't happen to have EWF's Faces LP with the poster?

daddyacey
12-23-2011, 02:18 AM
I lent it to a young lady about 10 years ago. Ain't seen her or it since. I will keep my eye out for one in my travels ,O.K.?

timmyfunk
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
The Vinyl-Re Up for 2012 has officially taken flight:

Mother's Finest [[ST)
Maze-Before I Let Go-Live [[12")
Pablo Cruise- A Place In The Sun
Miles Davis-Get Up With It
Wings-Goodnight Tonight
Midnight Star-Hot Spot [[12")
Kiddo-Try My Lovin' [[12")
Bell and James-Livin' It Up [[12")
... Yellow Magic Orchestra-Computer Games [[12")
War-Galaxy [[12")
Brass Construction-5
Aurra [[ST)

With the obvious exception of Miles Davis, all of this wonderful vinyl came out of the $1.00 bin.

paladin
01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
With the obvious exception of Miles Davis, all of this wonderful vinyl came out of the $1.00 bin.

Tim thats good looking out.....have most of them in my collection, great finds......

arrr&bee
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
i lent it to a young lady about 10 years ago. Ain't seen her or it since. I will keep my eye out for one in my travels ,o.k.?hey daddyacey,maybe she was the[lady in blue]that the moments sang about[smile]!

daddyacey
01-08-2012, 01:58 AM
hey daddyacey,maybe she was the[lady in blue]that the moments sang about[smile]!

LOL , She have been.

2012-- Music Obsession has this sale on ,50% off when you spend $100. So if you order $100 worth it's onl $50 ,plus free shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timmyfunk
01-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Vinyl Re-Up for the week ending January 14th, 2012:

Malcolm X Speaks Again
The Time-Ice Cream Castles
Tears For Fears-The Hurting
Michael Henderson-Wide Reciever [[12" single)
Stanley Clarke-Just A Feeling [[12" single)
Gloria Gaynor-Love Tracks
Various Artists-Motown Show Tunes
Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes-Black and Blue
The Gap Band-Party Train [[12" single)
Steve Miller Band-Abracadabra [[12" single)

Preparing the senses for the P-Funk onslaught, coming in February.

daddyacey
01-15-2012, 04:32 AM
I see your off to a great start for the New Year Timmy. I made a list for the Music Obsession sale ,but didn't buy anything. I wound up going thru my collection doing inventory and purging ,because space is becoming an issue. At last count when I went into storage I estimated 3738 in LP/12inches. That's not including 45's and CD's...
The sad? part is ..I'm feeling that itch to go shopping but I need to clean up my act a little before I do. I'm retiring from work at the end of this year and I know that collecting is going to be easier than it has been. I'm looking forward to that but at the same time I got to get a grip on this also ,even though my storage space is free ,but even that has its limit. Regardless of all that...the hunt will...continue.....hee hee hee.......

timmyfunk
01-29-2012, 09:05 PM
The Vinyl Re-Up for January is done:

Xavier-Work That Sucker To Death [[my old copy was played to death)
Grace Jones-Nightclubbing
Graham Central Station-Release Yourself
Malcolm McClaren-Double Dutch
Ohio Players-Skin Tight
The Pointer Sisters

Most discs emerging out of the $1.00 bin.

daddyacey
01-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Xavier-Work That Sucker To Death [[my old copy was played to death). That's an excellent piece.
I haven't been able to get away to shop and didn't order anything on line yet. I had to buy something so I got these CD's cause the prices were right.

The Best Of Silver Convention-- Import-
The Best Of The Ritchie Family--Import
Band Of Gold-Best Of Freda Payne-- Invictus/Castle Import
B.T. Express --2 for-- Edsel Import All were $2.99 new

From an FYE store WATTSTAX 3 Disc set --$6.99 new
JILL SCOTT--FROM THE VAULT--$5.99 new

timmyfunk
01-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Xavier-Work That Sucker To Death [[my old copy was played to death). That's an excellent piece.
I haven't been able to get away to shop and didn't order anything on line yet. I had to buy something so I got these CD's cause the prices were right.

The Best Of Silver Convention-- Import-
The Best Of The Ritchie Family--Import
Band Of Gold-Best Of Freda Payne-- Invictus/Castle Import
B.T. Express --2 for-- Edsel Import All were $2.99 new

From an FYE store WATTSTAX 3 Disc set --$6.99 new
JILL SCOTT--FROM THE VAULT--$5.99 new

Stop DA please! "Save Me" is the ultimate disco classic.
I thought I was the only one that I got that Wattstax 3 CD set for $6.00. DA, you scare me.

timmyfunk
03-04-2012, 08:37 PM
March Vinyl Re-Up:

Caroline Crawford-Nice And Soulful [[produced by Hamilton Bohannon)
100 Proof Aged In Soul-Somebody's Sleeping In My Bed

timmyfunk
04-07-2012, 10:16 PM
April vinyl re-up leaves the starting gate:

Kool And The Gang-Greatest Hits
Malcolm X-Message To The Grass Roots
Afrika Bambaataa-Beware
The Last Poets
Don Ray-Garden Of Love
Sugarhill Gang-8th Wonder [[12" single)

arrr&bee
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey vinyl lovers,i recently fould a great thriftstore warehouse that has a great collection of-45's-albums[you think i ain't in record heaven,hehe]and for a dollar each what a deal and most are in mint condition too!!

daddyacey
04-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Well , I been in a sort of Funk Azz Mood here for too damn long , so I took a few days off and went south to my folks for a few days. I stopped at this vinyl store down in Daytona ,not far from the airport. I picked up ..........................
BLACK IVORY---HANGIN 'HEAVY
MORRIS DAY---DAY DREAMING
CELESTIAL SKY---- THE STARSHIP ORCH.. [[a Norman Conners Production on CBS) 1980
BRENDA RUSSELL---GET HERE
IMPACT--- THE PAC IS BACK---- [[The second and last album from this group)
T.L.C.----AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG remix 12"

All for $3 each clean !!

