PDA

View Full Version : Saundra Mallet/Edwards and the Vandellas

test

lakeside
04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/saundra_mallett_and_the_vandellas

Was Saundra Edwards the lead singer of the Vandella's at one time? I knew she was in the Elgins.....but Vandella's?

captainjames
04-10-2017, 09:16 AM
For a very short time if memory serves me correctly. I believe she was a Vandella before becoming an Elgin.

reese
04-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Saundra wasn't a Vandella. Annette and Rosalind just backed her up on a single and received label credit, just like they did when they backed up Marvin Gaye.

lakeside
04-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Saundra wasn't a Vandella. Annette and Rosalind just backed her up on a single and received label credit, just like they did when they backed up Marvin Gaye.
Thank you Reese, I wondered about that. Glad to see they got credit.

BigAl
04-10-2017, 02:22 PM
When I checked it out on YouTube, I saw that someone had commented that it sounds more like Martha than Saundra, and it really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUH6pIwf6E

robb_k
04-10-2017, 02:57 PM

She really DOES sound a lot like Martha. I don't remember her sounding so much like her when playing my 45. Could it be that THIS recording ISN'T from the 45, but is from a demo sung by Martha??? I can't play my 45 now, as I am not with my Motown 45s now.

reese
04-10-2017, 04:21 PM
I thought it sounded quite a bit like Martha as well.

Interestingly enough, in an interview with IN THE BASEMENT, I think Martha says she isn't even on this recording and she seemed a bit peeved that Annette and Rosalind did it without her.

johnny_raven
04-10-2017, 04:26 PM
When I checked it out on YouTube, I saw that someone had commented that it sounds more like Martha than Saundra, and it really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUH6pIwf6E

This sounds sped up from the single version. That might explain why it sounds like Martha.

marv2
04-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Gloria William was the lead sing of the Vandallas back before they changed their name from The Del-Phis.

RanRan79
04-10-2017, 06:39 PM
It does sound a lot like Martha but I can tell that it isn't. I wonder why the Vandellas were given these background credits at Motown but most other background vocal groups at the label weren't.

theboyfromxtown
04-10-2017, 08:25 PM
I thought it sounded quite a bit like Martha as well.

Interestingly enough, in an interview with IN THE BASEMENT, I think Martha says she isn't even on this recording and she seemed a bit peeved that Annette and Rosalind did it without her.

That is EXACTLY what Annette and Rosalind told me when they autographed the copy I won in the auction at the Embassy Fair in 1990. I recall that you also went to that fair. Martha was not happy.

reese
04-10-2017, 10:17 PM
That is EXACTLY what Annette and Rosalind told me when they autographed the copy I won in the auction at the Embassy Fair in 1990. I recall that you also went to that fair. Martha was not happy.

That was a great weekend. Can't believe it has been almost 27 years ago.

robb_k
04-10-2017, 11:02 PM
It does sound a lot like Martha but I can tell that it isn't. I wonder why the Vandellas were given these background credits at Motown but most other background vocal groups at the label weren't.
The Temptations, Four Tops, Andantes [[also as Beljeans and Paulettes), Love-Tones and RayBer Voices also received background credits. The Spinners and Originals didn't.

RanRan79
04-11-2017, 01:39 AM
The Temptations, Four Tops, Andantes [[also as Beljeans and Paulettes), Love-Tones and RayBer Voices also received background credits. The Spinners and Originals didn't.

Thanks for the info Robb. What were the Tempts and Tops credited on?

robb_k
04-11-2017, 02:02 AM
The Temptations were credited backing up Liz Lands on "Keep Me", and also Marvin Gaye and Little Stevie Wonder I can't remember the songs. The Four Tops sang background on "Come On Home" by Holland-Dozier, and also another late 1963 release.

theboyfromxtown
04-11-2017, 04:19 AM
That was a great weekend. Can't believe it has been almost 27 years ago.

I only believe it when I get a letter in the post telling I will get my pension soon! lol

lockhartgary
04-11-2017, 11:22 PM
The Temptations sang background on "Try it Baby" by Marvin Gaye.

144man
04-14-2017, 01:53 PM
I can't hear any difference between the Saundra Mallet version and the LaBrenda Ben & the Beljeans one. Are my ears letting me down?

theboyfromxtown
04-14-2017, 05:01 PM
There are distinct DM's for each artist [[2 in fact). Interestingly, the DM is not mentioned on Saundra's 45

144man
04-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Can you point me to the times of any differences on the two recordings, or to where Saundra and LaBrenda's voices sound different from each other.

westgrandboulevard
04-15-2017, 07:31 AM
144man....

I'd describe Saundra's as the sharper pitched voice of the two leads.

LaBrenda's is a lower toned voice [[I can hear Martha in her voice, but without that distinctive top 'rrrring' and vibrato Martha has in her vowel sound).....

For a difference, try LaBrenda's "hhhhhug me tight, and kiss me right" at .50 seconds, then listen to Saundra, who sings it much crisper.....:)

144man
04-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Thanks, westgrand.

I'll try that.

144man
04-20-2017, 06:39 PM
144man....

I'd describe Saundra's as the sharper pitched voice of the two leads.

LaBrenda's is a lower toned voice [[I can hear Martha in her voice, but without that distinctive top 'rrrring' and vibrato Martha has in her vowel sound).....

For a difference, try LaBrenda's "hhhhhug me tight, and kiss me right" at .50 seconds, then listen to Saundra, who sings it much crisper.....:)

You're right. I just played them back-to-back and LaBrenda Ben's voice is definitely a bit deeper than Saundra's. However they sound so alike that I'm still not sure, if either one was played to me at random, whether I'd be able to correctly identify which one I was listening to.

westgrandboulevard
04-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Assuming you have the discs at home [[your earlier post on the 'What song...' thread suggests you might.....), then you could consider asking someone in. Hand them the discs, so they could note their own sequence for play [[say two or three times each, in random order), and see how well you do with identifying the singer? Could be interesting.....

To be fair, I'd generally recognise Saundra's voice anywhere, simply because it is familiar.

However, if I hadn't already known the other version of 'Camel Walk' was La Brenda's voice, I would have struggled to identify her, and so have to just say 'it's not Saundra'.....

144man
04-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Interesting! I don't think Saundra's voice on "Camel Walk" sounds anything like it does on ANY of her other early solo recordings or tracks by the Elgins. If I didn't know otherwise, I would have said that "Camel Walk" and "It's Gonna Be Hard Times" were by two different artists.

lakeside
04-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Can anyone out there give me a little background information on LaBrenda Ben and also,
who were the Beljeans?

144man
04-20-2017, 08:09 PM
There's some info on LaBrenda Ben and the Beljeans in the review of and comments on her version of "Camel Walk" on the Motown Junkies site.

http://motownjunkies.co.uk/index