PDA

View Full Version : Follow-Ups That Should Have Been Bigger

test

TomatoTom123
04-05-2017, 09:31 AM
I have always thought that Motown was very good at following up after hits, getting the balance right between not being too similar, but not being too dissimilar either. Take The Supremes' five consecutive #1s, for example, which was an excellent piece of following-up! But sometimes follow-ups failed to deliver and become as big a hit as their predecessors, in most cases unfairly so!!!

So, are there any follow-ups that you thought should have been bigger hits? I have to go for The Temptations' "It's Growing" and Jimmy Ruffin's "I've Passed This Way Before" both of which are virtually AS FANTASTIC as "My Girl" and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" but were relatively small hits. How 'bout you? :)

kenneth
04-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Interesting topic. "Quicksand" by Martha and the Vandellas comes to mind for me. A great, great song...but I think too similar to its "parent," "Heat Wave." A driving beat, a rising chorus, all based around the theme of a natural disaster. I only ever knew it as an "oldie," so I always enjoyed it on its own merits but considering it came out so close to "Heat Wave," I think it played in the former record's shadow.

stingbeelee
04-05-2017, 10:31 AM
If I remember correctly, "Quicksand" went top ten, all the way to number 8. So it was a "hit"; but probably not as big a "hit" as Motown wanted it to be. It is unfortunate that it is all but forgotten, and rarely played on oldies stations. It is one of my favorite Martha & The Vandellas records.

TomatoTom123
04-05-2017, 11:10 AM
"Quicksand" is a fantastic song and deserving of a hit! I believe "Heatwave" went to #4 so "Quicksand" at #8 isn't bad. Of course you never hear "Quicksand" even though it was a Top Ten hit. Even better, however, is the follow-up to the follow-up, "Live Wire", which is an absolutely fantastic song!!! Sadly it didn't even crack the Top Forty, peaking at #42... :[[

Motown Eddie
04-05-2017, 11:25 AM
I've always felt that Martha & the Vandellas' "Wild One" should've been a bigger hit since it followed the sound of "Dancing In The Street" closely.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-05-2017, 11:27 AM
The Marvelettes' "You're The One", which immediately followed "Don't Mess With Bill". Cleverly written and produced by Smokey, it was styled in the same sexy vein as its predecessor. I've always loved that record. Wanda Rogers and The Andantes did a great job on it, and it deserved to be a much bigger hit than it was. Strangely, it never appeared on an album until nearly two years later on The Marvelettes' "Sophisticated Soul" in Fall of 1968. [[Better late than never, but, still, it should have been a hit.)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-05-2017, 11:30 AM
I've always felt that Martha & the Vandellas' "Wild One" should've been a bigger hit since it followed the sound of "Dancing In The Street" closely.
Me, too, Eddie. I loved "Wild One" and still do. Same goes for Martha's "You've Been In Love Too Long". Those two records were gettin' down!

RanRan79
04-05-2017, 11:38 AM
So, are there any follow-ups that you thought should have been bigger hits?

I hesitate to reveal my answers because they were big hits. Not only do I think "It's Growing" was a great follow up to "My Girl", but so was "Since I Lost My Baby", both of which, if I'm to be honest, I actually prefer to "My Girl". They both managed the top 5 R&B but I'm surprised they didn't reach number one. I'm equally amazed that they didn't even hit the top 10 pop.

"Without the One You Love" followed "Baby I Need Your Lovin" for the Tops and I've always thought that was a poor follow up. [[Although it is one of my favorite Tops tunes.) "Ask the Lonely" was a perfect record and I can't believe it wasn't as big as "Baby I Need Your Loving".

"Nothing But Heartaches" is an excellent song and I don't know why it didn't become the Supremes' sixth chart topper. Everything about it is perfect to my ears.

It's a travesty that Martha and the Vandellas' "My Baby Loves Me" follow up "What Am I Going to Do Without Your Love" wasn't a top 10 cut. Perhaps of all the songs I've mentioned this is the one that baffles me the most. I don't understand why it didn't catch on with the public. The track is great, the lead is great, the background is great, the lyrics are great. So sad that the general public passed on it and few remember it today.

RanRan79
04-05-2017, 11:40 AM

I agree with that.

BayouMotownMan
04-05-2017, 11:49 AM
1. Don'tcha Love It-Miracles. Patterned after Do It Baby but funkier
2.. I'm Here Again-Thelma Patterned after Don't Leave Me This Way but richer production
3. Reach Out I'll Be There-Diana Ross. One of her best vocals, patterned after ANMHE

marv2
04-05-2017, 12:19 PM
I always thought High Inergy's "Lovin' Fever" should have been a bigger hit than it was. It received quite a bit of airplay, whereas the immediate follow up to their hit "You Can't Turn Me Off" called "We Are the Future" did not get much airplay. .

BayouMotownMan
04-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Lovin' Fever was not a followup, High Inergy had two prior singles before it. Love Is All You Need and We Are The Future

woodward
04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
I always felt that the "B" side of Heat Wave, A Love Like Yours, was awesome. It did not get a lot of airplay but on certain stations it did. Same thoughts on the "B" side of Locking Up My Heart, Forever, was beyond awesome. It suffered because it was I thought issued as Locking Up My Heart as the "A" side and the "B" side was way superior.

DJMoch
04-05-2017, 02:44 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised "Nothing But Heartaches" didn't do better than it did, and it managed to stop the Supremes #1 streak in its tracks. I honestly like it more than "Back In My Arms Again".

Motown Eddie
04-05-2017, 03:13 PM
Stevie Wonder's "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby". While it hit the Billboard Pop Top 30 [[at #20), it wasn't as big as the song that it was patterned after, "Uptight [[Everything's Alright)".

luke
04-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Remember Me follow up to ANMHE. Great performance great song. Only made it to number 16 in USA

imakicola
04-06-2017, 12:26 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised "Nothing But Heartaches" didn't do better than it did, and it managed to stop the Supremes #1 streak in its tracks. I honestly like it more than "Back In My Arms Again".

Honestly I think nothing but heartaches is like the one supremes song I can't stand. It's not even remotely catchy to me and the recording is such low quality that the voices are blurry.

BigAl
04-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Same goes for Martha's "You've Been In Love Too Long".
This song might have fared better had so many DJs not flipped it over and started playing the B-side, which was "Love [[Makes Me Do foolish Things)," which was essentially a solo by Martha [[delivered beautifully, I might add). Both are great songs but I believe the play-split served to prevent either from making much headway.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-06-2017, 11:04 AM
This song might have fared better had so many DJs not flipped it over and started playing the B-side, which was "Love [[Makes Me Do foolish Things)," which was essentially a solo by Martha [[delivered beautifully, I might add). Both are great songs but I believe the play-split served to prevent either from making much headway.

I agree, BigAl. I know that was the nature of the record business back in the day, but I never understood why. You would think that double-sided airplay would attract twice as many fans which would garner twice as many sales, thus pushing the record twice as far up the charts. Instead, double-sided airplay cuts into the record's chart position. Man, there oughta be a law!

arr&bee
04-06-2017, 11:12 AM
the marvelettes' "you're the one", which immediately followed "don't mess with bill". Cleverly written and produced by smokey, it was styled in the same sexy vein as its predecessor. I've always loved that record. Wanda rogers and the andantes did a great job on it, and it deserved to be a much bigger hit than it was. Strangely, it never appeared on an album until nearly two years later on the marvelettes' "sophisticated soul" in fall of 1968. [[better late than never, but, still, it should have been a hit.)you took the words right out of my mouth,my favorite marvelettes song,shoulda been a big hit.

JohnnyB
04-06-2017, 12:38 PM
1. Don'tcha Love It-Miracles. Patterned after Do It Baby but funkier
2.. I'm Here Again-Thelma Patterned after Don't Leave Me This Way but richer production
3. Reach Out I'll Be There-Diana Ross. One of her best vocals, patterned after ANMHE

Diana's Reach Out, I'll Be There immediately comes to my mind as a single I thought would have done better on the charts. Perhaps had it been released as the immediate follow up to ANMHE it would have been bigger. It's definitely inspired by ANMHE, but also a strong performance on its own merits IMO...

florence
04-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Remember Me follow up to ANMHE. Great performance great song. Only made it to number 16 in USA

Remember Me is my favourite DR song, big hit in the UK.

More often than not it was airplay which held Diana back in the US chart [[Billboard).

Interesting that in both Cash Box and Record World which at that time were compiled solely on sales it went top 10 as indeed did Reach Out And Touch and Last Time I Saw Him.

kenneth
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I thought of another...maybe the most obvious one. "Twistin' Postman" was a blatant "let's do it again" follow up to the Marvelettes' [[and Motown's) first Number 1 record. I actually like "Twistin'" quite a bit. Its instrumentation, especially during the bridge, is early Funk Brothers at their best. I think it would have done a lot better if it had been about anything other than a Postman! I have a feeling even kids at the time would have viewed it as an obvious rip-off of "Please."

Then, of course, there was the Marvelettes' "Paper Boy" [[although it was a B side) which seemed to try and copy the formula "one bridge too far." Even my hometown newspaper, the Detroit Free Press, bring mentioned in the lyrics couldn't save this one!

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Marvelettes never covered Jerry Butler's "Hey Western Union Man", Johnny Rivers' "Memphis, Tennessee" [[remember "Long distance, Information, give me Memphis, Tennessee") or their colleague Mary Wells' "Operator!"

arr&bee
04-06-2017, 01:19 PM
I loved[truly yours-the spinners-1966]it followed[i'll always love you]but didn't do as well.

RanRan79
04-06-2017, 02:14 PM
I thought of another...maybe the most obvious one. "Twistin' Postman" was a blatant "let's do it again" follow up to the Marvelettes' [[and Motown's) first Number 1 record. I actually like "Twistin'" quite a bit. Its instrumentation, especially during the bridge, is early Funk Brothers at their best. I think it would have done a lot better if it had been about anything other than a Postman! I have a feeling even kids at the time would have viewed it as an obvious rip-off of "Please."