In St.Augustine Fla , I found......

ABBEY ROAD ---THE BEATLES----PARLAPHONE CD $6.99
EMBRYA----MAXWELL----$5
PARANOID---BLACK SABBATH---$5 [[ahh memories of High School!!!)

Yes.........I'm feelin a little less down in the Funk..............
Waitin on the tax return...............

timmyfunk
04-25-2012, 01:37 PM
While in Philly for the TOP/AWB show, I thought I'd make a day out of it by hitting the prime record shops. The vinyl re-up got mad open this time around:

Isley Brothers-Showdown and Live
Patrice Rushen-Straight From The Heart
Tower Of Power-Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now [[autographed by the entire band after their set, as well as the self titled AWB album signed by the band)
Tom Browne-Magic

And in case y'all didn't know, VINYL STILL RULES....AND ROCKS!!!!!

timmyfunk
04-26-2012, 06:12 PM
One more late addition: Duke Ellington and John Coltrane

Easily one of the most underrated Coltrane albums ever.

timmyfunk
05-20-2012, 11:57 AM
And the results of my trek to the NYC Record Convention is as follows:

Jimmy Castor-Butt Of Course
Patrice Rushen-Pizzazz
Young and Co.-I Like What You're Doing To Me

The results of my trek to a yard sale this morning is as follows:

Donna Summer-Four Seasons Of Love and On The Radio-Greatest Hits Volumes I and II. $1.00 a piece.

timmyfunk
06-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Fresh from a vacation in Columbia, South Carolina and I'm knee deep in the re-up again:

Keep In Touch [[Body To Body)-The Shades Of Love
Never Gonna Give You Up-Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers
The Best of Paul Mauriat
Billie Holiday-Lady In Satin
Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes

Summer is here and the time is right for dancin' in the streets.

daddyacey
06-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Timmy----Are you talking about the Holiday Inn ????

Well , I'm slowly coming out of my Funk I was in. I said .Self , you need to buy some records. So Music Obsession had a sale and I found these.........................

Gill,johnny-My, My, My Lp Vers. 5:20/7" Edit 4:03/instrum. 5:20 12" [[Ref: 74296) 13.20 USD
Motown U.S. 12" vinyl, GILL, JOHNNY: My, My, My lp vers. 5:20/7" edit 4:03/instrum. 5:20, Motown 18359/white label promo/diecut generic label cover/'90... . - LIKE NEW condition
Sounds Of Blackness-The Pressure Pt. 1 Serious Lo-key Mix 8:39/serious Lo-key Ra 12" [[Ref: 85477) 22.00 USD
Perspective U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS: The Pressure Pt. 1 serious lo-key mix 8:39/serious lo-key radio edit 4:27/serious lo-key beats 1:37/classic 12Ó mix 8:15/sound factory mix 5:55/classic radio mix 4:08/flow mix 6:52/flow mix radio edit 4:18/real disco mix 7:30/real disco mix radio edit 4:22, Perspective 28968 1202/2 eps/cust.sticker/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
Gill,johnny-Wrap My Body Tight 7"radio Edit/12"remake Vers./fu 12" [[Ref: 78054) 8.80 USD
Motown U.S. 12" vinyl, GILL, JOHNNY: Wrap My Body Tight 7"radio edit/12"remake vers./funk radio/soul mix/house mix/lp vers., Motown 1088/white label promo/diecut generic label cover/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
Soul Ii Soul-A Dreams A Dream Night At Opera Mix 5:45/a Dreams A Dream Cl 12" [[Ref: 10212) 6.60 USD
Virgin U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUL II SOUL: A Dreams A Dream night at opera mix 5:45/A Dreams A Dream club mix 4:25/Courtney Blows 4:32, Virgin 1496/dj/'90... . - LIKE NEW condition
Sounds Of Blackness-Optimistic 12" Alright Mix 8:53/12" Inner Mix 8:45 12" [[Ref: 188659) 17.60 USD
Perspective U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS: Optimistic 12" alright mix 8:53/12" inner mix 8:45/12" never say die mix 7:06/lp vers. edit 4:32, Perspective 28968 1200/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition

Discount : -27.28 USD [[40%)
SubTotal : 40.92 USD
Shipping : 6.00 USD
ORDER TOTAL: 46.92 USD

SHIPPED ITEMS:
Your order is on the way!

HEE HEE HEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timmyfunk
06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Timmy----Are you talking about the Holiday Inn ????

Well , I'm slowly coming out of my Funk I was in. I said .Self , you need to buy some records. So Music Obsession had a sale and I found these.........................

