PDA

View Full Version : Girl Group Fans -- Fasten Your Seatbelts for "HONEYBEAT: GROOVY '60s GIRL POP"

test

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 09:19 PM
On Friday, April 21, Real Gone Music will be releasing an amazing collection of Girl Group recordings from the Sony Archives labels including Columbia, Date, RCA Victor, Epic, Bell, OKey, Sound Stage 7, Groove, and Amy labels.

The track list is as follows:
1. I'm Gonna Destroy That Boy - The What Four
2. You're My Loving Baby - The Sweet Things
3. Don't Monkey with Me - The Lollipops
4. Sweet Hunk of Misery - Linda Carr
5. If You Can't Say Anything Nice - Gia Mateo
6. Baby You're Mine - Sandi Sheldon
7. I Can't Stay Mad at You - You Skeeter Davis
8. I Don't Want No Mama's Boy - Erma Franklin
9. The Rider - The Pussycats
10. Gonna Make Him My Baby - April Young
11. No News - The Glories
12. Be Good to Your Baby - The Avons
13. Gee Dad - Andrea Carroll
14. I Wish I Had Known - Sandra Phillips
15. I Just Don't Understand - Carmen Cole
16. Stand by Me - Little Eva
17. Why Don't You Do Right? - Nichelle Nichols
18. Hangin' On to My Baby - Tracey Dey
19. Talk That Sweet Talk - Dorothy Jones

SNEAK PREVIEW -- Despite the mod-sounding CD title, there are some super, soulful girl-group tracks contained within -- two of my favorites being as follows:

TRACK 2 Above:
THE SWEET THINGS - "You're My Loving Baby" [[Date Records) [[Lead Singer Francine Barker was the first Peaches of the 1960's version of Peaches & Herb. This Spector-esque masterpiece was produced by none other than the late, great Van McCoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyhRdzkyQlg

TRACK 12 Above:
THE AVONS - "Be Good To Your Baby" [[Sound Stage 7 Records)

Another powerhouse Wall-Of-Sound-Alike by a group whose lead singer sounds like a powerful cross between Lala Brooks and Ronnie Spector. So glad to finally be getting this on CD from the master tapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmswX4ws6I

Here's the CD itself -- available for Pre-Order from Amazon [[U.S.):

https://www.amazon.com/Honeybeat-Groovy-60s-Girl-Pop/dp/B06X9GK4C7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491612214&sr=8-1&keywords=honeybeat+cd

kenneth
04-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Wow, this looks really good. Thanks for posting! I think I'll need to have this!

Philles/Motown Gary
04-08-2017, 01:24 AM
Wow, this looks really good. Thanks for posting! I think I'll need to have this!

Sure thing, Kenny!

sophisticated_soul
04-08-2017, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about this.:)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about this.:)
You're welcome, sophisticated_soul.

thommg
04-08-2017, 11:58 AM
And the money keeps flowing on out! Thanks for this heads up, Gary!

Philles/Motown Gary
04-08-2017, 12:39 PM
And the money keeps flowing on out! Thanks for this heads up, Gary!

You bet, Thom! And don't worry -- it'll be money well-spent, you'll see!

soulpassion
04-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Another one to add to my collection...Thankyou ;)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Another one to add to my collection...Thankyou ;)

You're welcome, soulpassion! ;-)

thommg
04-12-2017, 02:51 PM
You bet, Thom! And don't worry -- it'll be money well-spent, you'll see!

Well, the money's been spent. Can't wait for it to arrive! Nice to see that also packaged it as an LP.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Well, the money's been spent. Can't wait for it to arrive! Nice to see that also packaged it as an LP.

At-A-Boy, Thom! Glad to hear you ordered it! I'm looking forward to my copy as well. Yeah, I, too, noticed that it's available in vinyl as well as CD. I found it refreshing that downloads weren't even mentioned! [[Bad for the download fans; wonderful for us CD fans!) It further proves that CD's are far from dead while downloads are already on the decline [[or so I've read).

thommg
04-26-2017, 01:32 PM
At-A-Boy, Thom! Glad to hear you ordered it! I'm looking forward to my copy as well. Yeah, I, too, noticed that it's available in vinyl as well as CD. I found it refreshing that downloads weren't even mentioned! [[Bad for the download fans; wonderful for us CD fans!) It further proves that CD's are far from dead while downloads are already on the decline [[or so I've read).

Gary, my CD has arrived! I'll be putting it onto my mp3 player tonight and will report back once I've had the opportunity to let the music sink in!

Philles/Motown Gary
04-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Gary, my CD has arrived! I'll be putting it onto my mp3 player tonight and will report back once I've had the opportunity to let the music sink in!

Congrats on getting your copy, Thom! I got mine last Friday [[thanks to my Amazon Prime Membership). Out of the 19 tracks, there were some that I already had in my collection, and some that were new to me. Altogether, there are 6 tracks that I love. I'm pretty fussy, so 6 excellent tracks on one CD is a pretty good ratio for me. Either way, just track 12 alone [[THE AVONS - "Be Good To Your Baby") FINALLY being available from the master tapes makes the entire CD worth it to me. [[Your right -- there's a lot of music there to digest all at once. Bon Appetite!)

thommg
04-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Gary, got mine in the mail early last week. Not what I expected but I love it! The Groovy in the title is there for a reason. I have not heard most of these songs before but I was kinda non stop with them until I got my Supremes A Go Go. This will get a lot of spins on my mp3 player [[do things spin on an mp3?). The Lollipops 'Don't Monkey With Me' just makes me laugh. And The Avons 'Be Good To Your Baby' is such a Wall Of Sound recording! Gia Mateo's 'If You Can't Say Anything Nice' has a Burt Bacharach feel to it, frankly, I could hear Dionne singing this. Great addition to my collection! Thanks again for the heads up.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Gary, got mine in the mail early last week. Not what I expected but I love it! The Groovy in the title is there for a reason. I have not heard most of these songs before but I was kinda non stop with them until I got my Supremes A Go Go. This will get a lot of spins on my mp3 player [[do things spin on an mp3?). The Lollipops 'Don't Monkey With Me' just makes me laugh. And The Avons 'Be Good To Your Baby' is such a Wall Of Sound recording! Gia Mateo's 'If You Can't Say Anything Nice' has a Burt Bacharach feel to it, frankly, I could hear Dionne singing this. Great addition to my collection! Thanks again for the heads up.
You're very welcome, Thom! Glad you liked it. It kinda pales in comparison with The Supremes "A' Go-Go", I know, but it's still worth having. The Avons and The Sweet Things are still my faves. Anything that sounds like Philles or Motown is gonna be right up my alley!

To answer your question -- no, I don't think there are any moving parts with mp3's. Soulster would be the guy to explain that kind of technical stuff, but I haven't seen him around in a dog's age.

For now, you can tuck your wallet away....until next time!