Then, of course, there was the Marvelettes' "Paper Boy" [[although it was a B side) which seemed to try and copy the formula "one bridge too far." Even my hometown newspaper, the Detroit Free Press, bring mentioned in the lyrics couldn't save this one!

Come to think of it, I'm surprised the Marvelettes never covered Jerry Butler's "Hey Western Union Man", Johnny Rivers' "Memphis, Tennessee" [[remember "Long distance, Information, give me Memphis, Tennessee") or their colleague Mary Wells' "Operator!"

I'm not surprised that "Twistin Postman" didn't do better. I hate it, but aside from that it just doesn't capture any magic, IMO. I do love "Paper Boy" though. Lol

jsmith
04-06-2017, 02:50 PM
In the UK in the late 60's, it was mid 60's uptemp dancers that were being re-activated and were making the pop charts here. The likes of the 4 Tops, Isley Bros, Miracles, Martha & V's, Marvelettes, Stevie Wonder, Jnr Walker, Jimmy Ruffin & Marv Johnson all hit the UK pop 45 charts.
In many cases, none US 45 tracks were put out here as follow-ups with only the releases of the Temptations and Supremes following the US lead.
So here, things were very different to back in the US for a period of about 2 years+. I think the guys at EMI did a great job and helped the likes of Marv Johnson, R Dean Taylor, Jimmy Ruffin [[to a lesser extent Edwin Starr) & more to reactivate their careers.
BUT it did [[on many occasions) make finding a follow up to a recently reactivated track [[that had become a UK pop hit) very difficult.
MIND YOU . . it did result in "Tears Of A Clown" which then repeated it's UK 45 success all around the world.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Another Motown follow-up that really tripped my trigger but failed to burn up the charts was the Four Tops "Something About You". It was a high-octane production and performance number, perfectly created for the dance floor. Written and produced by H-D-H, I equate its energy with The Supremes "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart". Should have been a top-of-the-charts hit.

TomatoTom123
04-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Another Motown follow-up that really tripped my trigger but failed to burn up the charts was the Four Tops "Something About You". It was a high-octane production and performance number, perfectly created for the dance floor. Written and produced by H-D-H, I equate its energy with The Supremes "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart". Should have been a top-of-the-charts hit.

Oh, definitely, Gary! I love "Something About You"... it's an infectious,
rollicking non-stop floorfiller!!!! But, for me, follow-ups don't come much better than The Tops' previous single, "It's The Same Old Song". You see, the best way to follow-up on a #1 hit, after being accused of making songs that all sound too similar, is to create a tune entitled "It's The Same Old Song". Give it an incredibly catchy hook and fierce vocal performance [[matched only by The Funk Brothrs' playing) and VWA-LA! Such a clever, and utterly, utterly fantastic song. Can't believe it didn't hit #1 like "I Can't Help Myself"... it definitely should have! ;)

Gary, I also love "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart". It is quite possibly The Funk Brothers' best performance, ever. Should have been another #1 of course!!!!

kenneth
04-06-2017, 08:33 PM
There was also Edwin Starr's "Stop the War Now," the follow up to "War." But I don't think "Stop" deserved to be a big hit; it really was the same song, just turned on its side, in a way.

TomatoTom123
04-06-2017, 08:42 PM
There was also Edwin Starr's "Stop the War Now," the follow up to "War." But I don't think "Stop" deserved to be a big hit; it really was the same song, just turned on its side, in a way.

Yea, that one's interesting, kenneth. It is a blatant copycat follow-up but as far as blatant copycat follow-ups go, it's a great song! It's got a good, catchy chorus and the "give peace a chance" bit is great. The verses don't quite have that frantic, powerful feel to them like "War" though. Also, "Stop The War Now" was a more specific demand, relating only to the Vietnam war [[which means that the song has kinda dated) whereas "War" has that powerful, timeless message! Still, I like "Stop The War Now" very much. :)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 02:09 AM
Smokey Robinson & The Miracles follow-up to their irresistible "Going To A Go-Go" was "Whole Lot Of Shaking In My Heart [[Since I Met You)". I LOVED that record when it came out, and I still adore it today! It's a real floor stomper crammed full of Smokey's usual unique and clever lyrics. Why it wasn't a huge hit in the early Summer of 1966 remains one of life's mysteries.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 02:38 AM
you took the words right out of my mouth,my favorite marvelettes song,shoulda been a big hit.

"You're The One" was hot, arr&bee! Other than Jr. Walker's early hits, Motown rarely featured an organ in their recordings. But, Man, on "You're The One", that organ was right out front and prominent from the opening note of the intro to the very last note of the fade-out. Earl Van Dyke did a great job on that record, and, as always, Smokey was a master at inspiring the best performances from Wanda. [[I'll bet she loved her recording sessions with Smokey!) For me, that was a thrilling record with a unique arrangement and production, and a top-notch performance from Wanda and The Andantes. You gotta wonder -- what the heck happened on the charts?

I also agree with you regarding The Spinners "Truly Yours". For me, that remains one of Motown's prettiest records they ever released -- right up there with Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted".

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 02:49 AM
Oh, definitely, Gary! I love "Something About You"... it's an infectious,
rollicking non-stop floorfiller!!!! But, for me, follow-ups don't come much better than The Tops' previous single, "It's The Same Old Song". You see, the best way to follow-up on a #1 hit, after being accused of making songs that all sound too similar, is to create a tune entitled "It's The Same Old Song". Give it an incredibly catchy hook and fierce vocal performance [[matched only by The Funk Brothrs' playing) and VWA-LA! Such a clever, and utterly, utterly fantastic song. Can't believe it didn't hit #1 like "I Can't Help Myself"... it definitely should have! ;)

You know, Tom, I loved The Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself" from the very moment it hit the airwaves in Spring of 1965. That record was so incredibly fresh and exciting! But when I first heard "It's The Same Old Song" a few months later, I was bored stiff by it. It just seemed so inferior. Of course, now, some 52 years later, I love it! Go figure!!!

TomatoTom123
04-07-2017, 04:40 AM
You know, Tom, I loved The Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself" from the very moment it hit the airwaves in Spring of 1965. That record was so incredibly fresh and exciting! But when I first heard "It's The Same Old Song" a few months later, I was bored stiff by it. It just seemed so inferior. Of course, now, some 52 years later, I love it! Go figure!!!

What!? Gary, that's crazy!!! Haha, I love it... :)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 10:51 AM
What!? Gary, that's crazy!!! Haha, I love it... :)
Yeah, well.... Call me unpredictable!

Motown Eddie
04-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Here's another one; Marvin Gaye's "One More Heartache". Clearly in the mold of his previous hit "Ain't That Peculiar", I've always felt it should've been a bigger hit at the time.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Here's another one; Marvin Gaye's "One More Heartache". Clearly in the mold of his previous hit "Ain't That Peculiar", I've always felt it should've been a bigger hit at the time.
Love 'em both, Eddie! Kudos to Marvin AND The Andantes!

DJMoch
04-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Honestly I think nothing but heartaches is like the one supremes song I can't stand. It's not even remotely catchy to me and the recording is such low quality that the voices are blurry.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks. :) A lot of their earliest stuff I'm not too keen on. It's always interesting to see people's likes and dislikes, sometimes it's surprising.

144man
04-07-2017, 02:06 PM

I can't agree. I can barely hold a tune, yet I could sing "Nothing But Heartaches " from memory after only hearing it once.

TomatoTom123
04-07-2017, 07:42 PM
"Nothing But Heartaches" is reallly very excellent. Familiar but not too similar to The Supremes' previous hits. Coulda and shoulda been another #1. [[Mind you, I think every decent Motown song should have hit #1...!!!) :D

vgalindo
04-08-2017, 12:31 AM
I love "Nothing But Heartaches". I think it should have hit #1

daviddh
04-08-2017, 11:35 AM
I always liked Nothing But Heartaches. a fav of mine . but looking back on it I think Motown didn't promote it correctly as I remember , or it seems they were confused as to what the NEXT song should be...they had the Supremes perform Mother Dear twice on tv in place of NBH. I am sure that lack of promo hurt the song. as I look back you can see what songs the supremes performed on tv and how many times and the chart positions.
I remember when they performed Come See About Me the following week it jumped back to #1.
in 1970 ed Sullivan made a deal to have DR and the Supremes on but BG pulled DR out of public eye for about a year. I don't still understand this but I am assuming he thought her absence would create a huge wave of sorts. he was wrong.Sullivan was furious and he never had the supremes on again . I don't think those early DR songs got much pr.
I was kinda young so my memory is faded but I don't remember her on tv much then other than her own tv special. to me , out of sight out of mind!!! so no record sales

daviddh
04-08-2017, 09:01 PM
I also thought Nathan Jones is a cool classic that didn't do badly but thought it should have been bigger. they performed it once on Tonight Show but I think that was it. this song was rock but soulful at the same time . under rated in my opinion.

johnjeb
04-09-2017, 12:30 PM
I liked The Miracles' "I Don't Blame You At All" better than "Tears of A Clown" [[which I didn't care for when it was released, but I now appreciate how catchy it is) and had hoped "Blame" would be a bigger hit. Seems like it's totally forgotten today, along with some of the other great songs mentioned in this thread.

I also liked Edwin Starr's "Stop the War Now" better than "War".

I love "Something About You". Not a fan of The Marvelettes' "You're The One", I almost always skip over that song.

Lots of mention, in this thread, for "Nothing But Heartaches". I was recently binge-listening to the 16 Big Hits volumes and realized that "Heartaches" and "Itching" are the only two "hits" by The Supremes not included in that series. Motown must have still been nursing their wounds from those two songs missing the top of the charts. [[Three of The Supremes earliest releases, "I Want A Guy", "My Heart Can't Take It No More" and "Run, Run, Run", are also not included, but no surprise there. Interestingly, one B-side, "Going Down For The Third Time", is included.)

jobeterob
04-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Take A Look Around by the Temptations should have been a bigger hit; I don't know what it followed anymore

Remember Me should have done better

RanRan79
04-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I liked The Miracles' "I Don't Blame You At All" better than "Tears of A Clown" [[which I didn't care for when it was released, but I now appreciate how catchy it is) and had hoped "Blame" would be a bigger hit. Seems like it's totally forgotten today, along with some of the other great songs mentioned in this thread.