Gill,johnny-My, My, My Lp Vers. 5:20/7" Edit 4:03/instrum. 5:20 12" [[Ref: 74296) 13.20 USD
Motown U.S. 12" vinyl, GILL, JOHNNY: My, My, My lp vers. 5:20/7" edit 4:03/instrum. 5:20, Motown 18359/white label promo/diecut generic label cover/'90... . - LIKE NEW condition
Sounds Of Blackness-The Pressure Pt. 1 Serious Lo-key Mix 8:39/serious Lo-key Ra 12" [[Ref: 85477) 22.00 USD
Perspective U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS: The Pressure Pt. 1 serious lo-key mix 8:39/serious lo-key radio edit 4:27/serious lo-key beats 1:37/classic 12Ó mix 8:15/sound factory mix 5:55/classic radio mix 4:08/flow mix 6:52/flow mix radio edit 4:18/real disco mix 7:30/real disco mix radio edit 4:22, Perspective 28968 1202/2 eps/cust.sticker/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
Gill,johnny-Wrap My Body Tight 7"radio Edit/12"remake Vers./fu 12" [[Ref: 78054) 8.80 USD
Motown U.S. 12" vinyl, GILL, JOHNNY: Wrap My Body Tight 7"radio edit/12"remake vers./funk radio/soul mix/house mix/lp vers., Motown 1088/white label promo/diecut generic label cover/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
Soul Ii Soul-A Dreams A Dream Night At Opera Mix 5:45/a Dreams A Dream Cl 12" [[Ref: 10212) 6.60 USD
Virgin U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUL II SOUL: A Dreams A Dream night at opera mix 5:45/A Dreams A Dream club mix 4:25/Courtney Blows 4:32, Virgin 1496/dj/'90... . - LIKE NEW condition
Sounds Of Blackness-Optimistic 12" Alright Mix 8:53/12" Inner Mix 8:45 12" [[Ref: 188659) 17.60 USD
Perspective U.S. 12" vinyl, SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS: Optimistic 12" alright mix 8:53/12" inner mix 8:45/12" never say die mix 7:06/lp vers. edit 4:32, Perspective 28968 1200/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition

Discount : -27.28 USD [[40%)
SubTotal : 40.92 USD
Shipping : 6.00 USD
ORDER TOTAL: 46.92 USD

SHIPPED ITEMS:
Your order is on the way!

HEE HEE HEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like buying vinyl to rescue you from the blahs.

timmyfunk
06-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I see your off to a great start for the New Year Timmy. I made a list for the Music Obsession sale ,but didn't buy anything. I wound up going thru my collection doing inventory and purging ,because space is becoming an issue. At last count when I went into storage I estimated 3738 in LP/12inches. That's not including 45's and CD's...
The sad? part is ..I'm feeling that itch to go shopping but I need to clean up my act a little before I do. I'm retiring from work at the end of this year and I know that collecting is going to be easier than it has been. I'm looking forward to that but at the same time I got to get a grip on this also ,even though my storage space is free ,but even that has its limit. Regardless of all that...the hunt will...continue.....hee hee hee.......

Congrats on your retirement. I don't know of a better way to celebrate your first day of retirement than to go vinyl hunting.

destruction
06-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Lucked into a young lady on Craigslist with about 250 plus Choice vinyl cuts that she fell into.....Picked up over 30 for fiddy cents a pop. In no particular order, here's the first 15:

The Roy Meriwether Trio ‎– Popcorn & Soul: Groovin' At The Movies
Duke Pearson - now hear this
freda payne - contact
lonnie smith - keep on lovin' [[not liston)
nina simone - it is finished
this is reggae music
The roy meriwether trio - soup and onions/soul cookin
Pharoah Sanders - Deaf Dumb Blind [[Summun Bukmun Umyun)
pharoah sanders - tauhid
andy bey - experience and judgement
oscar brown jr - brother where are you
Yusef Lateef‎ – The Diverse Yusef Lateef
billy cobham george duke band - live
marlena shaw - who is this bitch
stan getz - voices

I had never heard of Roy Meriwether or the other Lonnie Smith.....but they looked chance wothy. She had a pretty good selection of Jazz, Near-Jazz, and the kind of records that seemed to fit in this collection, even though they were "No Jazz".

TimmyF.....I did not know the Coltrane/Ellington joint was ever on vinyl.....I first heard about it around 2005..... and I picked up couple of Patrice Rushen cuts that I can't wait to listen to. Nina and Pharoah are lifetime faves. The Deaf Dumb, Blind album is a replacement copy for me

timmyfunk
06-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Lucked into a young lady on Craigslist with about 250 plus Choice vinyl cuts that she fell into.....Picked up over 30 for fiddy cents a pop. In no particular order, here's the first 15:

The Roy Meriwether Trio ‎– Popcorn & Soul: Groovin' At The Movies
Duke Pearson - now hear this
freda payne - contact
lonnie smith - keep on lovin' [[not liston)
nina simone - it is finished
this is reggae music
The roy meriwether trio - soup and onions/soul cookin
Pharoah Sanders - Deaf Dumb Blind [[Summun Bukmun Umyun)
pharoah sanders - tauhid
andy bey - experience and judgement
oscar brown jr - brother where are you
Yusef Lateef‎ – The Diverse Yusef Lateef
billy cobham george duke band - live
marlena shaw - who is this bitch
stan getz - voices

I had never heard of Roy Meriwether or the other Lonnie Smith.....but they looked chance wothy. She had a pretty good selection of Jazz, Near-Jazz, and the kind of records that seemed to fit in this collection, even though they were "No Jazz".

TimmyF.....I did not know the Coltrane/Ellington joint was ever on vinyl.....I first heard about it around 2005..... and I picked up couple of Patrice Rushen cuts that I can't wait to listen to. Nina and Pharoah are lifetime faves. The Deaf Dumb, Blind album is a replacement copy for me

Really? I've never owned the CD of the Coltrane/Ellington joint. I've always owned the vinyl. I wouldn't mind owning a original Japanese vinyl of that record. There's something about those Japanese original Impulse pressings. Really distinctive.

destruction
06-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Tim.....I am such a knucklehead.

I was thinking about the Monk/Coltrane Carnegie Hall Cd that surfaced in 2005.

Confounded by the Giants of Jazz.

And speaking of Impulse....I loved the piece WaxPoetics did on them a while ago......do u still follow the mag? I missed out on the Prince issue....and just took a pass last week on the recent hip hop issue...... I'll pick it up later if I run across a discounted version.

timmyfunk
06-27-2012, 05:29 PM

And speaking of Impulse....I loved the piece WaxPoetics did on them a while ago......do u still follow the mag? I missed out on the Prince issue....and just took a pass last week on the recent hip hop issue...... I'll pick it up later if I run across a discounted version.

