PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross/LET'S GO UP - LIVE! - The Tonight Show [[1983)

test

Methuselah2
04-08-2017, 10:24 PM
I thought this must have been posted awhile back but I couldn't find it. So here it is just in case it wasn't. The Central Park concert is very briefly touched on, too.

https://youtu.be/Iw2Y8nZVCCY

Many thanks to Ilona D for posting on YouTube.

mpn1jco
04-09-2017, 03:06 AM
Without Berry Gordy she had enough rope to hang herself. Her days as a top recording artist were clearly numbered. How do you tell someone who has had eighteen number one records that she needs to take vocal lessons? awful. I will pretend I never saw this.

jack020
04-09-2017, 06:06 AM
I will pretend I never read your hateful comment:rolleyes:

RanRan79
04-09-2017, 04:59 PM
This vid resurfaces every now and then. I love her performance. She sounds fantastic. But those 1980s shoulder pads needed to go. "Let's Go Up" was one of the highlights of the RCA tears...I mean years, IMO.

PeaceNHarmony
04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I will pretend I never read your hateful comment:rolleyes:

I as well. Why whoever 'moderates' this forum allows these pathetic individuals I'll never know.

Methuselah2
04-09-2017, 11:17 PM
The openness of this Forum--the ability to express negative and positive opinions--ultimately serves us all, and I certainly wouldn't want that to change. So far as this particular thread is concerned, the opinions seem--at least to me--civil, straightforward, and fair except for one taking a nasty personal potshot at members with the word 'pathetic'. I may not agree with all of the opinions but I do agree that they mostly deserve a chance to be aired here.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Wow! What a great performance! Diana bursts with energy and presence like no one else. I love how Johnny was inspired to yell an enthusiastic "Yeah!" immediately after Diana's last note! Thanks for sharing, Meth2.

jack020
04-10-2017, 06:15 AM
The A-side of the album Ross is one of my favorite group of songs from the RCA era.

reese
04-10-2017, 09:28 AM
I really liked this performance. I remember staying up late to watch it and being really impressed because I was going to see her in concert the following weekend.

PeaceNHarmony
04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
It is a great performance; the voice, the song, the body movements all superb. The audience reacts with appropriate enthusiasm!

endlesslove
04-10-2017, 03:31 PM
I as well. Why whoever 'moderates' this forum allows these pathetic individuals I'll never know.

He had an opinion and he stated. You however decided that if someone doesn't like a performance "they are a pathetic individual". You are exactly what is wrong with this forum with your name calling and if I were the moderator I would ban you permanently.

RanRan79
04-10-2017, 06:43 PM
The A-side of the album Ross is one of my favorite group of songs from the RCA era.

I think I prefer side B, song for song, on that album. If I had to choose a favorite side of them all it would probably be Side A on Silk Electric. I can listen to every song all the way through.

Methuselah2
04-10-2017, 11:32 PM
I think Diana looks terrific here and I very much like what she's wearing. True, the heavily padded shoulders aren't doing her any favors but, hey, this is from over 30 years ago and is very much of its time. [[Looks like it could be from the same designer who did the ice blue gown she wore in CHAIN REACTION.) I think her vocal performance is first-rate--a very strong combination of strength and beauty. And then, of course, there's Diana herself--mesmerizing. The ever-present feast for ears and eyes.

RanRan79
04-11-2017, 01:36 AM
I think Diana looks terrific here and I very much like what she's wearing. True, the heavily padded shoulders aren't doing her any favors but, hey, this is from over 30 years ago and is very much of its time. [[Looks like it could be from the same designer who did the ice blue gown she wore in CHAIN REACTION.) I think her vocal performance is first-rate--a very strong combination of strength and beauty. And then, of course, there's Diana herself--mesmerizing. The ever-present feast for ears and eyes.

Oh yeah, my crack about the shoulder pads was not a criticism of Ross but of the overall decision of women during that time to do that. I laugh at some of my mother's 80s photos when she was dressed up and out on the town. I don't know why women thought those shoulder pads was where it's at. Lol But Diana's vocal performance is definitely first rate during this performance. Vocally she was her most fantastic IMO from about the mid 70s through the mid 90s. How sad most of that time was also her least fantastic music making.