PDA

View Full Version : Next Motown Ace release. Calling Mr. Hughes

test

carole cucumber
04-12-2017, 03:40 PM
While looking at the Ace Records Facebook Page, I notice that on March
20th Mick Wilding inquired about the next Motown release from Ace.
A reply was posted that the next one was cleared on March 23, and the artists being anthologized was revealed.
Yes, Mr. Hughes it is quite different from what we've recently been offered.
A release date should be forthcoming, shouldn't it?? Are you allowed to list the song selection yet?

TomatoTom123
04-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Yessss! I am looking forward to this one very much..... ;):p

mysterysinger
04-12-2017, 07:15 PM
An Anthology? ACE!

honest man
04-13-2017, 05:25 AM
While looking at the Ace Records Facebook Page, I notice that on March
20th Mick Wilding inquired about the next Motown release from Ace.
A reply was posted that the next one was cleared on March 23, and the artists being anthologized was revealed.
Yes, Mr. Hughes it is quite different from what we've recently been offered.
A release date should be forthcoming, shouldn't it?? Are you allowed to list the song selection yet? Honestly i really don't know why we never get any hints or a maybe what is forthcoming from Motown Releases ,this is the ideal place for info and get the word out at soul venues etc it P------s Me OFF ,iFEEL like we get treated like kids on here at times,it does not take away from the completed product which are truly appreciated,but why not pass on some of the info ,can't get my head round the silence ,that is putting it politely.

mowsville
04-13-2017, 06:46 AM
i dont get the silence either...anyway its The Undisputed Truth.

theboyfromxtown
04-13-2017, 06:59 AM
If you mention product being worked on and something happens and it's shelved, the collectors make their displeasure known.

If you are the one that has been working on that project, it's already hard to accept that all your hard work has been in vain and the last thing you want is fans slagging you off.

honest man
04-13-2017, 07:24 AM
If you mention product being worked on and something happens and it's shelved, the collectors make their displeasure known.

If you are the one that has been working on that project, it's already hard to accept that all your hard work has been in vain and the last thing you want is fans slagging you off.Not on my behalf mate,as i said it is really appreciated when completed,if it does not happen tough-s---T Happens look at Blinky - ivy joe they got cancelled but it was nice to know there was a chance it may have happened and yes all the labours of the project team work is appreciated all the same, speaking for myself i am adult to know nothing is straightforward by the way John not lecture to you just stating how i feel to the powers that be,Someone mentioned Undisputed truth above yes like them would buy it but not excited same as Syreeta but i bought last one and will keep on buying them. even though i get excited more about some,cheers.

honest man
04-13-2017, 07:25 AM
oh and thank you mowsville for your reply that's all i wanted to hear.,cheers

theboyfromxtown
04-13-2017, 08:51 AM
There have been many later attempts to put out those projects since Real Records announced them but that's all they are at present....attempts. Meanwhile other projects come along and those other projects get put on the back burner.

gordy_hunk
04-13-2017, 10:16 AM
i dont get the silence either...anyway its The Undisputed Truth.

I haven't seen this being mentioned elsewhere, so if it's true - that will be splendid news [[assuming it's not the 'Face to Face with the Truth', but more 'Anthology').

paul_nixon
04-14-2017, 02:19 AM
There have been many later attempts to put out those projects since Real Records announced them but that's all they are at present....attempts. Meanwhile other projects come along and those other projects get put on the back burner.

Well explained and right on the button as usual xtown life is never as straightforward as it seems

keith_hughes
04-14-2017, 03:35 AM
Thanks John and Paul for understanding the situation. You've worked on projects, you know what it's like.

We [[Ace, that is) have ideas for projects, and put them up for clearance. Sometimes they're approved in total, sometimes partially and we wait for more news, sometimes they're denied and sometimes we hear nothing at all. Sometimes they're denied, then we try again six months later and they're approved. The reasons for denial vary, and sometimes we're not given any. We usually have at least two "in the works".