Knucklehead? Hardly. Vinyl junkie......uhhhhh....yeah.
Now you know I still have my subscription to the WP. Their new layout is even more attractive to the eye.

timmyfunk
06-27-2012, 05:30 PM

You know, when I look at all of those back issues and the artists they've covered, at least 90% of everyone in my record collection. It's like having an encyclopedia of Black music in your own home.

timmyfunk
07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
One quick cop: French Kiss-Bob Welch

timmyfunk
07-29-2012, 04:03 PM
End of the month grab:

Carl Carlton-1981
The Ramsey Lewis Trio-The In Crowd
Diana Ross and the Supremes-Farewell [[in the original white box)
Carlos Santana/Mahavishnu Joun McLuaghlin- Love, Devotion, Surrender
T-Connection-Magic

timmyfunk
08-11-2012, 12:15 PM
August re-up has commenced:

The Jackson 5-Superstar Series
Malcolm McClaaren-Duck Rock
Evelyn Champagne King-Smooth Talk
Andy Gibb-Shadow Dancing

Something to keep myself occupied before the next round of concerts, which should include Sheila E and Mary J. Blige.

daddyacey
08-12-2012, 01:58 PM
[[Malcolm McClaaren-Duck Rock)--A great album

I ordered Gris Gris--Dr.John

Changes--- Keni Burke

Morning Noon Nightliters--- The Nite-Lighters
From Sound Stage Direct.com

timmyfunk
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
[[Malcolm McClaaren-Duck Rock)--A great album

I ordered Gris Gris--Dr.John

Changes--- Keni Burke

Morning Noon Nightliters--- The Nite-Lighters
From Sound Stage Direct.com

To slide this into the CD realm for a hot minute, are you as tempted as I am to get that EWF Columbia Masters collection?

daddyacey
08-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Re: That EWF Columbia Masters collection.......
No... Because I have most of the original Lp's on vinyl, the reissued CD releases with some "bonus" tracks that I bought at stores like FYI , TOWER and Barnes and Noble when they closed ,at real discount prices. I have that 3 disc Box set I got on sale from BMG CD Club years ago for cheap , so all the EWF that I like I have already. I think the MASTERS COLLECTION , it's a good set for someone that has say only currently 1/3 of the tracks on the MASTERS COLLECTION , or has to replace worn tracks they have with clean tracks. Otherwise for me its not cost or space effective...........................

But Timmy , If you feeling that EWF Columbia Masters collection , then shop around and jump on it........ Shiii---- Life is toooo short to pinch on yourself :>

timmyfunk
08-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm gonna have to go through my own collection and see how many EWF CD's I have. It is undeniably a very attractive package.

soulster
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
I have eleven EWF albums on CD, six CD comps plus one boxed set. I have a few needledrops of 45s that aren't even available on CD or vinyl.

timmyfunk
08-21-2012, 05:55 PM
After examining my CD collection, I've found that the only EWF albums I'm missing is "Spirit". The others are post-1980 albums that to me are in no way essential, except "Faces"...maybe.

daddyacey
08-26-2012, 01:56 AM
The Eternal Dance box set is better for you if you have all the other reissued album CD's with bonus tracks and Spirit is available here.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1665964/a/Spirit.htm [[http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1665964/a/Spirit.htm)

Also look for "Alive in 75" CD. With all of those , you're set

timmyfunk
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Vinyl Re-Up through the mail:

Sheila E-In Romance 1600

Now if she autographs it for me on Thursday at BB Kings, all will be right in the world.

timmyfunk
09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Before I list the latest cop, it should be noted that Sheila E did indeed sign the copy of In Romance 1600 that I brought to the show. Also got a picture with her and met Marv2 in the process.

And now, a massive jackpot of original vinyl awaits my perusal. Average price-$2.42:

Ray Charles-The Genius Hits The Road
The Friends Of Distinction-Greatest Hits
Kool and the Gang-Live at PJ's
Third World-Journey To Addis
The Jackson Five-Diana Ross Presents....[[still in the shrink wrap) and the Third Album
Parlet-Pleasure Principle [[now you know I wasn't going to leave that in the store)

The following LP's were priced at $.50 cents a piece:

McFadden and Whitehead-containing Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
Confunkshun-Mr. Tamborine Man/Bumpsumbody-12" single on Fretone records
Donny Hathaway-In Performance
The Commodores-Brick House 12"
Kool and the Gang-Kool Jazz [[damn near mint condition) and Live at the Sex Machine
Ray Charles-Modern Sounds In Country and Western Music

This was easily the best of Vinyl Re-Up I've experienced in quite a while.

timmyfunk
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Interesting side note: on my way here to the library, I encountered some people throwing out some trash including some records. What did I find? "City Lights" by Nick Gilder featuring the classic "Hot Child In The City". How's that for collectors luck?

timmyfunk
10-21-2012, 12:33 PM
As if the last re-up couldn't be beaten:

Marvin Gaye Live-beat up album cover, but the record itself is a strong VG. Price-free.
Lady Sings The Blues-Billie Holiday-Super mint original pressing. Price-3.00
ChangesTwoBowie-David Bowie-Price-3.00
World's Famous Supreme Team-Hey DJ-Price-free.

Jack's Music Shop has been berry berry good to me.

daddyacey
10-24-2012, 12:05 AM
1) REMINDER---It's that time again http://wfmu.org/recfair/ [[http://wfmu.org/recfair/) It's worth the trip,

2) Back on track!!!!!!!!! 10/22/12 finds in the Village

Hard Not To Like It-----Archie Bell & Drells 1977
The Everything Man---Jimmy Castor 1974
When I Get Back Home---Vernon Burch 1977
Truly Bad-------------Ron Banks ******* 1983
Fantasy----------------Heaven & Earth 1979
That's Love----------- " 1981
The Best Of Norman Connors & Friends-- 1979

Now I'm ready for the WFMU Record Fair Nov 3.