Same here. I can listen to "Clown" but I almost never specifically play it. I love "I Don't Blame You At All".

TomatoTom123
04-09-2017, 09:02 PM
I also thought Nathan Jones is a cool classic that didn't do badly but thought it should have been bigger. they performed it once on Tonight Show but I think that was it. this song was rock but soulful at the same time . under rated in my opinion.

Totally agree, david. "Nathan Jones" didn't do badly, making the US Top 20 and peaking at #16 [[here in the UK it was a #5 smash!) but there's no reason why it couldn't and shouldn't have been a #1. It's vibrant and energetic and just fantastic! :)

TomatoTom123
04-09-2017, 09:06 PM
I love both "Tears Of A Clown" and "I Don't Blame You At All"...! "I Don't Blame You" was actually something of a British hit [[just missing out on Top Ten at #11) and deservedly so. A great follow-up to the catchy "Tears Of A Clown". I never hear it on the radio today though????!!! A shame! :)

TomatoTom123
04-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Take A Look Around by the Temptations should have been a bigger hit; I don't know what it followed anymore better

rob, I believe "Take A Look Around" followed "Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)". I like both very much but I'm not sure if it [[a mid-tempo ballad) was the best choice to follow [[the funky, rock-ish) "Superstar". Nevertheless it made #30 in the US and #12 in the UK!

TomatoTom123
04-17-2017, 07:31 PM
I have to go for The Temptations' "It's Growing" and Jimmy Ruffin's "I've Passed This Way Before" both of which are virtually AS FANTASTIC as "My Girl" and "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" but were relatively small hits.

I have been paying attention to the radio recently and the only Jimmy Ruffin song they EVER seem to play is "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?"... oh, that and "Hold On To My Love". I don't know about you but this frustrates me endlessly!! Why not play the equally-excellent follow-ups "I've Passed This Way Before" and "Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got" [[both of which were Top 30 hits here in the UK) for a change? How about, even, one of Jimmy's Top Ten UK hits like "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" or "I'll Say Forever My Love"...? [[They just NEVER DO!)

*sigh*

Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong radio stations... LOL ;)

mowest
04-17-2017, 07:53 PM
I have been paying attention to the radio recently and the only Jimmy Ruffin song they EVER seem to play is "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?"... oh, that and "Hold On To My Love". I don't know about you but this frustrates me endlessly!! Why not play the equally-excellent follow-ups "I've Passed This Way Before" and "Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got" [[both of which were Top 30 hits here in the UK) for a change?

*sigh*

Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong radio stations... LOL ;)

I totally agree! I love the Sixties station on XM. They do play a lot of songs you don’t hear elsewhere but “Brokenhearted” is the only Jimmy Ruffin song I ever hear there. “Gonna Give Her” is one of my very favorite Motown recordings; it deserves more airplay.

TomatoTom123
04-17-2017, 08:15 PM
I totally agree! I love the Sixties station on XM. They do play a lot of songs you don’t hear elsewhere but “Brokenhearted” is the only Jimmy Ruffin song I ever hear there. “Gonna Give Her” is one of my very favorite Motown recordings; it deserves more airplay.

Yes indeed, mowest. I love that song. Such a contrast to "Brokenhearted" but just as good in every way.

I've been listening to Magic's digital radio station "Magic Soul" quite a lot recently. It's really quite good; they play all the songs you'd expect [[all the classics) but some you don't. I mean, I was so shocked when I heard Edwin Starr's "Stop Her On Sight" and The Supremes' "Bad Weather" playing!!! [[Two of my favourite Motown songs, playing on a national radio station!!!)

They even have this "Magic Soul vault" section in which the presenter picks out some rarer songs, like album tracks or B-Sides that don't get played enough. Unfortunately the concept kinda fell apart for me when they "dug through the vault" and played two Billboard #1s in a row, The Supremes' "Love Child" and Eddie Kendricks' "Keep On Truckin'"... *sigh again*

LOL

Philles/Motown Gary
04-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Yes indeed, mowest. I love that song. Such a contrast to "Brokenhearted" but just as good in every way.

I've been listening to Magic's digital radio station "Magic Soul" quite a lot recently. It's really quite good; they play all the songs you'd expect [[all the classics) but some you don't. I mean, I was so shocked when I heard Edwin Starr's "Stop Her On Sight" and The Supremes' "Bad Weather" playing!!! [[Two of my favourite Motown songs, playing on a national radio station!!!)

They even have this "Magic Soul vault" section in which the presenter picks out some rarer songs, like album tracks or B-Sides that don't get played enough. Unfortunately the concept kinda fell apart for me when they "dug through the vault" and played two Billboard #1s in a row, The Supremes' "Love Child" and Eddie Kendricks' "Keep On Truckin'"... *sigh again*

LOL

Tom, as much as I Iove Jimmy Ruffin's "....Brokenhearted" -- which, to me, is one of the prettiest records Motown ever released -- I would love to hear the oldies stations devoting some much-deserved and long-over-due attention to Jimmy's "As Long As There Is L-O-V-E [[Love)", as well as "Maria" and "Living In A World I Created For Myself" -- all Motown masterpieces by Jimmy Ruffin and The Andantes.

TomatoTom123
04-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Tom, as much as I Iove Jimmy Ruffin's "....Brokenhearted" -- which, to me, is one of the prettiest records Motown ever released -- I would love to hear the oldies stations devoting some much-deserved and long-over-due attention to Jimmy's "As Long As There Is L-O-V-E [[Love)", as well as "Maria" and "Living In A World I Created For Myself" -- all Motown masterpieces by Jimmy Ruffin and The Andantes.

I totally agree Gary! I love "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" but it just gets a bit boring when you play it over and over again. If radio stations played follow-ups by so-called "one-hit wonders" they could nearly double their playlist. [[Sorta?)

Oh, and "Living In A World I Created For Myself" has to be one of Jimmy's best vocal performances ever. And The Andantes too. What a heavenly combination, Jimmy and The Andantes!! Also, one of my latest favourites by Jimmy is "Let's Say Goodbye Tomorrow", which is just achingly beautiful! :)

144man
04-18-2017, 02:26 AM
I still think Jimmy Ruffin's "Maria [[You Were the Only One)" would have been a big hit if given the airplay.

RanRan79
04-18-2017, 09:54 AM

"As Long As There Is Love" is my fav Jimmy Ruffin cut. I first heard it on the radio back in the 90s. Such a great song.

Circa 1824
04-18-2017, 04:07 PM
3. Reach Out I'll Be There-Diana Ross. One of her best vocals, patterned after ANMHE[/QUOTE]

I don't know why the mix was sooooo muddy. She sings it brilliantly, but the overall record lacked a crispness and "clearness" that was needed for this song to succeed.

marybrewster
04-18-2017, 05:27 PM
The Ross-less Supremes hit Top 10 with "Up the Ladder to the Roof", perhaps to the thanks of high profile appearances on Ed Sullivan and the Smokey Robinson Special. Their follow-up, "Everybody's Got the Right to Love", didn't make the Top 20, even with the benefit of performances on Glenn Campbell and Andy Williams.

So what happened?

I think where "Ladder" was uptempo and glorious in harmony, "Everybody" was to slow? Too churchy? Too much like "Someday We'll Be Together"? I dunno.

Interestingly, was this the first Supremes single NOT recorded at Studio A? I believe this was recorded at Golden World.

daviddh
04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
EVERYBODYS GOT THE RIGHT was more a Dean Martin type of song. good lp cut nut not a single. didn't even have the Motown feel. but Jean and the ladies show some good vocals. I would have went with Life Beats or any other track other than this one

TomatoTom123
04-18-2017, 07:31 PM
I'm listening to "Everybody's Got The Right To Love" for the first time right now. It's really quite fantastic!

You're right, Mary, it is slower and less upbeat than "Up The Ladder To The Roof"... maybe not quite smash hit material.

TomatoTom123
04-18-2017, 07:34 PM

I'm interested to know... is "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?" actually anyone's favourite Jimmy Ruffin song? Of course I do love it... it's beautiful and poignant but I'm just not a massive fan of depressing songs... Lol

RanRan79
04-18-2017, 07:39 PM
The Ross-less Supremes hit Top 10 with "Up the Ladder to the Roof", perhaps to the thanks of high profile appearances on Ed Sullivan and the Smokey Robinson Special. Their follow-up, "Everybody's Got the Right to Love", didn't make the Top 20, even with the benefit of performances on Glenn Campbell and Andy Williams.

So what happened?

I think where "Ladder" was uptempo and glorious in harmony, "Everybody" was to slow? Too churchy? Too much like "Someday We'll Be Together"? I dunno.

Interestingly, was this the first Supremes single NOT recorded at Studio A? I believe this was recorded at Golden World.

Jean's vocal on "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" is so beautiful to me. I love this song for her voice alone. But other than that nothing about this song ever sounded like a hit to me and I always question the decision to follow up "Ladder" with it. I would have gone with either "I Got Hurt" or "But I Love You More". Even though I don't care for the song, I might have even given "Baby, Baby" a chance. I just don't hear a hit when I listen to "Everybody's Got the Right to Love".

daviddh
04-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Jean's vocal on "Everybody's Got the Right to Love" is so beautiful to me. I love this song for her voice alone. But other than that nothing about this song ever sounded like a hit to me and I always question the decision to follow up "Ladder" with it. I would have gone with either "I Got Hurt" or "But I Love You More". Even though I don't care for the song, I might have even given "Baby, Baby" a chance. I just don't hear a hit when I listen to "Everybody's Got the Right to Love".
love But I Love You More

RanRan79
04-18-2017, 07:53 PM
love But I Love You More

Me too David.

TomatoTom123
04-22-2017, 03:39 AM
love But I Love You More

There is also a brilliant version by The Blackberries, and Blackberry Sherlie Matthews actually wrote the song! :)

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 02:09 AM
EVERYBODYS GOT THE RIGHT was more a Dean Martin type of song. good lp cut nut not a single. didn't even have the Motown feel. but Jean and the ladies show some good vocals. I would have went with Life Beats or any other track other than this one

I think I would have gone with "Life Beats" also but I don't think it was recorded at the time of Right On's release. I had "Life Beats" on a bootleg a couple years before it's official release and I gave it one or two listens and passed on it. When it made it onto the 70s Anthology it was like I heard it for the first time. That's a damn good song.

