PDA

View Full Version : Patti does jazz on new cd may 15,2017

test

jack020
04-10-2017, 02:05 AM
New Patti Labelle album out on may,5 2017.
Iconic singer Patti LaBelle will release the new album, Bel Hommage, on May 5, 2017. The project, her first in almost a decade, features a collection of jazz standard records. ‘Bel Hommage’ follows Patti’s 2008 Labelle reunion project, Back to Now. The physical CD is available for pre-order [[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC9ZTDS) now and the digital album will be available for pre-order on March 24th.
With more than 50 years in show business, LaBelle has recorded and performed music across multiple genres including R&B, disco, pop, and gospel. However, Bel Hommage marks her first foray into jazz. She grew up listening to many of the songs that she recorded for the project and has always admired artists such as Dinah Washington, James Moody, Nina Simone, Nancy Wilson and Frank Sinatra, who’ve made these standards famous.
“I’ve been saying for years that I was going to record a jazz album, but I hadn’t taken that leap of faith to try something different,” says LaBelle. “Now I’m so happy that I did because I really love all of these songs and I pray that everyone else will too!”
In addition to ‘Bel Hommage,’ LaBelle is releasing her sixth book and fourth cookbook, Desserts LaBelle, on April 25th and has a line of successful food products, Patti’s Good Life, which is carried at Walmart stores. She also stars on the hit Cooking Channel show, Patti LaBelle’s Place.
‘Bel Hommage’ Track Listing:
1. The Jazz In You
2. Wild Is The Wind
3. Moanin’
4. Till I Get It Right
5. Moody’s Mood For Love [[featuring KEM)
6. Softly As I Leave You
7. Peel Me A Grape
8. Don’t Explain
9. I Can Cook Too
10. Folks On The Hill
11. Go To Hell
12. Song For Old Lovers
13. Here’s To Life

Read more: http://singersroom.com/content/2017-03-15/patti-labelle-announces-new-album-bel-hommage/#ixzz4dp9347PC

PeaceNHarmony
04-10-2017, 11:36 AM
The lead song 'The Jazz In You' is a killer; Patti really swings it.

marv2
04-13-2017, 08:52 PM
It will be interesting to hear Patti's take on "Here's to Life".

nysister
04-22-2017, 09:55 AM
It will be interesting to hear Patti's take on "Here's to Life".

In my humble opinion, Shirley Horn's take is the definitive version.

splanky
04-22-2017, 11:16 AM
In my humble opinion, Shirley Horn's take is the definitive version.

I completely agree with that. She sang it as well as she lived it right up to the end. Like most
true singers of the genre do. It's become common for more than a couple of aging R&B/pop
"divas" to offer an impression of themselves as jazz women but real ones, the Shirley Horns,
Betty Carters, Abbey Lincolns, didn't pop out late in the game like "OH! And I can do this!..."
I love Patti, don't get me wrong, but ....JMO......

Guy
04-22-2017, 02:19 PM
I loved Eartha Kitt's live version of "Here's To Life." In live performance, it was briskly paced and she practically roared it -- completely spellbinding and took my breath away. Otherwise I find the song very maudlin.

Guy
04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I completely agree with that. She sang it as well as she lived it right up to the end. Like most
true singers of the genre do. It's become common for more than a couple of aging R&B/pop
"divas" to offer an impression of themselves as jazz women but real ones, the Shirley Horns,
Betty Carters, Abbey Lincolns, didn't pop out late in the game like "OH! And I can do this!..."
I love Patti, don't get me wrong, but ....JMO......

In fairness to the aging R&B/pop divas, I am sure they are coaxed into standards projects. That is really the only commercially viable recording avenue for them now -- record companies want the sales and acclaim like Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable." Also, these female artists are living well and recording longer than at anytime in history. I can remember when Lena Horne came back with "The Lady and Her Music" in the 80s at age 64 and she was considered an astonishingly well-preserved old lady. At that time, she was the only star of her vintage still going.

Today, Chaka Khan is 64 and she looks and sounds better than ever. Patti is 72. Ross is 73. They're all still doing it. So if we have to suffer an album of "jazz standards" to get them on TV or out on the road, I can live with that.

sansradio
04-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Patti promotes her forthcoming album and cookbook here [[NYC signing on Tuesday):

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/patti-labelle-dishes-sweet-potato-pie-success-new-jazz-album-article-1.3079347

splanky
04-23-2017, 05:42 AM
In fairness to the aging R&B/pop divas, I am sure they are coaxed into standards projects. That is really the only commercially viable recording avenue for them now -- record companies want the sales and acclaim like Natalie Cole's "Unforgettable." Also, these female artists are living well and recording longer than at anytime in history. I can remember when Lena Horne came back with "The Lady and Her Music" in the 80s at age 64 and she was considered an astonishingly well-preserved old lady. At that time, she was the only star of her vintage still going.