Timmy-- It's the NYC Record Convention times 20. There are vendors from all over the country there. Prices are from $1 and up and you can bargain with most of them. Last year there was a guy there with bins of vintage jazz for $3-$20 ,nice clean pieces but I had already max out my budget when I saw him. It's a good 3 hour stay at the least. Holla if you make the trip.

Vinyl!!!!!!!!! It's a hell of a drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

timmyfunk
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
1) REMINDER---It's that time again http://wfmu.org/recfair/ [[http://wfmu.org/recfair/) It's worth the trip,

2) Back on track!!!!!!!!! 10/22/12 finds in the Village

Hard Not To Like It-----Archie Bell & Drells 1977
The Everything Man---Jimmy Castor 1974
When I Get Back Home---Vernon Burch 1977
Truly Bad-------------Ron Banks ******* 1983
Fantasy----------------Heaven & Earth 1979
That's Love----------- " 1981
The Best Of Norman Connors & Friends-- 1979

Now I'm ready for the WFMU Record Fair Nov 3.

Timmy-- It's the NYC Record Convention times 20. There are vendors from all over the country there. Prices are from $1 and up and you can bargain with most of them. Last year there was a guy there with bins of vintage jazz for $3-$20 ,nice clean pieces but I had already max out my budget when I saw him. It's a good 3 hour stay at the least. Holla if you make the trip.

Vinyl!!!!!!!!! It's a hell of a drug!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Oh I've done the WFMU convention a couple of times. I may do it this year again. But free records is a hell of an incentive not to go.

daddyacey
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Update on this thread...............
Sandy wiped out the WFMU Fair ,
I have not been able to check on the vinyl stores below 23rd street as of yet,
I did officially retire after 39 years of working, immediately catching the flu ,[[3 weeks worth) and then my younger brother was placed on life support from heart trouble. All I can do is pray. Beside prayer, I felt It was time to take some time to decompress and.......buy some vinyl. So I found this little used book and record shop on 72nd st , NYC and came away @ $5 each with....................................

D.J. Rogers--- Trust Me
Ruffin and Kendrick-- [[RCA)
Mahogany Soundtrack
Andre Cymone-- Living In The New Wave
Bohannon--- Music In The Air

I'm gonna hang in there ,

timmyfunk
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
You know you have my support. At the moment I am waiting for the following:

Fontella Bass-The New Look; original LP
The Hollies-Greatest Hits

MIKEW-UK
01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
daddyacey, all good wishes to you..You are an important contributor to the forum, we all appreciate your comments...

daddyacey
02-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Thank's guys !!!

timmyfunk
03-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Vinyl Re-Up for March 2013. Nothing essential, but more sentimental than anything else:

McFadden & Whitehead-Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now
GQ-Disco Nights [[Rock Freak)G
Grover Washington Jr.-Mister Magic

timmyfunk
03-25-2013, 06:21 PM
One more Vinyl Re-Up courtesy of the taxman:

ConFunkShun-Fever and To The Max
Super Disco Breaks-Volume 4
Platinum Hook
Ronnie Laws-Every Generation-This album has a personal back story. I vaguely remembered the title cut from this album from my high school days. I probably would've forgotten it had it not been for one of the Rhino compilation Smooth Grooves: Jazzy Soul 3. It has become of one of my favorite ballads. It's not even a love ballad. It's a life ballad.

The following were procurred at the Salvation Army and a thrift store a block away for a dollar a piece:

Pockets-Come Go With Us
The Whispers-Love Is Where You Find It
Teddy Pendergrass-It's Time For Love
Saturday Night Fever soundtrack
Angela Bofill-Angel Of The Night

A very messy day weather wise, but a bountiful one music wise.

timmyfunk
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Philly Vinyl Re-Up for April 2012

Suzi Lane-Harmony [[12" single)
Pieces of A Dream-Warm Weather [[12" single)
Cameo-Knights Of The Sound Table [[CD)
Maceo Parker-My First Name Is Maceo

Sounds Of Market in Philly done saved my soul again.

Kamasu_Jr
07-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Nobody told me that taking care of vinyl can be hard work. There are inner sleeves to tape and repair. And I often have to clean wear or ring wear from outer sleeves. For this, I use an art eraser which removes dirt. Covers are another issue; If they are loose, do I tape or re-glue them? My dad said he uses a bit of Dawn dish detergent, warm water, a soft sponge and a lint free cloth to clean and rebuff vinyl. Here's what I found recently: Get It While You Can- Howard Tate; Don't Look Back- Natalie Cole; Check It Out- Tavares; Jr. Walker & the All-Stars Live; Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway; Temptations Live at The Talk of the TOWN [Swedish PRESSING.]

timmyfunk
07-31-2013, 09:57 AM
I've been lucky enough to always find VG+ condition copies of records, so I don't usually have the problem of taping inner sleeves or covers. Buying protective plastic sleeves are also a good move.

Kamasu_Jr
07-31-2013, 08:06 PM
I've been lucky enough to always find VG+ condition copies of records, so I don't usually have the problem of taping inner sleeves or covers. Buying protective plastic sleeves are also a good move.

