PDA

View Full Version : Female vocals on California Soul [[the Messangers's version)

test

jboy88
04-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Does anyone have any idea who provided the female unison vocals alongside the band's lead vocalist. To me it sounds a lot like Valerie Simpson, though she didn't have any role in the production for this version. I could also be Louvain Demps, who's superb soprano was largely undermined. There weren't any female members in any of the pics I've seen of them, nor was one mentioned in their bios. Perhaps someone can give some insight! [[and stay on topic as well)

TomatoTom123
04-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Hi jboy, I hear that female voice too. The song was recorded in July 1967 in Hitsville GW so it has to be a woman who was around Motown, in Detroit, at that time. Apart from that, I have no idea! :)

jboy88
04-06-2017, 10:41 PM
I also wonder why an all white band, geared towards a teen-pop market, had a single issued on the Soul imprint. IMO, The Messengers where among the better of Motown's pre-Rare Earth label rock bands. Had it been released on a different label like V.I.P or even Motown proper, maybe they would of had some success.

TomatoTom123
04-07-2017, 04:47 AM
Yea, jboy, I had noticed that too and thought it was a bit weird. Of course they did eventually get transferred over to the Rare Earth label, but even that was for one single only: "That's The Way A Woman Is" b/w "In The Jungle".

johnny_raven
04-07-2017, 08:37 AM
Yea, jboy, I had noticed that too and thought it was a bit weird. Of course they did eventually get transferred over to the Rare Earth label, but even that was for one single only: "That's The Way A Woman Is" b/w "In The Jungle".

They did release a full album on Rare Earth in '69 ...

reese
04-07-2017, 09:38 AM
This album cover is quite similar to that of the Supremes/Tempts TOGETHER album. Is it by the same artist?

144man
04-07-2017, 01:47 PM
I also wonder why an all white band, geared towards a teen-pop market, had a single issued on the Soul imprint. IMO, The Messengers where among the better of Motown's pre-Rare Earth label rock bands. Had it been released on a different label like V.I.P or even Motown proper, maybe they would of had some success.

That has been puzzling me for 50 years.