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 02:10 AM
There is also a brilliant version by The Blackberries, and Blackberry Sherlie Matthews actually wrote the song! :)

Tom I didn't care for the Blackberries version. It's not bad but it pales in comparison to the Supremes IMO.

McMotown
04-24-2017, 04:47 AM
What about David Ruffin's Heavy Love should Have been bigger than what it was, but personally I would have followed Walk Away From Love with Statue of A Fool.

TomatoTom123
04-24-2017, 06:16 AM
What about David Ruffin's Heavy Love should Have been bigger than what it was, but personally I would have followed Walk Away From Love with Statue of A Fool.

Yes indeed, McMotown [[and may I say what a fantastic name that is too!), I ABSOLUTELY ADORE David's "Heavy Love"... it's similar enough to and practically as good as "Walk Away From Love" and it even has that "The Hustle" feel about it. Fantastic!

TomatoTom123
04-24-2017, 06:17 AM
Tom I didn't care for the Blackberries version. It's not bad but it pales in comparison to the Supremes IMO.

Oh, from what I remember The Blackberries version was quite nice. I think I prefer The Supremes version though, too, RanRan. :)

McMotown
04-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks Tom.
The Spinners 'It's A Shame' I thought it was followed by 'Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music' or am I wrong. However love that track anyway.

TomatoTom123
04-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks Tom.
The Spinners 'It's A Shame' I thought it was followed by 'Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music' or am I wrong. However love that track anyway.

You're welcome McMotown! Actually I believe the fantastic "It's A Shame" was followed by the great "We'll Have It Made", on which G.C. Cameron is just brilliant. Sadly it wasn't much of a hit, especially compared to "It's A Shame", and The Spinners left Motown shortly after its release. "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" was, however, released as the B-Side of "Its A Shame", so it was a follow-up of sorts!!!

BUT, in 1973, Motown released a 'remixed' version of "Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music" [[as The Spinners were having a lot of success at Atlantic at this time) but it wasn't a very big hit either. Anyway, you're right, McMotown, the song [[in all its versions!) is great. :D

johnny_raven
04-24-2017, 10:12 AM
I think I would have gone with "Life Beats" also but I don't think it was recorded at the time of Right On's release. I had "Life Beats" on a bootleg a couple years before it's official release and I gave it one or two listens and passed on it. When it made it onto the 70s Anthology it was like I heard it for the first time. That's a damn good song.

Life Beats was scheduled to be The 'New' Supremes' first single release.

McMotown
04-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers follow up the sublime I Am Your Man should have been a great hit

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 02:25 PM

"Heavy Love" sounded too much like "Walk Away" and IMO it just wasn't as good. I think it's the chorus that I don't care for. "Statue of a Fool" could have been big if promoted heavily. It's such a great cut.

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Life Beats was scheduled to be The 'New' Supremes' first single release.

Really? DFTMC has the song being completed in August of 1970 so that's why I didn't choose it. If the song was actually ready to go in time to be a follow up to "Ladder" then it gets my vote.

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers follow up the sublime I Am Your Man should have been a great hit

Bobby tears that song up. I love it.

TomatoTom123
04-24-2017, 02:44 PM
"Heavy Love" sounded too much like "Walk Away" and IMO it just wasn't as good. I think it's the chorus that I don't care for. "Statue of a Fool" could have been big if promoted heavily. It's such a great cut.

Oh no! I just adore "Heavy Love"... admittedly it's got a sort of broken rhythm and it's probably not as good a song as "Walk Away" but I really do like it very much. I love David's vocal and I like how it builds up and gets a little [[just a little) funky towards the end.

Also, I think it was a good choice to follow-up with; I don't think "Statue Of A Fool" [[as a slow ballad) would have been successful following-up "Walk Away". Although all are excellent, the oriental-sounding "Wild Honey" is too different and "Who I Am" doesnt sound like a hit to me. "Heavy Love" was the best song to follow-up with IMO.

Then again I do love the song to bits so I'm slightly biased. Slightly. :p

TomatoTom123
04-24-2017, 02:46 PM
While we're on this topic, why weren't "Everything's Coming Up Love" and "On And Off" huge "Walk Away"-sized hits? Soulful-Disco-Motown perfection in my opinion!!! :D

johnny_raven
04-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Really? DFTMC has the song being completed in August of 1970 so that's why I didn't choose it. If the song was actually ready to go in time to be a follow up to "Ladder" then it gets my vote.

The single version appears on TCMS 1970

"Track recorded December 18, 1969; Background vocals and demo lead vocal recorded December 23; Strings added January 4, 1970; Lead vocal recorded January 15, 1970
Scheduled for Motown M 1162 A

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 09:16 PM
Oh no! I just adore "Heavy Love"... admittedly it's got a sort of broken rhythm and it's probably not as good a song as "Walk Away" but I really do like it very much. I love David's vocal and I like how it builds up and gets a little [[just a little) funky towards the end.

Also, I think it was a good choice to follow-up with; I don't think "Statue Of A Fool" [[as a slow ballad) would have been successful following-up "Walk Away". Although all are excellent, the oriental-sounding "Wild Honey" is too different and "Who I Am" doesnt sound like a hit to me. "Heavy Love" was the best song to follow-up with IMO.

Then again I do love the song to bits so I'm slightly biased. Slightly. :p

Actually it probably made sense to follow up "Walk" with "Heavy" for the reasons you mention. "Statue" is a fantastic song but it only would have worked following "Walk" if Motown put in maximum work to promote it. There's no reason why it shouldn't have been Song of the Year material. It's just an all around great song.

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
While we're on this topic, why weren't "Everything's Coming Up Love" and "On And Off" huge "Walk Away"-sized hits? Soulful-Disco-Motown perfection in my opinion!!! :D

I'm not a fan of "Everything's" but I like "On and Off". I don't think it has what it takes to be as big as "Walk Away" but it could have been a sizable hit. It's a very good song.

RanRan79
04-24-2017, 09:23 PM
The single version appears on TCMS 1970

"Track recorded December 18, 1969; Background vocals and demo lead vocal recorded December 23; Strings added January 4, 1970; Lead vocal recorded January 15, 1970
Scheduled for Motown M 1162 A

Thanks Johnny. So I'll amend my original comment on a follow up to "Ladder" and give my vote to "Life Beats". I think "Ladder" is a better first single [[but not a better overall song) but "Life Beats" could have followed it and had a better showing than "Everybody's Got the Right to Love".

johnny_raven
04-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks Johnny. So I'll amend my original comment on a follow up to "Ladder" and give my vote to "Life Beats". I think "Ladder" is a better first single [[but not a better overall song) but "Life Beats" could have followed it and had a better showing than "Everybody's Got the Right to Love".

I completely concur!

McMotown
04-25-2017, 04:29 AM
Actually it probably made sense to follow up "Walk" with "Heavy" for the reasons you mention. "Statue" is a fantastic song but it only would have worked following "Walk" if Motown put in maximum work to promote it. There's no reason why it shouldn't have been Song of the Year material. It's just an all around great song.

RanRan if only Motown had promoted 'Statue' to the maximum. It's probably my all time favourite David Ruffin track. However I still love 'everything' , 'on and off' and 'Heavy Love'.

Motown Eddie
04-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Here's another one that I feel should've been a bigger hit: The Miracles' "I Gotta Dance To Keep From Crying". I love the similarities it shared with their previous hit, "Mickey's Monkey", and yet the song only made #35 on the Billboard chart. And who among us hasn't felt the need to "Dance To Keep From Crying"?

TomatoTom123
04-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm not a fan of "Everything's" but I like "On and Off". I don't think it has what it takes to be as big as "Walk Away" but it could have been a sizable hit. It's a very good song.

Mmm, yes it is! "On And Off" should have been a substantial hit in my opinion! "Walk Away From Love" probably sounds most like a big hit, however. "Everything's Coming Up Love" is fantastic but maybe not hit material. What do you think of "Let's Get Into Something", RanRan? Because [[you'll never believe it...) I love it! It's catchy and has really grown on me; maybe that one should have been a single. BTW I have yet to fall in love with "Statue Of A Fool"... might have something to do it originally being a cringy country song!!!

McMotown
04-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Mmm, yes it is! "On And Off" should have been a substantial hit in my opinion! "Walk Away From Love" probably sounds most like a big hit, however. "Everything's Coming Up Love" is fantastic but maybe not hit material. What do you think of "Let's Get Into Something", RanRan? Because [[you'll never believe it...) I love it! It's catchy has really grown on me; maybe that one should have been a single. BTW I have yet to fall in love with "Statue Of A Fool"... might have something to do it originally being a cringey country song!!!

Come on Tom don't think about that just listen to David singing Statue a few more times. I admit 'let's get into something' has grown on me to. I'm still on the fence with 'rode by the place' . Any views on Discover Me.

RanRan79
04-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Mmm, yes it is! "On And Off" should have been a substantial hit in my opinion! "Walk Away From Love" probably sounds most like a big hit, however. "Everything's Coming Up Love" is fantastic but maybe not hit material. What do you think of "Let's Get Into Something", RanRan? Because [[you'll never believe it...) I love it! It's catchy has really grown on me; maybe that one should have been a single. BTW I have yet to fall in love with "Statue Of A Fool"... might have something to do it originally being a cringey country song!!!

I love "Let's Get Into Something" and I would give it a vote for hit single potential. I love country music so "Statue of a Fool" by David Ruffin or Jack Greene is still right up my alley. But no version tops David's in my book.

RanRan79
04-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Come on Tom don't think about that just listen to David singing Statue a few more times. I admit 'let's get into something' has grown on me to. I'm still on the fence with 'rode by the place' . Any views on Discover Me.

"Discover Me" is great too.