I have bought the protective sleeves. Many times a dealer will grade the vinyl record as near mint, but the cover is worn. This happens most with vinyl I purchase through mail order.

daddyacey
08-02-2013, 12:50 PM
You will find that you pay top dollar for a clean cover and vinyl. I have found VG+ vinyl in the stankest cover ,and bad vinyl in clean covers. As long as it's something I want for myself , the vinyl is the most important.
Dawn works great on cleaning ,it cuts the oil dirt. I follow with a mix of 50% distilled water and 50% of ETHYL [[not ISOPROPL) alcohol. The best cloth you can get for buffing and cleaning is those cloths that come with your glasses. They also have those microfiber cloths in the 99 cent stores.

daddyacey
08-03-2013, 01:08 AM
@ kamasu-Jr --- What turntable did you get?

timmyfunk
10-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Vinyl Re-Up for fall 2013:

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes-Wake Up Everybody
The Floaters-[[self titled)
Next stop: P-Funk @ BB Kings and the Chiller Theatre convention.

daddyacey
10-23-2013, 01:39 AM
I'm down here in Florida for two weeks and picked up these pieces in Daytona Beach...@ $2 each all LP's

Van McCoy.........My Favorite Fantasy 1978
Xavier........Point Of Pleasure 1982
Gene Chandler...Here's To Love 1981
The Nite Liters....Different Strokes 1972
Labelle....Nightbirds........1974 [[Quadraphonic SQ) clean!!!!

12"s
Troop /Levert.....For The Love Of Money/Living For The City [[medley) Promo
Lisa Fischer...Save Me [[David Morales remix) Promo
Nick and Val .......Count Your Blessings.. Promo

Up in St. Augustine I picked up a Beatles Anthology CD [[vol 2) with remixes and demos [[2 Disc Apple set) for $10

I fly home Thursday.
Waiting on the BIG Record Show 11/21-23/ in NYC that was cancelled last year due to Sandy.

daddyacey
11-24-2013, 03:48 AM
Last week I drove up to Albany ,N.Y. I stopped by a store that I've bought stuff from on line. I took about 200 cleaned albums that I wanted to get rid of. The stores that buy used vinyl want to give you $1-$2 for what they will resell @ $8- and up. For about 50 albums I cleared ,gas and toll money. The albums really didn't cost me anything so it was worth the trip ,just to get out the city for a weekend. I would have done better taking it in trade but , there was so much stuff in this small store to go thru ,I just passed on shopping.
Now today I went to the BIG Record Show 11/21-23/ in NYC . The place was packed with 200 vendors and about 2000 patrons. A lot of vintage jazz ,rock ,but not as much R&B/Funk/Soul as I thought. You had to shop around for collectables ,a piece could be $7 at one table and $20 at another. As I said ,the place was packed on this which was the 2nd of 3 days ,and some of the vendors were saying they didn't make a lot of money. I have found that those vendors that sell at premium prices ,base them on GoldMine, Record Collector and Discogs price quotes. The records are in M- to VG++ condition but they price them at $25- and up. Crazy "and up". The vintage Jazz albums from the 50's and 60's are a big market. The people from overseas and professionals are a big part of that market ,and those prices reflect that. I usually look for vendors that have large inventory and a fair amount of Jazz/R&B/Funk ,which is a genre that they may not be as informed about as others and I've bought a lot of those $25 mint records for $1- $10 being in the right place at the right time. Today I bought;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Rochelle Fleming Suffer! Cutting Records 12" $1

Gladys and PIPs That Special Time Of Year CBS 1982 $1

"""""""""""""""""" Still Together Buddah 1977 $1

Nightflyte same Ariola 1979 Promo $5

The Soul Children Chronicle Stax 1979 Promo $6

Hubert Laws Family CBS 1980 $5

Mavis Staples Time Wait For No One Paisley Park $5

Faith Hope & Charity Life Goes On RCA 1976 $3

Sade Turn My Back On You Epic 1987 Remix 12' $2

Central Line Walkin Into Sunshine Mercury 1981 Larry Levan 8:10 Remix $5

Sybil Let Yourself Go Next Plateau 1987 $3

Lamont Dozier Black Bach ABC 1974 $5
Out Here On My Own ABC 1973 $5

Chocolate Milk Milky Way RCA 1979 $4

timmyfunk
11-30-2013, 06:15 PM
On the last day of Thanksgiving, my record store sold to me:

Mandrill-Composite Truth
Original copy for $1.99

Small business Saturday yielded a nice surprise.

timmyfunk
12-28-2013, 12:02 PM
A day after Xmas re-up:

Black Gold-Various artists [[Warner Music)
C'est Chic-Chic-an album I always avoided back in the day. Always preferred Real People personally.

timmyfunk
01-30-2014, 03:01 PM
First re-up of 2014:

Rufus [[debut album) 1973
Cameo-Knights Of The Sound Table-LP

timmyfunk
03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
I smell the Funky stench of a re-up coming on strong:

Labelle-Debut album from 1971; promo copy that looks damn near mint.
Labelle-Chameleon 1976; same as above
The Invisible Man's Band-All Night Thing-I have this already, but it was .99. I just couldn't leave it in that store.
John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band-original Apple pressing; damn near mint.
Bootsy's Rubber Band-Player of the Year-This will be a gift for someone really special.
Hugh Masekela-The Promise Of The Future-damn near mint
Mary Hopkin-Post Card-original Apple pressing; damn near mint.

What a difference a day in Red Bank, New Jersey makes!

soulster
03-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Timmy, I like your taste in music, although I prefer "C'ect Chic" over "Real People". But, that track "Open Up", and the guitar solo on the title track! Wow!

timmyfunk
04-01-2014, 05:24 AM
I appreciate your appreciation.

timmyfunk
04-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Pre-Easter re-up goes a little something like this:

Barry White-I've Got So Much To Give
The Headhunters-Straight From The Gate

Record Store Day wasn't a total bust.

timmyfunk
06-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Vinyl Re-Up for the first day of summer has some retread. Explanation follows.

