PDA

View Full Version : Finished playing my copy of the Mirettes CD

test

daviddesper
04-04-2017, 11:43 PM
I got lucky last week and caught Dusty Groove at a time when they had copies and much to my surprise it arrived in very short order. Just finished listening to it today and it brought back a ton of memories of the original LPs.

Sound quality is great, it has at least "some" liner notes telling the story of the group and their connection to the Ikettes, and I hope this label will continue to mine the vaults and give us what other labels won't.

As we have been howling about on here over the years, how about re-issuing all four Hodges, James and Smith albums? Two two-fers would take care of it!

PeaceNHarmony
04-05-2017, 08:45 AM
I got lucky last week and caught Dusty Groove at a time when they had copies and much to my surprise it arrived in very short order. Just finished listening to it today and it brought back a ton of memories of the original LPs.

Sound quality is great, it has at least "some" liner notes telling the story of the group and their connection to the Ikettes, and I hope this label will continue to mine the vaults and give us what other labels won't.

As we have been howling about on here over the years, how about re-issuing all four Hodges, James and Smith albums? Two two-fers would take care of it!
I also lucked out about a month ago, reacting quickly to a 'back in stock' e-mail from Dusty Groove [[they are my favorite shop). I too think the sound is excellent; the price is good, and I encourage all cd-philes to pick up a copy -

DBF
06-19-2017, 05:27 AM
and I hope this label will continue to mine the vaults and give us what other labels won't.

By "mine the vaults", you mean stealing the intellectual property of the artists, labels and songwriters by unlawfully releasing these bootleg CDs?

I hope they don't, because the people who are running these labels are trash and don't deserve to illegally profit from other peoples work. The artists and songwriters don't see a dime from the sales of these CDs. And fueling the market for these suss titles does nothing to help legitimate labels who very work hard and spend a lot of money to license these kinds of recordings legally.

Boogiedown
06-21-2017, 12:10 AM
daviddesper,
Don't let anyone attempt to make you feel bad about choosing to no longer deny yourself the music you seek, especially on the off-chance that maybe some day , some way ... To heck with that, get that music you enjoy anyway you can , while you can , and then play it to your heart's content. Life is too short !!!

lakeside
06-21-2017, 06:45 AM
I totally agree with Boodiedown! I'd love to see the artists get the
royalties they deserve....but, having the music released keeps their
name and music out there for people to love and appreciate and gain new fans. This music sitting around in vaults is benefiting no one.

daviddesper
06-21-2017, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys. I have to admit I was a little taken aback when I thought all I did was express some genuine admiration for some great music from a great era. I understand that person's point, but as you guys say, just being able to hear the music again should be the goal. I certainly was not making any kind of political statement.

DBF
06-22-2017, 07:28 PM
It wasn't an attack on you, daviddesper, but your post didn't come across like expressing admiration for the music; but rather admiration for this suss label. And a call for them to release some more bootlegs.

TomatoTom123
06-22-2017, 07:49 PM
It wasn't an attack on you, daviddesper, but your post didn't come across like expressing admiration for the music; but rather admiration for this suss label. And a call for them to release some more bootlegs.

Are Dusty Groove a bootleg label?! I thought they were official!! I was tricked by their website :p

daviddesper
06-26-2017, 11:35 PM

Looking back at my original post, I can most definitely see that your reaction to me was justified. But my excitement was then and still is about finally having this music on CD. You see, I grew up in the 60s, listening to what I consider some of the best soul music to ever hit the airwaves. Vinyl was of course our only option back then.

So when the CD era came along and it became possible to get all that great music re-issued, I was like a kid in a candy store and I have spent hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, as I am sure many of you have, re-acquainting myself with the music I grew up listening to. So any comment I have ever made is just about the sheer thrill of having the music to listen to, and when I order something I want, I honestly do not give any thought to what label it is on or who is releasing it. I just selfishly want it for my collection.

As for the legality and the way the artists are treated, I did not cause that to happen, and if anyone is to blame, it would be the labels themselves for not protecting their artists and for refusing to legitimately release the music.

I guess what i am saying is that it is better, in my opinion, to finally have the music available, no matter how it comes about, than it is to have it lost forever. If I was one of these artists who do not receive royalties, but yet I knew people were still enjoying my music long after my career was over, I would still find some satisfaction just from knowing that I was still remembered and appreciated.