TomatoTom123
04-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Hehe, yes, McMotown, I try not too! I'm not a massive fan of the song as yet but I have started listening to it and hopefully it will grow on me, just like "Let's Get Into Something" did! "Rode By The Place" is really very excellent, it too is a grower, and something of a Northern Soul favourite. "Discover Me" is nice as well, with those angelic backing vocals from Faith, Hope & Charity. :)

TomatoTom123
04-25-2017, 01:41 PM
I love "Let's Get Into Something" and I would give it a vote for hit single potential. I love country music so "Statue of a Fool" by David Ruffin or Jack Greene is still right up my alley. But no version tops David's in my book.

Yes indeed, RanRan, "Let's Get Into Something" has a great, catchy hook! Another should-have-been-hit. I don't think it was even released as a single [[not even a B-Side) so there you go!!

Wow, RanRan, you like country music? That's interesting. May I ask why?

I'm not a fan of country, I have to say, it's a bit cringy and soulless for me. Of course Van McCoy's string-laden discofied do-over of "Statue" on top of David's soulFUL vocals mean that the song's country origin is barely recognisable. :)

RanRan79
04-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Yes indeed, RanRan, "Let's Get Into Something" has a great, catchy hook! Another should-have-been-hit. I don't think it was even released as a single [[not even a B-Side) so there you go!!

Wow, RanRan, you like country music? That's interesting. May I ask why?

I'm not a fan of country, I have to say, it's a bit cringy and soulless for me. Of course Van McCoy's string-laden discofied do-over of "Statue" on top of David's soulFUL vocals mean that the song's country origin is barely recognisable. :)

I grew up on country music. My family always had an eclectic taste in music. My grandparents are from the south so when they were growing up, aside from the gospel and blues they heard, country western music was something that was heavy on the radio. My grandmother loved it and interestingly she had the opportunity to sing at the Grand Ole Opry as an adult. [[She turned it down as she was afraid that a professional singing career of any kind would hinder her raising her children.) A lot of southern Black folks dig country. I myself frequently refer to it as white folks blues. I don't think of it as any less soulful than any other genre of music. But I guess it aint for everybody.

TomatoTom123
04-25-2017, 07:30 PM
I grew up on country music. My family always had an eclectic taste in music. My grandparents are from the south so when they were growing up, aside from the gospel and blues they heard, country western music was something that was heavy on the radio. My grandmother loved it and interestingly she had the opportunity to sing at the Grand Ole Opry as an adult. [[She turned it down as she was afraid that a professional singing career of any kind would hinder her raising her children.) A lot of southern Black folks dig country. I myself frequently refer to it as white folks blues. I don't think of it as any less soulful than any other genre of music. But I guess it aint for everybody.

No, that's fair enough, RanRan. Makes a lot of sense. You know, I had never though of it as "white blues"... that's interesting [[and quite apt). For me its still lacking that soulful quality, however... the vocals I always find a bit cringe-worthy and that twangy guitar thing is definitely not for me! LOL

Anyway, thanks for explaining. It's always interesting seeing people's different perspectives and preferences when it comes to music. I really appreciate your posts in this regard, thank you RanRan. ;)

Philles/Motown Gary
04-26-2017, 12:48 AM
No, that's fair enough, RanRan. Makes a lot of sense. You know, I had never though of it as "white blues"... that's interesting [[and quite apt). For me its still lacking that soulful quality, however... the vocals I always find a bit cringe-worthy and that twangy guitar thing is definitely not for me! LOL

Anyway, thanks for explaining. It's always interesting seeing people's different perspectives and preferences when it comes to music. I really appreciate your posts in this regard, thank you RanRan. ;)

Tom, Country music – like any type of music – comes in various forms and styles, just as Soul music ranged anywhere from the southern soul sound of Stax to the uptown pop glamor of Motown. Like you, I was never a fan of the old Country & Western. It was [[and still is) just too hokey and twangy for me. In the mid-1980s, however, Country music evolved into what they called the "New Hot Country" whose popularity, along with Country Line Dancing, spread like wildfire. Lasting throughout the 1980's and 1990s and into the early 2000's, it was a whole new sound – a powerful combination of Country and Pop – and, I can assure you, a lot of it was downright soulful, much of it stemming from R&B. That’s the kind of Country music that I collect. Here are just a few samples for you to hear for yourself:

WYNONNA JUDD - "Woman To Woman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-yCCigPks [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-yCCigPks)

REBA McENTIRE - "Why Haven’t I Heard From You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7vAbKTmus [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7vAbKTmus)

KEVIN SHARP - "Let Me Rock You To Sleep"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGgfnEffYw [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGgfnEffYw)

BR5-49 - "Too Lazy To Work [[Too Nervous To Steal)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBiwLrK7Cw [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBiwLrK7Cw)

Tom, your musical tastes and mine run very close. If I love the New Hot Country, which I do, I’m pretty sure that you’ll like it, too. All you need is a little exposure. [[If any of the above videos won’t play, let me know and I’ll see if I can find a replacement video that will.) - Gary

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Thanks Tom. It's the discussions about the music that keep this place going. Now I'm curious about what you think about the Supremes' country album?

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Phillies provides some excellent examples Tom.

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Tom, Country music – like any type of music – comes in various forms and styles, just as Soul music ranged anywhere from the southern soul sound of Stax to the uptown pop glamor of Motown. Like you, I was never a fan of the old Country & Western. It was [[and still is) just too hokey and twangy for me. In the mid-1980s, however, Country music evolved into what they called the "New Hot Country" whose popularity, along with Country Line Dancing, spread like wildfire. Lasting throughout the 1980's and 1990s and into the early 2000's, it was a whole new sound – a powerful combination of Country and Pop – and, I can assure you, a lot of it was downright soulful, much of it stemming from R&B. That’s the kind of Country music that I collect. Here are just a few samples for you to hear for yourself:

WYNONNA JUDD - "Woman To Woman"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-yCCigPks [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-yCCigPks)

REBA McENTIRE - "Why Haven’t I Heard From You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7vAbKTmus [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d7vAbKTmus)

KEVIN SHARP - "Let Me Rock You To Sleep"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGgfnEffYw [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKGgfnEffYw)

BR5-49 - "Too Lazy To Work [[Too Nervous To Steal)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBiwLrK7Cw [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBiwLrK7Cw)

Tom, your musical tastes and mine run very close. If I love the New Hot Country, which I do, I’m pretty sure that you’ll like it, too. All you need is a little exposure. [[If any of the above videos won’t play, let me know and I’ll see if I can find a replacement video that will.) - Gary

Ok, well, I have to say I liked those much more than I thought I would!! :) And thank you for explaining everything, Gary, as I had never heard of "Hot New Country" before. Interesting. And, you're right, more soulful.

[[BTW, the video for Kevin Sharp's "Let Me Rock You To Sleep" doesn't work and I couldn't find another one that does work!)

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Thanks Tom. It's the discussions about the music that keep this place going. Now I'm curious about what you think about the Supremes' country album?

Hehe... well..., I haven't really listened to it before... because it's got the word 'country' in the title... lol...

I will have a go and get back to you shortly! :)

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Hehe... well..., I haven't really listened to it before... because it's got the word 'country' in the title... lol...

I will have a go and get back to you shortly! :)

Oh dear... not a great album... kinda what I thought it might sound like

I also don't like doo-wop music, and most of the tracks on the album appear to be slow, countrified doo-wop songs, so, yea, not great for me. I quite like "Baby Doll", "You Didn't Care" is not bad, and "The Man With The Rock And Roll Banjo Band" is a bit cringy but relatively upbeat so I can enjoy it. Kinda. :)

How 'bout you, RanRan?

McMotown
04-26-2017, 01:44 PM

I also don't like doo-wop music, and most of the tracks on the album appear to be slow, countrified doo-wop songs, so, yea, not great for me. I quite like "Baby Doll", "You Didn't Care" is not bad, and "The Man With The Rock And Roll Banjo Band" is a bit cringy but relatively upbeat so I can enjoy it. Kinda. :)

How 'bout you, RanRan?

May I interupt and say I'm with Tom. I got the album a few years back tried it a few times and now unfortunately it's one of those at the back, which I have not listened to in ages.

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 02:38 PM

How 'bout you, RanRan?

LOL I figured you might not dig it since you don't care for the early country style. You don't like doowop either? Wow. Don't think I've ever heard [[or read) anybody say that before. Lol I LOVE doowop, and I guess the Supremes' roots in that era are evident on some of the cuts. It's one of my favorite albums of the Supremes. I love the harmony.

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 02:39 PM
May I interupt and say I'm with Tom. I got the album a few years back tried it a few times and now unfortunately it's one of those at the back, which I have not listened to in ages.

Just one of those things that make the world go round, all these different musical likes and dislikes.

johnjeb
04-26-2017, 02:42 PM

I bought The Supremes Country album in the Spring of 1966. It was my 9th Supremes' album, completing my collection to that point.

At the time, I liked it better than Liverpool and only a tad better than Sam Cooke. I still enjoy it for the harmonies and that Mary and Flo's voices are featured more prominently. I now consider it better than the Sam Cooke album and a few others. Although it's not in my Top Ten of their albums it's certainly not in my Bottom Ten.

When I was rounding out my collection in the Spring of 1966 I was excited to hear solos by Mary and Florence on Meet, Sam Cooke and CW&P. Then A' Go-Go was released and Mary had a solo. I was excited that we were getting solos from them, little did I know that was basically the end of that!

johnjeb
04-26-2017, 02:50 PM
LOL I figured you might not dig it since you don't care for the early country style. You don't like doowop either? Wow. Don't think I've ever heard [[or read) anybody say that before. Lol I LOVE doowop, and I guess the Supremes' roots in that era are evident on some of the cuts. It's one of my favorite albums of the Supremes. I love the harmony.

I, too, LOVE Doo-Wop - I have 4 boxed sets. I think that is why I enjoy the early Motown releases as much as their peak period and beyond. I love The Supremes WDOLG 40th Anniversary Disc 2 for the same reasons I like CW&P.

Although I've never heard anyone say they didn't like Doo-Wop, I had a work colleague who told me that he "hated" Motown! TWICE!!

Philles/Motown Gary
04-26-2017, 03:05 PM
Ok, well, I have to say I liked those much more than I thought I would!! :) And thank you for explaining everything, Gary, as I had never heard of "Hot New Country" before. Interesting. And, you're right, more soulful.