Al Hudson and the Soul Partners-You Can Do It
The Gap Band-Early In The Morning
Foxy-Get Off [[Reissue vinyl)
Cheryl Lynn-Got To Be Real/Star Love
Trussel-Love Injection [[Original 12")
Teena Marie-Lady T [[I might have this already, but it was still in the shrink wrap. I couldn't leave it behind)
Michael Jackson-Billy Jean [[12" Mixed Masters series from the late 1980's)
McFadden & Whitehead/Jones Girls-Ain't No Stopping Us Now/You Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else [[12" Mixed Masters series from the late 1980's)

Never underestimate the Awesome Power of a Fully Operational Flea Market.

arr&bee
06-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Great stuff guys i always enjoy this post.

timmyfunk
06-22-2014, 08:01 PM
I'm glad you appreciate the posts.

daddyacey
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
I've been laid up from a bypass on my left leg for 2 months so I couldn't get around until now. It's street fair season now so...I have a cane / will travel:cool:!!!

Meanwhile I did get these off the net from a MusicObsession.com , sale at 50% off. It averaged out to $3 each including shipping.

BRAND NEW HEAVIES - Never Stop ext.remix/remix dub/instrum./remix single edit/ext./heavy beats mix/o.g.single edit [[12")

GUTHRIE,GWEN - Ticket to Ride [[LP)
409654 M-/VG++ 4th B'way lp vinyl, GUTHRIE, GWEN: Ticket to Ride, 4th B'way 4007/dj stamp on back cover/Õ87 M-/VG++ [[record/cover)... Ticket to Ride remixed by Larry Levan/Peek-A-Boo/Younger Than Me/Oh What a Life remixed by Larry Levan/It Should Have Been You remix by Levan/Family Affair remix by Levan/Seventh Heaven/You're the One.

HIGH INERGY - Groove Patrol [[LP)
369900 M-/VG+ Gordy lp vinyl, HIGH INERGY: lame it On Love feat. Smokey Robinson/Back In My Arms Again/So right/Just a Touch Away feat. Smokey Robinson.

KRYSTOL - I Suggest U Don't Let Go [[LP)
384839 M-/VG++ Epic lp vinyl,

LTD - Back in Love Again 8:37/We Party Hearty 7:59 [[12")

ROGERS,D.J. - The Message is Still the Same [[LP)

WONDER,STEVIE w/MICHAEL JACKSON - Get It 6:47 vocal & instrum. [[12")

SOUL II SOUL - Move Me No Mountain club mix 4:22/ 6:22/dum dum dub [[12")

O'NEAL,ALEXANDER - The Lovers ext.vers. 7:02/acapella 5:16/radio edit 5:16/instrum. 7:02 [[12")

O'NEAL,ALEXANDER - In the Middle no rap mix/brown mix/brown surround mix/beats [[12")
Tabu LIKE NEW U.S. 12" vinyl,

MINT CONDITION - What Kind of Man Would I Be 4 vers./I Want It Again lp & instrum. [[12")
Perspective 12" vinyl, MINT

MINT CONDITION - Someone to Love ext.remix 4:51/ext.remix without vocal sample 3:58/instrum. 4:53/remix radio edit 3: [[12")
Perspective LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl,

LEVERT,GERALD - Private Line extended mix 7:02/instrum. dub 5:02/shelter club remix 9:20/service line dub 5:04 [[12")
Eastwest S/S US 12" vinyl,

JUICY - Nobody But You remix 5:57/Nobody But You dub 6:20/Slow Dancing 4:45 [[12")
CBS Associated M- US 12" vinyl,

HYMAN,PHYLLIS - Aint You Had Enough Love ext. 6:32/instrum. 5:28/percussapella vers. 5:38/short vers. 4:15 [[12")
Philadelphia International LIKE NEW U.S. 12" vinyl,

HEWETT,HOWARD - Stay before midnight mix/after midnight mix/dub/instrum./bonus beats [[12")
Elektra LIKE NEW U.S. 12" vinyl,

GUY - Teddy's Jam ext. 7:50/club 4:36/jazz 4:45 [[12")
Uptown LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl,

GUY - Let's Stay Together ext.club 5:23/radio edit 5:23/instrum. 5:20/bonus beats 5:16/ext.rap 5:20/radio [[12")
Uptown LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl, /white label promo/diecut

GUY - Groove Me ext. 6:59/radio 4:55/dub 6:50/bonus beats 2:05 [[12")
MCA M-/VG++ U.S. 12" vinyl,

JUICY - All Work, No Play all work mix 7:27/all play mix 6:51/going left 5:27 [[12")

FAMILY STAND - Ghetto Heaven - U.S. promo issue - soul II soul

MINT CONDITION - You Don't Have to Hurt No More m.doc's hip hop remix 4:51/m.doc's hip hop remix instrum. 5:13/silk's [[12")
Perspective LIKE NEW US 12"

MARLEY,ZIGGY - Tumblin' Down 12" remix 5:52/7" remix 4:02/dub 4:27 [[12")
12" vinyl, MARLEY, ZIGGY: Tumblin' Down 12" remix 5:52/7" remix 4:02/dub 4:27, Virgin

FUNKADELIC/GARRY SHIDER - Beautiful extended & instrum. [[12")
12" vinyl, FUNKADELIC/GARRY SHIDER: Beautiful extended & instrum., MCA 23872/prod by GEORGE CLINTON/'88... .