The VA and the Undisputed Truth projects [[and one other) are partly approved, but I think it safe to say the UT project has now passed the "tipping point". It will very likely happen, though please note "very likely" isn't the same as "definitely". Don't know when, don't know what the track list will be. I'm as eager to write the announcement as you are to read it, believe me.

mysterysinger
04-14-2017, 06:39 AM
UT seems to be something different from ACE. I would certainly welcome a CD release of their first album [[Elemental might be one route) but I can't imagine we'd get that from ACE without yet another set of tracks from "Face to Face". Would make a logical 2fer though, but even better a collection containing [[at least) their first 3 / 4 Motown albums plus unreleased stuff. I am being unrealistic of course, but ACE can count on my support for any Motown product.

TomatoTom123
04-14-2017, 03:52 PM
I am so excited and thrilled at this upcoming release! I cannot believe that ACE [[Kent), who usually focus on '60s Soul, have decided to do a release on a '70s Funk group. It's so great!

And, as such, I really don't mind having to wait or not being told. At the end of the day ACE is doing a great thing and we should leave it up to them to get it done! I don't know what or how these things get done but I'm sure it requires a lot of time and effort, and we should be grateful for it all!!! Thanks ACE people ;)

TomatoTom123
04-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks John and Paul for understanding the situation. You've worked on projects, you know what it's like.

We [[Ace, that is) have ideas for projects, and put them up for clearance. Sometimes they're approved in total, sometimes partially and we wait for more news, sometimes they're denied and sometimes we hear nothing at all. Sometimes they're denied, then we try again six months later and they're approved. The reasons for denial vary, and sometimes we're not given any. We usually have at least two "in the works".

The VA and the Undisputed Truth projects [[and one other) are partly approved, but I think it safe to say the UT project has now passed the "tipping point". It will very likely happen, though please note "very likely" isn't the same as "definitely". Don't know when, don't know what the track list will be. I'm as eager to write the announcement as you are to read it, believe me.

Hi Keith, thank you for explaining! I get it, and I don't mind waiting. You can take as long as you like announcing it, it is [[or will be) such a great announcement!!

Also, I'm having a mind-blank moment, and cannot work out what "VA" means...? :)

theboyfromxtown
04-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Various..........artists.......

motownjohnny
04-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Hi Keith, thank you for explaining! I get it, and I don't mind waiting. You can take as long as you like announcing it, it is [[or will be) such a great announcement!!

Also, I'm having a mind-blank moment, and cannot work out what "VA" means...? :)

VA - try "Various Artists", as in the two earlier sets of CD's from ACE / KENT entitled "Motown Girls" and "Motown Guys".

TomatoTom123
04-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys...... :p

dickiemint
04-16-2017, 12:16 PM
The Syreeta CD has been my favourite Ace Release so far really love that we still are discovering 'new' Motown music 40yrs or so after recording thanks to Keith Hughes and his ACE team I hope that we all support these and other Motown related releases

TomatoTom123
07-06-2017, 08:12 PM
I know I'm probably being impatient, but I have to ask... are there any updates on this? I can't wait :D

danman869
07-07-2017, 12:54 AM
I know I'm probably being impatient, but I have to ask... are there any updates on this? I can't wait :D

I guess the Undisputed Truth CD is coming August 25, 2017 [[UK release date). https://www.acerecords.co.uk/nothing-but-the-truth-3-albums-on-2-cds-plus-bonus-tracks

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 03:18 AM
I guess the Undisputed Truth CD is coming August 25, 2017 [[UK release date). https://www.acerecords.co.uk/nothing-but-the-truth-3-albums-on-2-cds-plus-bonus-tracks

OH, WOW, thank you danman!!!! THAT's FANTASTIC!

25th of August, eh? Hmm... just a month and a half... :)

PeaceNHarmony
07-07-2017, 05:57 AM
OH, WOW, thank you danman!!!! THAT's FANTASTIC!

25th of August, eh? Hmm... just a month and a half... :)
Hey Tom - MORE Undisputed Truth! How cool is that?!