[[BTW, the video for Kevin Sharp's "Let Me Rock You To Sleep" doesn't work and I couldn't find another one that does work!)

You’re welcome, Tom. I discovered the New Hot Country music quite by chance back around 1985. I had an hour’s drive to work and back [[each direction) and needed some good driving music. I was so sick of the synthesized pop crap that the radio stations were playing, I started scanning different radio stations as an escape. I stopped on a song that was really different yet contained the usual ingredients of the music that I’ve always loved [[pop/soul with plenty of horns and strings and hot back-up vocals). As it turned out, it was a Country station. Believe me, I was just as surprised as you to think that I actually liked a genre of music which, up until then, I couldn’t stand! That was all it took! I programmed my car radio permanently to that station, and instantly became hooked! I made a mental list of the new tracks that I suddenly loved [[there were quite a few) and raced to the CD store to buy all of them. The rest, as they say, was history! [[NOTE: Whenever I embrace a new [[to me) style of music, it doesn’t replace the genres that I already love. It adds to them. I now love Country in addition to Philles, Motown, Philly Soul, Disco, Girl Groups, Classical Vocal, etc.) There was no betrayal of any kind!

BTW, I love most of the tracks on The Supremes "Sing Country, Western & Pop". I never sensed any likeness to doo-wop. To me, its best tracks are slow and bluesy, and those 3-part harmonies are gorgeous! Of course, "Baby Doll" is pure Motown and one of my favorites.

Tom, I don’t know why Kevin Sharp’s "Let Me Rock You To Sleep" won’t play. I wasn’t able to find another video of it, either. Maybe it was just a fluke. Let’s try it again. I hope it will work this time because it’s a beautiful lullaby. [[Poor Kevin was a spokesperson for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He beat cancer as a teen, and then died from it in his early 40's once he became a successful recording artist. So very unfair.

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 03:26 PM

WOW! Really? One of your favourite Supremes albums? That's so fascinating; we listen to the same album and hear completely different things, RanRan!!!

And, yes, hehe, I don't like really like doo-wop either so I'm not a massive fan of early Supremes stuff [[or early Motown stuff in general). I really can't stand that weird ondioline organ you get and the harmonies just seem too "raw" or something. I don't know, doo-wop always sounds so dated whenever I listen to it... I think the genre is just way too slow and depressing for me... LOL

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Yea, McMotown, I don't blame you!!! Lol

Interestingly the album was released during peak Supremes-mania, in 1965 [[by which time the recordings were already 3 years old!). I guess as Motown thought that crazed Supremes fans would just buy anything with the group's name on it... Lol

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 03:53 PM
You’re welcome, Tom. I discovered the New Hot Country music quite by chance back around 1985. I had an hour’s drive to work and back [[each direction) and needed some good driving music. I was so sick of the synthesized pop crap that the radio stations were playing, I started scanning different radio stations as an escape. I stopped on a song that was really different yet contained the usual ingredients of the music that I’ve always loved [[pop/soul with plenty of horns and strings and hot back-up vocals). As it turned out, it was a Country station. Believe me, I was just as surprised as you to think that I actually liked a genre of music which, up until then, I couldn’t stand! That was all it took! I programmed my car radio permanently to that station, and instantly became hooked! I made a mental list of the new tracks that I suddenly loved [[there were quite a few) and raced to the CD store to buy all of them. The rest, as they say, was history! [[NOTE: Whenever I embrace a new [[to me) style of music, it doesn’t replace the genres that I already love. It adds to them. I now love Country in addition to Philles, Motown, Philly Soul, Disco, Girl Groups, Classical Vocal, etc.) There was no betrayal of any kind!

Gary, that's so great! I get the whole "radio station hatred" thing 'cause all that '80s synthesised stuff can be a bit grating. And so can today's pop music!!

I would love to expand my music collection like yours but, even if I like a song, sometimes it doesn't "feel" right that I like it. I know that sounds completely insane [[ha!) but, for example, while I might like The Temptations' 1987 track "I Wonder Who She's Seeing Now" very much, simply knowing that the group weren't riding high on the charts, making progressive, ground-breaking soul music in Motown's glorious mid-'60s period [[and were having to try and adapt to '80s music) means that the song doesn't feel right to me.

It's the same with some of these songs you posted, Gary. I do quite like them but just knowing that they are "country" songs makes me throw up in the mouth [[LOLOL... OK, maybe not). Ahhh, I don't know!

BTW, I love most of the tracks on The Supremes "Sing Country, Western & Pop". I never sensed any likeness to doo-wop. To me, its best tracks are slow and bluesy, and those 3-part harmonies are gorgeous! Of course, "Baby Doll" is pure Motown and one of my favorites.

Oh! I thought they sounded quite doo-wop-ish. Then again I probably don't listen to enough doo-wop to know that they do. I know I'm going to sound even more insane [[HA!) but I'm not a massive fan of early 'blues' as a genre either so maybe that's why I don't really like them. But you're right about "Baby Doll", Gary, which is very nice!

Tom, I don’t know why Kevin Sharp’s "Let Me Rock You To Sleep" won’t play. I wasn’t able to find another video of it, either. Maybe it was just a fluke. Let’s try it again. I hope it will work this time because it’s a beautiful lullaby. [[Poor Kevin was a spokesperson for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He beat cancer as a teen, and then died from it in his early 40's once he became a successful recording artist. So very unfair.

Sadly that one doesn't work either! I think it's one of the videos uploaded to YouTube by the music company and they don't play here in the UK for some annoyingly bizarre reason!!!

And that is so sad about Kevin. I will have to find a way to listen to that song and pay my respects.

McMotown
04-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Follow ups that should have been hits, but what could have followed The Temps 'Just My Immagination' there are a few close ones. However could they have really topped that?

johnjeb
04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Interestingly the album was released during peak Supremes-mania, in 1965 [[by which time the recordings were already 3 years old!). I guess as Motown thought that crazed Supremes fans would just buy anything with the group's name on it... Lol

I did! And almost still do!!

Motown Eddie
04-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Follow ups that should have been hits, but what could have followed The Temps 'Just My Immagination' there are a few close ones. However could they have really topped that?

The Temptations followed 1971's 'Just My Imagination', with the uptempo hit, 'Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)'. The group didn't come close to coming up with another ballad like 'Imagination' [[as a single release) until 'Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)' in 1973. And no; they couldn't top 'Just My Imagination' [[I remember hearing an interview with Otis Williams stating that 'Imagination' is The Tempts biggest selling single).

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 06:19 PM

Yes, what a great question, McMotown! What could have followed "Just My Imagination"... hmm, well, "Man" off The Tempts' Sky's The Limit has that beautiful "Imagination"-feel about it, but it is a socially-conscious, slightly psychedelic song with a metronome ticking all the way through it!! I'm listening now to "Gonna Keep On Tryin' 'Til I Win Your Love" and, you know, I think that could have been a great follow-up. A beautiful mid-tempo ballad that has a nice build-up. I should add that both "Man" and "Gonna Keep Tryin'" have Eddie Kendricks on lead. Of course by the time the group had to follow-up on "Imagination", things had changed quite significantly and not only did the follow-up song [well, the one after "It's Summer", thank you for the correction, blackguy] "Superstar" NOT feature Eddie on lead, but it was also a direct attack on him!!!

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 06:28 PM
At the time, I liked it better than Liverpool and only a tad better than Sam Cooke. I still enjoy it for the harmonies and that Mary and Flo's voices are featured more prominently. I now consider it better than the Sam Cooke album and a few others. Although it's not in my Top Ten of their albums it's certainly not in my Bottom Ten.

I definitely like CWP better than Liverpool, which I never really cared for, aside from a couple of songs. Although the girls sound great on it. I probably like Sam Cooke as much as CWP. All three albums were excellent at showing just how great the girls were though.

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 06:34 PM
I, too, LOVE Doo-Wop - I have 4 boxed sets. I think that is why I enjoy the early Motown releases as much as their peak period and beyond. I love The Supremes WDOLG 40th Anniversary Disc 2 for the same reasons I like CW&P.

Although I've never heard anyone say they didn't like Doo-Wop, I had a work colleague who told me that he "hated" Motown! TWICE!!

Do you have the Meet the Supremes expanded? The Supremes early roots really shine on that collection too. I'm a fan of group harmony so I'm crazy about the doowop era.

What I love about music is that everyone has their own thing that they dig and things that they don't. It's art, so it shouldn't affect everyone the same way. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they hate Motown. Lol I'm always floored when I hear people say they don't like Aretha Franklin. In my mind it just doesn't get any better than the Queen but apparently some folks feel differently and I respect that. These artists can't be everything to everybody. I actually think it makes things more interesting that everyone's likes and dislikes can be so different.

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 06:36 PM
To me, its best tracks are slow and bluesy, and those 3-part harmonies are gorgeous! Of course, "Baby Doll" is pure Motown and one of my favorites.

Agreed about the best tracks. Gotta disagree about "Baby Doll". I hate it. Lol

RanRan79
04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Yea, McMotown, I don't blame you!!! Lol

Apparently most of the vocals that ended up on the final product were recorded in late 1964. The original 1963 cuts ended up on Motown Unreleased 1963 and Supremes Lost and Found [[in addition to "My Heart Can't Take It No More" and "Rock and Roll Banjo Band"). This would also explain why "Baby Doll" never sounded like 1963 Motown to me. It makes much more sense that it was recorded in 1964.

blackguy69
04-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Actually the following up to Just My Imagination was the remake of Its summer. When that flopped, then they switched gears and Superstar was released.
The Temptations followed 1971's 'Just My Imagination', with the uptempo hit, 'Superstar [[Remember How You Got Where You Are)'. The group didn't come close to coming up with another ballad like 'Imagination' [[as a single release) until 'Hey Girl [[I Like Your Style)' in 1973. And no; they couldn't top 'Just My Imagination' [[I remember hearing an interview with Otis Williams stating that 'Imagination' is The Tempts biggest selling single).