KID CREOLE & COCONUTS - Endicott [[extended/Dowopsalsaboprock [[extended)) [[12")
Sire M-/VG+ U.S. 12" vinyl,

ERIC B. & RAKIM - I Know You Got Soul vocal 4:48/acappella 4:42/dub 4:42 [[12")
4th B'way LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl,

FOUR TOPS/LEVI STUBBS & CHORUS - Mean Green Mother From Outerspace with prologue: x-rated vers. 5:37/with prologue: clean vers. 5:37 [[12")
Geffen LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl,

FREEDOM - Dance Sing Along 5:20/Set You Free [[12")
TK Disco LIKE NEW U.S. 12" vinyl,

FUNKADELIC - By Way of the Drum ext.vers. 9:15/acapella 5:50/radio edit 6:00/basstrumental 6:10/dub 6:55/drum bea [[12")
MCA LIKE NEW US 12" vinyl, Number: 4200

timmyfunk
06-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Nice loot.

timmyfunk
07-26-2014, 11:54 PM
My last two vinyl conquests.

destruction
07-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I live vicariously through this thread.....as I suffer towards the end of my self imposed 1 year vinyl blockade.

timmyfunk
07-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Why the blockade, destruction?

timmyfunk
09-03-2014, 11:02 AM
The latest find. One that I had and then lost.

daddyacey
09-13-2014, 06:32 PM
I ran across a "George Clinton Band" lp on Columbia , dated 1969. It sounded like a Pop record [[strange) so I didn't buy it.
But I did pick up ....
Persuaders----- Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me 1974 $5

Odyssey---------- Happy Together 1982 $5 [[With the track "Inside Out" , and Steve Arrington on bass. Stinks just like a Slave joint!!!)

Michael Wycoff-------Come To My World RCA 1980 $5
[[Excellent Lp !!!!!!! This dude is bad. Sounds so much like Donny Hathaway till it's spooky. There are 2 duets on it with Merry Clayton)

timmyfunk
09-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Avoid that George Clinton Band LP at all costs. It was released in 1974 and doesn't feature 'our' GC.

timmyfunk
09-20-2014, 02:26 PM

The latest conquest from a day that didn't go quite as planned.

daddyacey
09-26-2014, 01:48 AM
The first track on that OSIBISA album is a monster!! Love the cover art by Roger Dean [[he did the YES covers too).

timmyfunk
01-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Closing out Jamuary!!!!

destruction
02-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Why the blockade, destruction?

By my estimation I have about a thousand pieces of vinyl that I've never played.

Need to clear some backlog.

Still....sometimes....in my darkest hours....I get weak.

Somebody help me now!!!

timmyfunk
02-11-2015, 01:27 PM

Not expecting much from the Vinyl Re-Up and still experienced some surprises.

timmyfunk
02-11-2015, 01:31 PM

And one very rare piece that was impossible to resist.

mr soul
02-11-2015, 05:08 PM
I found this one in a charity shop yesterday for a £1 and as it's an American pressing it's long way from home.

daddyacey
02-14-2015, 01:37 AM
By my estimation I have about a thousand pieces of vinyl that I've never played.

Need to clear some backlog.

Still....sometimes....in my darkest hours....I get weak.

Somebody help me now!!!

You will be O.K. Just take some time to go thru that 1000 a little at a time. I call it purge sessions. That way you can see what you have so you dont duplicate purchase records and you can also weed out some of those "why did I buy this?" items. Only buy what you really want. Take some time to enjoy what you have. It takes more time to listen to your records than it takes to buy them. You are not alone {LOL}

daddyacey
02-14-2015, 01:42 AM

And one very rare piece that was impossible to resist.

Is that a 12" or the LP?

timmyfunk
02-14-2015, 02:08 AM
Is that a 12" or the LP?

Full LP's of both albums.

daddyacey
02-14-2015, 11:19 PM
That is a rare cover for Chocolate City. Nice.

antceleb12
02-15-2015, 12:29 AM
My latest loot from today:

timmyfunk
03-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Scratch N' Spin and Papa Jazz Records in Columbia, South Carolina just gave a Funk junkie what he craves. Computer Games pressed in Holland and These Are The JB's featuring William Collins, aka Bootzilla! The vinyl re-up is science that reaches into the southeast.

arr&bee
03-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I'm salivating over here[hehe]keep em coming...vinyl forever!!!

timmyfunk
03-10-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm salivating over here[hehe]keep em coming...vinyl forever!!!

We will certainly try.

arr&bee
03-10-2015, 08:11 PM
This is a great great,great thread,love this place...vinyl re-up forever.

timmyfunk
03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Vinyl spins eternal.

timmyfunk
04-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Some Cameo that couldn't be left in the store.

timmyfunk
04-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Three of a kind.

timmyfunk
04-22-2015, 12:44 PM
You know you're a vinyl junkie when the record store i frequent gives me free records. Life can be sweet.

timmyfunk
07-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Due to the recent passing of my mother, I've relocated back to Columbia, SC. And Papa Jazz has once again been my salvation [[along with Manifest and Scratch and Spin).

arr&bee
07-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Sorry for your loss timmy,keep on collecting.

daddyacey
07-02-2015, 09:18 PM
My condolences Timmy. God Bless.

timmyfunk
07-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Thank you.

timmyfunk
07-04-2015, 09:15 AM

Once the turntable gets here, the party will be on.

timmyfunk
07-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Funkadelic on vinyl.

arr&bee
07-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Timmy,you still da man...i found a couple of things the other day..like in love-nancy wilson..soul to soul-the temptations.

timmyfunk
07-14-2015, 05:18 AM
Can you post them here?

timmyfunk
09-18-2015, 11:50 AM
The latest stash from Papa Jazz Record Store in Columbia, SC.

arr&bee
09-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Hey timmy,i found some good stuff at the thrift store for[0.99]...showdown-the isley bros.-visions of a new world-lonnie liston smith..miles-miles jaye..mercy-don covay..hold on i'm comin-sam an dave..children of sanchez-chuck mangione..tailor made-bobbi humphrey..when you hear lou-lou rawls..they'll come a time-betty everett...i was surprised that they had all this good stuff,i'm sorry i can't post this stuff but i don't have the skills to do it right,well back to the collecting...vinyl forever!!

timmyfunk
09-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Man, post it. Need to see the goodies.