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 06:44 AM
Hey Tom - MORE Undisputed Truth! How cool is that?!

Hey, PNH, IT IS ENDLESSLY COOL!!!!! :D

I can't wait... it's three whole albums on CD as well... just fantastic!!!!!!!!!

mysterysinger
07-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Wonderful news indeed.

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Wonderful news indeed.

Yes indeedy mysterysinger!

What a great cover and name too!!

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 09:15 AM
https://www.acerecords.co.uk/nothing-but-the-truth-3-albums-on-2-cds-plus-bonus-tracks

Does anyone know, if I preorder the CD now [[heehee) will it actually arrive on the 25th of August? Or is it dispatched from that date? It's just that I'm on holiday on the 25th so might miss it!!! And then I would probably implode in on myself... LOL

blkfrost
07-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I am really excited by this release. Two of my favorite albums are included "Law of the Land" and "Down to Earth". Would love to see "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High" release as well.

booty
07-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Does anyone know, if I preorder the CD now [[heehee) will it actually arrive on the 25th of August? Or is it dispatched from that date? It's just that I'm on holiday on the 25th so might miss it!!! And then I would probably implode in on myself... LOL

Mine normally arrive from Ace at the beginning of the week of release

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Mine normally arrive from Ace at the beginning of the week of release

Ah I see, thanks booty... the 25th is a Friday so the CD might come the following Monday... that's the 28th of August... by which time I will be home and eagerly [[very eagerly) awaiting its arrival... yes indeed :)

PeaceNHarmony
07-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Ah I see, thanks booty... the 25th is a Friday so the CD might come the following Monday... that's the 28th of August... by which time I will be home and eagerly [[very eagerly awaiting its arrival... yes indeed :)... not that you're counting the days ... [[LOL! Me too!)

TomatoTom123
07-07-2017, 07:49 PM
... not that you're counting the days ... [[LOL! Me too!)

LOLOLOL... PNH, I'm counting the minutes... lololol

dickiemint
07-07-2017, 08:25 PM
Many thanks Mr Hughes and the Ace team hope everyone gets behind this release

keith_hughes
07-08-2017, 02:56 AM
Our pleasure, dickiemint. Requests on this forum played a significant part in getting this set out to you.

TomatoTom123
07-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Oops, I keep making ridiculously excited posts I forgot to say thank you... thanks Keith and ACE for all you do and have done for this release! It is wonderful. :)

biggestfourtops fan
07-08-2017, 05:50 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on it. Every time a release happens, I already get ahead of myself and wonder what the next release will be. Blinky or Ivy perhaps?

jboy88
07-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Wise choice to only feature the albums that aren't available already digitally. Which I assume is the reason "Face to Face..." is omitted. The presence of "We've Got a Way Out Love" is enough to guarantee a purchase from me. No disrespect to the Originals, but UT's version is more polished and better arranged. Yet, isn't as readily available.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-09-2017, 06:21 AM
At long last! My Motown prayers are being answered! Not 1, not 2, but "3" Undisputed Truth albums on CD -- and all in one fell swoop to boot! Feels like Christmas!

theboyfromxtown
07-09-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm really looking forward to this release.

Bring it on.

kenneth
07-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Fantastic news! I love the Truth. Their CD releases have been few and far between but worth the wait. Lots of undiscovered gems on these albums.

Ace continues to be the leader when it comes to the highest quality releases of Motown and other soul material. Their King/Federal issues are also fantastic. So much great material, most of it never even on CD before. And I think their transfers and sound quality is unsurpassed. So glad we have them.

gordy_hunk
07-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Our pleasure, dickiemint. Requests on this forum played a significant part in getting this set out to you.

When I saw the first few comments about this set, I was really excited, although thought, it may be one of those 'wishful' projects, so calm down.

But then, I saw Keith Hughes response - and I know it's happening. It looks amazing - and the Undisputed Truth's first LP is being issued on CD - I'm in ecstacy just waiting now for this to be released.