TomatoTom123
04-26-2017, 07:44 PM
Apparently most of the vocals that ended up on the final product were recorded in late 1964. The original 1963 cuts ended up on Motown Unreleased 1963 and Supremes Lost and Found [[in addition to "My Heart Can't Take It No More" and "Rock and Roll Banjo Band"). This would also explain why "Baby Doll" never sounded like 1963 Motown to me. It makes much more sense that it was recorded in 1964.

Ah, I see! Thanks for the info, RanRan. And, yea, "Baby Doll" sounds more like classic 1964 Motown we all know and love. Interestingly it was co-written by [[Little) Stevie Wonder, who was then just 13/14, which makes The Supremes the first act [[other than Stevie) to record one of Stevie's songs.

johnjeb
04-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Do you have the Meet the Supremes expanded? The Supremes early roots really shine on that collection too. I'm a fan of group harmony so I'm crazy about the doowop era.

What I love about music is that everyone has their own thing that they dig and things that they don't. It's art, so it shouldn't affect everyone the same way. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they hate Motown. Lol I'm always floored when I hear people say they don't like Aretha Franklin. In my mind it just doesn't get any better than the Queen but apparently some folks feel differently and I respect that. These artists can't be everything to everybody. I actually think it makes things more interesting that everyone's likes and dislikes can be so different.

Yes, I definitely have Meet Expanded and love it - just didn't mention it in my post. I bought the original [[with blue cover) in 1966. When I met Supremes fans in the 70s I introduced them to Meet and CW&P.

I guess when someone mentions they don't like a particular artist or performer it probably has to do with their exposure to that artist. When the Stones came on the scene I didn't like them. When Satisfaction came out in 1965 I loved that song and soon liked almost everything by them, everything that came before and since.

One time I told a Beatles collector and dealer that I didn't like The Beatles and didn't clarify my comment. Actually, I misspoke. Since I was attending a record show I should have said I don't collect them but enjoy their music.

I love the Early Beatles but not a big fan of later Beatles albums, although I liked all of their singles. My youngest brother, by 15 years, who was born in 1964 prefers later Beatles over their earlier releases.

And to add a comment to the focus of this thread, I never liked Just My Imagination by The Temptations until about a year ago when I watched a video. I prefer any of the follow-ups that were mentioned: It's Summer and Superstar.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Agreed about the best tracks. Gotta disagree about "Baby Doll". I hate it. Lol
Really? Well, RanRan79, it just goes to show ya. One man's treasure is another man's junk! "Baby Doll" and "Funny How Time Slips Away" are my two favorites from that album.

thanxal
04-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Really? Well, RanRan79, it just goes to show ya. One man's treasure is another man's junk! "Baby Doll" and "Funny How Time Slips Away" are my two favorites from that album.
I've always found this LP interesting. At that time the "Nashville Sound" was established with Patsy Cline and Brenda Lee and others hitting it big. I agree that "Baby Doll" is very Motown-sound. I think the CW&P Motown was trying to replicate might have been earlier, say mid-1950s. I have a new found appreciation for Brenda Lee and her stuff at exactly this time is more modern, pop feeling. Its funny how country was trying to be pop and pop [[or Motown) was trying to be country. Ella Fitzgerald even had a country album a few years later in 1968 [[which I hate; among the very few Ella albums I don't like). But as P/MG stated...one man's junk...

TomatoTom123
04-27-2017, 02:48 AM
Yes, I definitely have Meet Expanded and love it - just didn't mention it in my post. I bought the original [[with blue cover) in 1966. When I met Supremes fans in the 70s I introduced them to Meet and CW&P.

I guess when someone mentions they don't like a particular artist or performer it probably has to do with their exposure to that artist. When the Stones came on the scene I didn't like them. When Satisfaction came out in 1965 I loved that song and soon liked almost everything by them, everything that came before and since.

One time I told a Beatles collector and dealer that I didn't like The Beatles and didn't clarify my comment. Actually, I misspoke. Since I was attending a record show I should have said I don't collect them but enjoy their music.

I love the Early Beatles but not a big fan of later Beatles albums, although I liked all of their singles. My youngest brother, by 15 years, who was born in 1964 prefers later Beatles over their earlier releases.

And to add a comment to the focus of this thread, I never liked Just My Imagination by The Temptations until about a year ago when I watched a video. I prefer any of the follow-ups that were mentioned: It's Summer and Superstar.

Hey john, I know what you mean about "Just My Imagination"... it took me ages to appreciate the song for what it truly is: a masterpiece! It's a beautiful ballad [[those heavenly strings!) and it really grows on you too. I'm pretty sure I liked "Superstar" the first time I heard it; it's feisty and funky and grabs you upon first listen!

McMotown
04-27-2017, 04:12 AM
Love those Temps tracks 'it's summer' & 'Superstar' too, but the other stand out ballad apart from 'Hey Girl [[Like your Style)'I thought should have been big is 'Heavenly'

TomatoTom123
04-27-2017, 06:05 AM
Love those Temps tracks 'it's summer' & 'Superstar' too, but the other stand out ballad apart from 'Hey Girl [[Like your Style)'I thought should have been big is 'Heavenly'

Love "Superstar" by both The Temptations and The Undisputed Truth [[the instrumental track for which is absolutely fantastic!) but can't remember being particularly impressed with "It's Summer"... I'l give it another listen.

McMotown, I just adore "Hey Girl" and think it could and should have been been almost as big as "Just My Imagination". Richard Street gives a stellar vocal performance! "Heavenly" is delightful too.

TomatoTom123
04-27-2017, 06:09 AM
Love "Superstar" by both The Temptations and The Undisputed Truth [[the instrumental track for which is absolutely fantastic!) but can't remember being particularly impressed with "It's Summer"...

Yet again, I'm talking nonsense [[LOL) 'cause I just listened and "It's Summer" is great!

Motown Eddie
04-27-2017, 06:28 AM
Actually the following up to Just My Imagination was the remake of Its summer. When that flopped, then they switched gears and Superstar was released.

My mistake; I forgot about The Temptations remake of "It's Summer" as the next single after "Just My Imagination". I always thought the original version of "Summer" [[from Psychedelic Shack) was so much better.

McMotown
04-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Sorry While mentioning a few Temps ballads anyone care for 'Stay'. Just to note I do love all things by The Temptations.

TomatoTom123
04-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Sorry While mentioning a few Temps ballads anyone care for 'Stay'. Just to note I do love all things by The Temptations.

Absolutely love "Stay", McMotown! Such a clever song, retro and current at the same time.

McMotown
04-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Absolutely love "Stay", McMotown! Such a clever song, retro and current at the same time.

You are so right Tom

kenneth
04-27-2017, 10:31 AM
I definitely like CWP better than Liverpool, which I never really cared for, aside from a couple of songs. Although the girls sound great on it. I probably like Sam Cooke as much as CWP. All three albums were excellent at showing just how great the girls were though.

I have always loved the Supremes C&W album because of the beautiful arrangements and harmonies. Although many might disagree [[including my buddy Gary), I never liked the more sanitized sounding Andantes backgrounds as much as Mary and Flo who were so distinctive together. I think the Andantes were fine backing up, say, Wanda on the Return of the Marvelettes LP. Their voices blend very nicely with Wanda's. But I think the Supremes lost something when Mary and Flo got buried [[or ignored) in the backgrounds.

I enjoy the early LPs for that reason even more than I did back in the day because now I really can hear who's singing in the background and it adds so much, even for example on "Meet the Supremes" where the sound is raw but the earnestness and innocence are on full display, just like on the Marvelettes "Postman" or other early LPs.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-27-2017, 11:46 AM
I have always loved the Supremes C&W album because of the beautiful arrangements and harmonies. Although many might disagree [[including my buddy Gary), I never liked the more sanitized sounding Andantes backgrounds as much as Mary and Flo who were so distinctive together. I think the Andantes were fine backing up, say, Wanda on the Return of the Marvelettes LP. Their voices blend very nicely with Wanda's. But I think the Supremes lost something when Mary and Flo got buried [[or ignored) in the backgrounds.

You're right, Kenny -- I DO disagree. LOL! I love The Andantes on EVERYTHING!!! Can't get enough of them!

RanRan79
04-27-2017, 03:04 PM

Well I think sometimes they just don't like that particular artist. Lol You mention the Beatles. I am not a fan. I've never understood the appeal. I think as songwriters they crafted some indisputable gems. But other than that I am not interested, never have been, never will be. They don't move me. Kind of what I hear from some folks about the Supremes. You can't help who moves you and who doesn't.

As for "Just My Imagination", I know folks go crazy over it but it's never blown me away. I don't hate it. And I definitely understand why it's so appealing to so many, but it just doesn't grab me the way it does so many others. I'm a huge Eddie Kendricks fan [[I actually prefer him to David Ruffin) and even he can't get this song to grab my soul. I definitely prefer "It's Summer" to "Imagination".

RanRan79
04-27-2017, 03:06 PM

I love "Funny How Time Slips Away". One of Diana's best vocal performances of the early period.

Philles/Motown Gary
04-27-2017, 04:07 PM
I love "Funny How Time Slips Away". One of Diana's best vocal performances of the early period.
You're so right, RanRan79. Diana's lead on that track is really exceptional! And the back-up vocals are immaculate. Motown at its finest!

luke
04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
I agree Johnjeb. Some good stuff on C&W. love Mary and Flo solos too e.g. It makes no difference now. I forget-. What was Mary's solo on Sam Cooke?

RanRan79
04-27-2017, 06:03 PM
I agree Johnjeb. Some good stuff on C&W. love Mary and Flo solos too e.g. It makes no difference now. I forget-. What was Mary's solo on Sam Cooke?

She doesn't have a lead on Sam Cooke. But I think she would have done just as good a job as Diana on "You Send Me" and a better job on "A Change Is Gonna Come".

johnjeb
04-27-2017, 09:09 PM

As stated by RanRan79, Mary doesn't have a solo on the Sam Cooke album.

In my post I was just referring, in general, to the solo opportunities both Mary and Florence had on many of their earlier albums, up to and including, A' Go-Go.

TomatoTom123
04-28-2017, 12:57 PM
You are so right Tom

Thanks McMotown, it is a great song isn't it?