Today, Chaka Khan is 64 and she looks and sounds better than ever. Patti is 72. Ross is 73. They're all still doing it. So if we have to suffer an album of "jazz standards" to get them on TV or out on the road, I can live with that.

I completely understand your tastes though I don't share that perspective. I do wonder how
the artist you named would feel if told that fans "suffered" through listening to their jazz
outings...Hmm.... As for coaxing, I don't know about the others but I remember when Nona
Hendrix was asked to participate in a Teri Lynne Carrington project she hesitated because
as she told Teri, her friend, "I am not a jazz singer". Still, she complied and it came off fine
because Teri knew how to put her in a space where she was "comfortable". Chaka Khan,
who was a friend of Miles Davis, had promised to do a jazz album for YEARS, though she
insists she loves the music, still has yet to produce one. And it's not all about standards.
The sensibilities of jazz and pop singing [[and playing) are two totally different things, the
way of hearing and interpreting intervals irregardless of the instrument.It's a lesson a lot
of wannabees have had to learn...Personally, I'm not really interested in seeing 72 year
old women trying to recreate 16....To each it's reach...

sansradio
04-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Interesting points raised all around here. However, Guy, let's not forget that Ella and Sassy Vaughan were contemporaries of Lena's who were very much still active at the time of Horne's renaissance [[although arguably not as ubiquitously as Lena).

Also, to Splanky, Chaka did a straight-ahead jazz album with Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Lenny White and others circa 1982 [[ECHOES OF AN ERA).

splanky
04-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Also, to Splanky, Chaka did a straight-ahead jazz album with Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Lenny White and others circa 1982 [[ECHOES OF AN ERA).

I guess because of the way it was issued at the time that release totally got by myself
and I'm sure quite a number of others. In 1982 I was living in Lexington, SC. They didn't
do jazz there. Even in the capitol city of Columbia though there were fans, no clubs, no
radio. It a weird feeling to have to download an album online you would have killed to hear
35 years prior...LOL!...Thanks, sans

sansradio
04-23-2017, 05:59 PM
No problem, splank! I was in Savannah [[my hometown) at the time as well...I know from which you speak, believe me!

abfan
04-23-2017, 10:58 PM
Patti can do no wrong..At her age and time. .She still can hang w the youngings..I just saw her Live a month ago..She's still got it..Hell my DIva..Anita at 59..Retired

Guy
04-23-2017, 11:33 PM
Chaka Khan [[twice) released an album of standards titled "ClassiKhan" and she recorded a 'jazz' concert for BET that was later released on CD. As mentioned, she did "Echoes of An Era" and was nominated for a Jazz vocal Grammy for it. She has indulged her passion for jazz in a manner that is more than sufficient for most of her fans.

Sansradio, you are right about Ella and Sarah. However, I don't remember them receiving as much mainstream attention during the early 80s as Lena.

sansradio
04-24-2017, 10:05 AM
Chaka Khan [[twice) released an album of standards titled "ClassiKhan" and she recorded a 'jazz' concert for BET that was later released on CD. As mentioned, she did "Echoes of An Era" and was nominated for a Jazz vocal Grammy for it. She has indulged her passion for jazz in a manner that is more than sufficient for most of her fans.

Sansradio, you are right about Ella and Sarah. However, I don't remember them receiving as much mainstream attention during the early 80s as Lena.

I had no idea that Chaka's "BET on Jazz" showcase was released on CD. I have the DVD and I adore it. Particularly gratifying to me is her rendition of Joni Mitchell's "Man from Mars"; I'm a completist for both ladies.
Tell me, is the CD an official release?

carlo
05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
So disappointed with this CD. Patti is capable of so much more. I blame the producer...her ex husband. Her voice is over autotuned on this album, it's especially noticeable on Wild Is the Wind. There's not a lot of feeling in this jazz album. I think it was during Moody's Mood where she sounds like she's reading the lyrics off the sheet. She still has a great voice, but it goes to show that the producer and song selection makes a huge difference.

PeaceNHarmony
05-06-2017, 07:32 AM
Interesting, Carlo. I'll stream it later today and see what I think. I did like the big-bang title cut -

luke
05-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Patti singing on the View May11

reese
05-06-2017, 07:06 PM
I just finished listening to Patti's new cd and I think it is pretty good. Patti's vocals are still strong and the arrangements are nice. For sure, this cd won't be in my regular rotation because it is not really the type of material that I want to hear Patti sing, but there are probably five or six songs that I really like. I hope it does well for her so that there is not another 10-year gap between releases.