Well done Keith - I think I need to nominate you for an MBE for services to music!

keith_hughes
07-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Good of you, gordyhunk, but I only played a small part in this one, just the track annotations: Tony Rounce was the mastermind here. And thanks are also due to a couple of SDF-ers, who will find their names in the booklet ...

Whichever of the two Ace/Motown projects rushing [[at a rate of about one track per month) towards clearance comes next, it will be one of "mine", and your nomination will be appropriate and welcome.

McMotown
07-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Fantastic news!

Ace continues to be the leader when it comes to the highest quality releases of Motown and other soul material. Their King/Federal issues are also fantastic. So much great material, most of it never even on CD before. And I think their transfers and sound quality is unsurpassed. So glad we have them.

Second that and yes nominate the whole team for MBE.
Keith I know things must be under wraps, but are you able to give any other hints that maybe in the pipeline? All the very best to you and your colleagues - McMotown

TomatoTom123
07-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Very irrelevant but I have to ask... I accidentally bought something from ACE thinking it was a CD... turns out it's just a digital download... am I able to return it? Anyone know? I really want to so I can get the actual CD with the tracks on them.

keith_hughes
07-11-2017, 06:48 PM
TT:

From the Ace website:

"You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods [[whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: returns@acerecords.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number."

Or you could ring them on +44 [[0) 208 453 1311.

TomatoTom123
07-11-2017, 06:58 PM
TT:

From the Ace website:

"You have the right to cancel your order within seven days of purchase, or seven days of receipt of the goods [[whichever is the longer). If you choose to cancel your order, full payment will be returned to you. Returned items should be sent to: “Returns” c/o Bus Stop Mail Order Ltd, 42-50 Steele Road, London, NW10 7AS. Music downloads should be returned to us via the email address: returns@acerecords.com including a copy of your notice of cancellation and order number."

Or you could ring them on +44 [[0) 208 453 1311.

Hi Keith, thanks for that. Unfortunately I did try emailing that address for returns and haven't had a reply. I tried contacting the ACE team as well today so hopefully they get back to me. I can't believe I was so stoopid and missed that it wasn't a physical CD.

I think I bought the tracks on Saturday so if it gets to Friday and I haven't gotten anywhere I guess I'll have to try ringing!!

Sorry for derailing this thread with my stupidity by the way, LOL :)

TomatoTom123
07-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Well, I have to say, I'm a bit miffed and confused... I emailed ACE three times and have had no replies, and when I rang that phone number it just rung endlessly...?

keith_hughes
07-16-2017, 04:08 AM
TT, send me an email at Keith@dftmc.info with your shipping address and the CD you want. I will try to get this sorted for you.

alexstassi
07-16-2017, 06:14 AM
Holy Cow!!!! Christmas came early. I've pre-ordered that Undisputed Truth CD. Any chance of Higher than high and Cosmic Truth getting a digital release?

TomatoTom123
07-16-2017, 06:56 AM
TT, send me an email at Keith@dftmc.info with your shipping address and the CD you want. I will try to get this sorted for you.

Thanks Keith :)

TomatoTom123
07-16-2017, 06:57 AM
Holy Cow!!!! Christmas came early. I've pre-ordered that Undisputed Truth CD. Any chance of Higher than high and Cosmic Truth getting a digital release?

Holy Cow indeed alex!!!!! Such fantastic news!

And, yea, I hope they get a release soon too :)

TomatoTom123
07-16-2017, 07:04 AM
At long last! My Motown prayers are being answered! Not 1, not 2, but "3" Undisputed Truth albums on CD -- and all in one fell swoop to boot! Feels like Christmas!

Yes it does, Gary!!!

Remember all those years ago when you wished for these albums on CD...

I've noticed that the various Motown fans' CD/Download want lists are kind of scattered throughout a number of links on the Motown Forum. It might be easier for Harry if we put our Motown Want Lists all under one thread. If you agree, just reply to this thread and add your personal list of wants along with mine:

THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH
The Undisputed Truth
Law Of The Land
Down To Earth

It's finally come true! :D

longtimefan
07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Good of you, gordyhunk, but I only played a small part in this one, just the track annotations: Tony Rounce was the mastermind here. And thanks are also due to a couple of SDF-ers, who will find their names in the booklet ...