You know, I love how The Tempts can sample their own track [[which was then some 30 yrs old!)... it just goes to show what a legendary group they are!

And I just love how Otis Williams, although he doesn't sing, has an excellent spoken word passage!!! Reminds me of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"... :)

McMotown
04-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Hi Tom now you've brought up the Temps with the Supremes one of of my favourites from the both of them is 'Funky Broadway' you got any particular favourite?

TomatoTom123
04-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Hi Tom now you've brought up the Temps with the Supremes one of of my favourites from the both of them is 'Funky Broadway' you got any particular favourite?

You know, McMotown, I hadn't really listened to The Tempts' duets with The Supremes very much before, but of course I know and love "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", which is a classic and probably my personal favourite! Simply sublime. And one of Eddie's best vocals performances!!!

And "Funky Broadway" is great! Nice fuzzy guitar. I also love "Why [[Must We Fall In Love)" and "Not Now, I'll Tell You Later", which is actually just a Temptations song from 1963 with The Supremes on backing vocals I believe. :)

luke
04-28-2017, 08:22 PM
I love Then and I'm Try Something New and of course their duet of Im losing you with David

McMotown
04-29-2017, 12:18 PM
You know, McMotown, I hadn't really listened to The Tempts' duets with The Supremes very much before, but of course I know and love "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", which is a classic and probably my personal favourite! Simply sublime. And one of Eddie's best vocals performances!!!

And "Funky Broadway" is great! Nice fuzzy guitar. I also love "Why [[Must We Fall In Love)" and "Not Now, I'll Tell You Later", which is actually just a Temptations song from 1963 with The Supremes on backing vocals I believe. :)

Yes 'I'm Gonna Make Love Me' is a classic Eddie vocal, It's one of my favourites. 'Not Now' from one of the classic Temps Album Gettin' Ready every track a classic

TomatoTom123
05-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Yes 'I'm Gonna Make Love Me' is a classic Eddie vocal, It's one of my favourites. 'Not Now' from one of the classic Temps Album Gettin' Ready every track a classic

Oh, tell me about it, McMotown! I mean, "Get Ready" AND "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" in the same one album?! It's already overflowing with classics! Hehe ;)

TomatoTom123
05-01-2017, 07:48 PM
I love Then and I'm Try Something New and of course their duet of Im losing you with David

They did a duet version of "I'm Losing You"...!!?? Why did I not know this?? Lol

I'll have to check those songs out right now! Thanks for the post, luke :)

TomatoTom123
05-01-2017, 07:51 PM
They did a duet version of "I'm Losing You"...!!?? Why did I not know this?? Lol

I couldn't find a Supremes studio recording of "I'm Losing You"? There is a live recording, however... is that the one you mean? :)

biggestfourtops fan
05-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I couldn't find a Supremes studio recording of "I'm Losing You"? There is a live recording, however... is that the one you mean? :)

I think they're referring to the Ed Sullivan performance. The each did their own songs then did a medley together.

TomatoTom123
05-02-2017, 01:01 AM
I think they're referring to the Ed Sullivan performance. The each did their own songs then did a medley together.

Yea, thanks fourtopsfan.

McMotown
05-02-2017, 07:42 AM
I have the original vinyl album of Gettin' Ready but just noticed the CD has two extra tracks, are they any good?

TomatoTom123
05-02-2017, 08:11 AM
I have the original vinyl album of Gettin' Ready but just noticed the CD has two extra tracks, are they any good?

Hey McMotown, I don't have the CD but I believe the two bonus tracks are "The Man Who Don't Believe In Love" and "Give It Up". The former I have listened to many times before and it is excellent! The song's a slow burner with a stellar performance from Paul Williams. Marv Johnson actually produced the track and recorded his own version shortly afterwards I believe. "Give It Up" I don't think I have ever heard before but I shall listen to it now and get back to you :)

RanRan79
05-02-2017, 12:02 PM
McMotown "Give It Up" is one of my favorite Tempts songs. I play it often. Wish it had made the original album.

McMotown
05-02-2017, 01:18 PM
Thanks RanRan and Tom I'm excited now, is there somewhere I can listen to these 2 tracks on-line?

TomatoTom123
05-02-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks RanRan and Tom I'm excited now, is there somewhere I can listen to these 2 tracks on-line?

Hey, McMotown, luckily they're both on YouTube! I'll post the videos here right now for you :)

I listened to "Give It Up" by the way and it's great, but not as good as "The Man Who Dont Believe In Love" IMO. I just love "The Man"'s delightful calypso-styled rhythms and Paul's wonderful lead vocal!

TomatoTom123
05-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Here's "Give It Up"...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_cRH66FdQ

And "The Man Who Don't Believe In Love"...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYPNYF9aUVw

Enjoy!! :D

McMotown
05-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Many thanks Tom, damn they don't seem to play on my tablet I'll get on my computer tomorrow now.

TomatoTom123
05-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Many thanks Tom, damn they don't seem to play on my tablet I'll get on my computer tomorrow now.

Ah, McMotown, I have found that happens on my iPhone as well... I think I have found a way to to get round it...

Basically, you have to make make your webpage appear in "desktop" mode. You can usually do this by holding the refresh button in the search bar until "request desktop site" comes up and then tap it. If you're on YouTube, tap on the 'three dots' icon in the top right hand corner and then tap 'desktop'... hopefully they will then play! :)

McMotown
05-03-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks Tom, yeah both great tracks. Oh dear got to save my peenies to get them to ha ha ha ha. 'The Man Who Don't Believe In Love' reminds me of another great lead by Paul 'I Want A Love I Can See'

McMotown
05-03-2017, 01:33 PM
What about Chris Clark's singles that followed 'Love's Gone Bad' now for me 'Head To Toe' should have made it big. However maybe some prefer the Miracles version.

TomatoTom123
05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks Tom, yeah both great tracks. Oh dear got to save my peenies to get them to ha ha ha ha. 'The Man Who Don't Believe In Love' reminds me of another great lead by Paul 'I Want A Love I Can See'

McMotown, you're so right! I was literally just thinking the same thing... in fact I had started to hum "The Man Who Dont Believe In Love" and inadvertently did the intro to "I Want A Love I Can See" instead!!! :D

TomatoTom123
05-03-2017, 02:08 PM
What about Chris Clark's singles that followed 'Love's Gone Bad' now for me 'Head To Toe' should have made it big. However maybe some prefer the Miracles version.

That's a hard one... I like both! Just love that infectious, non-stop drumming on Chris' version. But I love Smokey's original too... especially the chorus when all The Miracles come together to do the "your-or-or-s from head to toe" bit!!

Chris' coulda and shoulda been a hit but the song it was following-up "Love's Gone Bad" wasn't even a very big hit in itself I don't believe! I also might have gone with the cracking unreleasing track "Something's Wrong" as a follow-up... :)

McMotown
05-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Tom I have to agree with you again on both counts, that bit with The Miracles does do it. And yes Something's Wrong was another missed opportunity.

TomatoTom123
05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Tom I have to agree with you again on both counts, that bit with The Miracles does do it. And yes Something's Wrong was another missed opportunity.

Thanks McMotown. We should mention what a clever and wonderfully-written song "From Head To Toe" is... of course both versions were written and produced by Smokey himself!

"Something's Wrong" is a stone cold killer... a rollicking Northern Soul floorfiller... a pounding non-stop thriller... I just love it!

BTW I believe Chris re-recorded "From Head To Love" for Ian Levine and his Motorcity Records label... and that version ain't half bad either, especially Chris' vocal... :)

McMotown
05-04-2017, 03:56 AM
Tom I'll check that out. Yes Chris has great vocals. Her, Tammi and Gladys were the top female vocalist for me.

TomatoTom123
05-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Tom I'll check that out. Yes Chris has great vocals. Her, Tammi and Gladys were the top female vocalist for me.

Yes indeed, you don't get any better than Empress of Soul, Gladys Knight! :)

Cosmic Truth
05-11-2017, 12:30 AM

I agree. It's, by far, my favourite Supremes track.

TomatoTom123
05-20-2017, 06:06 PM
I agree. It's, by far, my favourite Supremes track.

It is so utterly, utterly fantastic!! But what would you follow it up with? I believe Motown went with "Touch", which is very nice but not a hit IMO. Especially after the feisty and funky "Nathan Jones"...! :)

RanRan79
05-21-2017, 03:31 PM
It is so utterly, utterly fantastic!! But what would you follow it up with? I believe Motown went with "Touch", which is very nice but not a hit IMO. Especially after the feisty and funky "Nathan Jones"...! :)

I think I'm in the minority on Nathan. It's not a bad song, it just doesn't do anything for me. If I were going to choose a song from the album other than "Touch" to follow Nathan up, it might be "Here Comes the Sunrise". If the decision was going to be made to swing right into Promises Kept after "Nathan Jones", I would have either chosen "Tears Left Over" or "Take Your Dreams Back".

TomatoTom123
05-21-2017, 07:37 PM
I think I'm in the minority on Nathan. It's not a bad song, it just doesn't do anything for me. If I were going to choose a song from the album other than "Touch" to follow Nathan up, it might be "Here Comes the Sunrise". If the decision was going to be made to swing right into Promises Kept after "Nathan Jones", I would have either chosen "Tears Left Over" or "Take Your Dreams Back".

Oh, no, not this again, RanRan! More musical disagreements, eh? Sigh... lol

I agree on your other points though; "Here Comes The Sunrise" is great, and, oh, my, I just LOVE "Take Your Dreams Back"... can't believe it wasn't even released. It's funky and has a great, catchy hook!

RanRan79
05-22-2017, 10:38 AM
Oh, no, not this again, RanRan! More musical disagreements, eh? Sigh... lol

I agree on your other points though; "Here Comes The Sunrise" is great, and, oh, my, I just LOVE "Take Your Dreams Back"... can't believe it wasn't even released. It's funky and has a great, catchy hook!

Hey, we can't dig all of the same stuff. Lol Yes, "Sunrise" is fantastic. I think it may have captured the public's attention more than "Touch". "Take Your Dreams Back" is so good. I really think it had what it took to be a hit.