Whichever of the two Ace/Motown projects rushing [[at a rate of about one track per month) towards clearance comes next, it will be one of "mine", and your nomination will be appropriate and welcome.

I am not understandings the "one track a month" concept. Are you saying that the clearances and mixing of a track take about a month meaning that a 24 track set will not come out for two years? Just wondering... Thanks!

keith_hughes
07-17-2017, 03:24 AM
I'm just saying [[facetiously) that it seems to be taking a long time to get previously unissued tracks licensed for release at the moment. So it's hard to predict release dates for our CDs.

Philles/Motown Gary
07-17-2017, 03:56 AM
Yes it does, Gary!!!

Remember all those years ago when you wished for these albums on CD...

It's finally come true! :D
Hey, Tom! Boy, you sure do have a good memory! HaHa!

dickiemint
07-17-2017, 10:58 AM
This Undisputed Truth CD is up for pre order on Amazon UK for £18.84

TomatoTom123
07-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Hey, Tom! Boy, you sure do have a good memory! HaHa!

Hey Gary, I don't believe I was even a member of Soulful Detroit when you started that thread... I do however remember going through past threads, reading yours and thinking what a great thread it was, and it stuck in my mind!

I can't believe your request has come true, it's so wonderful! :D

Philles/Motown Gary
07-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Well, thank you very much, Tom. Boy, that's quite a compliment! It really is great news that we're finally getting the Undisputed Truth albums on CD. When it comes to Motown, it may take a while, but, sooner or later, they ALWAYS come through for us one way or another. [[Keeping the faith for "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High" on CD, too!)

PeaceNHarmony
07-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Well, thank you very much, Tom. Boy, that's quite a compliment! It really is great news that we're finally getting the Undisputed Truth albums on CD. When it comes to Motown, it may take a while, but, sooner or later, they ALWAYS come through for us one way or another. [[Keeping the faith for "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High" on CD, too!)
REALLY looking forward to this set! Any chance of the first Love Unlimited lp 'From A Girl's Point Of View' on cd?

Philles/Motown Gary
07-19-2017, 03:06 PM
REALLY looking forward to this set! Any chance of the first Love Unlimited lp 'From A Girl's Point Of View' on cd?
PeaceNHarmony, Love Unlimited's "From A Girl's Point Of View" already DID come out on CD back in 1994. Amazon has 3 copies available through 3rd-party dealers, but, as usual, the price gougers are out in full force expecting $40+ for a used copy. I checked out eBay for you, and their dealers are just as bad or worse.

I tried to copy the Amazon link for you, but my PC isn't working right. Just go into Amazon's search engine and type in:

love unlimited from a girl's point of view cd

....and it will take you right to it. - Gary

TomatoTom123
07-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Hey, you're welcome, Gary!

And, yes, you're right, it's such wonderful news. It can only be a matter of time before Cosmic Truth and Higher Than High get CD releases too! :D

jack020
07-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Hey Philles/Motown Gary,
a few months ago I found a very good second hand copy of Love Unlimited's "From A Girl's Point Of View here in Amsterdam for 5 $.
The shop owner apparently did not bother to check its value!:)
[[https://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?7413-Philles-Motown-Gary)

Philles/Motown Gary
07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Hey, Jack! It's been a while!

You sure got yourself a good deal with that $5 copy of Love Unlimited. That careless dealer's loss was your gain!

[[Just wondering here, was there any special reason why you included the link to my personal profile? Senior moment maybe? HaHa!)

TomatoTom123
07-20-2017, 10:51 AM
LOLOL, I wondered that too, Gary :p

mysterysinger
07-20-2017, 07:23 PM

What has the Love Unlimited album to do with Motown - is there a Robert Staunton connection?